As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Caffeine] must flow.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I definitely enjoy coffee though. I actually haven't been to the major local roaster since last year when I was picking up coffee for @Abracadaniel‌ for Satans. I really should go down there and get some things. I also haven't used my press in maybe 6 months?

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I love coffee.

I'm thinking about getting something fancy so I can have fancy coffee on the weekends.

I have no time during the week, so I have a Keurig. I know, shut up.

I generally buy Caribou Day Break blend for that.

The coffee at work tastes like dirt water.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    @Abracadaniel‌ Do you think you're gonna get more notifications in this thread or the tech thread

cabsyUsagi
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I'm about to bust out my Clever Coffee Dripper because the carafe is empty but I just need ONE MORE CUP.

brDe918.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Mmmmmm probably 50/50 split

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    i keep thinking the beeftank thread is the reeftank thread and getting excited then sad

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Coffee is great.

I also put caffeinated hot chocolate mix in my refrigerator oatmeal this morning. That seems like a dark path to have started down but eh.

What do folks who know recommend if you want a pot of coffee, not just a single cup? Aeropress and pour over and whatever sounds great but between my wife and I we need mass quantities, ain't nobody with two kids under 5 have time for waiting on single cups.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Coffee is great.

I also put caffeinated hot chocolate mix in my refrigerator oatmeal this morning. That seems like a dark path to have started down but eh.

What do folks who know recommend if you want a pot of coffee, not just a single cup? Aeropress and pour over and whatever sounds great but between my wife and I we need mass quantities, ain't nobody with two kids under 5 have time for waiting on single cups.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0000AN3QK/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1421247693&sr=1-4&keywords=large+stove-top+espresso

forumsig.png
    Coffee is great.

This Bonavita that I bought hasn't let me down. Brews at a proper temperature, glass lined thermal carafe keeps coffee hot for about 2 hours and no hot plate to burn the coffee. I'm going to buy a separate thermos because 8 cups is a little small and if we have company over I'll want to brew, dump it in the thermos and then immediately brew a second pot.

brDe918.jpg
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    With the recent acquisition of a new kettle and the triumphant return of my french press, thinking about picking up a chemex or pourover dripper to add to the roster. Anyone have feelings on one or the other?

Kinda wondering - for the coffee fanatics - if there's any type of bean that really shines in either a press or a pourover situation (more than another)?

not-real-edit-edit: @Peen‌ I know they make french presses in larger format. My old boss used to have a 12-cup size he'd bring in for meetings.

Bean - Kona.

Pourover - I really enjoy my Clever Coffee Dripper.

brDe918.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Coffee is the fucking light.

My coffee system is simple and elegant.

I use my Hario single-cup pourover for two separate cups, one which I drink while I pour the second, which I take to work.

Blonde roasts and African beans are where I tend to hover, although right now I'm drinking a blend made specifically for a bakery/brewhouse here in town by the coffee roasters I've found I really like, and it's been great.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    AbracadanielbsjezzPeter EbelNaphtaliSier
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Coffee is great.

Chemex, brews a whole carafe of coffee but with the same method as a single cup pourover.

Or that Bonavita or a Technivorm Moccamaster but those are $Texas

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    No shit, I hadn't looked at Chemex in a while and didn't realize they had giant carafes now. That's probably the way to go, thanks.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I finally got an espresso machine a few years ago that has a proper pump in it, instead of just being steam generated pressure. Then I broke it in about 1 year. I need to bite it and just buy a 400$ one.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I always feel like I should switch to a french press or pour over or something instead of my crappy drip coffee maker, but the extra steps and effort in the morning just seems like too much. Plus I'm too lazy to buy good coffee grounds half the time anyway, let alone even grind them myself, so I figure it'd probably be wasted on me.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    To quote Blues Traveler, "I like coffee and I like tea".

The former pretty much two cups in the morning and the latter I enjoy with lunch, particularly when it's cold outside.

I do not like iced tea. I like my tea hot and unsweetened, except perhaps with a wee bit of honey because I'm a classy ponce of a man.

Mortal Sky
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    No I do not.

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    tea is utter garbagewater

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    FAQ wrote: »

NO U

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    cAfUcfe.jpg

joshofalltradesPsykomaRaijin QuickfootDonovan PuppyfuckerJebusUDRhesus PositivecabsyLost SalientDarmakMelokuNoisymunkUsagiTransporterOdinNaphtaliBucketmaneddizhereLalaboxJoolanderAlbino BunnySorceDis'MadEddyVicErin The RedMortal SkyThegreatcowBé ChuilleJacques L'HommeTofystedeth
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We got a Tea2Go in Abilene recently, and if I eat lunch nearby I typically go there afterward. They have big containers of tea, labeled so that you may discern the contents thereof, and you are permitted to sniff them in primal fashion to determine the one you will savor. It feels a little bit like picking out your own lobster at a seafood joint, if there were dozens of them, all the lobsters were different colors and some of them were mixed together with fruit... ahem.

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I like Starbucks enough to try new drinks or get something sweet as a treat, but not enough to drink their coffee without it all. I tried their new flat white and you could taste how bad the grounds were.

Nearby there's a Starbucks Roasting Room, and when Weaver and I saw it we bust out laughing on the bus, because there was a bouncer outside. I don't think he is there anymore, and it just looks like a super fancy place to hear buzzwords (not sorry) and drink bad coffee. Lots of steampunky looking copper piping and boilers, and we saw this barista inside with a glorious handlebar mustache.

I like Victrola or Kaladi Brothers, if I'm outside and I need coffee. There's other coffee shops around like Cafe Vita I am not too familiar with, need to try those.

Right now this in my mug is Seattle's Best with a lot of creamer, as I was finishing the bottle. I'm not against taking coffee black.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    I will only take coffee black anymore.

I used to enjoy my creamy, sugary sludge, but it made all coffee taste the same to me, which is to say like creamy, sugary sludge.

nukaPeter EbelNaphtali
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I can't stand creamy, sugary sludge at all, but I still like a little bit. If I'm ordering coffee somewhere (Tim Horton's dark roast is actually pretty good) it's always one milk and a half a sugar.

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I like my coffee like I like my sex partners, tall, dark as night, bitter, and strong enough to knock your head off.

But seriously the only people in my family that can stand the tar I make is my stepmother. That said I also really like my frufru drinks as a treat here and there. I actually used to spend waaaaaaaaaay too much money at Starbucks.

....I still do likely spend too much but I found a neat way to budget my self. I have a gold card with them that I load at the start of the month and that's all I will allow my self to spend there. On top of that I also got one of those little plastic cups that are a dollar there. They give you a 10% discount on your drinks and force you to geget a grande instead of a venti.

Does anyone else do this?

nuka wrote: »
    I like Starbucks enough to try new drinks or get something sweet as a treat, but not enough to drink their coffee without it all. I tried their new flat white and you could taste how bad the grounds were.

Nearby there's a Starbucks Roasting Room, and when Weaver and I saw it we bust out laughing on the bus, because there was a bouncer outside. I don't think he is there anymore, and it just looks like a super fancy place to hear buzzwords (not sorry) and drink bad coffee. Lots of steampunky looking copper piping and boilers, and we saw this barista inside with a glorious handlebar mustache.

I like Victrola or Kaladi Brothers, if I'm outside and I need coffee. There's other coffee shops around like Cafe Vita I am not too familiar with, need to try those.

Right now this in my mug is Seattle's Best with a lot of creamer, as I was finishing the bottle. I'm not against taking coffee black.

Isn't Seattle's Best the Starbucks off brand?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Chimera wrote: »
    I like my coffee like I like my sex partners, tall, dark as night, bitter, and strong enough to knock your head off.

But seriously the only people in my family that can stand the tar I make is my stepmother. That said I also really like my frufru drinks as a treat here and there. I actually used to spend waaaaaaaaaay too much money at Starbucks.

....I still do likely spend too much but I found a neat way to budget my self. I have a gold card with them that I load at the start of the month and that's all I will allow my self to spend there. On top of that I also got one of those little plastic cups that are a dollar there. They give you a 10% discount on your drinks and force you to geget a grande instead of a venti.

I think I like Starbucks' breakfast better than their coffee. That said, I'll get a gingerbread or pumpkin spice latte sometimes if I really feel the urge.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    It is

I've been enjoying Caribou's hazelnut honey latte. It's basically a Cafe Miel. It's pretty tasty.

Typically Caribou's drinks are pretty sweet, but this one is not too sugary.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Chimera wrote: »

I think I like Starbucks' breakfast better than their coffee. That said, I'll get a gingerbread or pumpkin spice latte sometimes if I really feel the urge.

Oh god, their pumpkin spice latte (and to a lesser degree their pumpkin bread) is like my biggest vice. I am more addicted to that stuff than Rob Ford is to crack or the the Browns are to losing.

@Melding‌ says it's proof that I'm really a Midwestern white girl inside. :c

Chimera on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    JebusUD wrote: »

Yes, but I'll bet money that if I really cared about flat whites, it would taste better in my mug than from the Starbucks stand. If that's merely psychological that's ok.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    So I just got this thermos with a bhilt in french press and am way to excited about using it on the fly. Is this something I should be worried about?

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Caffeine makes me lethargic and sleepy.

• wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I want to to say I'm not addicted, but then I get a notification that my beans from Seattle Coffee Works shipped and I'm all squeaaaaal clapclapclapclapclap at my desk.

I'd love to be in a position to be able to learn more about coffee in a hands-on fashion. But I can settle for being an enthusiastic consumer if I can't be an expert.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I used to have an espresso machine and a french press and grinder and then loose leaf stuff for tea. I don't have room any of that anymore so I just have a coffee pot and a box of PG Tips and yeah we usually get whatever is the on-sale coffee, usually Seattle's Best or Tully's. It'd be nice to get beans from the Cafe Vita roastery down the street but I can't justify to myself $16 a pound for coffee. I don't know if there's some special magic going on but isn't pour-over just hot water + gravity, which is the same thing that a coffee pot does, but not as fancy I guess? Also when I get coffee from a shop I always just get an Americano with a tiny splash of half & half.

Madican wrote: »

I find that if I drink too much caffeine in too short a period of time, it makes me yawn. Probably crash quick that way or something.

Yes, but I'll bet money that if I really cared about flat whites, it would taste better in my mug than from the Starbucks stand. If that's merely psychological that's ok.

What is a flat white?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I find that if I drink too much caffeine in too short a period of time, it makes me yawn. Probably crash quick that way or something.

What is a flat white?
    flat white is a coffee beverage invented in New Zealand and further developed in Australia in the 1980s.[1][2] It is prepared by pouring microfoam (steamed milk with small, fine bubbles and a glossy or velvety consistency) over a single or double shot of espresso. It is somewhat similar to the cappuccino or the latte although smaller in volume, therefore having a higher proportion of coffee to milk (closer to a cortado), and milk that is more velvety in consistency – allowing the espresso to dominate the flavor, while being supported by the milk.

or, as Hugh Jackman put it, "it's like a latte with a little less milk and more espresso."

Mini extra espresso shot latte? That sounds tasty.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread