As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The SE++ 2015 Oscar Pool (and general Movie Thread): Bogey wins. Again.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    The Razzies people have also ripped Adam Sandler's shit wide open and tend to not let crappy movies slide so I'm willing to forgive a few mistakes here and there.

They are using a super offensive slur as part of a 'joke' about transformers

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    The only movie that got a nomination that I've seen was maleficent! Wow!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It is just me or does the Academy treat animated movies the same way some gamers treat Nintendo products?

"Ew...this is t3h k1ddiez."

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Evidently I haven't seen any of the best picture/best actor/actress movies.

I'm interested in seeing The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything and Boyhood though.

When I started reading this post I thought it was a troll/joke and then I got to the end and now I'm just confused.

What? They are nominated, I haven't seen them and am interested in seeing them. What?

Those first 2 and American Sniper are the movies we are all talking about as undeserving.

Oh.

They looked interesting to me and are about scientists I admire which is why I'm interested in seeing them. Have not kept up with reviews.

Well Imitation Game is about some fictional scientist with the same name as the one from real history.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    It is just me or does the Academy treat animated movies the same way some """""""""""""""""""""""gamers"""""""""""""""""""""""""" treat Nintendo products?

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Evidently I haven't seen any of the best picture/best actor/actress movies.

I'm interested in seeing The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything and Boyhood though.

When I started reading this post I thought it was a troll/joke and then I got to the end and now I'm just confused.

What? They are nominated, I haven't seen them and am interested in seeing them. What?

Those first 2 and American Sniper are the movies we are all talking about as undeserving.

Oh.

They looked interesting to me and are about scientists I admire which is why I'm interested in seeing them. Have not kept up with reviews.

Well Imitation Game is about some fictional scientist with the same name as the one from real history.

That's highly disappointing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    What's the dislike about with American Sniper? I only know the very surface details of the story.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I'd rather see Song of the Sea or Tale of Princess Kaguya win Best Animated than Big Hero 6 or How to Train Your Sequel

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I'd rather see Song of the Sea or Tale of Princess Kaguya win Best Animated than Big Hero 6 or How to Train Your Sequel

How to train your dragon is an incredible movie/sequel

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    It is just me or does the Academy treat animated movies the same way some """""""""""""""""""""""gamers"""""""""""""""""""""""""" treat Nintendo products?

Yeah. I hate that term now but I couldn't think of anything better.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It's a shame that Astrid got put on the sideline though

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    It's a shame that Astrid got put on the sideline though

eeeeh sort of? She has as much screen time as the first film

And also it was nice to just have two young people in a relationship and the whole movie isn't about that

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its okay guys

The internet figured it out

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Marathon wrote: »
    What's the dislike about with American Sniper? I only know the very surface details of the story.

It's a mediocre movie about a guy who's a proven bold faced liar whom the right built up into a great american hero.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    it's easy to make americans love something

just put "american" in the title

broken image link
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I know it's in no small part because way more people have seen the Lego movie, but it's a little disappointing that more people seem upset about that than about Selma getting shut out of the acting/directing categories.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Selma has only been out for like 3 weeks

• Options
    Selma not gettig much recognition is more a symptom of a very late release date and a poor campaign. Plus a lazy group of voters who can't be bothered to see anything that isn't mailed to them.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    oh wow imitation game got a screenplay nod, huh

i guess sometimes it's the movies that nobody expects anything from that,

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    oh wow imitation game got a screenplay nod, huh

i guess sometimes it's the movies that nobody expects anything from that,

Uuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhh

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    @YaYa‌ Edit the link into the op braaaaaaaaaaah

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I wonder if Original Screenplay is where Nightcrawler will get its only award

That seems to be the place where they reward stuff like that and Her

I hope Boyhood doesn't win

It's really good

The script is not why

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Everyone see Birdman

I know it's not going to win

I am just so happy it got nominated

Bale what is so bad about The Theory of Everything?

• Options
    As for any predictions, I don't think I know enough about this year's stuff

I'd love Michael Keaton to take home Best Actor

Edward Norton pretty much stands no chance in hell against J.K. Simmons, I'm assuming? I'm seeing Whiplash this weekend so I don't know yet

Also I feel slight, slight vindication in The Lego Movie not being nominated for Best Animated

But only slight because it really does seem like a well-made film that I just didn't enjoy at all (as opposed to a poorly-made film), and it seems like if The Boxtrolls of all things is on there then The Lego Movie should be too

I'm glad it got nominated for Best Original Song though

I am bummed that the score for Birdman did not get on there! In recent weeks I've discovered that it is the perfect soundtrack to do pretty much anything to

• Options
    @YaYa‌ As is always the case, I will nominate a Blu-ray/DVD/Blu-ray+DVD combo whatever of any 2014 film of the winner's choosing

• Options
    @YaYa‌ As is always the case, I will nominate a Blu-ray/DVD/Blu-ray+DVD combo whatever of any 2014 film of the winner's choosing

@YaYa‌ you can sign me up for the same.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Alright, @YaYa‌ is butts, so here is the form dudes, start guessin' http://goo.gl/forms/IlTpGpNUAI

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have build a machine that when given all of the Oscar Nominees will run a complicated algorithm and give me the correct ladder of winner. Let me turn it on.
    *whizz*
    *buzz*
    *sknit*

alright, according to my machine the full list of winners of this years oscars is:

• Options
    Ant-Man's not eligible until next year, Bucketman

• Options
    I was literally hoping for that, Bucketman

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I sure am glad that white dudes are finally getting a stake in Hollywood, it's been a long time coming.

I mean could you imagine a war movie directed by Clint Eastwood receiving acknowledgment from the Academy even ten years ago, let alone fifty?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

How to train your dragon is an incredible movie/sequel

It doesn't make the rest of the Animation nominations any less token and dumb.

Lego Movie and Book of Life were robbed blind.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ehhhh

Book of Life wasn't bad but not amazing

Lego Movie is maybe my favorite animated movie ever and one of the best reviewed and most successful movies of last year

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Alright, @YaYa‌ is butts, so here is the form dudes, start guessin' http://goo.gl/forms/IlTpGpNUAI

I'm sorry that I am too busy working in the entertainment industry

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    If you were really the entertainment industry you could use your clout to make the academy make better choices!

• Options
    I'm not sure which one I'd like to win more, Big Hero 6 or HTTYD2

They were both incredible

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    If you were really the entertainment industry you could use your clout to make the academy make better choices!

at my non-industry work I literally sit next to an academy member

I plan to give him the fucking business tomorrow

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    is this the new movie thread

is this where I lodge that I am sad the Lego movie didn't get a nomination

not because it would have won, but because the animation style alone I think warranted a nod

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    also I am confused by the discussion in the previous movies thread re: Foxcatcher being a true crime story

it's not that at all, unless I missed something?

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
This discussion has been closed.