As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Babylon 5 – Some new (behind the scenes) material..

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I have to imagine that in this reboot, they'll keep the rangers more secret this time and not just a bunch of strange dudes wandering around with robes in a jeweled lapel pin walking around in the open but you don't know who they are yet so it's okay. So you know the Rangers will be kept quiet until a big reveal at a later point in the series

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I also expect it to be a little less on the nose 1984 for the Earth Gov stuff.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I have to imagine that in this reboot, they'll keep the rangers more secret this time and not just a bunch of strange dudes wandering around with robes in a jeweled lapel pin walking around in the open but you don't know who they are yet so it's okay. So you know the Rangers will be kept quiet until a big reveal at a later point in the series

nah, other way round. Full Aragorn costumes for each Ranger and a Minbari Longbow.

monikerMsAnthropyGiantGeek2020Hefflingchrono_travellerMatev
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Way too many of you obviously did not see Crusade, or successfully erased it from your memory.

Either way, I hate and envy you.

There is a hole in my mind.

mrondeauShadowfireDracomicronjkylefultonchrono_travellerboogedyboo
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

You know I thought this was over the top but frankly the last 4 years have made me feel it hit the mark exactly.

mrondeauCaedwyrmonikerBlackDragon480Commander ZoomMazzyxsee317WeaverShadowfireVoodooVDracomicronjkylefultonSmrtnikMorganVSlacker1913FeloniousmozRichychrono_travellerMahnmutMatevboogedybooXandar
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

You know I thought this was over the top but frankly the last 4 years have made me feel it hit the mark exactly.

Babylon 5 is if anything, like so many other stories about this, far too optimistic about the need for competence and intelligence in this kind of thing.

monikerBlackDragon480Commander ZoomMazzyxsee317ShadowfireSmrtnikMorganVSlacker1913electricitylikesmeRichychrono_travellerMatevboogedybooMsAnthropy
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Babylon 5 is if anything, like so many other stories about this, far too optimistic about the need for competence and intelligence in this kind of thing.

And even hitting someone over the head with it can be too subtle.

BlackDragon480Richychrono_traveller
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If we're talking about Season 5, I thought that was purely due to the Shadow War ending prematurely in Season 4. The Shadow War was supposed to be the meta-plot for the entire series, if there's anything JMS wants to achieve with a remake, it would probably be that. There could still be some shady earthgov stuff weaved in but I can't see it being as much of a focus at the 11th hour.

electricitylikesme
    If we're talking about Season 5, I thought that was purely due to the Shadow War ending prematurely in Season 4. The Shadow War was supposed to be the meta-plot for the entire series, if there's anything JMS wants to achieve with a remake, it would probably be that. There could still be some shady earthgov stuff weaved in but I can't see it being as much of a focus at the 11th hour.

Shadow War ended when it was supposed to. It's the Earth Civil War arc that got shortened. AFAIK the intended S4 finale was the interrogation episode. Then the Civil War ends like 1/3rd of the way through S5 (roughly when the Shadow War does in S4) and the rest of the series is basically the major points of S5 but sped up and with less filler.

MazzyxmrondeauBlackDragon480electricitylikesmeShadowfire
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It's honestly kind of amazing they managed to cram the Shadow War and Civil War onto one season and do any kind of decent with either one.

I guess that's one of the only upsides of having old-school big seasons. When you've got twenty-something episodes to work with and each are slotted for an hour, you've got a lot of screentime to work with if you've actually got to get a story out there.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I’d actually like to see more development of the earthgov and human civilian life everywhere else before the civil war. B5 originally basically just alluded to events and places and maybe showed five minutes of CG Martian terrain when Garibaldi went home. I always felt like I had no idea why the B5 humans actually gave a damn about “back home” because we saw so little of it before everything went bad.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I’d actually like to see more development of the earthgov and human civilian life everywhere else before the civil war. B5 originally basically just alluded to events and places and maybe showed five minutes of CG Martian terrain when Garibaldi went home. I always felt like I had no idea why the B5 humans actually gave a damn about “back home” because we saw so little of it before everything went bad.

They just didn't have the CGI technology to properly render Earth terrain in the 90s. All those buttes and fjords, you know? Crazy polygon count.

I would be surprised if the FX budget allowed more than a few minutes on Earth in the new show. Easier to stick to starfuries and whatnot.

chrono_traveller
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 24

They just didn't have the CGI technology to properly render Earth terrain in the 90s. All those buttes and fjords, you know? Crazy polygon count.

I would be surprised if the FX budget allowed more than a few minutes on Earth in the new show. Easier to stick to starfuries and whatnot.

They could, you know, not use CGI and just film outside.

I know, I know, that's crazy talk.

But what if it worked? Filming Earth on Earth? It'd be revolutionary!

MorganV on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

They could, you know, not use CGI and just film outside.

I know, I know, that's crazy talk.

But what if it worked? Filming Earth on Earth? It'd be revolutionary!

You've gone mad with ambition. You're off the production team! Get me a sandwich!

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Shadow War ended when it was supposed to. It's the Earth Civil War arc that got shortened. AFAIK the intended S4 finale was the interrogation episode. Then the Civil War ends like 1/3rd of the way through S5 (roughly when the Shadow War does in S4) and the rest of the series is basically the major points of S5 but sped up and with less filler.

Turns out it was just my headcannon rationilizing how everything was dead boring after the shadow war. I'd hope JMS can come up with some way to keep raising the stakes instead of basically dropping them. Going from an intergalactic war to an earth war isn't easy to land.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Turns out it was just my headcannon rationilizing how everything was dead boring after the shadow war. I'd hope JMS can come up with some way to keep raising the stakes instead of basically dropping them. Going from an intergalactic war to an earth war isn't easy to land.

I actually really liked that. The interstellar war for existence is just too important to have a wrong side - it's a mystery to be solved, not a dilemma. But I loved watching Sheridan try to figure out how you "humanely" conduct a civil war, like when they have the decisions over which ships they'll fire on and which they'll try to let surrender.

shrykeMazzyxautono-wally, erotibot300BogartmonikerjkylefultonTychoCelchuuuHefflingShadowfireboogedyboo

I actually really liked that. The interstellar war for existence is just too important to have a wrong side - it's a mystery to be solved, not a dilemma. But I loved watching Sheridan try to figure out how you "humanely" conduct a civil war, like when they have the decisions over which ships they'll fire on and which they'll try to let surrender.

I also love the way the show doesn't have a pat ending where the good guys win and everything is great. They only shoehorned that in for S4 because they didn't know if they'd get the next one. The way the show has us go through the denouement of the war and the way current resolutions only set up future conflicts mirrors the start of the show, which begins with a setup heavily influenced by the last war that just ended. History doesn't begin or end, it's always in the middle.

monikerBlackDragon480Mahnmutenc0reTychoCelchuuuCommander Zoomelectricitylikesme
  • BogartBogart Gonna Be A Man In Motion Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, the Earth civil war wasn't really a lowering of stakes so much as different stakes. The enemy out there and then the enemy at home. It certainly didn't feel like it was less noteworthy when Sheridan rammed the final satellite compared to his "Get the hell out of our galaxy" moment. And the two threads were being built up side by side over the show, so it wasn't like one ended and the other began.

autono-wally, erotibot300DracomicronmonikermrondeaushrykeBlackDragon480TychoCelchuuuboogedybooelectricitylikesme
    I'm actually re-watching it for maybe the sixth time right now and am about a third of the way through the first season. I can't make up my mind who has been the hammier guest star so far: Jason Ironheart or the guy who invades Sheridan's mind.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    So there's a scene in season one or two that shows evil Psi-Cops in the "San Diego Wasteland". It's just a ruined city and everything's wrecked.

I was caught off-guard and went "What the fuck?"

Into season 3, I still have no idea why San Diego is destroyed.
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm actually re-watching it for maybe the sixth time right now and am about a third of the way through the first season. I can't make up my mind who has been the hammier guest star so far: Jason Ironheart or the guy who invades Sheridan's mind.
    This is one of the big issues that restricts me from recommending it at times to friends. The main cast? I like 'em / they do good work (even if I'm iffy on Sinclair. I consider Boxleitner a huge upgrade).

....but the background actors / guest characters? The vast vast majority are terrible / feel like brand new actors trying for the first time. They detract from the show in huge ways.

They've gotten slightly better in season 3, but...ooooof early on.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    San Diego knows what it did.

BizazedoDrovekshrykeBlackDragon480SmrtnikHefflingmonikerZibblsnrtShadowfireMatevchrono_travellerboogedybooDracomicronelectricitylikesmeVishNubMorganV

The difference is entirely in whether it actually works.

Mind guy is good hammy. Other ... mind ... guy ....

Guy invading Sinclair's mind is godo hammy. Telepath guy is bad hammy.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    So, "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" (s4ep22) was a last minute addition only because they were picked up for season 5 (so they couldn't use "Sleeping in Light" as the season 4 / series finale). Glad it happened, DoFS is a good episode!

tOkYVT2.jpg
    DrovekBlackDragon480Dracomicron
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    San Diego is also a wasteland in Blade Runner 2049. In all futures San Diego is fucked.

Babylon 5's swap from interstellar civilization-spanning war to civil war was a very good idea because it pulled off what Mass Effect couldn't: bringing a giant galaxy-wide thing back to stakes of the sort that allow for interesting, complicated decisions. Mass Effect wanted to keep the decisions and the giant galaxy-wide conflict the whole time and we all know how that worked out (badly).

autono-wally, erotibot300MechMantismonikerDanHibikiboogedyboojkylefultonelectricitylikesme
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    So there's a scene in season one or two that shows evil Psi-Cops in the "San Diego Wasteland". It's just a ruined city and everything's wrecked.

This is one of the big issues that restricts me from recommending it at times to friends. The main cast? I like 'em / they do good work (even if I'm iffy on Sinclair. I consider Boxleitner a huge upgrade).

....but the background actors / guest characters? The vast vast majority are terrible / feel like brand new actors trying for the first time. They detract from the show in huge ways.

They've gotten slightly better in season 3, but...ooooof early on.

excuse me, babylon 5 had mr. whip hubley, top gun alumnus

i mean, WHIP HUBLEY

it also had that dude from tour of duty one time

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    and robert russler from wing commander iv

also the skateboard movie Thrashin'

BlackDragon480VoodooV
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 25

if you mean why San Diego was chosen, JMS lived there for a few years

if you mean how it was destroyed, it's a throwaway line in literally the first episode: "We've had plenty of experience with sneak attacks. Pearl Harbor, the terrorists' nuking of San Diego, the destruction of our first Mars colony. It's a long and bloody history"

Tamin on
    BlackDragon480jkylefulton
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I seem to recall a story about him being mugged there which contributed to why it was chosen.

San Diego knows what it did.

MatevshrykeelectricitylikesmemrondeauShadowfire
    Tamin wrote: »

if you mean why San Diego was chosen, JMS lived there for a few years

if you mean how it was destroyed, it's a throwaway line in literally the first episode: "We've had plenty of experience with sneak attacks. Pearl Harbor, the terrorists' nuking of San Diego, the destruction of our first Mars colony. It's a long and bloody history"

It's mentioned a few times later as well. There's specifically a mention by I believe Franklin in the final season, wherein he compares the end of the Shadow War to the end of Cold War. Because in the B5 universe it's a former Russian nuke that is used in the attack.

BlackDragon480
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There was a fair amount of concern, back in the day, about the possibility of terrorists with stacks of cash (or a big pile of American blue jeans) buying a nuke off some Soviet officer who hadn't been adequately paid/bribed by the crumbling empire in months.
    Almost nobody, by contrast, thought about just stealing a couple of planes and flying them into buildings. :(

steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    BlackDragon480ShadowfiremonikerSmrtnikMatevelectricitylikesme
    There was a fair amount of concern, back in the day, about the possibility of terrorists with stacks of cash (or a big pile of American blue jeans) buying a nuke off some Soviet officer who hadn't been adequately paid/bribed by the crumbling empire in months.
    Almost nobody, by contrast, thought about just stealing a couple of planes and flying them into buildings. :(

I mean... we can still get Nuked, or just a nice big dirty bomb in a big city should clear it out for a couple hundred years.

BlackDragon480shrykemoniker
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I mean... we can still get Nuked, or just a nice big dirty bomb in a big city should clear it out for a couple hundred years.

Given the fact that they let a guy export his expertise to the highest bidder and keep all their shit ready to deploy if India looks at them wrong, my money would be on Pakistan being the source of anything used in such a circumstance.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    DanHibikishrykeShadowfiremonikerMazzyx

Given the fact that they let a guy export his expertise to the highest bidder and keep all their shit ready to deploy if India looks at them wrong, my money would be on Pakistan being the source of anything used in such a circumstance.

Gee, you think think the country that was harboring Osama bin Laden would do such a thing?

any way, we're all gonna die.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Gee, you think think the country that was harboring Osama bin Laden would do such a thing?

No, no, only the people living on Mars and San Diego.

BlackDragon480

And Babylon 4

mrondeauMazzyx
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

And Babylon 4

No one remembers poor Zathras.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    mrondeauDrovekMsAnthropyCommander ZoomMazzyxRichyboogedybooShadowfiremonikerNaphtaliElderlycrawfishchrono_travellerMatevelectricitylikesme
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

And Babylon 4

Well also Babylon 1-3 as well.

Cursed damn station.

u7stthr17eud.png
    moniker
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

And Babylon 4

Nobody was living on Babylon 4.
    They even managed to evacuate the construction crew before it went.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So technically all the people living on Babylon 4 did die.