As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Babylon 5 – Some new (behind the scenes) material..

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AVmEvGYlp8&t=2s

JMS has been posting commentaries on his patreon, this one is also on youtube. Episode is "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum".

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    minor update, from the patreon:
    Here’s the bottom line:

Yesterday, Babylon 5 was in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2022.

Today, Babylon 5 is in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2023.

Tamin on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Eh, with covid a lot gets delayed. I can wait

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

We've been waiting for 25 years. What's an extra one?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Ngl, after reading the first part of that post I was anticipating worse.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Not just Covid, but whatever's going on with the AT&T split mat be fucking things up too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

7 more original cast members passing away?

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

geq5ttnf0d3x.jpg

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Shadowfire sums up the emotion, but my question is, is there really anyone left?

A quick look at the list of regulars according to Wiki.

Michael O'Hare - RIP
    Bruce Boxleitner :+1:
    Claudia Christian (contentious exit, may not be willing to come back)
    Jerry Doyle - RIP
    Mira Furlan - RIP
    Richard Biggs - RIP
    Andrea Thompson (possible issues, also, has only had a single role in last 12 years)
    Stephen Furst - RIP
    Bill Mumy :+1:
    Tracy Scoggins :+1:
    Jason Carter :+1:
    Caitlin Brown and Mary Kay Adams :+1:
    Robert Rusler :+1:
    Jeff Conaway - RIP
    Patricia Tallman :+1:
    Andreas Katsulas - RIP
    Peter Jurasik :+1:

That was a hard list to work through. And it's not a great list outside of availables outside Bruce, Bill and Peter, and some of those even beyond the two I specifically called out might not be willing to return for personal reasons.

And that's not even factoring in, for some of them, if they're not playing the same role with similar prosthetics, they might not even be noticeable. Heck, I love me some Lenier, but it completely skipped my notice he was in the Lost In Space remake, and I didn't mind that show. Without the bald pate and bone crest, I don't see it.

• Options
    Heck, I love me some Lenier, but it completely skipped my notice he was in the Lost In Space remake, and I didn't mind that show. Without the bald pate and bone crest, I don't see it.

I could instantly tell it was him, but it's the voice.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Caitlin Brown is an agent now. so she is probably not coming back.

Edit. Entertainment Agent, not the secret James Bond kind.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The only actor who I know had issues with B5 was Bill Mumy. I think everyone else would be at least willing to consider coming back for at least a cameo, physical capability allowing and all that.

The only person who I think should definitely be offered a serious no joke role is Jurasik. Centauri Emperor. It just works on so many levels. Plus given Londo’s end state I think it’d bring all the feels.

JMS did a good job with the casting and using everyone to the best of their abilities. If he has a spot for some of the old cast I think it would probably work.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Gaddez wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i9ke4HJEI&t=436s
    Just a guy making hilarious observations about spacecraft.

video: it mounts between 18 to 22 twin plasma cannons
    me: could still use more Dakka
    video: well just in case, there's more Dakka!
    me: I see you are a man of culture

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I like the idea of the Minbari rolling up on a human fleet, jamming their targeting, opening fire, and then the human ships firing back... and still hitting, to the complete and utter surprise of the Minbari.

And then when the Minbari interrogate survivors, they find out that, horrifically, the humans were just "eyeballing it" and now the Minbari fleet has to track all the missed shots to make sure they don't land on anybody they know in a few hundred years.

Which sounds like the basis of a great non-human expression describing mind-blowing skull-melting insanity by sarcastically suggesting somebody just eyeball a situation.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I like the idea of the Minbari rolling up on a human fleet, jamming their targeting, opening fire, and then the human ships firing back... and still hitting, to the complete and utter surprise of the Minbari.

And then when the Minbari interrogate survivors, they find out that, horrifically, the humans were just "eyeballing it" and now the Minbari fleet has to track all the missed shots to make sure they don't land on anybody they know in a few hundred years.

Which sounds like the basis of a great non-human expression describing mind-blowing skull-melting insanity by sarcastically suggesting somebody just eyeball a situation.

Sorry, buuuut....

Space is big, like Really BIG. Its also very empty. pictures of the Pillars of Creation non-withstanding.

If you shoot a rail-gun round from the Galactic core outwards towards the arms, the round is more likely to exit the galaxy than to hit something. If it did hit something it would probably be a nebula and just pass right through. The one thing that has a decent chance of affecting it, would be the gravity of a star system or black hole. Both of which would more likely bend the trajectory of the round, rather than stop it outright.

Its a big deal in the Mass Effect Universe, where battles occur around Planets and Mass Relays and they only have solid projectile weapons like Rail Guns. In the B5 universe they mostly use Plasma Weapons and Laser beams, which dissipates with range.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

If there's one thing you learn playing B5Wars, it's that Earth Alliance ship don't have thrusters. They have short ranged guns with recoil.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

It even has missle launchers...shoved somewhere in the thing.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    mrondeau wrote: »

If there's one thing you learn playing B5Wars, it's that Earth Alliance ship don't have thrusters. They have short ranged guns with recoil.

Lmao, makes me think of when I was playing Pulsar on a buddy's stream a couple weeks ago and we accidentally entered a race and I unironically, very seriously suggested using our aft mounted main cannon to turn the ship faster via recoil. They weren't as enthused with this idea as I was. Something about collateral damage, idk.

Anyway I liked that person's video about the Starfury. I hadn't thought about how the newer model was actually worse at space combat due to where the cockpit was relocated to resulting in more G-Force load. It explains why we barely saw them which is something that hadn't clicked during my watch through.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

ah yes, the Kzinti Lesson.

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    New B5 project already wrapped, looks like something from the future of the original series with original cast.
    BTW and FYI, my Patrons are first to hear everything related to B5 & all my other projects; getting pages from my new novel, peeks into a secret B5 project THAT HAS BEEN COMPLETED for '23 release, commentaries, archival photos, storyboards, scripts & more.
    The great thing is that the secret B5 project isn't one of those "maybe it'll happen/maybe it won't"...it's done, it has a '23 release date, and it's the closest thing to the original B5 in tone of anything we've done since. As if no time has passed at all. 100% crescent fresh.
    Done as in done. Finished. And all of the main B5 cast members still around participated. I can't tell you what it is or even what form, because that announcement has to come from others, but I'm very proud of it (and Patrons will, as ever, be first to get the deets.)
    This is separate and apart from the B5 reimagining pilot, which is well known...this is secret and has been flying under the radar for some time.

Polaris on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I'll be honest, I had a sense of dread opening this thread. Thought it might be another obituary.

I'm generally optimisitic about this project's quality, with JMS's involvement.

But what I'm not optimistic about is the current streaming metrics that seem to be capricious as fuck.

OG B5 was from a time that while a show could get cancelled (see Crusade), it was often given a varying length of rope if it was moderately successful for it's budget. Nowdays, if it's not a banger out of the gate, it's on shaky grounds.

MorganV on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    All of the remaining original cast was involved? So that's Bruce Boxleitner and Claudia Christian staring at each other in the green room wondering what the fuck happened.

I exaggerate, but not by much.

• Options
    All of the remaining original cast was involved? So that's Bruce Boxleitner and Claudia Christian staring at each other in the green room wondering what the fuck happened.

I would attempt to fact check those are the only two.

But I don't want to make myself sad.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

They aren't the only two. PeterJurasik, Patricia Tallman, and Bill Mumy are still kicking around, among others. Like I said, exaggeration.

• Options

They aren't the only two. PeterJurasik, Patricia Tallman, and Bill Mumy are still kicking around, among others. Like I said, exaggeration.

Was really concerned at least one of those would have passed.

It's been a fucking horror show. Whereas almost everyone of note, not just the main cast, of TNG are still above ground.

• Options

Was really concerned at least one of those would have passed.

It's been a fucking horror show. Whereas almost everyone of note, not just the main cast, of TNG are still above ground.

No lie, Mira Furlan hit me the hardest, but they've all been rough.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

JMS wrote:
    It's never been my way to ask B5 fans and followers for a solid on behalf of the show. Because I feel it's my role, and the role of the show, to be in service to you, not the other way around.

But tomorrow, for the first time in 22 years, I will ask.

Wondering what he's going to ask. My guess is positive word of mouth for a teaser. Or maybe B5's getting a Blu-Ray release.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Sounds like a kickstarter.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    The way it’s described as a “project” and how JMS specifically says he can’t talk about the “form” of it makes me think this new thing isn’t a TV show at all. Possibly an audio play?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    The way it’s described as a “project” and how JMS specifically says he can’t talk about the “form” of it makes me think this new thing isn’t a TV show at all. Possibly an audio play?

* Crosses fingers for video game *

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Nope, I had the right of it.

JMS wrote:
    The fate of the #Babylon5 pilot may be decided end of this month. Though much of @TheCW was bought by @NXSTMediaGroup the decision also rests heavily with @WarnerbrosTV. If fans want to show their support for B5 & let them know you want this to happen, now is the time #B5onCWin2

He wants to rally fan support in the face of WB-Discovery slashing and burning a bunch of stuff. Added my voice to the efforts, but we'll see what happens.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Ooooof. Fan support to convince WB-Discovery to keep the project going. That's a rough one. Hopefully James Gunn is a fan, because I'm not sure what else might have an impact.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So can we Twitterless people express support?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I mean, Twitter doesn't have any people, either...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I mean, Twitter doesn't have any people, either...

So, we need to get some money together to hire a bot farm to promote the B5 hashtags, right?

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Either someone already did that or there's some proper groundswell cause it's actually the number one trending tag, even over The Queen's funeral.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    nerds

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    At this rate any follow up will be canceled because all the actors will think the show is bad luck o.o