Pre-PAX Board Game Night at the Westin Boston Waterfront!
Don't forget your FLUXX capacitor!
Board games of course! This is a coordinated, open for all-ages, free, and insanely fun event for anybody that wants to bring their games, or play games with others!
(Taken from Prime 2014 Post)
This event is not hosted, endorsed, or sponsored by Penny Arcade or by any professional group or company other than the (Westin).
Back in the day, when PAX was wee, there was no coordinated game night meetup on PAXmas eve. Folks who were staying at the hotels would naturally just gravitate to the lobbies to play games. After a few years, people started to pre-organize these informal meet ups on the forums but it was still small enough that they didn't need to work with the hotels - everyone would just meet in the bar or lobby and have a game night to pass the evening.
Of course, this quickly became a popular idea, and the size of the event started to create problems with the hotel staff and management. At both EAST and PRIME, there were conflicts with hotel staff and issues with fire code violations, and complaints from other guests. It was creating bad juju for us PAXers, and setting a tone of frustration and contention with the hotel bar staff and managers for the weekend.
About 3 years ago, (LexiconGrrl) started to voluntarily work with hotel management to provide us with an approved space to game. Citing the logic of "This is going to happen whether you want it to or not, so let's corral it and make sure it's safe and cuddly for everyone!", we successfully built relationships with the hotel management and got a bigger, more comfy space in the deal.
The hotel on the other hand, expects a good take from the bar and restaurant in exchange for the free space, tables, staff and setup that they provide. That's their justification. So you'll see lots of encouragement from the coordinator to purchase generously while you're there. They're not compensated in any way for the event and are under no obligation to host it for us, so a good bar and restaurant take that evening is a pretty great deal for everybody, really.
So this is still an informal, attendee-driven meetup. It's free, and open to all ages, which is super important to me personally. The games are all just the games that you guys haul down to the lobby, and there's really no hosted structure persay. Last year (LexiconGrrl) implemented a better game matchup system to help people find games to play, but it's very simple.
This event has now become a PAX fixture, which is cool as all hell. Alternate game nights have started happening too, like the Marriott Long Wharf at East, or the swanky CTCC club event at Prime. Each event is unique, put together and hosted by forum volunteers, and provides its own experience to attendees. Something for everyone!
What makes PAX special above all other cons is the community. And having a community that grew an event like this organically, that is still very much a self-policed casual gathering is AMAZING. I
you guys and will do my best every year to make sure there's a place for you to game the night before.
Westin Boston Waterfront Hotel, 425 Summer Street. Locations in the hotel listed under COOL SHIT
Thursday March 5, 4:00 PM until you are gamed out (Stupid Late, you crazy PAXers!) (Info Table closes at 2:00 AM)
The Westin is pulling out all the stops this year (AGAIN!):
- Ballroom Foyer: TBD #Seats, Dedicated bar & bartender
- Mezzanine: 80 Gaming Seats, Dedicated bar & bartender
- Cafe (under the mezzanine): 40 Gaming Seats, Hotel Lobby Bar available
- Game and Gamer themed drinx and noshies will be on hand for purchase.
- The Cookie Brigade will be present in Force (well, at a table). Don't forget to Support Child's Play! (Bakers: Cookie Dropoff here)
The Mezzanine tables will be up all weekend for gaming fun, but they will be taken down at a time TBD
Sunday night, as there is another event at the hotel Monday morning.
SAUCIETY IS NO LONGER AN APPROVED AREA FOR GAMING! Food can be ordered through room service, at the Birch Bar, or from Starbucks.
How It Works:
On the Thread
- Obey Wheaton's Law, DON'T BE A DICK! This applies to everybody in all interactions!
- The hotels usually give us amazing space and service for free. The best way to show your appreciation is to support the hotel bar and restaurant while you're there.
- Be welcoming to anybody who may look lost or seems to be hanging around your area. Everybody wants to play!
- No parties are allowed in the pool area.
- Sauciety is a no-go. Alternative options are outlined in the above NOTE 2.
1. If you have games to bring, post what you plan to have on hand that night (please only post if you KNOW you will have it)
2. If you're looking to play a specific game, please post your request.
Once Present at the Hotel
1. Your coordinator for the night is rtm416. You can find him at the Information Table if you have any questions.
2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.
4. Use the twitter hashtag #WestinTabletop to find or advertise games.
5. If you want to leave your game for checkout by other people, you can leave it at the check in table. Make sure you leave your contact information inside the box, since you might want to leave before your game does. DISCLAIMER: Although we strive to communicate the principles of respecting other peoples' property, leaving your games for checkout is AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is a volunteer event, and we don't police the crowd.
Game Matching Service:
Soooo everybody, it seems this is a tricky thing. HEre is the system that will be in place that night (suggestions for improvement are welcome)
1. Standing up box tops mean open spots, this is the quickest way if you just want to browse.
2. There will be a sheet at the Info Table with open games and the players requested, from beginner to expert.
Game Lending Library
- Hosts can write their game and table number on the sheet
- Gamers can look on the sheet and visit the table to join in
- Hosts MUST send somebody back to the info table to cross off their game, this is to insure people don't go to full games hoping to join in.
This year there will be a library of loaned games at the Information Table. The Owner MUST
have his/her contact information in the box. The Loaner will sign a game out with their name, table #, and contact info to allow for the safe return of games. When the Owner wants to leave, they should check the Library, then the Sign-Out Sheet. The Owner can check with the Loaner at the table and (if the Owner leaves) can contact them to facilitate the return of the game. The chain of possession looks something like this:
4. Information Table
6. Repeat 2&3 until Owner Leaves OR Information Table closes; THEN if a game is still in possession of a Loaner, go to step 5.
7. Loaner contacts Owner and sets up safe return of game
I am not paid staff, but if a game is forgotten at the Lending Library I will contact you and find a time to return it. THIS IS ONLY FOR GAMES IN MY POSSESSION BECAUSE AN OWNER FORGOT A GAME AT THE LIBRARY, NOT FOR LOANED OUT GAMES. LOANED GAMES ARE THE LIABILITY OF THE LOANER AFTER THE OWNER LEAVES OR THE INFORMATION TABLE CLOSES.
Each game will have a # and a card with all contact information for the Owner included.
Who are you and what have you done with LexiconGrrl? A:
I'm rtm416, and I offered to help out as LexiconGrrl is unlikely to be at PAX East for this event
Looks like I should just be TBD guy! Sorry =P
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!
Ladies & Gentlemen
Super Dungeon Explorer
Oh My Gods! (This is a game on Kickstarter developed by a Bostonian! He will be there to "exhibit" his game!)
Cards Against Humanity Bigger, Blacker Box
Core Worlds with Galactic Orders Expansion
The Resistance (x2)
X Wing Miniatures (w/ a bunch of wave 1 and 2 ships)
Betrayal at House on the Hill
7 Wonders & Babel Expansion
Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride Europe
Shadows over Camelot
Mass Effect Risk
Council of Verona
Attack the Darkness
Penny Arcade The Game - Gamers vs Evil
We didn't playtest this at all
We didn't playtest this either
Game of Thrones Board Game
Chaos in the Old World (with the expansion)
Dead of Winter
Sheriff Of Nottingham
Monty Python Fluxx
Battlestar Galactica (+expansions)