As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Chaos in the Old World is extremely child-friendly.

Nurgle is great with kids, and he teaches them math by counting all the corruption tokens!

YL9WnCY.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Looking through the rules and cards of Eldritch Horror. No way am I playing with the 'shuffle a solved mystery back into the deck' cards. Fail a skill check, extend the length of the game by a third?

Fuck off FFG. That is abysmal design.
    You should just be grateful they don't also make you skip 2 turns!

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    If you're a SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE fan--

and if you are not, why not ?

--I have every deck for the game, including the various supplements and order bonus decks, and I'm able to fit all of the cards, manuals, and dividers into one of these:

http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?PID=791

But only just barely. The ammo can, she is full of awesome.

Fairchild on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I have fallen deeply in lust with this new hidden movement game Specter Ops, which sounds basically like Metal Gear Solid the board game. Anyone played it by any chance?

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Looking through the rules and cards of Eldritch Horror. No way am I playing with the 'shuffle a solved mystery back into the deck' cards. Fail a skill check, extend the length of the game by a third?

Have you played EH? Because it's not a big of a deal as you make it out to be.
    Chaos in the Old World is extremely child-friendly.

Nurgle is great with kids, and he teaches them math by counting all the corruption tokens!
    Nurgle is the patron saint of children, and they are his front line soldiers. I know this because I have two.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »

I have not. On the other hand a cursory Google indicates a number of other people who have encountered the card in play and think it irredeemable bullshit of the worst kind, so I feel fine about this judgement.

Bogart on

I have not. On the other hand a cursory Google indicates a number of other people who have encountered the card in play and think it irredeemable bullshit of the worst kind, so I feel fine about this judgement.
    People on the internet would never post a reactionary statement from a place of anger and frustration!

EH (and it's predecessor, AH) are about minimizing risk. There's always a chance to duck up and lose the game, but if you're properly prepared it's comparatively small. Conversely, if things are going poorly, you still have a chance to win - even if it's a long shot.

If you're doing well, flubbing one mystery isn't going to lose you the game. Probably. But it's also an easy scapegoat if you're doing poorly. "Aw, shit, we lost because of the stupid mechanics."

That said, the swinginess of the Horror series is part of their design. It's why SU&SD didn't like AH. But EH is better in that regard, and a well-equipped party can overcome bad luck.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    @Bogart Yeah, the reshuffle cards in Eldritch Horror are not that bad. The Investigators have an escalation of power that progresses nicely with the progression of Doom. So, while the first Mystery takes a bit under half the game to complete, the 2nd is less than that, and the last is only a turn or two. So dropping one really only sets you back a couple of turns in the grand scheme of things. It feels demoralizing as shit, and it will absolutely cause you to lose some games.. but no more often than many of the Mythos cards will. A lot of the rumors are just as deadly late-game.

Anyway, got my first game of Castles of Mad King Ludwig with my wife tonight, and I'm really glad I picked it up. It definitely matches my wife's playstyle more, as Suburbia is definitely a more complex beast. Everything in Ludwig is sort of out in the open. You can see how you score points, and what you need to do very clearly. In Suburbia, you really need to know how to manipulate your population and income tracks in ways that are not immediately obvious. Ludwig replaces this a bit with getting the rooms to fit together + completion bonuses, which is much more transparent. I mean, I'm still going to get the new Suburbia expansion, but I think Ludwig might see a bit more play, as I feel a new player is going to pick it up far easier. I don't think I've ever seen a first time player of Suburbia really managing track manipulation in Suburbia, but my wife was happily chaining room completion bonuses by the end of our first game tonight.

Also, I used my metal coins from Fief, and that was great. Definitely going to be bouncing them back and forth between the two games. Would also be nice to find some more modern-ish coins for things like Machi Koro and Suburbia. That, or is there any decent paper money available, that has an even remotely similar feel to real cash?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Play throughs of xcom are popping up. I thought it was a strategy game with an app to get around needing to design things. I don't think it is that now.

It's sort of a game where the app player gives changing information and the others try to react in real-time. Sort of like space alert but with a pseudo-dm role.

Maybe I could see that working. I would still like a more traditional coop inspired by xcom though

I'm like 90% certain that it exists and is called Nexus Ops. i haven't played it myself but all the evidence points in that direction.

Nexus ops is totally awesome, but it is about the farthest thing from a coop game you can get. Maybe your thinking of another game?

Nope, just misunderstanding how Nexus Ops works, apparently! like I said, I haven't played it. I thought it was team of humans vs aliens controlled by some sort of mechanics?

You may be thinking of Galaxy Defenders.

Noted for future investigation, along with L7: Omega Protocol. Sorry for the confusion!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

--I have every deck for the game, including the various supplements and order bonus decks, and I'm able to fit all of the cards, manuals, and dividers into one of these:

Because it's like doing your taxes and claims to have simple rules but actually just hides them all in the tiny card, crammed card text. Tracking stacks on stacks of modifiers isn't my idea of fun.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Somewhat late on this, but something I haven't seen mentioned: If what you dislike about Dominion is the lack of player interaction, then what you want is PUZZLE STRIKE. It uses bags of poker chip type things instead of cards, but it functions about the same. First off there's a lot of interaction - it's essentially a board game version of puzzle fighter, where it's a duel about trying to push gems back and forth and get your opponent to go over the max. But, the more gems you have on your side, the more you can do on your turn. And you have to try to combine gems to be able to push over higher values. There's a lot of balancing and timing going on.

AND, you play as a specific fighter, so your starting bag of chips is unique with certain moves that only your dude gets, so you have to take the matchup into consideration. Biggest downside of this game is that really, it only plays 2 players. You can play with more I think, but I don't see how it would work as well.

For more people I'd recommend Trains or Rune Age, but people already covered those.

sig.gif
    Somewhat late on this, but something I haven't seen mentioned: If what you dislike about Dominion is the lack of player interaction, then what you want is PUZZLE STRIKE. It uses bags of poker chip type things instead of cards, but it functions about the same. First off there's a lot of interaction - it's essentially a board game version of puzzle fighter, where it's a duel about trying to push gems back and forth and get your opponent to go over the max. But, the more gems you have on your side, the more you can do on your turn. And you have to try to combine gems to be able to push over higher values. There's a lot of balancing and timing going on.

AND, you play as a specific fighter, so your starting bag of chips is unique with certain moves that only your dude gets, so you have to take the matchup into consideration. Biggest downside of this game is that really, it only plays 2 players. You can play with more I think, but I don't see how it would work as well.

For more people I'd recommend Trains or Rune Age, but people already covered those.

*Grabs popcorn. Waits for the Sirlin debate to begin.*

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »

Because it's like doing your taxes and claims to have simple rules but actually just hides them all in the tiny card, crammed card text. Tracking stacks on stacks of modifiers isn't my idea of fun.

You must be some kind of dirty fun-hating Communist hippie goose.

You know, I've seen a bunch of people complain about Battle at Kemble's Cascade not replicating the twitch element of shmups, but surprisingly I've never seen anyone go "so we tried a turn timer!" Which is unfortunate, because I think that would fix a lot of people's problems with the game. I mean, I personally (and my group who played it) had no problem with the think-y, calculating nature of it. I like puzzles where I can shoot my rival and ruin his finely tuned dance on the razor's edge. But at the same time, I do want to give it a try with either a 1-minute turn timer, or a 2-minute timer where whoever's turn it is when it goes off has to take extra Threat.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Someone asked about board games on iPad awhile ago? In all the excitement, everyone forgot some:

Pandemic
    Galaxy Trucker
    Brief History of the World
    La Harve

..do you mean Le Havre?

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    EH does suffer from those reshuffle cards. Not, like, a lot, but the game would be improved without them.

In addition, I play with a house rule that makes "Delayed" only take one action rather than both. Because fuck skip turn mechanics.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    EH (and it's predecessor, AH) are about minimizing risk. There's always a chance to duck up and lose the game, but if you're properly prepared it's comparatively small. Conversely, if things are going poorly, you still have a chance to win - even if it's a long shot.

If you're doing well, flubbing one mystery isn't going to lose you the game. Probably. But it's also an easy scapegoat if you're doing poorly. "Aw, shit, we lost because of the stupid mechanics."

That said, the swinginess of the Horror series is part of their design. It's why SU&SD didn't like AH. But EH is better in that regard, and a well-equipped party can overcome bad luck.

If the risk is a big snake that sends you back along the games progress track that doesn't really seem like fun. And it isn't flubbing a mystery, it's doing one twice (or three times, or four times - there are two cards that undo a mystery, one in a deck so small you'll cycle through it two or three times).

It still feels like shitty design. Single dice roll, instantly got to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200. Saying it's all part of the rich tapestry of swinginess isn't very convincing.

I think I'll play without those two cards, at least for the first game. Afterwards I'll be in a better position to judge how awful having to do a mystery all over again would have felt. The rest of the game seems pretty good, so I'm still looking forward to playing it.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems like everything they've put out has been the same. There's one to avoid in the future.

That's more than a little premature. I have all of Marvel Legendary (thousands of cards) and so do a few of my friends. I know about 5 people with Legendary Encounters: Aliens. I'm part of a BIG game group so I hear from a lot of people too.

No missing cards or any other issues for anyone.

And if I did they would send replacements.

You keep listening to rumours, you will turn into one. Or so my Nan assured me.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    In more positive news, yeah Village Port is finally available! Yeah!

I didn't know this was a thing. Of course, I still haven't played with the first expansion. What does the Port add?

Right, it expands the traveling section by covering it with a port tile. Using the port allows you to build your own ship and travel, hire a captain to export and import goods, send your families out as missionaries and dig up buried treasure. It also includes life goal cards, that let you pursue a specific career like becoming a writer or a knight.

I adore Village so I'm super excited to get this expansion.

I just ordered Village this morning because it's the cheapest it's ever been on Amazon(.co.uk)

Had to be done.

edited January 2015
    In addition, I play with a house rule that makes "Delayed" only take one action rather than both. Because fuck skip turn mechanics.
    This is my biggest critique of Eldritch Horror: I do not like it when games that stop players from playing.

jdarksun on
    i went to a game night last night and the people at the table over from us were playing Cthulhu Wars. that game has an intense table presence in person let me tell you.

for our part we played Tzolkin and Troyes, both of which are just great. Tzolkin is way harder with 4 people though. corn is scarce. Troyes went straight onto my must buy list too.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Guys, I'm not sure Orleans is going to get all of the wooden glory it could have. This disappoints me.

Also because they put the accent aigu on Orleans, in order to find it in Kicktrac I have to type "Deluxe Orl"

FIEF TONIGHT!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    i went to a game night last night and the people at the table over from us were playing Cthulhu Wars. that game has an intense table presence in person let me tell you.

for our part we played Tzolkin and Troyes, both of which are just great. Tzolkin is way harder with 4 people though. corn is scarce. Troyes went straight onto my must buy list too.

Any more details on Cthulhu Wars? How close is it to Chaos in the Old World?

One of the few flaws with Tzolkin is that if somebody is able to monopolize the corn slots in the early game, it can be very difficult to build your engine properly and catch up with them. And the game somewhat encourages this (since you have the ability to burn corn to screw over your opponents).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Finally got around to playing my anniversary edition of Dungeon Lords, although being not so strong in the rules yet we only used bards and special starting dungeons of all the various new stuff.

Two things were learned: I am still laughably bad at this game, and bards are horrible bullshit particularly in combination with thieves. So much cancelling damage.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

One of the few flaws with Tzolkin is that if somebody is able to monopolize the corn slots in the early game, it can be very difficult to build your engine properly and catch up with them. And the game somewhat encourages this (since you have the ability to burn corn to screw over your opponents).

You can burn the forest, but you can't burn corn last time I checked. Unless you're using it in the sense of being really spendy with it.

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I have fallen deeply in lust with this new hidden movement game Specter Ops, which sounds basically like Metal Gear Solid the board game. Anyone played it by any chance?

Yes! I got to play a demo version at BGG Con, though it was kind of weird because I ended up hopping into an existing game and I was helping the one agent rather than being one of the hunters. So keep that in mind.

So I liked Specter Ops well enough. It's cool to move around and duck behind cover. It's cool to out-think the hunters. It's cool to corral the agent. The minis look really nice. But I still don't know that it even replaces Scotland Yard for me. I'll need to play it again. I'm still waiting for that "aha!" moment when you get personally attached to a game that you're playing. I'm a big Plaid Hat fan, so I was expecting it but didn't get it.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    edited January 2015
    Hm. I might have to consider preordering Specter Ops, before it goes the way of Dead of Winter. Plus, they pretty much match CSI prices, and give promo cards. I've got Letters from White Chapel, but gave my copy of Fury of Dracula to a friend when I moved, so I could use a hidden movement game that is a little more action-y. I like the idea that the Hunters don't even know which Agent they're facing in the beginning--that's a fun touch.

Edit: Also, Traitor mechanic in a Hidden Movement game? Muwahahaha. Awesome.

InkSplat on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    The chatter in this thread about Dominant Species got me to finally take a look at a video of gameplay. I love the idea of it, and the mechanics and theme go together well.

But jeez, even the latest printing looks like a prototype. I have a few clumsy players in my group, and I just know that between the tiles, tundra, cubes, cones, and food discs things are going to get out of control. I think if I were to play that game, I'd have a friend make some wood hexes with round cutouts at the intersections (for food discs) and pick up something like these to add to the theme:

LITKODSAvianMarkers.jpg
    LITKODSIniativeTokenSet.jpg

I get that the abstract euro thing is a draw for some people, but something with a cool theme like evolving meat-eating insects to fend off reptiles needs some better bits!

mr_mich wrote: »
    The chatter in this thread about Dominant Species got me to finally take a look at a video of gameplay. I love the idea of it, and the mechanics and theme go together well.

But jeez, even the latest printing looks like a prototype. I have a few clumsy players in my group, and I just know that between the tiles, tundra, cubes, cones, and food discs things are going to get out of control. I think if I were to play that game, I'd have a friend make some wood hexes with round cutouts at the intersections (for food discs) and pick up something like these to add to the theme:

LITKODSAvianMarkers.jpg
    LITKODSIniativeTokenSet.jpg

I get that the abstract euro thing is a draw for some people, but something with a cool theme like evolving meat-eating insects to fend off reptiles needs some better bits!

Those second ones are pretty awesome. I'll have to try and track down some for my copy.

edited January 2015

dunno, i wasnt really watching them playing. not my type of game when you get right down to it. just saying seeing it all set up on the table was like 0_0 those miniatures are fucking crazy.

edit: also speaking of falling into lust with random new games, i really want to play Dogs of War. not something i would buy probably since its 3+ players and i generally only buy games my fiancee and i can play with each other. but man it looks awesome. its a worker placement game, but youre placing mercenary leaders on either side of battles each round and theres a negotiation aspect because you have to get other people to ally with you to win most battles etc. you get influence tokens for backing houses in battles and then depending on what houses win the battles they go up on a victory track, and that affects how much the influence tokens are worth at the end of the game. it just looks super cool. plus the Board With Life people had it tied for their #1 game of 2014 with Dead Of Winter, which is what put it on my radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2jZIkAXDI

Ah_Pook on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    One of my favorite things to do is to take games that I like and adding better quality components to make them shinier and better looking. My Flash Point: Fire Rescue has an actual tiny scale Fire Engine and Ambulance, and I replaced the dumb hotspot tiny dots with a large foam tile with flames on it (it's hard to tell what's a hotspot from those little dots). For a while, I thought of putting little protective rings around the rim of the Smoke/Fire tokens, but I couldn't find a vendor that made them in the perfect size.

Even little things like grabbing a Pound O' Dice from Chessex to improve the dice quality in games with sub-par dice can make a big difference in the presentation and theme.

It doesn't have to be expensive, either. In the last Board Game thread, I posted this:
    170533.jpg
    ... little plastic hearts that work great as life counters in a lot of games, a dollar for 50 of them at Dollar Tree. Also, they have dice packs of multi-colored D6 for a dollar, although they aren't high-quality (but I can definitely use them as counters).

I desperately want a Silhouette Cameo and/or a 3D printer so I can do a "Pimp My Ride" treatment out more of my games. Yo dawg...

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at a site like ponoko.com to see if it just makes sense to order laser-cut MDF with hexes that have rounded out corners. I'm picturing something like this (pardon my butchery of these beautiful Mage Knight tiles):

EdSIvju.png

Ponoko will allow you to upload a vector image and they'll lasercut whatever you want (acrylic, hardboard, MDF, etc.) so maybe I can try my hand in illustrator or something and make up some tiles with the right size and cutouts and some laser etchings for terrain types.

ChaosHat wrote: »
    Guys, I'm not sure Orleans is going to get all of the wooden glory it could have. This disappoints me.

Also because they put the accent aigu on Orleans, in order to find it in Kicktrac I have to type "Deluxe Orl"

its going to be close, definitely. i really really hope it hits that last stretch goal, but even if it doesnt its already a super nice package. and that bottlecap vikings game randomly looks pretty cool too.

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Mrs. Dizzy: "So Munchkin is like the Comic Sans of card games."

Nailed it.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Played Cash N Guns for the second time last night. I was hoping to play Fief, but considering we didn't get to sit at the table until midnight I decided that would be a terrible idea. (long combination of factors and last minute packing for a kid sleepover)

Played with 5, and it was a lot of fun! One player got knocked out on turn 5, and another on turn 6, but the rest of the game went so quickly it wasn't bad having them sit. My sister-in-law won, due to an early lead on diamonds and flying under the radar allowing her to collect loot almost every round.

Looking forward to playing again.

Told them all to prepare to play Fief on Sunday, and that we'd start at 9 so people are awake for rule explanations.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    I'm looking at a site like ponoko.com to see if it just makes sense to order laser-cut MDF with hexes that have rounded out corners. I'm picturing something like this (pardon my butchery of these beautiful Mage Knight tiles):

EdSIvju.png

Ponoko will allow you to upload a vector image and they'll lasercut whatever you want (acrylic, hardboard, MDF, etc.) so maybe I can try my hand in illustrator or something and make up some tiles with the right size and cutouts and some laser etchings for terrain types.

Try emailing Applied Perspective.
    Website not the flashiest, but the owner is a local-to-me gentleman that does a lot of cool stuff for the X-wing community.
    I've always been deeply impressed with his custom work, and it will probably be somewhat less expensive than ponoko.

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Looking through my collection on BGG, removing all expansions from the list as well as all games that technically belong to my girlfriend and excluding the games on my Trade-list (some of which I should just go ahead and donate somewhere)... I'm at 72 games.

Which is not as awful as I feared, but I still qualify as a pretty serious hobbyist.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    If anyone is looking to trade, sell, or donate games know that I am woefully behind the boardgame curve and will gladly accept them.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Additional hot Twilight Imperium tip for Astaereth's great write-up:

holy jebus punch everything out beforehand it takes literally two hours

I guess if you're not bagging all the cardboard bits and have clippers for the plastic bits it would take a lot less time, but still.

Surfpossum on