As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tickets for Dummies??

• Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »
    OK, I've taken the oath and have joined the watch.

My 15 year old is not excited. WTF. Kid plays Dota2 until his eyes bleed and he doesn't really feel PAX this year? I think the only logical explanation must be alien abduction. My 9 year old is psyched, on the other hand, so I'll be on board for badges.

My 10 and 12 year olds are quite stoked. Only bummer is that we have to leave Sunday afternoon due to school starting on Monday. Curses to the holiday not falling on PAX weekend!

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Seriously. When/if I snag badges it will only be Fri-Sun this year. I didn't take Monday off work.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    JayJusticeJayJustice Registered User new member
    Hello! A couple questions.

1. For hotels, when booking at the same time as Prime tickets, do we need to pay for the hotel up front or when we arrive? I kind of want to know what sort of money to have lying around. Also, since I know there are discounts is there a handy spreadsheet showing the approximate deals from past Primes?
    2. How much is the resale value when people miss out on tickets? I'm hoping to be lucky for the two of us going, but I'm weighing all the options.
    3. Are there any recommendations for hotels with a fair price range and a great atmosphere?

Thanks from a Michigan PAX Prime virgin!

• Options
    I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    JayJustice wrote: »

1. For hotels, when booking at the same time as Prime tickets, do we need to pay for the hotel up front or when we arrive? I kind of want to know what sort of money to have lying around. Also, since I know there are discounts is there a handy spreadsheet showing the approximate deals from past Primes?
    2. How much is the resale value when people miss out on tickets? I'm hoping to be lucky for the two of us going, but I'm weighing all the options.
    3. Are there any recommendations for hotels with a fair price range and a great atmosphere?

I will answer what I can to the best of my knowledge.

1. I think it is a single day plus a little more must be payed at time of. My hotel was $204 before taxes last year and they took a deposit of $234 per my email.
    2. Varies wildly. As much as +400% mark up to sometimes cost. Depends on luck and where and when you purchase
    3. What is a fair price range? People have a wildly varying definition of "fair price". Also we can only give you what people payed last year. Expect it to go up, it seems to go up every year...

ZYseqtZ.png
  • Options
    valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I3izzy wrote: »
    [quote="JayJustice;32117310"

2. Varies wildly. As much as +400% mark up to sometimes cost. Depends on luck and where and when you purchase

To expand on this a bit more. If you look on ebay or craigslist the weeks following PAX prime sell out then yes, tickets will be marked up greatly. Single day badges will sell for $100. IGNORE (and in ebays case) ReportTHESE PEOPLE!! If you visit www.reddit.com/r/PaxPassExchange/ they have a cap on how much they can sell the tickets for. If you try and jack up prices the Mods will remove the post.

valdor on
    3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    valdor wrote: »

To expand on this a bit more. If you look on ebay or craigslist the weeks following PAX prime sell out then yes, tickets will be marked up greatly. Single day badges will sell for $100. IGNORE (and in ebays case) ReportTHESE PEOPLE!! If you visit www.reddit.com/r/PaxPassExchange/ they have a cap on how much they can sell the tickets for. If you try and jack up prices the Mods will remove the post.
    Why would you report those people? Also I find the idea of a price cap on the secondary market kind of weird. The whole reason it exists is because PAX doesn't let their prices rise to match demand (which I totally understand and am not complaining about).

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Resale tickets can be dangerous because the passes aren't given out until a couple of weeks before the event and it is easy to scam people that way, since you have to wait so long to get your product. People may have had good experiences, but I am extremely sceptical of the second hand market in this case. If you trust the person/vendor... perhaps. But I would never ever buy tickets from anyone other than a close friend or PAX itself.

• Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Why would you report those people? Also I find the idea of a price cap on the secondary market kind of weird. The whole reason it exists is because PAX doesn't let their prices rise to match demand (which I totally understand and am not complaining about).

You Report the people on ebay because they are selling an item that they do not have and that will not be shipped within 30 days of an auction ending ( assuming this is days after tickets sell out). Selling items and not shipping within 30 is in violation of Ebays policies.

So you are saying only people with lots of money are allowed to attend PAX? The cap exists is so that people are not looking to screw over their fellow gamers. I agree a small price increase is due since the buyer did go through the trouble of getting the ticket initially but why should you block out someone from a great event just because that cant afford $400 tickets+ travel+lodging. This is supposed to be a community and that subreddit exists to ensure fellow gamers can enjoy the event.

Sorry for the semi rant

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    stperonastperona Registered User regular

EBay has a policy that you must be able to ship whatever it is youre listing within 30 days of auction ending. Most the listings that go up right after tickets sell out violate this since it will be a few months before the tickets are actually received and they're able to send them out to the winning bidder. So the recommendation is to report such listings, at least until its closer to the event.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular

You might want to look through the forum history to see some good posts about hotels. Personally, I've posted about paying up front here

The FAQ about hotels from last year is here

• Options

You Report the people on ebay because they are selling an item that they do not have and that will not be shipped within 30 days of an auction ending ( assuming this is days after tickets sell out). Selling items and not shipping within 30 is in violation of Ebays policies.

So you are saying only people with lots of money are allowed to attend PAX? The cap exists is so that people are not looking to screw over their fellow gamers. I agree a small price increase is due since the buyer did go through the trouble of getting the ticket initially but why should you block out someone from a great event just because that cant afford $400 tickets+ travel+lodging. This is supposed to be a community and that subreddit exists to ensure fellow gamers can enjoy the event.

Sorry for the semi rant
    I didn't know about the ebay 30 days thing.

That is gross miss characterization what I said. You might note that I said I understand why PAX doesn't raise prices. If somebody wants to sell a pass they bought from PAX for a much smaller markup than they could, nothing is stopping them. If the Reddit had no cap, anybody who wanted to help the Reddit PAX community could still sell tickets there for less than market value (and probably get plenty of "likes" for being good in the process). And having a cap increases competition for those. And also ensures fewer tickets are available for that community.

• Options
    SanDogWepsSanDogWeps Limerick Monger San DiegoRegistered User regular
    If I buy a badge for someone who flakes (it happens), I just find a person haggling with a scalper the day of and say "I have a face value badge for you - let's go over to the badge inspectors and make the sale." There have been tears. Good for your karma...

Also - I need some of you guys working for me - this crowd does Indications and Warnings (I & W) WAY better than some of my Cryptologists...

keyanEQ2_100x400.gif
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    SanDogWeps wrote: »
    If I buy a badge for someone who flakes (it happens), I just find a person haggling with a scalper the day of and say "I have a face value badge for you - let's go over to the badge inspectors and make the sale." There have been tears. Good for your karma...

Last year my teenager didn't want to go. One of the days it was a last minute decision. I found a guy looking for passes. He asked how much I wanted and I told him face. He practically wept with joy. He had secured a scalped, overpriced badge for his girlfriend but was waiting for one for himself. I was happy to just recoup my money, honestly. I didn't need to make money on the transaction.

So, it could happen that you're unlucky enough to not be able to buy a badge when they go on sale. You can certainly find some outside the event. Hopefully you'll be lucky to find someone who will sell it at face.

vespachica on
    ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015

Yay another Michigander! You will be addicted to Seattle by the end of this. ;)

You will need to have a credit card that can be authorized for the first days cost but they will not charge you until you check in.

Here are the prices from last year (I took a screen print) I think most of these are 1 bed so add a few dollars for a 2 bed:
    Crowne Plaza Seattle - $169
    Fairmount Olymipic - $219
    Grand Hyatt - $203
    Hilton Seattle - $185
    Homewood Suites - $205
    Hotel Max - $199
    Hyatt at Olive 8 - $203
    Mayflower Park Hotel - $172
    Red Lion Hotel 5th Ave - $186
    Renaissance Seattle Hotel - $191
    Roosevelt Hotel - $184
    Sheraton - $184
    Spring Hills Suites - $199
    Westin - $180
    W Seattle Hotel - $199

I saw them going for double last year. I looked just in case I am not so lucky this year also. ;)

The Westin. My husband always stays there for business and we stayed there the last two years for PAX. Mid-range price, great rooms, <10 min walk to pretty much all of PAX and Pike Market. Since you are also on EST I would suggust getting a room that puts you between Pikes and the con. Basically you are going to be up WAY before everyone and it's awesome to walk down to breakfast and sit out on the waterfront.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options

Yay another Michigander! You will be addicted to Seattle by the end of this. ;)

You will need to have a credit card that can be authorized for the first days cost but they will not charge you until you check in.

Here are the prices from last year (I took a screen print) I think most of these are 1 bed so add a few dollars for a 2 bed:
    Crowne Plaza Seattle - $169
    Fairmount Olymipic - $219
    Grand Hyatt - $203
    Hilton Seattle - $185
    Homewood Suites - $205
    Hotel Max - $199
    Hyatt at Olive 8 - $203
    Mayflower Park Hotel - $172
    Red Lion Hotel 5th Ave - $186
    Renaissance Seattle Hotel - $191
    Roosevelt Hotel - $184
    Sheraton - $184
    Spring Hills Suites - $199
    Westin - $180
    W Seattle Hotel - $199

I saw them going for double last year. I looked just in case I am not so lucky this year also. ;)

The Westin. My husband always stays there for business and we stayed there the last two years for PAX. Mid-range price, great rooms, <10 min walk to pretty much all of PAX and Pike Market. Since you are also on EST I would suggust getting a room that puts you between Pikes and the con. Basically you are going to be up WAY before everyone and it's awesome to walk down to breakfast and sit out on the waterfront.
    Sorted by price:
    Crowne Plaza Seattle $169.00
    Mayflower Park Hotel $172.00
    Westin $180.00
    Roosevelt Hotel $184.00
    Sheraton $184.00
    Hilton Seattle $185.00
    Red Lion Hotel 5th Ave $186.00
    Renaissance Seattle Hotel $191.00
    Hotel Max $199.00
    Spring Hills Suites $199.00
    W Seattle Hotel $199.00
    Grand Hyatt $203.00
    Hyatt at Olive 8 $203.00
    Homewood Suites $205.00
    Fairmount Olymipic $219.00

• Options
    OrezbusOrezbus Wichita, KSRegistered User regular
    I keep hearing good things about the Sheraton. Anyone want to provide feedback on a few other hotels? After parties, Room review, etc.

Thanks

• Options
    Orezbus wrote: »
    I keep hearing good things about the Sheraton. Anyone want to provide feedback on a few other hotels? After parties, Room review, etc.

Thanks

Grand Hyatt is a pretty nice place to stay. They took care of me last year and the rooms were nice and clean. Thinking of staying again this year

4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    JKwonJKwon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Sheraton was nice because it's literally across the street from the convention. It was extremely convenient being able to drop off all of my freebies and merchandise in my hotel room rather than lugging it around the convention.

PAX Prime 2010 [x]
    PAX Prime 2011 [x]
    PAX Prime 2012 [x]
    PAX Prime 2013 [x]
    PAX Prime 2014 [x]
    PAX Prime 2015 [x]

https://pinnypals.com/pals/5Panel
  • Options

Thanks

Big fan of the Westin. Great rooms and the location is halfway between Pikes and the con. (<10 min walk either way)

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Homewood patron here. They are not perfect as far as service goes (search the forums), but for my wants, there isn't anything quite as good. Free breakfast and dinner (nothing fancy but decent), and having a full size refrigerator/kitchenette in the room is simply awesome to have (everything but an oven, this alone has saved me a bunch of money). Free (slow) wifi as well. They are on the higher end of the price range.

About a block away up the hill from the convention centre.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular

Thanks

I stayed at the Sheraton last year. First thing is that it is only a block away from the convention center and it's across the way from more than a few good eateries.

The biggest thing in my opinion is that the lobby is practically dedicated to card and table top gaming during the convention and it has a general kind of party atmosphere.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options

The biggest thing in my opinion is that the lobby is practically dedicated to card and table top gaming during the convention and it has a general kind of party atmosphere.

That is what I have heard. Sounds like a good place to hang out and meet new people of the community

• Options

That is what I have heard. Sounds like a good place to hang out and meet new people of the community

It helped that did a room share with some cool people to.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    I am probably going to do the same thing. A few friends want to try and rent like a suite for PAX. Would be fun but cost so much.

• Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Definitely looking forward to Pax, but I am working nights at the moment so it will be a bit tough when they start altering the page I will have to make sure I am awake longer than usual that week

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    kaZombiekaZombie AlbertaRegistered User regular
    All these talks of hotel fun makes me wanna get a hotel instead of renting a house for the week. But like between 4 cosplayers I feel like a hotel room with 1 bathroom would get very crowded

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    So far it looks like I will be staying at a Days Inn. It is the one near Bellevue. Has anyone tried this one? If so, would you recommend it? About 8 of us are travelling from Saskatchewan to Seattle and so we will likely be occupying two rooms. Most of us are in University so money becomes sort of an issue. Any hotel recommendations?

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    Be aware that the Red Lion is now called "The Motif"

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    kaZombie wrote: »
    All these talks of hotel fun makes me wanna get a hotel instead of renting a house for the week. But like between 4 cosplayers I feel like a hotel room with 1 bathroom would get very crowded

Yeah I do that for SDCC with my friends and I'm lucky that my cosplay doesn't involve make up.

I will say that it depends on how you want to do things. I did a room share with 5 other guys at the Sheraton, but I used to stay at the hostel for PAX, so staying with randoms in a single room is par for the course. They also happened to be a really cool group of guys, so I think I got lucky.

If you guys are cool being in close quarters I would recommend the Sheraton, but if people need their space then I would do the house. A big part of the hotel fun in my opinion is the experience you have with your roomies.
    Also if you can meet people at the convention who stay at the hotel you can just chill with them for the tabletop then go back to the house when your done.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    kaZombie wrote: »

Yeah I do that for SDCC with my friends and I'm lucky that my cosplay doesn't involve make up.

I will say that it depends on how you want to do things. I did a room share with 5 other guys at the Sheraton, but I used to stay at the hostel for PAX, so staying with randoms in a single room is par for the course. They also happened to be a really cool group of guys, so I think I got lucky.

If you guys are cool being in close quarters I would recommend the Sheraton, but if people need their space then I would do the house. A big part of the hotel fun in my opinion is the experience you have with your roomies.
    Also if you can meet people at the convention who stay at the hotel you can just chill with them for the tabletop then go back to the house when your done.

i can agree with HoboKing on this. Sharing a room is always nice. And just being able to be close the the expo and with everyone else in the same hotel things get fun.....especially after the pax after parties lol.

• Options
    LetMeInLetMeIn Registered User regular
    does onpeak list prices with or without tax?

With some people talking about their hotel experiences, I'll tell you mine:
    Last year was my first year for Pax and I stay at Kings Inn because I'm a tight-ass, I couldn't justify spending $50+ more per night just to get a 4star room instead of a 1star.Turns out ,in my mind, I was right because it saved me over $250 plus the friend that joined me was able to store his car there without costing him anything(they do have limited spots but lucked out that not every place was taken). As for quality it is a 1Star hotel, small rooms, no refrigerator, power in half the room cut out for hours a couple times, and I didn't use the elevator(I don't think is unsafe, just didn't look very clean.probably clean but very stained from many years of use) but I didn't care about that stuff.It was cheap(110 a night), a place to sleep, ok shower and I never planned to spend time sitting in the hotel room.

This year I think I'm going with Hotel Seattle because it seems cheaper and closer. Has any of you stayed ther before?

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The OnPeak listings are without tax, but they provide a tax estimate as part of your order. Like here's my confirmation from last year:

Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers
    Double Occupancy - Two Beds
    $184.00 | Avg nightly event rate
    1 Reservation (5 Room Nights) $920.00
    Taxes & Fees $153.50
    Estimated Total $1,073.50

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Ugh, the place I stayed at last year up in Queen Anne has more than tripled in price. Then again, that was a pretty far walk, and renting a car is completely unreasonable, the way parking works in that town.

I may try for the Sheraton this year, but I'd want to split the cost with someone as many nights as possible. And I also want to stay in town for a day before and after the show. Hmm... this may be tricky.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    The OnPeak listings are without tax, but they provide a tax estimate as part of your order. Like here's my confirmation from last year:

Taxes & Fees $153.50

Thanks for this. Looking to get similar accommodations and split between three people. This helps my budget estimates immensely!

• Options

Taxes & Fees $153.50

Thanks for this. Looking to get similar accommodations and split between three people. This helps my budget estimates immensely!

Each year the cost has increased $10-$15 a night so make sure to include that into your calculations.

• Options

Taxes & Fees $153.50

How many people will the Sheraton let you keep in a room? Last year we had 6 but I don't know how cool they are with it if I pushed that to 7.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular

How many people will the Sheraton let you keep in a room? Last year we had 6 but I don't know how cool they are with it if I pushed that to 7.

As long as you don't ask for more hotel keys, what they don't know won't hurt them...

IMO just do and and if they bitch pretend someone was drunk and you thought it would be safer for them to sleep it off in your room than to go back to their place.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular

As long as you don't ask for more hotel keys, what they don't know won't hurt them...

IMO just do and and if they bitch pretend someone was drunk and you thought it would be safer for them to sleep it off in your room than to go back to their place.

In my experience, this is true of all hotels. Believe me, the staff knows you've got 6 people in there, they just don't care. So don't give them a reason to report you.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

The max you can put down per room is 4 people... but as others say, don't ask and don't tell, they know what's going on.

• Options

The max you can put down per room is 4 people... but as others say, don't ask and don't tell, they know what's going on.

That's what I figured from my past experience, but I wanted to see if that was the norm for more seasoned PAX hotel goers. I imagine they turn a blind eye because of the sheer volume of business their getting at that hotel and how much goes on after hours.

May PAX be upon you.
This discussion has been closed.