As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Now we'll see what I can do with this planet. [Red Mars]

ButlerButler 89 episodes or bustRegistered User regular
edited January 2015 in Social Entropy++
It seems my favourite book series that I am reading right now is getting adapted for TV by Babylon 5's J. Michael Straczynski, with GoT's Vince Gerardis producing.

I want to be excited but I'm scared of getting hurt. Those are two fantastic names to have attached though.

If you haven't read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, you should really give it a go. It's the very hardest of hard science fiction, concerning near-future humanity's colonisation and terraformation of Mars over a timescale of centuries, but it's as much a political and philosophical exploration of how living on an alien world changes us as human beings - or fails to do so. Most of the focus is on the first hundred colonists and their relationships and activities, and they're all really three-dimensional, interesting, flawed people. That includes the female characters, who get just as much page-time as the guys, and if anything are even better-written.

Details about the TV show are thin on the ground at the moment but we can use this thread to talk about the books too. Don't forget spoiler tags!

Butler on

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Red Mars is so fundamentally character-driven, it's ideal for tv. Yes the science is well-supported and interesting, but to me it always read more as a soap opera in space. Well, on mars.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sounds like I've got me some books to pick up!

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    My dream cast for the "big three":
    Claudia Christian as Maya Toitovna
    Headshot5_400px.jpg

Dennis Quaid as John Boone
    dennis_quaid.jpg

Alfred Molina as Frank Chalmers
    alfred-molina-identity-1.jpg

• Options
    ... yeah, I'm on board with all those.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Red Mars is so fundamentally character-driven, it's ideal for tv. Yes the science is well-supported and interesting, but to me it always read more as a soap opera in space. Well, on mars.

Well some of the biology stuff gets a bit sketchy towards the end if I recall correctly. Still loved the books and the themes of deciding how we want to live and evil international capital should resonate pretty well in today's climate.

I wonder:
    a) How they're going to do the landscape shots? Could be pretty easy to do it all in the american west and recolour the sky. I hope there is a big diversity in landscape though, exploring Mars was such a big deal in the books.
    b) How they're going to deal with modern Russia not being 80's Russia, or the change in the relative power of Japan and China you get in a lot near future stuff written in the 80s.
    c) How they're going to deal with the multi-decade timescales the book happened over.
    d) Michael Emerson as Sax Russell?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh, the bio stuff gets totally bonkers. I guess by well supported I was mostly thinking about the logistics of interplanetary travel and
    innovative cross-planet sabotage and warfare

tynic on
  • Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

Well some of the biology stuff gets a bit sketchy towards the end if I recall correctly. Still loved the books and the themes of deciding how we want to live and evil international capital should resonate pretty well in today's climate.

I wonder:
    a) How they're going to do the landscape shots? Could be pretty easy to do it all in the american west and recolour the sky. I hope there is a big diversity in landscape though, exploring Mars was such a big deal in the books.
    b) How they're going to deal with modern Russia not being 80's Russia, or the change in the relative power of Japan and China you get in a lot near future stuff written in the 80s.
    c) How they're going to deal with the multi-decade timescales the book happened over.
    d) Michael Emerson as Sax Russell?

a) Uh I dunno. Something something computers?
    b) I think they could rejig the political background pretty easily. As long as they keep the basic idea of powerful nations gradually being superseded by powerful corporations, the details of who is from where won't matter too much.
    c) Well the (Red Mars spoilers)
    development of the anti-aging drugs makes that a bit easier. If they introduce them a bit earlier in the story then they won't have to age up the actors.
    d) Yes! Although I think Sax is supposed to be a bit potbellied. And I'll raise you an Olivia Colman as Ann.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    oh sweet, i loved the first two books. this might be enough to motivate me to go find the third.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I keep getting about halfway into the the second book and then stopping

I'm never completely sure why I stop, I just do.

Might be time for another run at them...

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The Mars series would make for some excellent television, honestly, this sounds fairly promising!

Also I'd be onboard with your dream cast, Butler, though add in Damian Lewis somewhere and I'd just throw money at it all day long.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    There's new news on the internet!

Spike has ordered 10 episodes of "Red Mars" straight-to-series, which means a full season is getting made without waiting to see how the pilot does. JMS and Vince Gerardis are still attached.

• Options
    majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    I'm afraid, so very very afraid... Spike TV is "Dude TV". This project (done well) is quite outside of their wheelhouse.

Crossing my fingers that this doesn't end up as another "We really liked the title" adaptations.

Movie_poster_i_robot.jpg

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm half way through green Mars at the moment. I've enjoyed them so far, but for some reason I find them very hard to read.

I'd better hurry up and finish them though, cause I'm so watching that.

orthanc
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I vaguely remember reading some novels but I'm not sure it's the same.
    Did the first book deal with venture capitalists mining asteroids,
    with the following book dealing with a nanobot contaminated Mars?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    No, but that does sound interesting! The Red Mars books are about the first long-term colonists on Mars, and how the planet gradually (and sometimes violently) develops into a society distinct from that of Earth.

• Options
    Orthanc wrote: »
    I'm half way through green Mars at the moment. I've enjoyed them so far, but for some reason I find them very hard to read.

I'd better hurry up and finish them though, cause I'm so watching that.

There are certainly some major character deaths that just come out of nowhere in the books. It doesn't really have a "red wedding" equivalent though.