As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: Onto a comical new season

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    No kidding. The Perfect Pear is one of the best (if not the best) episodes the show has ever done.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Holy cow.

Today's episode was seriously meta. Particularly given that BronyCon is happening right now.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Holy cow.

Today's episode was seriously meta. Particularly given that BronyCon is happening right now.

"Rarity, what are you wearing?"
    "My *emotions*, darling!"

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Oh, a "character spends all the episode stupidly lying and making things messier for an incredibly stupid reason"-episode.

One of my least favorite concepts in all media. I haven't ever seen a writer do it well.

Absalon on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Wasn't quite fond of the premise myself, to be honest.

The whole time I kept thinking, "Twilight, you've had enough experience with friendship problems to know how this is going to play out".

Usually the show tends to subvert tropes, but this episode was pretty paint by numbers. I wouldn't call it a bad episode, but admittedly it was not one of my favorites this season.

• Options
    Today's episode was super fun! It didn't do a whole lot with the main cast, but the stories that were being told were direct tie-ins to the comic series, which was actually really cool. It was a neat episode overall, and a really cool angle for them to take.

Also, the three legends corresponded to the last three Legends of Magic comics published, so that means that there's a good chance that
    Starswirl the Bearded becomes a part of the actual show sometime this season

Oh, and also
    Flyders? NO THANK YOU

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Applejack and Rainbow's stories were consistent with what we've seen of pony history before (with pegasi being Roman and earth ponies Teutonic) but Rarity's was the first time we've seen a pony equivalent of East Asia, at least on the TV series.

...I'm jonesing for more some more development of Saddle Arabia now.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So...something weird happened on Monday evening after I got back from PAX: I decided to watch the latest episode on my Nvidia Shield (yes, I bought the back-half of Season 7 from Google Play). After clicking on "Play Latest Episode," instead of playing "To Change a Changeling" like I was expecting to see, it started playing "Daring Done". Did this happen to anybody else? Did Google accidentally release the upcoming weekend's episode last week? I checked back yesterday, and it removed "Daring Done" and played "To Change a Changeling"...but I positively know what I watched on Monday!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Yup, Hasbro apparently released "Daring Done" instead of "To Change a Changeling" on YouTube and Google play on accident, so this Saturday's episode is already out there in the wild. They fixed it later, but you did indeed see what you thought you saw!
    Also, eeeeee the Sphinx and Egyptian ponies (Particularly Somnabula) were AWESOME designs!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    New movie trailer dropped today. Under the spoiler if you'd like to see it.

A little less than a month until it's in theaters.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Apologies for multi-posting, but I wanted to give everyone fair warning:

The movie has leaked. Apparently there is a full HD copy of the movie floating around the internet right now, in advance of this Friday's premiere date. Expect considerable buzz in most pony-inclined locales, with lots of details and plot summaries.

The primary takeaway is: If you are hoping to avoid spoilers on social media, be extra cautious!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    So the movie premiered last night! And it seems that the overwhelming review from most is...
    Meh.

Like, a seriously big meh. It's a movie. It apparently has ponies in it. The most level critique I've heard so far is that the animation is gorgeous and the story is a mess.

Superfans are calling it phenomenal, and others are calling it worse than the emoji movie, but the reasonable reviews seem to be nothing more than the critical equivalent of a shrug.

I won't be able to see the movie for myself for some time, sadly, but I'd be interested to hear what anyone here has to say about it!

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Better than meh. Good script, small gags and good visual or auditory details surprisingly often, cool villain (Tempest, the Storm King is just okay), good visuals, good voice acting and new characters. Not the most interesting story or plot structure, but the small-scale stuff and the execution is pretty much great.

This movie is the eight-est eight out of ten that ever eight out of ten'd, at least for a fan of the show. Otherwise, it's a 6-7 depending on your mood. I expected something more boilerplate, saccharine and simplified. The only thing I could have wished for is more time and good lines for all the mane six (not even Twilight gets a lot of moments) but that would definitely not have left time for the surprisingly good plot-furthering scenes and the really good songs.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Do have to wonder whether it's worth the nearly $20 i'd have to spend to see this in AMC this weekend.

Or i could wait and catch a weekday matinee for cheap because my new job start date got delayed and i've got nothing to do next week :-/

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Nah, you can wait for a bit.

But one more thing - boy it's nice to have a TV-cartoon-based cinematic movie not be like 78 minutes long.

Also, there's a song in there that would not be ashamed to show up at a dance for Disney songs, even though it wouldn't get prom queen.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    So, uh...

The next four episodes of the show (five, if you count today's), including the season finale, have been leaked online. The leaks have been confirmed, and in HD. Watch yourself on social media, as this includes the season finale, which apparently has some major twists to it that you may want to be surprised by.

In addition, original show animatic assets, scripts, and Lauren Faust's original show bible have been released into the wild, as well.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on right now, but considering five episodes, a ton of show assets, and the entire movie have been leaked in the span of a week, I'm somewhat concerned.

Some speculation abounds, particularly since DHX, the studio that creates the show, has put themselves up for sale, but at this point it's all rumor.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So about today's episode:
    Is it true that Iron Will was written to be more of a jackass? That'd be disappointing to hear if true. I mean, I know he's only shown in one episode prior to this and thus could reasonably have his personality fleshed out more before 'out of character' is tossed but still...

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Is it true that Iron Will was written to be more of a jackass? That'd be disappointing to hear if true. I mean, I know he's only shown in one episode prior to this and thus could reasonably have his personality fleshed out more before 'out of character' is tossed but still...
    I'm not entirely sure I'd call him more of a jackass, to be honest. He does do a few things that might be considered unsavory in a way that's clearly designed to move the plot forward. All things considered, he's written a bit like Trixie - Just enough of a jackass to be himself.

Honestly, in my opinion he was really good in today's episode. Particularly the way he exits.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I'm not entirely sure I'd call him more of a jackass, to be honest. He does do a few things that might be considered unsavory in a way that's clearly designed to move the plot forward. All things considered, he's written a bit like Trixie - Just enough of a jackass to be himself.

Honestly, in my opinion he was really good in today's episode. Particularly the way he exits.
    Yeah, like he says, not his fault Twilights parents didn't read the contract properly. He kind of seems to be turning into Mr Torgue from Borderlands, but maybe it's just all the shouting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah, like he says, not his fault Twilights parents didn't read the contract properly. He kind of seems to be turning into Mr Torgue from Borderlands, but maybe it's just all the shouting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg8qaODglzI

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Absalon wrote: »
    Better than meh. Good script, small gags and good visual or auditory details surprisingly often, cool villain (Tempest, the Storm King is just okay), good visuals, good voice acting and new characters. Not the most interesting story or plot structure, but the small-scale stuff and the execution is pretty much great.

This movie is the eight-est eight out of ten that ever eight out of ten'd, at least for a fan of the show. Otherwise, it's a 6-7 depending on your mood. I expected something more boilerplate, saccharine and simplified. The only thing I could have wished for is more time and good lines for all the mane six (not even Twilight gets a lot of moments) but that would definitely not have left time for the surprisingly good plot-furthering scenes and the really good songs.

Just went and saw it last night. And while I agree with most of what you've said, I did have one tiny (and, admittedly, very superficial) complaint: something about the animation of the ponies just looked...off. It might be from being acclimated to a particular animation style from the past several years in the show...but it was a pretty jarring change (to me, anyways).

Of course, this might not even be an issue for most (all?) other people...I just went in completely blind to the movie and the content (total media blackout prior to watching the movie).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    RetrocheerileeRetrocheerilee RetroJunkRegistered User regular
    Hey, haven't been here for months. Anyway, in 2 weeks season 7 ends.

• Options
    Secrets and Pies would be a strong contender for best episode of this season, if it weren't jam packed with other episodes that were way beyond expectations in terms of quality (Seriously, what can compete with The Perfect Pear?).

There were so many fantastic faces.
    uHhaYJe.png
    R9Q2ReK.png
    wSsbPIA.png

Special mention to Laser-Eye'd Dash for being ridiculous and hilarious.

NQPrLn8.png

• Options
    Bad OC Dash is best Dash.

• Options
    0omp2mdm6727.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Andy Price's variant cover for MLP #62:

mjlid71mua4u.jpgser2bekgy5ud.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, I've been making it a habit to (re)watch an episode or two during my lunch break, and I got to the back half of Season 6. In particular, "Where the Apple Lies." Went back to October in the thread to see if it was mentioned (couldn't find it), but I noticed something in the background that kinda stuck out to me (what with it being Halloween season).

Shining reference, or my imagination running wild?
    ffa5aeni6x3p.jpg

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Finale was great. Lots of fun, good character moments, interesting backstory.

Hope we get a flashback to Celestia and Luna as students in Season 8.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Agreed, the finale was pretty fun overall.

I'm pretty enthusiastic for the potential of the pillars to become recurring characters.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Agreed, the finale was pretty fun overall.

I'm pretty enthusiastic for the potential of the pillars to become recurring characters.

I particularly liked the
    callback to the sirens from EG - Rainbow Rocks in the second half of the finale.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Two Best Sisters Play Halloween Surprise!
    https://youtu.be/--eAjuzw-_o

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Holy cow that was amazing. I especially appreciate all the custom NES art that 2Snacks put into this one. Fantastic as always.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Looks like the IDW comic's going to bring another fanfic idea into (semi-)canon form with April's issue.
    zVqthy9.jpg
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #65
    Thom Zahler (w) • Andy Price (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B) • Trish "Nanook123" Forstner (CVR RI)

Princess Celestia disguises herself to live amongst ordinary ponies for a day. What she learns about her subjects, and herself, will surprise her!

Also, Legends Of Magic will be ending with a 48-page special.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNuTaYwgeRw

Looks like we have our confirmation for what Season 8 is about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like the video got taken down?

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    That reminds me...
    I should watch the MLP Movie.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Looks like the video got taken down?

There are other copies available elsewhere, such as in the EQD post about it from yesterday. Hasbro originally posted it and then apparently took it down, so this might be another accidental release.