As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post PAX Pin Pal Depression

QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest MortalRegistered User regular
So, it's that time again. The latest PAX is over, all the attendees are coming off of that emotional weekend high; we're all sharing our best and worst memories of the weekend. This PAX was pretty special to me; it is in my back yard, it was an inaugural PAX and likely the LAST inaugural pax, 3/4 of my Pinglorious Basterds were all in one place(my pin trading group), and I was much more involved socially with the pin community this time. All this positivity and energy from my fellow man(and women) just gets me so, for a lack of a better term, high. An exuberant joyousness flows over us all, things like sleep and food all fall lower on our priorities and we push our bodies harder to keep riding that train until soon afterwards we begin to crash.

I've never considered myself an emotional person, or hell even a person all that capable of true emotional connections at the human level; this weekend reminded me that this is not true. Last night and today I've crashed pretty hard. This morning, on top of this crushing emotional downslope we've all been hit with, I lost a patient. I don't much care to go into details, but I'm in a pretty rough place now all of a sudden.

PAX East is right around the corner, and I can't wait to get there, but this is the hardest I've ever crashed after a PAX and I just wanna know...how are you guys doing? Any fun coping mechanisms or things you do for your PPD? I'm going to mail out a ton of pins to pin pals after work today, but I don't know what to do to ease the brunt. Anything non-pin related that you guys do after pax to manage?

• Options
    rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    Stay strong man. Sorry about your loss. It was great to meet you and trade with you at the dinner.

I missed all of Sunday because I was freaking out about flying and the snow storm. So I changed my flight to Sunday night. By the time I changed it all the buses to Houston had already left, so I went to rent a car and three different car rental places refused my debt card because earlier in the weekend it got a fraud detection, from buying so many pins ;) So I had to search the web to find a car rental service I could pre pay for. Ended up getting a car and getting to the airport and through security with about ten minutes before the flight took off. So my post-pax blues started before the show even ended.

I hope everyone got how ok and I hope to see everyone in Boston, I hope we can get a dinner together again Thursday night...if it ever stops snowing.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    @Qumaden at least you have a sweet-ass heart pin now. That has to count for something.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Louis CK released a new special today for $5 on his website.

Watch that and laugh a bunch this evening!

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I'm totally buying that Louis CK special. I really like his choice of distribution and I feel compelled to support it. Plus he's hilarious.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    After PAX Aus last year I binge watched the PA DVDs I bought during the show, and caught up on panels I had missed via Twitch. Took the edge off a little...

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I'm going to be watching the panels I missed, and planning for East.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    East is so soon that the moment I get home I can start the PAX East hype train thread.

• Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    This is helping me get past the depression now that I'm back home. =D

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Diffusion wrote: »
    This is helping me get past the depression now that I'm back home. =D

Ok, that got a laugh out of me. Thanks man, I needed that.

• Options
    kainz0rkainz0r Registered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    but this is the hardest I've ever crashed after a PAX and I just wanna know...how are you guys doing?

That post-PAX depression is for real though. It hasn't hit me for this PAX yet, I'm still rolling on that PAX high. I know it's coming though. Gonna buy a few pints of Ben & Jerry's and get ready to eat my way to happiness.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    East is so soon that the moment I get home I can start the PAX East hype train thread.

My hype train consists of month long Greek-style austerity measures to afford the flights and not be stressed about cash...

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    My hype train consists of month long Greek-style austerity measures to afford the flights and not be stressed about cash...

Also known as "Pallet of Ramen"

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    Post PAX depression is worse when you only go to one PAX. After Prime me and my friends are like whelp... time to wait another year.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    Also known as "Pallet of Ramen"

Please don't pin pals! Ramen noodles are awful for you, and not meant as a means of primary sustenance despite what everyone says about college etc. Seasoned red beans and rice tastes better, is just as cheap, and won't give you heart problems at age 35.

Make sure you're around long enough to pass your pins on to your grandkids!

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    Hitchhiker DentHitchhiker Dent Registered User regular
    dchoy wrote: »
    Post PAX depression is worse when you only go to one PAX. After Prime me and my friends are like whelp... time to wait another year.

Knowing that I'll be going to Prime makes it much easier. However I ended up catching PAX Pox, and have taken a few days off while I've been down with the sickness. It's a good excuse to feed my depression with binging on panel videos and Netflix.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    dmosinee wrote: »
    Seasoned red beans and rice tastes better, is just as cheap, and won't give you heart problems at age 35.

Red beans and rice...mmm...

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm from Aus, and am just 100 miles or so north of Melbourne, where PAX Aus is held. I've been to both, and plan to go again this year. I can attest to the post-Pax blues, it caused the wife to question me for several days. But it gets better - I assure you.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    PPD is a thing. Here's a list of things that can help:

Watch PA TV, PAX DVD's and the un-official PAX community dvd's
    Arrange\attend meet ups if possible, even if you have to drive a bit its worth it
    Stay active in the forums
    Chat via skype, irc, whatsap, etc.
    Watch the recorded panels you missed, or re-watch the ones you saw again.
    Plan meetups and panels and community stuff for your next PAX.

PPD is a real thing, but you are not alone, and thats what makes it ok.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Do stuff to keep busy. Bug Trevor Kidd about taking Acq Inc to Aus this year. Talk bollocks on the forums. Watch videos of stuff you missed.

• Options
    NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    I started a routine to combat PPD a little, basically after the con is over, I walk around the city by myself and listen to some mellow music and maybe take pictures along the way.

It seems like doing these walks would create more depressed feelings but they are kinda like one giant sigh that helps me personally unload, there is just something about exploring down Seattle, Boston, San Antonio by yourself that is calming, at least for me.

Hope things get easier.

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Does anyone else suffer from Pre-PAX depression at all? Every year just before PAX I start hearing about bands that won't be playing (Protomen again :() or companies that won't be attending (Renegade Kid) or panels I love that aren't happening (NWR) and start feeling like I don't really want to go this year, that I will have a terrible time and hate it. By the time it actually rolls around I usually end up having a good time, but I end up stressed out for a good month before hand.

• Options
    misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I usually end up so excited about PAXes (and other Aus cons) that I crash right before them. Guests pulling out tends to exacerbate that. In those cases I tend to focus on my friends - I never con alone - and try to fill back up on their excitement rather than dwelling on what I'll miss out on. There's always something at the con to be excited about, like friends, or other panels, or pin collecting ehhehhhehEEHEHEHEHEH and even if I don't reach PEAK EXCITEMENT I can generally convince myself it'll be a good time no matter what's missing this year.

• Options
    CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    I've got weird anxiety stemming from a worry that I'm going to spend my entire PAX hunting pins for my pals and won't have time to enjoy myself. Though I spent pretty much my whole PAX pin-hunting last year and I still had a blast. And this year I'm much better prepared. But anxiety isn't rational, sadly.

I've also got anxiety that something is going to trigger my sensory issues again and I'm going to have to go crash in one of the walkways above the main floor. (The ventilation hum and cold glass are very soothing.) But as long as I don't get caught in a conversation with a close-talking Sony rep right next to a speaker again, I should be all right.

So it's more pre-PAX anxiety than pre-PAX depression, but still a brain being dumb about things that haven't even happened yet.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • Options
    The fear that you spend all PAX doing nothing but Pins is understandable, but I was able to go to every Mike and Jerry panel at every PAX since '13. I slept in several times, made sure I ate and still finished getting enough for 4 people way ahead of Omegathon Final Round.

What I think will help this year is that the Community is far more connected than before. It has really become a large-scale effort, to the point that at South whilst queuing for the State of Decay Pin, I jumped out of line to buy Sentinels Pins for everyone in line who didn't have them yet. So it's going to be less taxing on everyone because we can all work together and cut down on the queuing.

Pro Tips: WhatsApp (to be co-ordinated shortly. We have the channel, just need numbers.)
    Cash rather than plastic, because it's quicker for the stores and quicker when settling up with other people.
    Organise your bag
    Pinny Wise app

• Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Organise your bag

So we've seen lots of awesome home pin display/organization setups in the other thread -- but I'd love to hear more about these supposedly organized bags. At south (particularly in the pin trading line) we spent a ton of time digging through pinbank sack looking for this or that -- always paranoid about them spilling out of the bag and getting lost.

I have my display case sash to keep the good stuff front and center, but I want 12 Top Tips for keeping your bag of trade stock maintained.

dmosinee on
    Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Zip lock bag with various pins. Pedro's put mine to shame in terms of how messy it was.

• Options
    Zip lock bag with various pins. Pedro's put mine to shame in terms of how messy it was.

I am the Worst.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I only have around 12 fodder pins, but if I had more, I'd just sort them alphabetically by name and location (i.e. South: Core Set, Baron Blade, DD2 Cannon Tower, Giddy Up, Iris, LE, Ugin). It's how my DVDs, BluRays, and video games are organized, and that's the way I likes it. I would use @agentcooper 's method from here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/31837197/#Comment_31837197 and then use colored paper or card sleeves that tie in with the background colors used at http://www.pinnypals.com/pins to signify which PAX the pins came from. Until that time comes when I need sorting for more pins, I will stick with my cardboard taped to cardboard and call it good enough.

Hingo on
    Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    @silrn turned me to Iris Photo box's at PAX Aus, and that is what I used at South. Highly organized, can it up to twelve pins, on the backings, in each one. As long as you keep pins organized in a manner that makes sense to you, you will be able to easily pull out the pins and find what you need.

http://www.joann.com/iris-photo-keeper/9531211.html

00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    I had a zippable A4 folder with the ultra pro 9 slot pockets in it. Each pin slides nicely into a pocket, and you can easily flick between pages.

I'll post a pic tonight :)