As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Someone in the writing room saw one of Donnas episodes and thought "man, it's been a while since we had a character who's as gobby as she is annoying and stupid".

And Donna turned out to be the best companion, so....

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm on mobile internet so can't watch the video; is the new companion a feisty young lady who promises to give as good as she gets and might yet surprise the Doctor with her resourcefulness, spunk, and strong independent streak?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm on mobile internet so can't watch the video; is the new companion a feisty young lady who promises to give as good as she gets and might yet surprise the Doctor with her resourcefulness, spunk, and strong independent streak?

That guess is certainly far more specific than the information contained in the clip. I can, however, confirm "feisty young lady" and "strong independent streak".

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Was anyone hoping for a timid, easily swayed old man?

The trailer doesn't say much about her character beyond the fact that she finds daleks kind of funny.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

He could be a Time Lord called the Warden who has been given the job of checking that the Doctor doesn't break time laws

Only the Doctor always gets the better of him, but he allows the Warden to stick around because he would only get replaced with somebody worse

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I dunno about timid and easily swayed but, old man? sure

S4QMEXy.jpg

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Pretty boring, safe choice for a show that spans galaxies. Yawn.
    I guess they wanted a character to tie into the new spin-off.

Low chance now that she turns out to be a genderless alien/robot/hivemind/cloud of sentient spores. :bzz:

Even just a male PoC would have been a somewhat original change.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    surprise!

It's River

• HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    So. Tangential Who relation, but something I wanted to share here.

It was my birthday yesterday and my brother gave me a gift. A Doctor Who pillow cover, and I positively adore it.You know that fine line between cute and "oh dear god get that thing away from me"? The funko-pop dilemma?

Well this pillowcase is a heavily stylised 10th Doctor, with cheery dead cartoon eyes and, as much as I adore it for the gift and cuddle factor, @Gatsby finds it positively terrifying. Which of course makes me love it more.

The pillowcase in question:
    31622f_4ff473b4e6374bf5ba676785c110ca6a~mv2.jpg_srz_p_850_1133_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    That is fantastically creepy, and I love it.

camo_sig2.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Im a little disappointed it's not a body pillow.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Im a little disappointed it's not a body pillow.

It's bigger on the inside.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm still rather gobsmacked by how dark "The Waters of Mars" gets, and I'm not really looking forward to losing Tennant and getting Smith in return.

Then again, from what I've heard, the last two Tennant episodes aren't exactly great, or even good, so perhaps I'll be quite grateful for the breath of fresh air.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    They're different. Smith feels more like the Doctor should be after Tennant was a Doctor who was still obsessed over what he was and did before and trying to somehow atone for it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    What was the line? "The one who forgives and the one who forgets." ?

Good line.

Tennant is still my Doctor. I liked Smith (eventually) very much too.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Igort wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Someone in the writing room saw one of Donnas episodes and thought "man, it's been a while since we had a character who's as gobby as she is annoying and stupid".

And Donna turned out to be the best companion, so....

That's not how you say Amy Pond.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Good line.

Tennant was the man who regrets, Smiff was the man who forgets.

Oh brilliant
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It took me a long time to warm up to Smith but his performance grew on me.

It actually took Day of the Doctor to really make me go back and take a second pass on his episodes with a new perspective. He's still not my favorite of the New Who Doctors (At this point that's actually Capaldi) or anything but I can appreciate him now.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Good line.

Tennant was the man who regrets, Smiff was the man who forgets.

Yea, it isn't really accurate as I don't think Smith really forgets but it is a truthy summary. Smith is trying to move on because he knows he overcorrected before and was causing a new set of problems. Tennant gives no fuck about such problems if they in some way make up for his previous actions.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Smith's first season is very good indeed, and his first episode was my favourite of new Who until the anniversary episode came along (which was then succeeded by the one from last series - you know which one).

Smith's first season is very good indeed, and his first episode was my favourite of new Who until the anniversary episode came along (which was then succeeded by the one from last series - you know which one).

It was all downhill from there.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Smith was kind of the universe reset switch Doctor.

It's like with him they wrote such elaborate stuff the only way they could get him out of it was by unlocking the doctor's truest power and making him use it every episode.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Series 5 is still my favourite, it being an idea Moffat had for 10+ years really shows.

Spoilers for S5 don't read this Thirith!
    the 'continuity error' being a plot point in Flesh and Stone was masterful. There's juuust enough to that scene to make it feel like a natural part of the episode, that they screwed up and left the doc's coat on.

It's not until the end where it becomes real obvious that the Doctor talking to Amy in that scene has known her a lot longer and cares for her a lot more. And that was the first episode they filmed, so Smiff had it locked in from the get go! His performance in Eleventh Hour, still acting like Tennant and 'settling in' to the role is all calculated, as it was filmed later in the season.

Oh brilliant
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Is there a date for when the next season starts? I haven't seen one yet.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    There's a Christmas Special this year, that's it. The next season isn't until next year.

There we are - S4 and specials finished. While the finale was a mess in so many ways, some of the farewell scenes were surprisingly effective. I think the one with Jessica Hynes got to me most, and the one with Rose was nice, though some of the others milked it a tad too much. Curious now to see whether and how I'll take to Matt Smith.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    How'd ya like his first scene? Tenth Doctor kinda screwed him by regenerating like that mid flight. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It felt like a total reboot when Smith showed up for me. Didn't connect to the rest of the series for awhile.

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It felt like a total reboot when Smith showed up for me. Didn't connect to the rest of the series for awhile.

Well yes, that was the intention. Doctor Who does a bit of a soft reboot every few years to provide a jumping off point for new viewers

Xeddicus wrote: »

Well yes, that was the intention. Doctor Who does a bit of a soft reboot every few years to provide a jumping off point for new viewers

Then the season ended with a literal reboot of the universe!

Having watched my first Matt Smith episode now (that's actually a bit of a lie - I did see "The Doctor's Wife" years ago, but knowing nearly no Doctor Who whatsoever it was lost on me), I can say I'm intrigued. "The Eleventh Hour" is probably my favourite introduction of a new Doctor so far, and I already foresee liking Amy Pond. (I'm a sucker for women with Scottish accents...) Also, damn, can Olivia Colman bring the scariness! It's a shame she didn't have a bigger part, but she was great in her scenes. And that season preview - wow. Definitely looking forward to this!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The Eleventh Hour was my introduction to Who. I was pretty enamored, and I still use it when I want to hook someone into Who.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    The Eleventh Hour was my introduction to Who. I was pretty enamored, and I still use it when I want to hook someone into Who.

First I saw was the last 10 minutes of "The Doctor Dances", and was confused about why the villain from Gone in 60 Seconds was so damn happy about bombed-out London..

Some months/years later, I caught "Gridlock" in it's entirety and was instantly hooked, because that premise was fantastic. That was when I went out of my way to go watch NuWho from the start.

I've now watched "The Beast Below", and if this season keeps up its great casting for guest stars, then it'll definitely be the best-cast season so far. Sophie Okonedo is so much fun, and sexier than I've ever seen her, as Liz 10. If I'm not mistaken, I also spotted Bill Nighy and Toby Jones in the season preview, so, yeah... Wow.

I think I may be turning from someone who was on the fence about Doctor Who to a bit of a fanboy.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Honestly, the true reason behind the crust in your eyes is far more terrifying than the Who episode.

That has been in my drafts for a really long time.

steam_sig.png
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Finally caught up with Who up to the S9 finale. Amazon Prime has the Christmas ep. too I think I'll just buy that. This season was great. Capaldi really brought the highs to astonishing levels!!! but then the lows for me were with the Zygon episodes. Everything was dumbed down in order to make the Zygons a credible threat... well Who writers... I did not enjoy that.

Boo! About the news with the fallout of Moffat leaving. That's a lot of time without watching Dr Who :( But I hear the audio dramas are good. I never tried them and am really interested in the Hurt story.

Edit: I stopped reading this way back last year in order to avoid spoilers. So I'm reading the reactions to S9 and the news that came along too. So I guess it's not much of a wait after all for S10... for me :P

Armoroc on
    The ending to the Zygon episode was worth the silly build up, IMO.

Nicely tied Capaldi into Day of the Doctor, giving him the epilogue to that story. Plus his performance in that scene was fantastic.

Oh brilliant
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Did anyone catch what was going on with John Barrowman and something about reasons why there hasn't been more Torchwood? I'm getting conflicting reports about what happened and it's hard to tell what is true and what is people blowing things out of proportion.

Delmain on
This discussion has been closed.