As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Deleted post

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Part of me is clinging to the fantasy that Michelle Gomez will somehow play the next incarnation of the Doctor

It's going to be a woman or the hints being dropped for awhile are just red herrings which would piss people off instead of just not doing anything to hint at it and then staying with the the norm.

• Options
    I do get the feeling there will be some sort of twist with this regeneration.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I do get the feeling there will be some sort of twist with this regeneration.

Twist:
    That was it. Final regeneration. Capaldi's Doctor was too free with using his regeneration energy and doesn't have enough to rebuild himself again after already regenerated more than he should have.
    Space rocks fall. Everybody space dies. Cut to shot of the TARDIS sitting in the Dr. Who quarry, play sad remix of Dr. Who theme.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He regenerates back into 9. No one would see it coming!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    So..
    Spoilering this since talkinga bout Cybermen might be spoilery with the last episode? better safe than be yelled at by angry mods

How many different types of Cybermen are there? Cause it seems like anyone toying with any kind of cybernetics eventually develops into a full blown new species of cybermen.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    He regenerates back into 9. No one would see it coming!

I wish!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Part of me is clinging to the fantasy that Michelle Gomez will somehow play the next incarnation of the Doctor

It's going to be a woman or the hints being dropped for awhile are just red herrings which would piss people off instead of just not doing anything to hint at it and then staying with the the norm.

Hints? I don't think they've hinted the next Doctor is going to be a woman. They talked about the Master being Missy now, but not in any way that hinted at the Doctor doing the same thing.

• Options
    Also people will be pissed off whatever happens.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Bogart wrote: »

Hints? I don't think they've hinted the next Doctor is going to be a woman. They talked about the Master being Missy now, but not in any way that hinted at the Doctor doing the same thing.

Last year they had The General (or whatever her name was) being glad to be back to female from male, plus Missy. This very episode they had a very lampshaded discussion about how Timelords don't really give a shit about genders, there's enough dots to make a line, even if it's a short one.
    Also people will be pissed off whatever happens.

The one eternal certainty of Doctor Who holds constant.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Who are the regeneration contenders?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Could be hints towards the next regeneration, could be just opening up that possibility, could just be swapping genders on the general because it was a fun twist. Missy is three seasons ago, and I think it's a massive stretch to say they knew who the next Doctor was when they had just cast Capaldi.

I think reading something as a hint like that is asking to be disappointed.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh I don't think it was deliberate foreshadowing for a made decision, but groundwork was definitely being laid to open the possibility and tbh now's the time, take advantage of the management change

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    So..
    Spoilering this since talkinga bout Cybermen might be spoilery with the last episode? better safe than be yelled at by angry mods

How many different types of Cybermen are there? Cause it seems like anyone toying with any kind of cybernetics eventually develops into a full blown new species of cybermen.
    Broadly speaking, there are two: the original Mondasians and their descendants (entire classic series, series 5 onwards), and the Cybus ones from parallel Earth (series 2 through to The Next Doctor).

If you want to get more specific, the expanded universe has some details about various tribes of the Mondasians and their descendants (Cyber Nomads, Neomorphs and so on - note that you'll probably never want to get this deep).

• Options
    I want to see Stanley Tucci or Idris Elba as the next Doctor.

Steven fry would also be an amusing gallivant.

• Options
    What actress would be a good match for Gomez?

• Options
    Gomez has said
    she's leaving as well.

Tucci and Elba are no more likely than the ghost of Humphrey Bogart.

• Options
    We really did not get enough Gomez.

• Options
    It will be funny seeing a woman in men's clothes for a while if they go that route.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Lets be realistic and rule out people who are currently making Hollywood blockbuster movies as the next lead on a pokey BBC family sci-fi adventure show.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    Lets be realistic and rule out people who are currently making Hollywood blockbuster movies as the next lead on a pokey BBC family sci-fi adventure show.

I said I want, I didnt say it was likely.

• Options

On that front, one of the names I saw floated a while back was
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge, of Fleabag fame. Which sounded fairly plausible She's currently shooting that Han Solo film so...shrug?

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    That woman that played Big Suze on Peep Show would be good.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    It will be funny seeing a woman in men's clothes for a while if they go that route.

I can't imagine it would be, almost all traditionally male clothing has been unisexed by the passage of time and fashion and is regularly worn by women at this point.
    It will likely just look like a particularly dapper woman.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Billie Piper for Next Doctor, just so that I can bask in the delicious rage of the Rose-haters.

It would also be completely hilarious and awesome if Gomez and Capaldi pulled a fake-out and announced they were leaving their roles before The Master and The Doctor proceeded to regenerate into one another for each's next incarnation, thus explaining The Valeyard.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Yeah. The Valeyard is canon in the new series. The Great Intelligence mentioned him.

• Options
    Still cracks me up how little build up The Great Intelligence had.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    But I want to imagine that the BBC loves me enough to spend a million dollars per episode on the Doctor's salary :(

• Options
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Fran from Black Books as The Doctor?
    I'll allow it.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Still cracks me up how little build up The Great Intelligence had.

I like that we got an origin and a death for it in one season and all its other appearances were places Clara didnt need to show up for

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    So..

Broadly speaking, there are two: the original Mondasians and their descendants (entire classic series, series 5 onwards), and the Cybus ones from parallel Earth (series 2 through to The Next Doctor).

If you want to get more specific, the expanded universe has some details about various tribes of the Mondasians and their descendants (Cyber Nomads, Neomorphs and so on - note that you'll probably never want to get this deep).
    Neil Gaiman has also mentioned outside of the show that the Cybus Cybermen being scattered through time and space after breaching our reality had now met up with Mondasians and cross-bred to produce the superfast Cybermen from Nightmare in Silver.
    On redesigning the Cybermen, Gaiman thought back to classic series serials The Moonbase and The Tomb of the Cybermen (1967) and decided to "take the 1960s Cybermen and [incorporate] everything that's happened since".[3] However, Gaiman said that he "got completely side-tracked by a mad, strange romp".[4] Moffat stated that the Cybermen were redesigned because they did so often in the classic series, and yet had been consistent in the new series.[5] The previous design of the Cybermen also appear in this episode, but are not the primary threats.[6] Gaiman was motivated to provide a "rationalisation" for the Cybermen in current Doctor Who continuity. The classic series had depicted the Cybermen as alien cyborgs, while the revived series depicted them as human cyborgs from a parallel Earth; Gaiman opined that his Cybermen stemmed from an encounter and amalgamation of these two types of Cybermen following "The Next Doctor".[7]

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Who are the regeneration contenders?

444444444444444444444444444444444441.jpg

yonderland.jpg

character_themuppets_gonzo_9c3596c6.jpeg?region=0,0,300,300

• Options
    Billie Piper for Next Doctor, just so that I can bask in the delicious rage of the Rose-haters.

It would also be completely hilarious and awesome if Gomez and Capaldi pulled a fake-out and announced they were leaving their roles before The Master and The Doctor proceeded to regenerate into one another for each's next incarnation, thus explaining The Valeyard.

Karen Gillan takes over after here. The Doctor finally becomes a ginger, and can't stop flirting with his past.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Until the showrunners & execs stop being white British dudes, I think a female Doctor is very unlikely.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but only if it's because they're a good for the part, not because they "need to have a woman."

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Until the showrunners & execs stop being white British dudes, I think a female Doctor is very unlikely.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but only if it's because they're a good for the part, not because they "need to have a woman."
    They've been hammering that regenerations can change gender since at least as far back as halfway through Smith's run (mentioning the Corsair sometimes being a man/woman), and they've kept building on that whenever they could, helping to establish it as just being normal rather than surprising.
    I think Missy was the last test balloon on that, and if people had really hated the idea of a female Master, they'd have backed off.
    But now I'd be more surprised if the next Doctor wasn't a woman.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    klemming wrote: »
    I think Missy was the last test balloon on that, and if people had really hated the idea of a female Master, they'd have backed off.

If they need to have a 'test balloon' about making the title character a woman, there's something wrong with either the show or the audience they're trying to reach; or likely both.

They made freaking Sherlock Holmes a woman and that's apparently going fine.

Like, I get it. It's been going for 50 years so change is scary. But they built in a narrative reason from the get-go on why the Doctor is a new person. It would be a lot more understandable if it's been Hartnell for the entire time.

And as always, please don't take this as an attack on you, I'm just not buying it in 2017.

MichaelLC on
  • Options

If they need to have a 'test balloon' about making the title character a woman, there's something wrong with either the show or the audience they're trying to reach; or likely both.

Welcome to reality, I guess. People don't like change. Who knew?

• Options

Welcome to reality, I guess. People don't like change. Who knew?

Pretty much, James Bond is going through the same thing to a lesser degree.

This discussion has been closed.