As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    I feel like the last episode was an attempt to replicate the villains that Steven Moffat had success with during Russel T. Davies' tenure.

i.e. Vashta Nerada or the Weeping Angels.

Taking something from real life and just adding a subtle layer of fantasy/sci-fi to make it menacing. In this case it doesn't work, because it's just too heavy handed and muddled.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Been checking out the Lego Dimensions Doctor Who stuff. The level of fanservice they smushed in there is astounding. Not only does the Doctor regenerate when killed, each version gets their appropriate TARDIS interior and theme music (even Eight has his one off big Gothic desktop from the movie!) but each Doctor also has unique animations. Like Two has Troughton's silly walking. They have their own idle animations too;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STbfpf9ttTM

Eleven's is particularly adorable.
    He does that lame drunk giraffe dance!

Oh gosh they did Two absolutely perfectly. And they even have Eight doing his little 'these shoes fit perfectly!' thing.

This is probably going to be the video that I watch whenever I feel a little down.

I feel like the last episode was an attempt to replicate the villains that Steven Moffat had success with during Russel T. Davies' tenure.

Taking something from real life and just adding a subtle layer of fantasy/sci-fi to make it menacing. In this case it doesn't work, because it's just too heavy handed and muddled.

Yeah, it felt very much like Gatiss was trying to do this series' Listen. The Doctor's initial explanation for the Sandmen kind of came out of nowhere. A lot of it felt to me like artificially ramping up of the stakes rather than it slowly building up naturally over the course of the story.

I was also mighty disappointed that the Doctor didn't look at Rassmussen and go 'You look oddly familiar.'

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Also, The Doctor is wrong about one thing.

My friends and I constantly add "space" to nouns when playing sci-fi games.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

That's pretty much how I felt, but that's part of the game. For every Blink or Midnight, you have to sit through some meh clunkers.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I just constantly add "land" to nouns when referring to non sci-fi things. It's more precise.
    "Sea Pirates! You know, like Space Pirates. But on water!"

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I just constantly add "land" to nouns when referring to non sci-fi things. It's more precise.
    "Sea Pirates! You know, like Space Pirates. But on water!"
    Landsharks!

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Yes, exactly. Dr Who does this a lot and to the writing teams credit it mostly works... this one though?

For me it's a swing and a miss.

The whole thing came across as kinda dumb and unlike the last episode there wasn't really any good dialogue to save it.

Casual on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular

I think the Doctor was saying that people in space don't actually do that.

• Options
    But that's how you write sci-fi!
    Take a normal sentence, add 'space' to the nouns, and "I'm just taking the car to the supermarket." becomes I'm taking the space-car to the space-market."
    Instant sci-fi.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Space Moon Pies... What an age to live in...

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Take a normal sentence, add 'space' to the nouns, and "I'm just taking the car to the supermarket." becomes I'm taking the space-car to the space-market."
    Instant sci-fi.

space-supermarket. It's not just a regular Space-market.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hyperspace-market.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Hyperspace-market.

Wouldnt that be a Space-hyperspace-market ?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    With lots of space-customer space-parking spaces.

klemming on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Instant sci-fi.

I imagine The Doctor isn't a huge fan of sci-fi!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hmmmm.
    I'm not sure having a long time companion leave the show over what feels like the small print of a death sentence made for a particularly effective goodbye. It was well acted and everything, but hmmm.

Not sure that worked, to be honest.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    The nitpicker in me wonders why she couldn't have just given the tattoo back to Rigsy, then Me could have taken it off.
    And the me with a since of time thinks that was the longest 3 minutes ever.
    edit: unless it was an 8, in which case that might be right.

klemming on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Is that Clara's finale? Cause I know Jenna Louise was leaving, but I never know if a character is actually dead or not.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The implementation felt ok, even if I was expecting a "jump in this convieniently located stasis pod". The setup felt...weird. I can see Clara doing it, but at the same time it feels a bit pointless offering to die for a character I can't remember having been in the series before.

I really like seeing angry doctor though. Also glad to see he wasn't wearing a hoodie.

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    The implementation felt ok, even if I was expecting a "jump in this convieniently located stasis pod". The setup felt...weird. I can see Clara doing it, but at the same time it feels a bit pointless offering to die for a character I can't remember having been in the series before.

I really like seeing angry doctor though. Also glad to see he wasn't wearing a hoodie.
    Rigsy was in Flatline last series.
    Character deaths always bother me slightly because they're generally written the same way as the typical problem of the week that the Doctor can avert at the last minute; we're too used to those by now, so as soon as it looks hopeless, we all start looking for the loopholes that usually get used.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I think this is the first time a companion has actually been KIA in the new run? Everyone else either left or got trapped in a pocket dimension/time lock. I agree that if it was anything but the actress leaving there would have been a neat get out of jail free, I've been thinking ever since I heard she was leaving that Clara should have just got hit by a stray laser beam or something else totally mundane that The Doctor can't really do anything about or blame anyone for. I did like the idea of the hidden street though, it makes sense that something along those lines should be knocking around if even Torchwood could get their hands on a perception filter.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    some angry eyebrows in this ep huh
    "you will save Clara, and you will do it now, or I will rain hell on you for the rest of time."

oof. Angry Capaldi might be my favourite.

Agreed that the actual death felt kinda limp, but apparently this is just the first part of a three part finale? Neat. There'll probably be more closure in the last couple episodes.

Still kinda annoyed that Sleep No More broke the 2-parter streak.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Still kinda annoyed that Sleep No More broke the 2-parter streak.

Then again, more of that story would have been unbearable ;)

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    One of my favorite episodes in ages. They've been pushing the "Clara is arrogant and thinks she's equally as clever as the Doctor and it makes her untouchable" angle for awhile, in subtle ways, and they paid it off logically. If you're going to have life-and-death stakes feel believable all the time, you need the occasional death of someone important. And finally, that was the first time I've really liked Capaldi tapping into the Doctor's dark side. He's tried before but it hasn't always landed for me, but this time it absolutely did.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    One of my favorite episodes in ages. They've been pushing the "Clara is arrogant and thinks she's equally as clever as the Doctor and it makes her untouchable" angle for awhile, in subtle ways, and they paid it off logically. If you're going to have life-and-death stakes feel believable all the time, you need the occasional death of someone important. And finally, that was the first time I've really liked Capaldi tapping into the Doctor's dark side. He's tried before but it hasn't always landed for me, but this time it absolutely did.

Agreed
    Truth be told they where overdue for a companion death, a real one that sticks. You can't kill the Doctor and everybody knows it, but the companion should be mortal. As it is, there has been so many close calls that having the Companion in danger has become a ineffective.

They set up that the companions love traveling with the Doctor, which makes writing them out hard. Its either a stuck in an alternate universe, Trapped in the past or that thing that happened to Donna. I think Martha is the only one that left on her own accord.

Either that or a bunch of one shot companions.

Having Clara actually die would reset the stakes.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options

To be fair, I really don't think she was offering to die for him. She thought she had figured out a way around it, and had absolutely no intention of dying. She only said the part about being willing to die for Riggsy to get him to go along with her clever plan.

• Options
    That was a cool episode.
    I was so sure they'd put her into the stasis chamber, but nope, it seems she's really dead. Got too big for her boots, paid a terrible price.
    I wonder why Ashildr/Mayor Me doesn't want the TARDIS anymore? Must have done some off-world travel of her own at this point, she has lots of alien tech.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    -wow-

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    All of time and space, huh?
    So pop her off to another dimension- problem solved! Barring that bring on the hell reigning. Nice change of pace.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Clara:
    We have seen Claras played by Jenna Coleman die at least three times that I can recall. I'm sure that writers could bring her back at a future date under the same circumstances.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Clara:
    She did conveniently head outside into the magic lamplight that 'alters your perceptions to your expected experiences' or however they put it. I could see that being used as a get out yet. Especially if this is a three parter.

Episode in general:
    I liked it. Though the niggling massive plot jumps that seem to dog recent episodes were there. The Doctor never believed in hidden streets of London, until now for no apparent reason he suddenly jumped on that bring the only way Rigsy could have met aliens on London's streets. Other than y'know all the many, many times aliens appear on Earth everywhere the Doctor goes.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

So much this. I really liked this episode. It's possibly the first A+ standard they've had in this season. Carpaldi just nailed it, I had the fucking chills.
    "You'll find that it's a very small universe when I'm angry with you" Is just the coolest threat I have ever heard, and when it comes just after hearing a dying woman spend her last breath pleading with the Doctor to not lose his control because she knows just what could happen if he did makes it so much more powerful.

I honestly hope her death sticks, I completely disagree that someone like Clara should have had a big fancy death. Having it happen in this way, especially as a result of her own hubris, gives the show tension again.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

So much this. I really liked this episode. It's possibly the first A+ standard they've had in this season. Carpaldi just nailed it, I had the fucking chills.
    "You'll find that it's a very small universe when I'm angry with you" Is just the coolest threat I have ever heard, and when it comes just after hearing a dying woman spend her last breath pleading with the Doctor to not lose his control because she knows just what could happen if he did makes it so much more powerful.

I honestly hope her death sticks, I completely disagree that someone like Clara should have had a big fancy death. Having it happen in this way, especially as a result of her own hubris, gives the show tension again.
    The strongly positive reaction to Clara actually dying like that makes me wonder if Moffat is running about the BBC shouting "Get a filming unit ready! Call Peter! We have one week to re-record the last episode, make it happen damnit!"

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

The strongly positive reaction to Clara actually dying like that makes me wonder if Moffat is running about the BBC shouting "Get a filming unit ready! Call Peter! We have one week to re-record the last episode, make it happen damnit!"

I just think it would be so fitting to have Clara, possibly the biggest Mary Sue of all the recent companions die on what is essentially a milk run in Doctor Who terms because she thought she was smarter than she is. You get to have the Doctor be guilt ridden that once again he took a person, changed them dramatically by his mere presence and watched them kill themselves because they were trying to emulate him. Remorse ridden on the edge Doctor is the best Doctor.

More than that what the hell is the point in casting Peter Carpaldi as the Doctor if we're not going to let "Bad Doctor" out for a joyride during his tenure?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I have this theory that the show costume department has been running Capaldi through the Doctors. First season he's in a serious black and white outfit reminicient of the first Doctor. More formal but also more modern.

Most of this season he's been wearing a modern take on the Space Hobo of the second Doctor, complete with plaid pants. A t-shirt under hoodie under coat replacing the bag suit of Troughton. Both of which are a bit steryotypical of hobo-like clothes for various times.

Now he's got a velvet smoking jacket that just screams Pertwee.

I have no actual proof of this mind. Just a gut feeling.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I liked this episode, but
    The "ramp up" in terms of stakes seemed a bit too sudden with the Doctor giving up too easily, but I guess that is part of Clara talking him out of it. Still, it seemed such a short run-up to "companion dieing" level of threat.

Though I think it is time for a new companion (while she's had some good episodes/plot lines) and I feel Clara especially post-impossible girl reveal has been weak overall as a companion. I'm not ruling out the distortion field thingy with the lampworms as a possible out to bring back Clara. Though if they go that route, I imagine they'll be like now Clara realizes she has to stop travelling around with the Doctor and (finally?) come to terms to living life without Danny and not just keep running away from it.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Continuing to love this season.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I hope the death sticks. And I hope that we get, not necessarily the Valeyard because you know, that discussion has been done to death. But a proper righteous fury Time Lord unchained, ignoring the rules of Time and Space.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I hope the death sticks. And I hope that we get, not necessarily the Valeyard because you know, that discussion has been done to death. But a proper righteous fury Time Lord unchained, ignoring the rules of Time and Space.
    We've had that a couple of times already, though, and it always ends with him getting smacked back down, hard.
    Ten had his 'Time Lord Victorious' moment, which was quickly cut off by a gunshot.
    And Eleven had the whole Demons Run thing.
    But Clara had a good point; even if he did lose it and start taking actual revenge, he'd stop as soon as he realised he was hurting children.

I'm guessing Ashildr's going to die/sacrifice herself by the end of the season, or maybe in the Christmas ep.

This discussion has been closed.