As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is pretty odd. The actors that came in after him seemed to have no problems.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Xeddicus wrote: »
    I wish people could just speak plainly about stuff like that. Maybe once he's retired. What were they doing to piss him off? Presumably he was getting paid. Were they screwing over other people? The call times were awful? They made him wash Davies' car?

Maybe the principal was wanting more money? What was it?!?!?!

This is done to not burn bridges. Professionalism can be a bitch.

Yeah, much as I want to know what the deal was, Eccleston would probably never see work again if he aired his grievances publicly.

Imagine if you were able to make public statements to a TV camera after every job you've left, and imagine what it would do for your hire-ability. Saying you didn't see eye-to-eye is about as scathing as it gets.

But still, I'd still really like to hear about this when Eccleston decides to write a book about it or something.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Krathoon wrote: »

Some personalities clash, some don't. Maybe things were different on the show when he was doing it.

It doesn't seem particularly odd.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Then again it's difficult to tell whether things actually changed behind the scenes or they're doing a Harrison Ford and not talking about it to the press.

• Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    The Daily Mail's take is predictably awful:

I suspect it might be something to do with the surfeit of targets.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

I imagine the show had some teething issues. It was an expensive show based on something that had become a cheesy laughing stock 20 years before. It was in a genre that the BBC isn't particularly expert in. They were still figuring things out. If tempers frayed, who could be surprised?

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Some personalities clash, some don't. Maybe things were different on the show when he was doing it.

It doesn't seem particularly odd.

The interesting thing for me is that Eccleston and Davies had worked together before on The Second Coming, and Eccleston apparently contacted Davies himself to say he was interested in the part - so presumably any issues weren't between actor and showrunner, but about something else. Though it is apparently a very punishing filming schedule, so maybe that was also part of it.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I am well aware of why he didn't say anything.

It just shouldn't be that way in the perfect world.

• Options

Patience. If you listen to the interviews with old actors in Classic Who on the Classic Who DVDs it's hilarious how candid they all are. It's because they all retired from acting 20 years ago and can say any damn thing they like. We'll find out the truth one day, but actors need to be discreet if they want work.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I wish people could just speak plainly about stuff like that. Maybe once he's retired. What were they doing to piss him off? Presumably he was getting paid. Were they screwing over other people? The call times were awful? They made him wash Davies' car?

Maybe the principal was wanting more money? What was it?!?!?!

He thought he would be working with Davies more and the schedule was very grueling. Thats also why they developed the doctor light episodes in future seasons

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

Patience. If you listen to the interviews with old actors in Classic Who on the Classic Who DVDs it's hilarious how candid they all are. It's because they all retired from acting 20 years ago and can say any damn thing they like. We'll find out the truth one day, but actors need to be discreet if they want work.

Some of the commentaries with old Doctors are pretty funny.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I went on a date tonight with a woman who has a crush on The Doctor; like all previous incarnations of NewWho. She is fairly upset about the news, because it means that she can't have a crush on The Doctor anymore. I was a little baffled by this; I didn't start being attracted to The Doctor after I found out that he would be regenerating into a beautiful woman. Plumbing aside, The Doctor is old as shit and nobody is a romantic equal. Ruins any fantasy for me. If The Doctor is your thing across multiple incarnations, I don't see how that wouldn't make a straight woman or gay man question her/his sexuality even a little bit.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I went on a date tonight with a woman who has a crush on The Doctor; like all previous incarnations of NewWho. She is fairly upset about the news, because it means that she can't have a crush on The Doctor anymore. I was a little baffled by this; I didn't start being attracted to The Doctor after I found out that he would be regenerating into a beautiful woman. Plumbing aside, The Doctor is old as shit and nobody is a romantic equal. Ruins any fantasy for me. If The Doctor is your thing across multiple incarnations, I don't see how that wouldn't make a straight woman or gay man question her/his sexuality even a little bit.

seems obvious to me that if you're a straight woman, you would pretty well immediately not have a crush on a character who was also a woman, even if previous iterations were not.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

seems obvious to me that if you're a straight woman, you would pretty well immediately not have a crush on a character who was also a woman, even if previous iterations were not.

It seems obvious, sure, but, like, I like women, and if a woman that I was dating suddenly became male through no intentional action of her own, I would have a hard time justifying breaking it off. I guess I put a lot of stock in who a person is on the inside.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

It seems obvious, sure, but, like, I like women, and if a woman that I was dating suddenly became male through no intentional action of her own, I would have a hard time justifying breaking it off. I guess I put a lot of stock in who a person is on the inside.

idk. I would not continue a romantic relationship with someone who changed genders even if I still loved them. It'd have to be "best friends" because I am simply not physically into dudes at all.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    For me it's actually the other way around: I find the individual Doctors different enough that I can't really conceive of anyone who automatically has a crush on all of them, provided they have the right dangly bits.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    I think I would still love someone and be with them if they only changed on a physical level. If they changed on a mental level also I would still love them but I'm not sure I could still be with them. The Doctors personalities vary greatly to the point they aren't really the same person mentally.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I think I would still love someone and be with them if they only changed on a physical level. If they changed on a mental level also I would still love them but I'm not sure I could still be with them. The Doctors personalities vary greatly to the point they aren't really the same person mentally.

Yeah, I mean being straight they obviously wouldn't be crushing on this variation of the Doctor, but this wouldn't be new for Who fandom. Not everyone likes every Doctor the same way, and the Doctor being a dashing young hero was a recent invention - and I assume many fans didn't continue this when they got Twelve. However, this is an opportunity for them to crush on whatever handsome male companion/s will be with Thirteen, and until the Doctor regenerates into another dashing male hero.

edit: I get this to a degree with Romana. I had a crush on Mary Tamm's, while Lalla Ward's did nothing for me - and I'm still a fan of the character.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

I did.

But to be fair I already had a crush on Whittaker from Broadchurch and Black Mirror. She's always been super cute. The Doctor look she's sporting, though, made me do the male version of swooning.

I think it's maybe still just called "swooning", I dunno.

• Options
    I think her outfit hasn't been decided on yet, though I could be wrong. The utilitarian hoody thingy she's wearing is fine, but I always like it when the Doctor really goes for it, clothes wise.

• Options
    Not 'goes for it' like Six went for it, where 'it' was the dressing up box at a local theatre company's pantomime production, but goes for it like 5's beige cricket ensemble, or 12 going for the mystery and ending up at magician.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Didn't she get over this with the last Doctor? Because I love Peter, don't get me wrong, he's an absolute sweetheart, but he's not exactly crush material.

• Options
    Not 'goes for it' like Six went for it, where 'it' was the dressing up box at a local theatre company's pantomime production, but goes for it like 5's beige cricket ensemble, or 12 going for the mystery and ending up at magician.

zatanna-batman-the-animated-series-7.3.jpg

• Options
    I'm not into men and therefore everyone's mileage is likely to vary, but if I was, I'd find Capaldi vastly more crushworthy than Matt Smith. Those eyebrows, that accent...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'm not into men and therefore everyone's mileage is likely to vary, but if I was, I'd find Capaldi vastly more crushworthy than Matt Smith. Those eyebrows, that accent...

Well everyone's taste varies of course but speaking as someone who is into men I had a hell of a crush on Matt Smith which did not carry over to Peter. Even with his accent.

• Options
    Nah, I found Matt Smith's Doctor to be too much of a manchild half the time to warm to him. At times that enthusiasm was endearing, but it never was attractive to me.

Anyway, on a different note: we finally got started on S10 this week, and I greatly enjoyed "The Pilot". I love how Capaldi's Doctor has developed and how you can very much see how he's changed due to the events of S9. Also, I haven't liked any of the other companions' introductions as much as Bill's. From her first scene, she's there as a character that feels real.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options

Didn't she get over this with the last Doctor? Because I love Peter, don't get me wrong, he's an absolute sweetheart, but he's not exactly crush material.

Actually she followed Capaldi from his last show, where she loved to hate him (a villain, apparently) and didn't expect to crush on him as The Doctor. But she still did, which lead me to the determination that she was just into The Doctor in any form.

Amusingly, she admits to not being able to tell the differencd between David Tennant and Matt Smith at first, which just adds fuel to my theory.

• Options
    If she couldn't tell the difference between Tennant and Smith, perhaps she wouldn't have noticed that Whittaker was a woman unless told.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    If she couldn't tell the difference between Tennant and Smith, perhaps she wouldn't have noticed that Whittaker was a woman unless told.

Interesting theory, but she's not blind or deaf; her initial exposure to the show was just passing glances, an episode here or there while making supper or painting. She just mistook one thin eccentric well-dressed Brit guy with a sonic screwdriver for another.

• Options

Interesting theory, but she's not blind or deaf; her initial exposure to the show was just passing glances, an episode here or there while making supper or painting. She just mistook one thin eccentric well-dressed Brit guy with a sonic screwdriver for another.

Oh.

I was hoping someone would make a witty "Love is blind" remark instead.

But here I am, ruining it for everyone.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think her outfit hasn't been decided on yet, though I could be wrong. The utilitarian hoody thingy she's wearing is fine, but I always like it when the Doctor really goes for it, clothes wise.

Yeah, Whittaker said so in this interview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/633b5583-f0b1-4917-baf5-eb02ca44552a
    11. What are you going to wear?
    I don’t know yet.

12. Is that your costume in the filmed sequence which introduced you as the new Doctor?
    No.

• Options
    It'll be fun seeing Julia Whittaker in the 12th Doctors outfit after the regeneration. Even more fun if the 14th Doctor is a bloke and ends up wearing a dress after regeneration!

• Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/633b5583-f0b1-4917-baf5-eb02ca44552a
    I don’t know yet.

12. Is that your costume in the filmed sequence which introduced you as the new Doctor?
    No.

I remember people freaking out about Matt Smith's outfit too, when they first announced him and he was in a t-shirt/blazer combo which we assumed would be his costume. But it was not. I guess they decide on the actual outfit pretty close to filming. It does make me wonder though, do the actors get any say in it, or do they just get told what they're going to wear?

Kester on
  • Options
    It'll be fun seeing Julia Whittaker in the 12th Doctors outfit after the regeneration. Even more fun if the 14th Doctor is a bloke and ends up wearing a dress after regeneration!

Now I'd like to see her wear all the Doctor's outfits for a lark. She may be able to make Sixth's outfit not look like a dumpster fire.

• Options
    Kester wrote: »

I don’t know yet.

No.

I remember people freaking out about Matt Smith's outfit too, when they first announced him and he was in a t-shirt/blazer combo which we assumed would be his costume. But it was not. I guess they decide on the actual outfit pretty close to filming. It does make me wonder though, do the actors get any say in it, or do they just get told what they're going to wear?

IIRC they do, Moffatt originally wanted Matt Smith to wear a pirate costume and Smith shot it down.

• Options

I don’t know yet.

No.

IIRC they do, Moffatt originally wanted Matt Smith to wear a pirate costume and Smith shot it down.

I hope that was a prank.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I thought she was still wearing Twelve's hoodie outfit, and that's why it looked so big on her.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular

Now I'd like to see her wear all the Doctor's outfits for a lark. She may be able to make Sixth's outfit not look like a dumpster fire.

I'm not sure if there's anyone alive who could manage that.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I don’t know yet.

No.

One thing I saw had Matt Smith saying he was just told to come in wearing 'whatever he thought the Doctor would wear'. I think the braces and bowtie were his idea.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

I don’t know yet.

No.

Really depends as far as I know, it's not new Who, but Paul McGann wanted to wear a shirt and leather jacker (and had a buzzcut, so basically what Eccleston later would wear), but producers gave him the wig and the costume he would wear as 8, despite his protest.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
This discussion has been closed.