As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    John Barrowman decided to use SDCC to loudly and proudly voice his support for Jodie Whittaker stepping into The Doctor's shoes.

He decided to do this by wearing a TARDIS dress to his panel.

50% odds that he was planning to do that anyway before she was announced.

Apparently he wore a different TARDIS dress last May so you're probably not wrong.

Also it can't be seen in those photos but reports from those present say the dress was glittery.

John Barrowman probably just has a closet full of sexy TARDIS dresses.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    And if he doesn't, he will now.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The talk about representation is really spot on.

The thing that sold me on how important it was is when I (a white male) took my newphew (who is black) to see Civil War. After the film I asked him what the best bit was and he (at 6 years old) turned to me and said "black panther". When I asked why he just said

"Because he's like me"

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    The talk about representation is really spot on.

The thing that sold me on how important it was is when I (a white male) took my newphew (who is black) to see Civil War. After the film I asked him what the best bit was and he (at 6 years old) turned to me and said "black panther". When I asked why he just said

"Because he's like me"

He'll like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWvtMOGAhw

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    YEAH!
    BILL!!!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The thread title can just be [Doctor Who]. That's almost as bad as Nurse Who.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    The thread title can just be [Doctor Who]. That's almost as bad as Nurse Who.
    is yolk, friend

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Trailer for the Christmas episode.

Damn, this trailer looks FANTASTIC

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God damn that makes the wait even harder.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    From that trailer,
    When Gattis says the police box line, wooo original Tardis interior!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    YEAH!
    BILL!!!

I'd moan about this being spoiled but once again, literally front page news. Thanks guardian!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Do British people just have a different view on spoilers than Americans?

(That's a mostly serious question.)

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They could have so much dumb spoiler fun with the Doctors in the Xmas special
    "just had another run in with that Master prick" "...the Master is my best friend though?"

or Twelve solemnly explains he doesn't want to regenerate again, to which One says he understands, after all this will be his final life. And Capaldi just blank stares, not understanding, before "...oh the regeneration limit? NAH I fixed that ages ago!"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I could see some pretty neat things being done with,
    The First Doctor being scared and not wanting to regenerate because he's never done it before and doesn't want to change, which would match up with Twelve's not wanting to change.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    "just had another run in with that Master prick" "...the Master is my best friend though?"

or Twelve solemnly explains he doesn't want to regenerate again, to which One says he understands, after all this will be his final life. And Capaldi just blank stares, not understanding, before "...oh the regeneration limit? NAH I fixed that ages ago!"
    Drinking game time
    Take a shot each time Twelve (or One for that matter) says "Spoilers!"

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    see317 wrote: »

Drinking game time
    Take a shot each time Twelve (or One for that matter) says "Spoilers!"

I don't feel like that's a Twelve thing. Eleven very much, Ten a bit. I don't think Twelve gives a shit and One wouldn't know to.

Does the Master appear in the first Doctor's run? I wonder if he'd have picked the name 'The Master' by then. It feels like a sufficiently monomaniacal affectation he'd save it until the first time he tried to pull off some massively evil plan and say, "What? No! I'm The Master now!"

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Really, Twelve could just fire off a long list of things to horrify One about his future regenerations.
    "Jelly baby? Oh right, you don't like them, do you? Don't worry, that'll change."

Or just mention the body count he's going to be responsible for (it must be best expressed with scientific notation by now).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Christmas trailer:
    Bill appearing would have been a lovely surprise, but I guess it's not really up to us to decide what they want use as publicity and what to keep back. Of course the nature of her role in it is wide open to a vast array of things that aren't 'she's back and it's all fine now,' in flashbacks, time travel, etc. Her apparent ending previously had seemed pretty final.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Not in any way that could be generalised, I don't think... but there is a strong anti-BBC bent to many of the UK's tabloid newspapers, which can manifest itself in revealing the secrets of the broadcaster's shows as a way to get one over on the (supposed) lefty, liberal, taxpayer-funded organ of the state.

So now the BBC just releases information ahead of time itself, because it's going to happen anyway so why not be the ones to benefit?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »

Not in any way that could be generalised, I don't think... but there is a strong anti-BBC bent to many of the UK's tabloid newspapers, which can manifest itself in revealing the secrets of the broadcaster's shows as a way to get one over on the (supposed) lefty, liberal, taxpayer-funded organ of the state.

So now the BBC just releases information ahead of time itself, because it's going to happen anyway so why not be the ones to benefit?

That's the infamous Rupert Murdock's influence, he'd loathe Doctor Who on general principal. But yeah, what they did to her is totally in-character for being shit weasels.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    John Barrowman decided to use SDCC to loudly and proudly voice his support for Jodie Whittaker stepping into The Doctor's shoes.

Always the flamboyant one.

So I'm curious. Is he really gay? I remember the 50th anniversery after special that starred Peter Davidson and some of the other doctors had a tongue in cheek joke about them running into Jack barrowman with his wife and kids then saying to each other 'I had no idea....'.

Don't care about it from a sexuality point of view, I'm just curious if its just an act or not.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

So I'm curious. Is he really gay? I remember the 50th anniversery after special that starred Peter Davidson and some of the other doctors had a tongue in cheek joke about them running into Jack barrowman with his wife and kids then saying to each other 'I had no idea....'.

Don't care about it from a sexuality point of view, I'm just curious if its just an act or not.

John Barrowman is married to a dude, and has been openly gay since forever.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I think the problem is that the BBC has a lot of government fingers controlling it outside the private part of it...thus leaks are going to happen (Probably have no way to control it via contracts and such since they are an outside entity). Keeping it a complete secret is probably 99% impossible so they don't even bother all that much.

It's not just England anyway, happens all the time here too. If you look for spoilers about something you will likely find them. Only deterance is to actively avoid all talk about something your interested in.

Remember the Harry Potter fiasco? You had assholes in america holding signs with the major spoiler on it outside the bookstores within minutes of the doors opening while people were still lining up to get the book.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    To quote Simon Amstel: "You outgayed me, Barrowman."

He's actually gay and open about it. He and his husband have been married for years now.
    The joke in Fiveish doctors was just a joke.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Oh god Fiveish Doctors was so amazing

• Options
    I was fully expecting Fiveish Doctors to be the best part of the anniversary, but then Day of the Doctor was just so frickin' good.

• Options

John Barrowman is married to a dude, and has been openly gay since forever.

Vaguely on-topic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOeugFS3K8

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

He's actually gay and open about it. He and his husband have been married for years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooODVEDFOMk

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

A joke because Barrowman is about as gay and out as you could possibly get.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The big question about John Barrowman isn't whether he's gay or not.

It's whether or not he has a scottish accent.
    Apparently he'll slip into one when he's with family.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

He's bi-accentual.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

He's bi-accentual.

There's actually a word for that, but it slips my mind right now. Gillian Anderson has it, she slips into a British or American accent depending on where she is and it's completely involuntary.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

He's bi-accentual.

There's actually a word for that, but it slips my mind right now. Gillian Anderson has it, she slips into a British or American accent depending on where she is and it's completely involuntary.

Code-switching? Or is that just for when you switch your style of speech?

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    I've lived in the South since Uni days (89ish) but still slip into a broad Lancashire 'Ekky thump/On Ilkley moor baht tat' accent within a day of visiting family. I can easily believe it's far more pronounced with national accents rather than just regional.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The fact that you think Ilkley is in Lancashire makes me suspect the South has affected more than your accent :P

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    I lived on the sensible side of the Pennines about 5 miles from the border. Even had a Yorkshire school friend, how progressive was that??

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

He's bi-accentual.

Here it is, bidialectical. Wiki:
    Anderson is bidialectal. With her English accent and background, she was mocked and felt out of place in the American Midwest and soon adopted a Midwestern accent. To this day, her accent depends on her location, as she easily shifts between her American and English accents. In May 2013, during an interview with BlogTalkRadio, Anderson addressed the matter of her national identity: "I've been asked whether I feel more like a Brit than an American and I don't know what the answer to that question is. I know that I feel that London is home and I'm very happy with that as my home. I love London as a city and I feel very comfortable there. In terms of identity, I'm still a bit baffled."

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

He's bi-accentual.

For the record, code-switching is actually used for both: switching between discrete languages and switching between varieties.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

I think the problem is that the BBC has a lot of government fingers controlling it outside the private part of it...thus leaks are going to happen (Probably have no way to control it via contracts and such since they are an outside entity). Keeping it a complete secret is probably 99% impossible so they don't even bother all that much.

It's not just England anyway, happens all the time here too. If you look for spoilers about something you will likely find them. Only deterance is to actively avoid all talk about something your interested in.

Remember the Harry Potter fiasco? You had assholes in america holding signs with the major spoiler on it outside the bookstores within minutes of the doors opening while people were still lining up to get the book.

I remember one midnight opening in the UK, which had lots of kids dressed up as wizards. Unfortunately, it was a Friday or Saturday night, and a bunch of people were coming out of pubs and clubs rather "happy".

However I'm pleased to report that nearly all were absolutely lovely to the kids, letting them cast spells on them, saying their costumes looked awesome, chat to them about the books, etc....

One guy looked like he might start to make fun of how some of the kids were dressed up, but others told him to behave, which he did while appologising.

It was an incredibly surreal thing to watch.

PSN Fleety2009
This discussion has been closed.