As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    S2:E1 of Young Justice is dumb.

I saw this episode before any other long ago and it convinced me that this show was terrible.

So glad I gave season 1 a chance and I hope the rest of S2 isn't like this.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    S2:E1 of Young Justice is dumb.

I saw this episode before any other long ago and it convinced me that this show was terrible.

So glad I gave season 1 a chance and I hope the rest of S2 isn't like this.

it's a big leap but hold on.
    but yes the team is older and the dynamics have changed.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's more so the whole "Gamma squad get the soft missions" and Blue Beatle that out me off.

Maybe I just don't like Lagoon Boy and Blue Beetle.

Probably just a weak episode...

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Green Lantern really wasn't given a chance. Would've loved a second season.

What got less of a chance, GL or Beware the Batman?

GL, it was actually good.

I couldn't stand the art style in BtB, and I kept getting bored during the actual episodes.

Yeah I watched both because I don't have a life but GL was far superior. It was really a good lantern adaptation. Beware the Batman was a good enough Batman among many far superior.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016

I couldn't stand the art style in BtB, and I kept getting bored during the actual episodes.

Yeah I watched both because I don't have a life but GL was far superior. It was really a good lantern adaptation. Beware the Batman was a good enough Batman among many far superior.

Coming right after brave and the bold didn't do it any favors either. Going from a really fun silver age romp, to a dark and gritty "DARKNESS. NO PARENTS."

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Coming right after brave and the bold didn't do it any favors either. Going from a really fun silver age romp, to a dark and gritty "DARKNESS. NO PARENTS."

Absolutely loved how BatB embraced the silver age. It was so much fun but so aware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yZ2AC4VOzs

here we go. they do this cheese and later he comes back to actually try to do a murder for being blinded. that's interesting stuff with the appropriate wink wink nudge to the things that were glossed over in the silver age.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Absolutely loved how BatB embraced the silver age. It was so much fun but so aware

here we go. they do this cheese and later he comes back to actually try to do a murder for being blinded. that's interesting stuff with the appropriate wink wink nudge to the things that were glossed over in the silver age.

NPH as the Music Meister is probably one of the best things to ever come from Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_q1SdaWLlw

Also their send off episode, with Bat Mite rebooting the universe into a darker and grittier one, after they had been canceled for BtB.

Morkath on
  • Options

NPH as the Music Meister is probably one of the best things to ever come from Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_q1SdaWLlw

Also their send off episode, with Bat Mite rebooting the universe into a darker and grittier one, after they had been canceled for BtB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AsomkWscrA

that reminds me. teen titans go! isn't a bad show for what it is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nope, you lost me, sorry. :P

I can't stand how much of that show is just them yelling to be "funny", and them running every joke into the ground during an episode.

They actually have that show running often enough that I stopped using CN as my default, "I'm not really paying attention, background noise" channel.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    TTG maybe has like a handful of legit good episodes.
    The one with Cyborg's favorite song is probably one of my favorite episodes ever, if only because of how rad their 80's punk design is.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Nope, you lost me, sorry. :P

I can't stand how much of that show is just them yelling to be "funny", and them running every joke into the ground during an episode.

They actually have that show running often enough that I stopped using CN as my default, "I'm not really paying attention, background noise" channel.

that is actually the joke being made.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I meant in general, not that specific episode.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Green Lantern was great, the changed Red Lantern Corps and Star Sapphires were improvements, and i loved the implication in the ending.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It's more so the whole "Gamma squad get the soft missions" and Blue Beatle that out me off.

You probably don't like Lagoon Boy cause he is just a straight-up dickface. And not in a way that's cheeky and fun.

It is, at least, intentional, so he's an asshole because he's supposed to be, not because the writers were trying to make him appealing to some demographic and just kept failing.

But I did spend the whole season hoping he'd get punched in the face a bunch.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Lagoon Boy is literally the worst. I didn't like how the main cast from season one sort of takes a back seat for most of the season in favor of introducing new cast every episode at the start. Character development suffers some because of it.

And if you don't like Blue Beetle...it might be a long season, but stick with it because it finishes strong.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I thought the second season of Young Justice was a massive step down personally, heresy as that is on the internet. The first season really came together at the end, but the second season seemed to totally fall apart. Week after week of every single episode ending with the Light steepling their fingers and going "All according to plan" got ridiculously exhausting, way too many characters introduced and then nothing done with them, ending on a big character THING for someone who had barely been a part of the season, and I detested the entire Miss Martian arc. It had real potential with
    the way she was casually mind raping everyone biting her in the ass in a bunch of ways, but then it just ended unceremoniously with hugs, smiles, friendshipness, and nobody really learned anything but to feel better about themselves.

There also wasn't a great central antagonist unifying things either. The Light was just off supposedly making increasingly bizarre and convoluted plots, leaving Black Beetle to mostly growl at things and be Evil Blue Beetle. Meanwhile, there were so many dangling plot threads that a huge portion of the last few episodes was spent having characters just stand around and try to explain them away.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I really need to give Green Lantern another try. From what I saw, the CG really limited them. I saw one of the early episodes, where they go into a gigantic, cavernous prison that had maybe two dudes in it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Green Lantern was really good. Ironically, going into it the two characters Razer and Aya I initially dismissed as 'token extreme-cool guy' and 'token lady', and they wound up being the best characters in the series.

This is one series that I really wished they'd continued as a comic.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Green Lantern was really good. Ironically, going into it the two characters Razer and Aya I initially dismissed as 'token extreme-cool guy' and 'token lady', and they wound up being the best characters in the series.

I was surprised by how solid it ended up being too, and yeah, they did really well with Razer and Aya.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I know that YJ Season 2 is not as strong as the first, but man do I love that Blue Beetle was such a big part of it.

They handled him really, really well. Specially they way they tied his origin to the previous ones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLVlJCNhtBY

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

How much of the Green Lantern series getting torpedoed do you think was caused by the Green Lantern movie?
    I had heard that the network was nervous because the Movie GL toys weren't moving on the shelves, and stores weren't ordering any toys for the series because of that.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    see317 wrote: »

How much of the Green Lantern series getting torpedoed do you think was caused by the Green Lantern movie?
    I had heard that the network was nervous because the Movie GL toys weren't moving on the shelves, and stores weren't ordering any toys for the series because of that.

The look and promotion of the show didn't help. It was billed as a Y7, and it looked like direct-to-video animation in promo stills. So, it took watching it to realize that it was a pretty decent DC show and the marketing lost that battle for much of the audience.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Dreamworks bought Comcast. I don't know what this means but I felt like it might be important.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Switch those around.

Comcast (NBC Universal bought Dreamworks but NBCU is owned by Kabletown) buying it is shoring up their own attempt to be Disney basically.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Switch those around.

Comcast (NBC Universal bought Dreamworks but NBCU is owned by Kabletown) buying it is shoring up their own attempt to be Disney basically.

Wait, Kabletown wasn't just a fake company from 30 Rock?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Dude, bro, I'm literally posting this response from my Sabre Pyramid while watching God Cop, what......what are you watching in your universe? Wait shut up first, how many seasons of Young Justice do you have over there?

Oh shit is Penny Arcade a wormhole for internet?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Yeah, I heard that the mark against the series was a lack of any figures whatsoever, because the movie had done so poorly. Very much a shame. Been a long time since I've been interested in the toy side of things, but apparently a toyline is a must for a series like GL, it makes or breaks a show.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Dude, bro, I'm literally posting this response from my Sabre Pyramid while watching God Cop, what......what are you watching in your universe? Wait shut up first, how many seasons of Young Justice do you have over there?

Oh shit is Penny Arcade a wormhole for internet?

I think God Cop's really been going downhill lately, to be honest.

But man, Who Nose. Strength to strength.

They just keep forgetting he has a sense of hearing!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It's petty, but my desire to see Universal films has been suppressed by seeing "A Comcast Company" beneath the logo. I don't normally have to deal with them, and I like to keep it that way. Dreamworks will probably go the same way in my estimation.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Yeah, I heard that the mark against the series was a lack of any figures whatsoever, because the movie had done so poorly. Very much a shame. Been a long time since I've been interested in the toy side of things, but apparently a toyline is a must for a series like GL, it makes or breaks a show.

I loathe how cartoons succeed or fail based on toy companies. The sooner this ends, the better.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Toyeticus Delenda Est

• Options
    Okay, so season 2 of YJ is getting better.

But man Miss M is now my least favorite character.

• Options
    I just wonder if the Dreamworks acquisition will FINALLY kill the Dreamworks method. (As in, design the characters and sets, start animating, and maybe THEN write the story.) I swear the logo is a signal for kid-pacifying mediocrity.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I just wonder if the Dreamworks acquisition will FINALLY kill the Dreamworks method. (As in, design the characters and sets, start animating, and maybe THEN write the story.) I swear the logo is a signal for kid-pacifying mediocrity.

And copious amounts of celebrity voiceovers, hit pop music singles and radical attitude.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Oh right, Danger Mouse is up on Netflix, and it's looking pretty good.

https://youtu.be/UgVdHC3ZKF4

And yes, a certain undead showman is back.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I forgot they gave Count Duckula an American accent back in the day. Kinda odd.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Okay, so season 2 of YJ is getting better.

But man Miss M is now my least favorite character.

Let's not say things we can't take back. I mean Lagoon Boy is right there...

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh right, Danger Mouse is up on Netflix, and it's looking pretty good.

https://youtu.be/UgVdHC3ZKF4

And yes, a certain undead showman is back.

OMFG DUCKULA IS BACK??????? *faint*

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The marriage of action cartoons to merchandising is hardly unique to western animation. Japan only gets away with high amounts of action anime because of absurd BRD pricing and merchandising anything that remotely catches on six ways from Sunday.