As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Codename: STEAM] Speed Patch is now available on the eShop!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I expect a detailed report on whether to buy this or not by 2 am cst.

Honestly the demo should tell you that everything you need to know about if you'll like the game or not.'

I'm specifically talking about the campaign and/or the "long game", so to speak.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The bottom line is that you really don't give a damn about the review, but rather want a unified chorus of praise for a game you like. That's what's aggravating, and it happens every time someone doesn't fall lockstep with other reviews (or is just negative when every other review is negative or mixed). Let's invent reasons why this Review That Should Not Be is illegitimate, because clearly nobody could hate our darling game!

Oh, and Giant Bomb gave Rainbow Curse a 2/5, which is lower than GameSpot's 5/10. The game got mixed reviews, so there's no conspiracy for clicks going on here.

I hope you mean Maz, because I don't have any particular attachment to Codename Steam. Haven't played the demo because I don't care, and I don't think I'll get it. I don't like the fact that the characters don't level up. I think it probably deserves whatever average review score it gets.

And I mean everything I said on the last page. There is good reason to call bullshit on outlier reviews, especially ones from sites that do this sort of thing all the time to generate page clicks from the "controversy."

Again...people go around complaining about the sorry state of game journalism in one breath, talking about all the BS attention-seeking filler on these sites, and then the next minute turn around and insist that every review is respectable and trustworthy.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I expect a detailed report on whether to buy this or not by 2 am cst.

Honestly the demo should tell you that everything you need to know about if you'll like the game or not.'

I'm specifically talking about the campaign and/or the "long game", so to speak.

From my understanding there isn't really any metagame or between mission stuff to the game, you just go from one mission to the next with some story between.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    The bottom line is that you really don't give a damn about the review, but rather want a unified chorus of praise for a game you like. That's what's aggravating, and it happens every time someone doesn't fall lockstep with other reviews (or is just negative when every other review is negative or mixed). Let's invent reasons why this Review That Should Not Be is illegitimate, because clearly nobody could hate our darling game!

Oh, and Giant Bomb gave Rainbow Curse a 2/5, which is lower than GameSpot's 5/10. The game got mixed reviews, so there's no conspiracy for clicks going on here.

I hope you mean Maz, because I don't have any particular attachment to Codename Steam. Haven't played the demo because I don't care, and I don't think I'll get it. I don't like the fact that the characters don't level up. I think it probably deserves whatever average review score it gets.

And I mean everything I said on the last page. There is good reason to call bullshit on outlier reviews, especially ones from sites that do this sort of thing all the time to generate page clicks from the "controversy."

Again...people go around complaining about the sorry state of game journalism in one breath, talking about all the BS attention-seeking filler on these sites, and then the next minute turn around and insist that every review is respectable and trustworthy.
    Because the issue isn't "attention seeking" reviews, it's the fact that these sites depend on the very companies they're critiquing for income. If anything, a very negative review is riskier because you can lose ACTUAL REVENUE from ads if piss off the wrong people than whatever hypothetical cash you're making from people who desperately need to read a review they disagree with.

This is on top of other legitimate issues like reviewing games as some kind of utilitarian product instead of a piece of art, regurgitating press releases as gospel, or not criticizing games when previewed for fear that you may lose access to that company. Not "Oh god, they give games bad reviews for attention!" Jesus christ that is laughable.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I pretty much expect this game to get very mixed reviews.

The game basically does its own thing in a lot of ways and basically ignores a lot of standard practice and conventions, and either what it does is going to work for you, and you'll give the game a pretty glowing score, or it won't, and you'll give it a pretty scathing review.

That's why I keep recommending the demo, either you'll play it once and go "no thanks" or have sink over 10 hours into it like I have.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I actually stuck through the whole Fleming/Henry part of the tutorial in the demo, and while I wanted to like it, it just didn't click.

The part after, where you get Lion and Lily, I didn't finish but I think that's just a part of me not liking being dropped into a campaign already in progress.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Is this the industry thread? Not even talking about the game anymore, but the philosophy of game "journalism."

Downloading this now (it's up on the eshop, hurray Midnight Eastern release and not Pacific). Hopefully I'll have some time to play tonight, and I'll post impressions after I've had time with it. I think it was around 9000 blocks for those interested.

This will be the first game to take me away from Monster Hunter 4u for a bit!

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Yeah downloading this as well now, realized it was out after a golden pants Abraham Lincoln showed up to give me a puzzle piece. :D

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Downloading now, excited

• Options
    Just a heads up, the demo will only give you up to 9999 coins in transfer

It unlocks a shit load of weapons though

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Nah, I mostly agree with the reviews and think its Metascore (75) seems like a fair assessment from what I've played myself in the demo. Gamespot (or other sites, but mostly them) giving a fairly popular game a score that's much lower than the average for mostly arbitrary reasons is just a thing that keeps happening and it bugs me.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm really liking it a lot so far, but i'd stand by what other people kind of expected- if you didn't like the demo, you probably won't like this. The stages do get more varied and interesting, and the vehicles and turrets are a fun addition, but it is still mostly like what you found in the demo.

Music is really good and the voice acting is entertaining.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Well that demo sold me.

And now we have a two month EU release delay?

Sigh, I thought these days were behind us.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    From what I've played of STEAM the things I'm looking forward to most are the improvements that will be in STEAM 2: Wrinkle Free.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    Tairu wrote: »
    Just a heads up, the demo will only give you up to 9999 coins in transfer

It unlocks a shit load of weapons though

I think that's just a UI thing as I had waaaay more gold after finishing the first mission.

Which I almost lost at one point because I was so used to having 4 people and sub weapons when playing it from the demo, hahaha :)

• Options
    Does anyone with the game have access to a Marth amiibo? I want to find out what his passive ability is so I can add it to the OP.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Does anyone with the game have access to a Marth amiibo? I want to find out what his passive ability is so I can add it to the OP.

I will once I pick up the game after work :P

Edit: Actually, this may have your answer:
    http://nintendo247.com/this-is-how-amiibo-marth-and-ike-work-in-code-name-s-t-e-a-m/

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Man ABE mode is fucking weeeeeird

Almost like a simplified Kid Icarus Uprising.

Edit: Assorted Thoughts-
    - There is a pretty big difficulty spike right around the time you recruit Lion.
    - Leave room for Tom Sawyer's overwatch (it costs 3 steam) it's SUPER GOOD. And his range is surprising for a melee weapon!
    - I guess Tiger Lily uses regular boilers, as opposed to light boilers. Kinda surprising to me.
    - Nettlers (the INCREDIBLY small flying enemies are fucking annoying. You have about a 1/2 second window to shoot them if you aim dead-on. Bring a low-steam cost gun (the Phoenix Rifle you get for playing the demo is a good choice for them).

Tairu on
  • Options
    So as a big fan of Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM, I'm pretty immensely satisfied. The game is colorful and full of character, has nice sound effects and graphics, and I'm liking the characters, cheesy as they all are. I was afraid the game wouldn't be challenging, but it has a nice difficulty level so far and I've really had to think about my moves. The only thing really detracting from the experience is the enemy turn times, but on most maps it isn't that much of a problem. I noticed it once when I only had two characters because it felt like I was barely doing anything before an enemy turn.

For a first game in a new IP, I'm really satisfied. It doesn't mean there aren't improvements that could be made, or ones that I'd like to see made, but I'm having a lot of fun so it'd be foolish to look it in the mouth and think about what my perfect game may have been.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I think someone mentioned it before, but Randolph Carter is voiced by Doctor Venture and he's great

• Options
    I think someone mentioned it before, but Randolph Carter is voiced by Doctor Venture and he's great

Yup! Heard him in the GameXplain stream and now I instantly want to use him in all my teams :D

Also, just picked this up. Yay. They even had my pin that I was worrying about all day :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I just finished the first boss fight! Holy hell that was a fun, interesting, and tough encounter!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I just watched the quick look on Giant Bomb, is the waiting really that much of a bummer?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Doesn't appear to be, which I think the one thing everyone agrees is terrible. There is a trick, if you hold the select button it will speed up the enemies turn but only very slightly.

Edit: This guy has a copy of the game and he talks about the amiibo support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x4VItuffeQ&list=UUXBYDDRM-XCEl0lYfoDkdaA

From what I can tell (he didn't say this outright), they stay playable (like even if you turn off the game). But based on the original amiibo trailer, that is probably only until they die in battle.

Ike's Urvan attack is crazy strong, and his Ragnell actually pierces enemies with it's shockwave and hits enemies behind them.

Also, based on the character select screen we still have two more characters that haven't been revealed.

Since the function is already in the game, is it easy for them to just patch it and make the enemies move faster or it is just that they can't do it because of technical limitations?

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    I just watched the quick look on Giant Bomb, is the waiting really that much of a bummer?

Try the demo and see for yourself, personally I don't mind the waiting as I can usually get a lot of info on the enemy by paying attention, and I am used to waiting far longer from boardgames.

Also, so, uh, Nettlers.

How the heck am I supposed to fight these things?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    They're really easy to take out but you need to be patient. There's a small window where you can hit them, which doesn't help that they move a bit. Poorly designed enemy. I don't have the Fox yet but I imagine she'll take them out with ease.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Ok, got through the dumb first mission. I hated that one in the demo too - kind of wish I could carry over the fact that I've already beaten it :P The game gets much better once you can actually do shit like equip sub weapons and use heal guns, but they make you slog through all those levels with two people first :P

Also scanned in Marth and Ike. Marth has a really, really terrible voice from the little clip I heard :P Ike's was fine. I guess I'll have to use them next mission since it didn't give me any new characters yet like the demo did at this point. *shrug* At least I have a heal gun (plus like a shitload of other sub weapons thanks to the coins that transferred... I'm a little curious about the Banana Gun :P)

• Options
    They're really easy to take out but you need to be patient. There's a small window where you can hit them, which doesn't help that they move a bit. Poorly designed enemy. I don't have the Fox yet but I imagine she'll take them out with ease.

I took the one rifle that has a description that says its good at hitting birds and it killed them quite well, did take a bit of angling and timing though.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So I just discovered that Henry Flemming is voiced by Adam Baldwin. And now I feel like an ass for buying it. :(

(If this isn't a proper topic of discussion here, I'll delete this post.)

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    He probably doesn't get a percentage of every sale or something, he probably got a lump some for his work, so it doesn't really matter if you buy the game or not.

That's my guess, I'm not actually sure how voice actors are paid.

So far that makes it one GGer and one anti GGer for VA work for the game, so its a wash from that perspective.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Do you think you can go through life without purchasing anything a "bad person" had a hand in making?

Because there are worse people and worse corporations than Adam Baldwin out there, and you've bought much more from them and actively supported them, which is something you aren't doing in buying this game.

Anyway, he worked on the game, yeah, and he would have a job and get paid regardless, whether you or anyone else bought a copy. You're not supporting him, if that's what you're worried about.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    He probably doesn't get a percentage of every sale or something, he probably got a lump some for his work, so it doesn't really matter if you buy the game or not.

That's my guess, I'm not actually sure how voice actors are paid.

So far that makes it one GGer and one anti GGer for VA work for the game, so its a wash from that perspective.

True. Not to mention that he was hired for this well before GG. Still, I'm seeing people who are very upset about this (and, IMO, understandably so), and I feel like I've cross through a proverbial picket line. I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting.

But enough about my moral dilemma, how's everyone enjoying the game? Got my copy, along with the MM pin and a poster. Can't wait to try it out.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yooooo Randolphs Unspeakable Lure + Mine Layer

You're welcome

Edit: Unspeakable Lure doesn't seem to work on the same enemy twice, at least not right after the first time you used it. Makes sense, otherwise it would be OP.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    More Pro-tips™

The big dudes with the huge mouths (I think they're called Berserkers? I'll check after I finish this mission) are very strong, and they move their weakpoint around a lot because it's on their head, which kinda shifts. When you stun them, the weakpoint becomes a big target, and pretty much one hit (especially from the Steam Crossbow) will take them out.

Also those Elephant enemies can fucking heal. I hate them.

Edit: Also also, Pumpkin Stunner doesn't work on slanted surfaces such as stairs or ramps. I'm guessing mines don't either, but if I remember correctly the Unspeakable Lure still will.

Tairu on
  • Options
    My codename steam hot tip

Sawyer with the backpack that gives him 12 steam a turn is silly fun :D

• Options
    The amount of world-building in this game is surprising- not to say it's got an amazing story, but there are so many hints at backstory and almost every enemy is tied into an HP Lovecraft story, it's neat.

• Options
    Yeah the game isn't very in your face about it, but there is a lot of fun subtle stuff going on in the background.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Full cast list
    Henry Fleming – Adam Baldwin (Jayne Cobbe – Firefly)
    John Henry – Michael Dorn (Worf – Star Trek: The Next Generation)
    Lion – Fred Tatasciore (Saren – Mass Effect)
    Tiger Lily – Kari Wahlgren (Asche – Final Fantasy XII)
    Tom Sawyer – Jeremy Shada (Finn the Human – Adventure Time)
    The Fox – Grey DeLisle (Daphne – Scooby Doo)
    Randolph Carter – James Urbaniak (Dr. Thaddeus Venture – The Venture Bros.)
    Queequeg – TJ Storm (Craig Marduk – Tekken 6)
    Scarecrow – Paul Eiding (Max Tennyson – Ben 10)
    Abe Lincoln – Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher – Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I really want this game to have a sequel, guys

I know a lot of you just aren't into it (for completely valid reasons) but there is so much potential there