As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Codename: STEAM] Speed Patch is now available on the eShop!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Wow, really? That was the most unrecognizable Michael Dorn voice over I've ever heard :P It's usually super obvious when he voices something.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    Gonna pick this up tomorrow. It scratches that FE itch while embracing a wacky cast of characters. The demo only goes to the 2nd mission, right?

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Tairu wrote: »
    I really want this game to have a sequel, guys

I know a lot of you just aren't into it (for completely valid reasons) but there is so much potential there

A sequel would be great, of course.

But honestly I am just super happy this game got made AT ALL.

I mean, nintendo making a steampunk game with cthulhu aliens, an american comic book art style, and a cast of characters of English literary classics is not something I expected to ever see.

Edit: Can't wait till I have the whole cast unlocked, but man, just got Scarecrow and I am having a hard time imagining not having him on my team, being able to stun enemies around corners to advance without the threat of overwatch is super nice.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Edit: Unlocked all the characters! The game's story takes a pretty cool turn.
    I really should have expected that we would go to Oz

Tairu on
  • Options
    I think one thing this game lacks is a stealth character, or a cloaking sub-weapon. Kinda surprised by that.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Tairu wrote: »
    I think one thing this game lacks is a stealth character, or a cloaking sub-weapon. Kinda surprised by that.

I feel like Tom is basically the stealth character of the game. He's the smallest, and with the scout boiler he can travel really far turn after turn. What I think makes him the stealth character is his hop ability, which lets him sneak around and get behind enemies easier than a lot of the cast. Also, it means when an enemy does see him, he can often break LOS and then hop over some things so when the enemy chases him they won't find him. I feel like his land mine super compliments his scouting/stealth role well too.

Edit: Right after making this post I got enough gears to get a stealth oriented boiler, neat!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Just completed the game. The ending didn't really match tonally with the rest of the game but that last mission was fantastic!

Edit: Once you beat the game you unlock all the music (FUCK YES) and all the cinematics, called "comics"! This is great.

There are 111 songs. Jesus.

Tairu on
  • Options
    I think I'm getting near the end of the game, just got the last character unlocked...

I don't want it to be over! It's so good!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just started this. I think I'm two missions in.

John Henry is awesome and I can totally tell that Abe is Wil Weaton.

Fantastic game so far, although I can fully understand the complaints about waiting for the enemies to do their thing. Sometimes it takes forever to finally get to your turn.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Is it wrong to envy the framing device kid for having a Marth Amiibo?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Is it wrong to envy the framing device kid for having a Marth Amiibo?

He's obviously a scalper. :evil:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just started and completed level 1. What's the total number of missions? Are they all broken into 3 parts? Any thoughts on total playtime?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Man does it feel good when you come up with a strategy and it completely pays off.

I'm loving this game.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Just started and completed level 1. What's the total number of missions? Are they all broken into 3 parts? Any thoughts on total playtime?

15 missions (plus 3 ABE missions) of different lengths. They can have anywhere from 1-3 parts. Total playtime around 20-24 hours if you're just doing the main campaign.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Man does it feel good when you come up with a strategy and it completely pays off.

I'm loving this game.

I've taken to equipping all my light characters with the Ninja pack and just one-shotting most enemies in their weak spots.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Codename STEAM has it's own 3DS menu theme now! I'm not sure what the song is yet. I tried to download it but I keep forgetting my eShop password.

Edit: It's just the menu music, kind of a bummer. Was hoping they'd used Codename: THEME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22L3LUQFSU

Tairu on
  • Options
    Yeeesssss getting that

• Options
    Yay, finally getting Tiger Lilly. Trying a bunch of loadouts to find what's useful. I'm kind of liking giving Lion a close-range gun like the Shotgun or Shuriken launcher.

• Options
    Okay, how do you deal with those stupid tiny fly things that are always on overwatch and fire always-stunning bullets? Can they be hit? And how do you find their location before you get spotted?

• Options
    Okay, how do you deal with those stupid tiny fly things that are always on overwatch and fire always-stunning bullets? Can they be hit? And how do you find their location before you get spotted?

Just ran into those too. Help would be great.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

They can be hit, they move around a bit so weapons with high accuracy snd low steam cost are good. Rifles are particularly good. Scarecrow is really good at killing them but you may not have him yet.

Remember that healing someone removes stun from them, good luck!

• Options
    Yeah, I'm in the mission where you get Tom.

Who really needs a secondary weapon.

• Options
    His weapon is so goooood! He's also not bad at punching them out of the sky when he gets close, and the medic gun can help with that.

• Options
    Just beat this last night! Man what a game, what a damn fine game.

Truly bummed were likely to never get a sequel.

Going to take a little break to play some other things and then try to get the gears that I missed my first run through, and get enough gold for the last unlock.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They're adding an enemy turn fast forward option soon in an update.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Cross-posting from the 3ds thread:

I was on the test team for the fast forward patch and can give a definitive "thumbs up" for how much better Codename: STEAM is with it enabled.

If you were on the fence before because of the enemy turn speed, you owe it to yourself to give this game another chance. Seriously, it's that good.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Super happy to hear about the fast forward option. I've been loving the game, and that's my only real complaint so far.

Any mention of when that might be coming?

• Options
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Super happy to hear about the fast forward option. I've been loving the game, and that's my only real complaint so far.

Any mention of when that might be coming?

Not seeing a date. Just "soon".

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    Welp I am getting this game now, my one con was just resolved.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    YOOOOOOOO. Thats fantastic!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I was on the test team for the fast forward patch and can give a definitive "thumbs up" for how much better Codename: STEAM is with it enabled.

If you were on the fence before because of the enemy turn speed, you owe it to yourself to give this game another chance. Seriously, it's that good.

It is cool that they're doing this.

Less cool: that it never occurred to them that this was important pre-launch. I think the review scores would have been much better (probably at least a point higher from most places) and it's not like outlets will revise those scores now...

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I've got a copy of this game, but I think I'll wait until the patch hits to really jump in.

• Options

It is cool that they're doing this.

Less cool: that it never occurred to them that this was important pre-launch. I think the review scores would have been much better (probably at least a point higher from most places) and it's not like outlets will revise those scores now...

Could be they were pressured into releasing earlier? I don't see why... maybe to not eat up the sales from Splatoon as a new Nintendo IP. Or something.

• Options
    So the Sandworm/Tremor aliens can die in a fire. I hate them so very much. :evil:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Well there's still over a month before EU release so the patch might be in time for that hooray?

Usual story. I was all keen to play this when it first came out for you guys and the increased chatter lead me to trying the demo. As things are I'll probably have forgotten about it by the time I can actually buy it.

Such is the way iof things in the fast paced, short attention spanned digital age.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So the Sandworm/Tremor aliens can die in a fire. I hate them so very much. :evil:

Randolph or Scarecrow lets you deal with them much more easily.

• Options
    StereodantStereodant Registered User regular
    Had this for a while, but haven't started it yet. Might as well wait now that an update is coming.

• Options
    So I was playing the library level, and my strategy was paying off big time. I had two teams going two different directions, flanking the enemy, taking them out before they knew what hit them. I was so proud of my strategy. But then the level went 'nope!' and just started spawning reinforcements like crazy, and just outright overwhelmed me with an endless stream of baddies.

I still beat the level, but with two guys down. It was the most humbling experience. Also frustrating. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Looks like the update is out now. At least that's what I'm hearing.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Cool, I should play this more. I haven't had any time. I think I *just* got Tiger Lily so I finally have 4 (not counting the Fire Emblem characters, but they won't let me bring them as extra fill-ins on the "2 or 3 person" missions - I have to swap them for an actual non-sucky character which ain't happening.. sorry Marth, learn to use a damn gun and we'll talk).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    It is, I'm downloading it as I type. I'll get to test it out during lunch. Speed up those battles woo!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!