As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [JRPG] thread. Fuck FF7, THERE'S A NEW NIER!

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Well um uh erm um

Let's see what happens in 3.0!

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Yukira
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    All 3 leaders of the city states in FFXIV are competent women

well.

were at least.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    SCREECH OF THE FARG
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Don't spoil too much for anyone who hasn't played it yet.

But after the last story bits before the expansion, let's all agree on one thing:
    Fuck Ul'dah

Kevin Crist
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also ysera and alexstrasza are kinda a very big deal? and moira plays a pretty big roll and lillian vess is one of the more developed side characters and then theres lili

and just no

wow does a pretty good job of giving equal screen time to everybody

except thrall because he always has to be the goku

Ysera and Alexstrasza who ended Cataclysm giving up their power and haven't been seen since because they don't do anything anymore.

Moira who makes an appearance in one scenario, does nothing in that scenario, and that's about it.

Lillian Voss who dies in Scholomance and is only seen prior to that in the Undead starting zone and Scarlet Monastery instance.

Meanwhile here's Varian and Garrosh waving their dicks at each other from Wrath to the end of Mists. Then it's the Warlords wavings their dicks at everyone in Warlords of Draenor. And of course Thrall just being the omnipresent Jesus metaphor who can do no wrong ever since Cataclysm.

In the meantime here's Sylvannas busy becoming the new Lich Queen, Tyrande doing fuck-all, Maiev Shadowsong just disappearing after Illidan because she had no more purpose, Garona being mind-controlled by Gul'dan, Jaina on the warpath (though I will say she has good reason), Zaela introduced as the new leader of the Dragonmaw then killed in Siege, brought back as a boss in Blackrock in WoD, then killed again.

No, WoW really does not do well with giving equal screentime to everybody.

turtleant
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    why are we using blizzard's laughably terrible writing as the standard here?

BahamutZERO.gif
    turtleantSCREECH OF THE FARGDonovan Puppyfucker
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    also ysera and alexstrasza are kinda a very big deal? and moira plays a pretty big roll and lillian vess is one of the more developed side characters and then theres lili

and just no

wow does a pretty good job of giving equal screen time to everybody

except thrall because he always has to be the goku

Ysera and Alexstrasza who ended Cataclysm giving up their power and haven't been seen since because they don't do anything anymore.

Moira who makes an appearance in one scenario, does nothing in that scenario, and that's about it.

Lillian Voss who dies in Scholomance and is only seen prior to that in the Undead starting zone and Scarlet Monastery instance.

Meanwhile here's Varian and Garrosh waving their dicks at each other from Wrath to the end of Mists. Then it's the Warlords wavings their dicks at everyone in Warlords of Draenor. And of course Thrall just being the omnipresent Jesus metaphor who can do no wrong ever since Cataclysm.

In the meantime here's Sylvannas busy becoming the new Lich Queen, Tyrande doing fuck-all, Maiev Shadowsong just disappearing after Illidan because she had no more purpose, Garona being mind-controlled by Gul'dan, Jaina on the warpath (though I will say she has good reason), Zaela introduced as the new leader of the Dragonmaw then killed in Siege, brought back as a boss in Blackrock in WoD, then killed again.

No, WoW really does not do well with giving equal screentime to everybody.

they did not give up power and are currently busy being fucking aspects that prevent reality from being torn apart

moira controls the dark iron dwarves and keeps them in check, and is also part of the dwarf council

voss is not dead

you are completely wrong about sylvannus, tyrande I will grant you, maeiv got an entire novel about her, garona lore is like 20 years old

you're wrong at best and being ridiculously demeaning to the roles those characters play in an attempt to prove some point?

wow writing is bad, but also transparent which you have somehow missed

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I fought so long, and got no Nier

but in the end, the sequel isn't even here

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    all the dragons gave up their immortality and lots of power at the end of cataclysm that was the whole point of the dragon soul

and they've been hinting at evil sylvanas also since cataclysm

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    turtleant
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Evil Sylvanus is 100% a thing.

PURGE THE UNDEAD. RECLAIM SOUTHSHORE

edited June 2015
    do they have an obvious character they're pushing to be the leader figure for the forsaken after sylvannas turns heel raid boss yet

once there is you can expect the sylvannas raid in the next year or so

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    do they have an obvious character they're pushing to be the leader figure for the forsaken after sylvannas turns heel raid boss yet

thrall

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    their power is just stored in the heart of the aspects

also sylvannus is never shown as evil, just being force to make shitty decisions after being thrust into a position of power she didn't want

also dealing with garrosh's shitty orc nazi nonsense

Rumor of Calia Menethil. Which is a phantom of a rumor, but has gotten some headway from the lore junkies.

also sylvannus is never shown as evil, just being force to make shitty decisions after being thrust into a position of power she didn't want

they have a scene that is directly comparing her actions to the lich king

they have a scene where she tortures a DK for not wanting to kill his friend

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    turtleant
  • FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    most finfans after the ps1 era have been pretty progressive

Reading the talk about the scenes around this forum I find this unlikely to be honest.

Zay wrote: »

you are kinda twisting those scenes around but ok?

It's gone. It was in the Dragon Soul, was used to kill Deathwing, and it's gone now.

Sylvannus, well let me point to the Gilneas storyline.

Orc General: Do not use the Plague on Gilneas.
    Sylvannas: I will not use the Plague on Gilneas.
    *Orc General leaves*
    *Sylvannus turns to her subordinate*
    Sylvannus: We're using the Plague on Gilneas.

Enc
    why is everyone spelling sylvanas wrong after i spelled it correctly is the more important question

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    PLAShen

Reading the talk about the scenes around this forum I find this unlikely to be honest.

They're only the most infamous scenes in the scope of 50+ hour games. 90% of the time they've been solid and steadily climbing.

FFVII is one of the worst offenders, but even then it's still more progressive than most RPGs of that era. They do some skeevy stuff with Tifa, but they also hired a separate writer who was tasked with writing her to be a believable heroine with "adult attributes" (not the ones you're thinking of).

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: With the aid of the val'kyr, we are now able to take the corpses of the fallen and create new Forsaken.
    Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Agatha, show the Warchief!
    *The Val'kyr Agatha proceeds to resurrect fallen corpses as Undead*
    High Warlord Cromush: ABBERATION!
    Garrosh Hellscream: What you have done here, Sylvanas....it goes against the laws of nature. Disgusting is the only word I have to describe it.
    Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Warchief, without these new Forsaken my people would die out...Out hold upon Gilneas and northern Lordaeron would crumble.
    Garrosh Hellscream: Have you given any thought to what this means, Sylvanas.
    Garrosh Hellscream: What difference is there between you and the Lich King now?

this is the most overt thing in the world, i am not twisting this remotely at all. it is the least subtle thing in wow lore, which is saying something

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Knowing how ham-handed Chris Metzen's writing is leads me to believe that if it seems like he's foreshadowing a heel turn for someone, it's not a red herring, he's absolutely just building up for the heel turn. He is not a subtle writer and he doesn't use misdirection or moral ambiguity.

BahamutZERO.gif
    turtleantEtiowsaKwoaruDyvim Tvar
  • FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular

They're only the most infamous scenes in the scope of 50+ hour games. 90% of the time they've been solid and steadily climbing.

FFVII is one of the worst offenders, but even then it's still more progressive than most RPGs of that era. They do some skeevy stuff with Tifa, but they also hired a separate writer who was tasked with writing her to be a believable heroine with "adult attributes" (not the ones you're thinking of).

To be specific, I was talking about the scenes in FFVII.

edited June 2015

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: With the aid of the val'kyr, we are now able to take the corpses of the fallen and create new Forsaken.
    Garrosh Hellscream: What you have done here, Sylvanas....it goes against the laws of nature. Disgusting is the only word I have to describe it.
    Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Warchief, without these new Forsaken my people would die out...Out hold upon Gilneas and northern Lordaeron would crumble.

this is the most overt thing in the world, i am not twisting this remotely at all. it is the least subtle thing in wow lore, which is saying something

that is literally the only way her people can reproduce and you are siding with fucking orc hitler on the issue

EDIT: also when sylvanas is killed, cromush orders the valkyr to resurrect her, the exact goddamn thing he thought was so horrible like 2 hours before that

PiptheFair on
    also the big difference is the forsaken are sentient and can choose their loyalty

Knowing how ham-handed Chris Metzen's writing is leads me to believe that if it seems like he's foreshadowing a heel turn for someone, it's not a red herring, he's absolutely just building up for the heel turn. He is not a subtle writer and he doesn't use misdirection or moral ambiguity.

sylvanas has towed the line for literally the entire game and even before it in war3

sylvanas has towed the line for literally the entire game and even before it in war3

well I'd be happy to be proven wrong, I do like sylvanas as the leader.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular

that is literally the only way her people can reproduce and you are siding with fucking orc hitler on the issue

I'm not really sure that bringing people back to life against their will is a good thing. Just like the Death Knights the best thing the Forsaken can hope for is to live out the rest of their lives and let their "race" die out.

To be specific, I was talking about the scenes in FFVII.

I'd argue Lulu was the most pandered character.

Virtually every camera angle and victory in battle was basically saying "Yo! Cleavage!"

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people have been saying we'll get raid boss sylvanas since wrath

Advocate wrote: »

I'm not really sure that bringing people back to life against their will is a good thing. Just like the Death Knights the best thing the Forsaken can hope for is to live out the rest of their lives and let their "race" die out.

they have no will, they are dead

also, this is a perspective thing because I'm pretty sure the president would not go "you know what, fuck america nobody gets to have sex anymore"

PiptheChrisMetzen

WeedLordVegetaBlurblDyvim Tvar
    and then radius was corruption

Well at least we can expect to see pip in one of the trash mob packs of the sylvanas raid.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    you think people are totally cool with waking up and being undead?

sylvanas fucking hated it and it was the entire reason she wanted to get back at arthas. and now she's doing it to others

Jars on
    Zayturtleant
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I sure didn't expect to see a WoW lore argument in this day and age

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    ThetherooCilla BlackDyvim TvarI Win Swordfights
    Sylvanas starts WoW as leader of the Forsaken in order to protect them as former citizens of Lordaeron brought back as Scourge against their will having only recently thrown off the rule of the Lich King. Her every move is towards the goal of ensuring that they are not wiped out by those who see the Forsaken as more Scourge while making alliances with the Horde to secure their position in Lordaeron.

To raise people from the dead goes against all of her original motivations. This is not her protecting unfortunate souls who must now contend with a world that hates them, this is her raising an army that cannot defy her with the sole purpose of exterminating every living thing in the entire world. That battlecry from the Wrath cutscene, "Death to the living!" is her main goal now.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

You want me to distract you with some ridiculous theories for Nier 2?

Because I have ideas.

IKknkhU.gif
    Doobh
    What if Nier 2 is Frog Fractions 2

DoobhBlurblgtrmpLoveIsUnityPLAAndy JoeReynolds
    Madican wrote: »
    Sylvanas starts WoW as leader of the Forsaken in order to protect them as former citizens of Lordaeron brought back as Scourge against their will having only recently thrown off the rule of the Lich King. Her every move is towards the goal of ensuring that they are not wiped out by those who see the Forsaken as more Scourge while making alliances with the Horde to secure their position in Lordaeron.

To raise people from the dead goes against all of her original motivations. This is not her protecting unfortunate souls who must now contend with a world that hates them, this is her raising an army that cannot defy her with the sole purpose of exterminating every living thing in the entire world. That battlecry from the Wrath cutscene, "Death to the living!" is her main goal now.

none of this is expressed at all but you're not going to change your opinion so I'm done with it
    Radius wrote: »
    What if Nier 2 is Frog Fractions 2

"if"

WeedLordVegeta
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »

You want me to distract you with some ridiculous theories for Nier 2?

Because I have ideas.

where does that really dumb skirt come into play

This discussion has been closed.