As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [JRPG] thread. Fuck FF7, THERE'S A NEW NIER!

19596979899101»

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I sure didn't expect to see a WoW lore argument in this day and age

let it be known that wow killed the jprg thread, not anime

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    I sure didn't expect to see a WoW lore argument in this day and age

You want me to distract you with some ridiculous theories for Nier 2?

Because I have ideas.

where does that really dumb skirt come into play

Oh, that one's easy.

Taro Yoko loves putting his female characters in stupid outfits.

Exhibit A: Kaine

Exhibit B: Zero

IKknkhU.gif
    Doobh
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    isn't the character designer they listed in the nier 2 teaser the one who did bravely default?

BahamutZERO.gif
    I think yoshida did bravely default. he also does FF14

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    isn't the character designer they listed in the nier 2 teaser the one who did bravely default?
    BDFFedeavampire.jpg

BDFF_Spell_Fencer.jpg

Yep, seems about right.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Duke 2.0
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    BDFFedeavampire.jpg

BDFF_Spell_Fencer.jpg

Yep, seems about right.

Dammit Stilts I was about to get to this

Akihiko Yoshida loves his weird skirt things, from Tactics to BD to this

VRXwDW7.png
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Is that... is that dress literally entirely belts?

I thought Lulu was bad.

I think the original japanese version of that job class's outfit had less belts

BahamutZERO.gif
    nope I'm wrong that's the japanese version

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Is that... is that dress literally entirely belts?

I thought Lulu was bad.

it's not even enough belts to form a dress

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I feel like brother sister relationships are virtually untouched in games

...outside of onii chan garbage

Claire and Chris Redfield from Resident Evil.

Reynolds
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    So apparently there is a rumor 6.2 is the final patch of WoW's expansion? And its taken like, 7 months? And its has less content then an FFXIV patch? Ouch

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    nope I'm wrong that's the japanese version

Also, the entire cast is younger in the Japanese version, iirc.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So apparently there is a rumor 6.2 is the final patch of WoW's expansion? And its taken like, 7 months? And its has less content then an FFXIV patch? Ouch

:rotate:

but its not that surprising given wow history, right? what will be surprising if there's yet another year long gap between patch and the next expansion.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    like, its kind of absurd. Assuming 6.2 really is the final patch, compare the final patch video for WoW's xpac vs FFXIVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUtoLaQfC0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3hGDaDZqI

its not even a comparison, even ignoring amount of content, the ffxiv video makes it look like they actually give a shit

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don't think it'll be the final patch, since they said at the outset that Grom would be the final boss, and he's nowhere to be seen in the new raid.

If it's the final patch, it'll be because of cut content

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yesterday I started Nier play through attempt number 3.

Let's just say I'm really glad Platinum is doing the gameplay for the sequel, because holy shit is this game rough to actually play.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I don't think it'll be the final patch, since they said at the outset that Grom would be the final boss, and he's nowhere to be seen in the new raid.

If it's the final patch, it'll be because of cut content

I was pretty sure I had heard of development info for another expansion, and that there was going to be another two zone expansions for what became netherstorm and the ogre continent before Grom.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Spoilers for 6.2's final boss
    Both Grom and Yrel are involved in the fight, and Yrel is directly involved as a mechanic

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Everybody in this thread is totally going to buy the FFVII remake. It's probably STILL the most famous jurpeg ever made.

TransporterReynolds
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I just finished Earthbound the other day. Very fun and aggravating at the same time. I wish the combat was less swingy, it felt like all fights were either trivial or a possible TPK based on what psi powers they got off. What do people think are the odds that Mother 3 comes to VC?

sig.gif
    Also, can the Don Corneo scene really be called rapey when he thought he was hiring a hooker? I thought he was supposed to be more of a doofus than a threatening rapist. (at work, I can't watch the video posted so maybe I'm wrong).

sig.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    sex workers can still be non-consenting parties

it's one of the most dangerous professions in the world

Donovan PuppyfuckerLoveIsUnityShenTheySlashThemCilla Black
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, can the Don Corneo scene really be called rapey when he thought he was hiring a hooker? I thought he was supposed to be more of a doofus than a threatening rapist. (at work, I can't watch the video posted so maybe I'm wrong).

You probably shouldn't insinuate that you can't rape a prostitute.

WeedLordVegetaStiltsDonovan PuppyfuckerYukiraLoveIsUnityAndy JoeTheySlashThemDoobh
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I think what Sage means is that the character is working under the assumption that the girls want to be there.

Doesn't mean he ain't a creeper, and he persists when refused anyway, and the Wutai segment is rapey as fuck.

So yeah.

I'm someone who wants the game to change as little as possible and basically just be Final Fantasy 7 with new graphics and sound.

And even then I will be perfectly okay with it if the Don Cornero bullshit is heavily modified or removed entirely.

edited June 2015
    A steak! wrote: »

Thanks for taking the opportunity to be sanctimonious over something you know I wasn't insinuating.

edit:: And just to be clear, it should have been clear I wasn't insinuating that because I mentioned that I couldn't watch the video so I wasn't 100% on the context. If that was really my position, the context wouldn't have mattered.

LockedOnTarget is right, I'm insinuating that if a prostitute comes to your place, knowing who you are ahead of time, that's usually a good sign that he/she's willing to have sex with you. And if I remember right, Cloud didn't really dispel his notion because he was waiting for his friends to arrive before taking him on. So it's not like he really notified him that he didn't consent (but again, if I'm wrong on this let me know). So it's not that the Don really intended to rape her, it just seems like it to us because we know that it's cloud.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

Even if you give a pass to the Wall Market scene (which I don't), he returns in Wutai to tie Yuffie and Elena from the Turks to a statue, and threatens to murder both if the party doesn't let him make one into his sex slave.

The biggest problem in my opinion isn't that a game with a fairly pessimistic setting includes such a disgusting person as a recurring villain. It certainly wouldn't diminish the verisimilitude of the Midgar slums to have even worse crimes be even more common. It's a fucked up place run by fucked up people, and I think it's possible for them to portray that respectfully in all its grim details, without pulling any punches.

The problem is that all his scenes are presented as a light-hearted, low-stakes side story against a silly gag character, a relaxing reprieve from the much more "serious" drama of the main plot. The problem is that sexual violence is being treated as a punchline, and its perpetrator is just a nuisance compared to the "real" problems.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Donovan Puppyfucker

Even if you give a pass to the Wall Market scene (which I don't), he returns in Wutai to tie Yuffie and Elena from the Turks to a statue, and threatens to murder both if the party doesn't let him make one into his sex slave.

Aha, I forgot that was the same guy. In that context it makes more sense. Thanks for explaining.

sig.gif

Thanks for taking the opportunity to be sanctimonious over something you know I wasn't insinuating.

edit:: And just to be clear, it should have been clear I wasn't insinuating that because I mentioned that I couldn't watch the video so I wasn't 100% on the context. If that was really my position, the context wouldn't have mattered.

LockedOnTarget is right, I'm insinuating that if a prostitute comes to your place, knowing who you are ahead of time, that's usually a good sign that he/she's willing to have sex with you. And if I remember right, Cloud didn't really dispel his notion because he was waiting for his friends to arrive before taking him on. So it's not like he really notified him that he didn't consent (but again, if I'm wrong on this let me know). So it's not that the Don really intended to rape her, it just seems like it to us because we know that it's cloud.

And just because someone has decided to have sex with you doesn't mean they gave carte blanche!

And I don't care a whole lot about what you intended, I'm going by the words you used. Maybe you should pick them better in the future.

Don always struck me as one of those people that is used to getting his way and one of those people that uses his position of power/wealth to pressure people into doing what he wants.

He's just so damn skeezy.

And just because someone has decided to have sex with you doesn't mean they gave carte blanche!

And I don't care a whole lot about what you intended, I'm going by the words you used. Maybe you should pick them better in the future.

I can't believe a mod is being the biggest goose of the thread. At no point did I imply, insinuate, or do anything to say that it was carte blanche. I specifically said in the response you quoted that Cloud never indicated he was not giving consent! Indicating that I don't think it's carte blanche!

You didn't mistake what I said because of poor word choice on my part. You just decided to assume that I was an MRA or something because you wanted to make a simple putdown that would get you a bunch of agrees, instead of actually reading or understanding what I was saying.

sig.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Don always struck me as one of those people that is used to getting his way and one of those people that uses his position of power/wealth to pressure people into doing what he wants.

He's just so damn skeezy.

Just get rid of all the skeevy perverted stuff and just make Don Corneo a 1 percenter ruling his little fiefdom

Also you get to kill him this time

I can't believe a mod is being the biggest goose of the thread. At no point did I imply, insinuate, or do anything to say that it was carte blanche. I specifically said in the response you quoted that Cloud never indicated he was not giving consent! Indicating that I don't think it's carte blanche!

You didn't mistake what I said because of poor word choice on my part. You just decided to assume that I was an MRA or something because you wanted to make a simple putdown that would get you a bunch of agrees, instead of actually reading or understanding what I was saying.

Considering I have no fucking clue who you are I don't know why I should assume whether you are or are not someone that has terrible opinions. I went by your post. Deal.

there's already a new thread, shouldn't this one be locked?

edited June 2015
    Jars wrote: »
    there's already a new thread, shouldn't this one be locked?

there shouldn't be a new thread until the old one is locked

wait I thought this one was locked before though

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Kwoaru
This discussion has been closed.