As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Canada has some crazy-ass laws about moving liquor across borders (provincial included) as I remember. Makes life difficult for many things.

The US isn't all that much better. The systems for selling alcohol in the US, especially beer, are just insane.

In some states it's a monopoly inside a monopoly.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Living in Ottawa, it's pretty crazy the difference in laws just over the bridge. Cheapest place to get beer is to drive to the Costco on the Gatineau side. It's illegal to bring it back but I've never heard anyone get in trouble for it. Plus I'm assuming that's where all the Ottawa cops get their booze.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PM Trudeau personally welcomes Syrian refugees to Canada.
    Tonight, they step off the plane as refugees but they walk out of this terminal as permanent residents of Canada with social insurance numbers, with health cards and with an opportunity to become full Canadians.
    This is something that we are able to do in this country because we define a Canadian not by a skin colour or a language or a religion or a background but by a shared set of values, aspirations, hopes and dreams that not just Canadians but people around the world share.

...can we have your head of government? Please?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Well I mean technically you do have a Canadian running for president right now, though I don't suspect you'll like him nearly as much as we like not having him.

488W936.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    FullStore-ec1da674.jpeg?ver=1441382704&aspectratio=1.8348623853211

Whoa, this is a very small world; my wife took that photo. (and would like me to point out that it comes from Avenue Calgary to get attribution stuff linked properly)

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I like the Co-op Liquor stores, I have right by my place off Crowchild and Kensington road. Good selection of craft beers, wine spirits and they are clean and well staffed. The highlander has some good stuff too but it is a bit of a drive for me. I remember being a kid and going with my parents to the AGLC liquor store in Medicine Hat, them filling out a goddamn form and then giving that to the staff so they can get the beer for them.

Mind boggling.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I like the Co-op Liquor stores, I have right by my place off Crowchild and Kensington road. Good selection of craft beers, wine spirits and they are clean and well staffed. The highlander has some good stuff too but it is a bit of a drive for me. I remember being a kid and going with my parents to the AGLC liquor store in Medicine Hat, them filling out a goddamn form and then giving that to the staff so they can get the beer for them.

Mind boggling.

COOP is by far the best "chain" stores.

@djmitchella That's awesome! She work for them or is freelance?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    She works for Redpoint, who publish Avenue (and the Westjet magazine and a bunch of other smaller-circulation things).

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Living in Ottawa, it's pretty crazy the difference in laws just over the bridge. Cheapest place to get beer is to drive to the Costco on the Gatineau side. It's illegal to bring it back but I've never heard anyone get in trouble for it. Plus I'm assuming that's where all the Ottawa cops get their booze.

I moved to Ottawa recently to be with my fiancée. I absolutely refuse to do bussiness with the beer store even tough we live 5 minutes away from one tough, I hate everything about that shitty place. I don't consume hard liquor anymore so I can't comment on the differences beetween SAQ and LCBO.

I still do most of my grocery shopping on the Québec side and booze is the main reason. For me it's just natural to buy alcohol at the same time you purchase the rest of your food (and the prices are much better on the Québec side).

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Jean wrote: »

I moved to Ottawa recently to be with my fiancée. I absolutely refuse to do bussiness with the beer store even tough we live 5 minutes away from one tough, I hate everything about that shitty place. I don't consume hard liquor anymore so I can't comment on the differences beetween SAQ and LCBO.

I still do most of my grocery shopping on the Québec side and booze is the main reason. For me it's just natural to buy alcohol at the same time you purchase the rest of your food (and the prices are much better on the Québec side).

I hate the Beer Store, it's terrible. The LCBO often has a pretty decent beer selection though. But if you've got access to the QC stores then yeah

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    My experiences with the Beer Store aren't bad but I usually go to the big ones where you can actually get your own beer. That being said, the shady backdoor dealings and the fact that it's basically a government sanctioned foreign monopoly is completely ridiculous and I would be more than happy to see it completely eliminated or made into an actual government run thing. The fact that there are limitations on what an LCBO can carry if a Beer Store is within a certain distance is a giant load of garbage and makes no sense except that government lackeys are making sweetheart deals for their corporate overlords.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Guys, there is a solution to your woes.

12238385_10153983559389796_761350899594975934_o.jpg

Build a kegerator. Brew your own beer and put it on tap.

Problem solved.

Now there's just the issue of alcoholism......

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well you can also just buy kegs from the local breweries too

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    All those pictures of those apparently super awesome liquor stores?

Basically every single BC Liquor store I've ever walked in. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

Don't you bring that weak ass beer game in here.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    But, I mean, really.

I live in Yellowknife.

There are two liquor stores.

They both kinda suck. One is slightly better than the other, but they are both owned by the same company. And the law prohibits them from being open on Sunday, which has been very inconvenient for me.

EDIT: There is a local brewery in town trying to get started, but the government keeps adding roadblocks before they're allowed to start brewing, so, hopefully they'll be able to get up and running and their beer won't suck.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »

Don't you bring that weak ass beer game in here.

Speak for yourself. I live near Unibroue.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    And appropriately we conclude the canadian politics thread with beer snobbery. :+1:

My old roomie does crazy homebrews and has three taps in his basement, it is the best.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    But, I mean, really.

I live in Yellowknife.

There are two liquor stores.

They both kinda suck. One is slightly better than the other, but they are both owned by the same company. And the law prohibits them from being open on Sunday, which has been very inconvenient for me.

EDIT: There is a local brewery in town trying to get started, but the government keeps adding roadblocks before they're allowed to start brewing, so, hopefully they'll be able to get up and running and their beer won't suck.

This is one of the nice things about the LCBO. Do you live in the middle of nowhere Northern Ontario? Well, you've probably got an LCBO. And if the LCBO carries a product anywhere, they can get it for you at your local store. And last I knew, for no extra charge. It's one of those things a massive government run operation can do.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    And if the LCBO carries a product anywhere, they can get it for you at your local store. And last I knew, for no extra charge.

That's not entirely true, unfortunately. I'm finding that out now as I'm trying to get a vintage bottle of Scotch shipped north from Toronto. Turns out individual stores can refuse to ship their bottles if they are too busy, or if they don't want to incur the shipping costs, or if they planned out their inventory and selection in a certain way, or if they just feel like being jerks. Fucking Toronto jerks.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Having grown up in Nova Scotia, and being a teetotaler, I'm pretty strongly in favour of provincially owned liquor stores. It weirds me out seeing alcohol being sold alongside food, rather than in a separate and potentially not even adjoining location.

Here in NS, there are some privately owned places selling wine and spirits (the Bishops' Cellar has a really good reputation) and there are breweries that can sell beer directly to customers. There are liquor stores build alongside grocery stores and in some cases under the same roof, but there'll set up in such a way as to make it clear that they're not under the purview of the store. There's also a store in the mall in the build where I work, directly off the food court. It's kind of funny to see people on Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoons coming into the office with new Keith's branded 'footrests.'

And that doesn't bother me at all.

But seeing beer directly alongside pop and juice on store shelves weirds me out and makes me really uncomfortable. Plus, it's less money in government coffers.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    And if the LCBO carries a product anywhere, they can get it for you at your local store. And last I knew, for no extra charge.

That's not entirely true, unfortunately. I'm finding that out now as I'm trying to get a vintage bottle of Scotch shipped north from Toronto. Turns out individual stores can refuse to ship their bottles if they are too busy, or if they don't want to incur the shipping costs, or if they planned out their inventory and selection in a certain way, or if they just feel like being jerks. Fucking Toronto jerks.

Damn. When my brother worked there the policy was to always send stuff where ever on the next shipment.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    CHCH TV in Southern Ontario filed for bankruptcy and has cancelled all their newscasts for this weekend. They were one of only two independent TV newscasts in Canada.

Honestly, I forgot they even existed, since the channel's programming has been basically movies for the last few years.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

I think that sending just one bottle is the problem. I suspect that if you were to ask for a "shippable quantity" they'd send it no problem.

I once had to source a bottle of wine from Australia (before Australian wines were quite so popular...at least 15 years ago now) for my wine snob uncle. As I was living in downtown Toronto at the time he sent me to find it for him. None of the larger LCBO's had it...but the dude at one of them found the brand in the system and said to me "as long as you're willing to take the whole case, I can bring in for you in two weeks, no problem." He explained that since the LCBO was the only game in town that they will bring in anything you want, as long as you take the whole case. And they did not charge me an extra dime for the hassle.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    The LCBO could stand to extend their hours from time to time. Myself I usually buy from Trinity Bellwoods Brewery.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Just send one of us Toronto jerks the money, and we'll make sure you get your scotch.

Oh yes. We'll make very sure... yes.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    BC Transit is getting rid of all paper transfers. Going forward, you either pay $2.50 for every bus you ride, or you can buy an unlimited day pass for $5, purchasable on the bus itself.

On paper, I get what they're doing. It's to combat transfer abuse, and I guess they've had enough dealing with it. I'm guilty of it. You're not supposed to use them for return trips, but I'll sure as heck push it and use one as long as possible. And financially speaking, this affects nobody doing a return transit trip. You should be paying $2.50 to get there, and $2.50 to get back. And if this does significantly affect you, you were probably better off getting a bus pass anyways.

However, they're selling the day passes on the bus now. There is a very good reason the bus driver does not carry change. Now you're giving them the burden of cash transactions. This is just asking for a heap of trouble.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    How are they dealing with cash transactions now in a way they weren't before?

Busses usually don't provide change if you overpay for normal fares so they can have the same rule for a day pass. Other cities already do this without problems.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    In a way it's easier to have $5 available than $2.50. Much less of a hassle if you don't have to carry around coins (unless Canada uses a coin for $5 instead of a bill, I know Canada has $1 coins at least).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Canada has 1 and 2 dollar coins. No higher coinage amounts, the rest is in bills.

488W936.png
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Which is bullshit. Coins are so inconvenient. We should go back to paper $1 IMHO.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Newblar wrote: »
    How are they dealing with cash transactions now in a way they weren't before?

Busses usually don't provide change if you overpay for normal fares so they can have the same rule for a day pass. Other cities already do this without problems.

The same way buses have done it for decades. A coin box completely out of the driver's hands. They say "exact change" but I've never met a driver who gave a shit that you put in more money than you should have, they're just not going to reimburse you is all.

Unless this new system involves something similar, like a completely automated vending machine that takes in the money and dispenses the passes. I suppose that could work if they figure out the logistics. There's no way they can have the driver's handle transactions though.

• Options
    Also you could just switch to a card system like Montreal.

• Options
    Which is bullshit. Coins are so inconvenient. We should go back to paper $1 IMHO.

I've seen statements I disagree with more today, but they all came from Donald Trump.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I've seen statements I disagree with more today, but they all came from Donald Trump.

Yeah that's a big negatory on the coins being inconvenient front.

Frankly small denomination coins up to $2 is pretty ideal

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The loonie and toonie are going to go away as soon as the penny comes back, which is never since the coins last so much longer than the paper (plastic).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Also nice about it, thinking you're broke, and finally counting your change and realizing you got like 50 bucks.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Yeah that's a big negatory on the coins being inconvenient front.

Frankly small denomination coins up to $2 is pretty ideal

For now! Eventually, there will come a time when we should replace the $5 bill with a $5 coin, and hopefully get rid of the nickel and dime while we're at it.

Also you could just switch to a card system like Montreal.

The first time I went to London (England) and used an Oyster card it was like discovering civilization.

And now, you can use a credit card with NFC tap-to-pay as your 'transit pass' if you'd prefer that to an Oyster Card.

• Options
    Moving from using the TTC to using the STM is like discovering civilization. OPUS cards, fare prices that make sense, it was madness.

Also a complete lack of wheelchair accessibility because fuck people who can't walk or have strollers!

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Moving from using the TTC to using the STM is like discovering civilization. OPUS cards, fare prices that make sense, it was madness.

Also a complete lack of wheelchair accessibility because fuck people who can't walk or have strollers!

They are working on that, installing elevators all over the place.

Although I do think that the peoples with strollers that don't go to the wagons with space for strollers during rush hour can get fucked.