As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

196979899100102»

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    The Duffy trial is certainly headed places.

Essentially, Duffy wants to try and play a he-said-she-said blame game. According to his testimony, the PMO 'extorted' him into taking a bunch of subsidy money. He didn't want to take all of that money - they forced him to, and alas, our courageous Duff showed a moment of weakness and begrudgingly accepted the wheelbarrows full of dough. Shame on that PMO!

Also he totally was not using Donohue to launder money. No sir. It was all 100% legit senate expenses. Apparently the nearly 65,000 dollars that our Duff paid out was totes a good deal, mang, and we were all 'well served' by having our Duff talk to this guy on the phone sometimes about non-specific things. Apparently this could have cost upwards of hundreds of dollars per hour, so we got a real good deal. Because talking about non-specific things over the phone a few times is exactly the same thing as getting professional consultant advice, you see.

I went from not caring much about this thing to wanting to see the book thrown as this disgusting weasel masquerading as a human being. This is no better at all, in my opinion, than ol' Bob McDonnel from Virginia.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    The Duffy trial is certainly headed places.

Essentially, Duffy wants to try and play a he-said-she-said blame game. According to his testimony, the PMO 'extorted' him into taking a bunch of subsidy money. He didn't want to take all of that money - they forced him to, and alas, our courageous Duff showed a moment of weakness and begrudgingly accepted the wheelbarrows full of dough. Shame on that PMO!

Also he totally was not using Donohue to launder money. No sir. It was all 100% legit senate expenses. Apparently the nearly 65,000 dollars that our Duff paid out was totes a good deal, mang, and we were all 'well served' by having our Duff talk to this guy on the phone sometimes about non-specific things. Apparently this could have cost upwards of hundreds of dollars per hour, so we got a real good deal. Because talking about non-specific things over the phone a few times is exactly the same thing as getting professional consultant advice, you see.

I went from not caring much about this thing to wanting to see the book thrown as this disgusting weasel masquerading as a human being. This is no better at all, in my opinion, than ol' Bob McDonnel from Virginia.

The real hope is his dishing on Harper's dirt brings more people down with him.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    My hope is that it turns the public against the Harper-cons once and for all. Permanently splits the right into a responsible honest conservative party and a corrupt-as-hell wish-we-were-Republicans party. And keep these fuckers out of power forever.

Of course it won't, since, if the Cons I know are any indication, the prevalent mindset is "all parties do it vote conservative" and "Trudeau's been a disaster so far vote conservative".

sig.gif
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    My hope is that it turns the public against the Harper-cons once and for all. Permanently splits the right into a responsible honest conservative party and a corrupt-as-hell wish-we-were-Republicans party. And keep these fuckers out of power forever.

Of course it won't, since, if the Cons I know are any indication, the prevalent mindset is "all parties do it vote conservative" and "Trudeau's been a disaster so far vote conservative".

Have they explained what they meant by "a disaster" for a guy working on his second month in office?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Have they explained what they meant by "a disaster" for a guy working on his second month in office?

He's a liberal.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Oh that explains it

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

He clearly doesn't know what he's doing and hasn't done anything and has done too many things too fast because he's clearly a radical with an agenda.

That's not multiple people giving me multiple opinions on multiple occasions, by the way. That's one person in one continuous skype chat.

sig.gif
  • Options

The story about the PCs bullshitting-up the numbers for available monies has already been spun into the Liberals secretly going into a back room and blowing a bunch of cash on [???], because that makes more sense in the mind of a conservative person I guess than the idea that the previous government just lied as part of an election campaign.

At any rate, I personally am becoming doubtful that there was serious involvement in the Duffy affair by the PMO. It sounds like how most of this corruption works; you get a weasel who is best buds with someone else & happily twists the system to get whatever they want out of it, and the people ostensibly supposed to be doing oversight are either lazy, unqualified or both (or just party purists like Wright who then try to cover-up shenanigans & happily fall on their own sword for The Cause). Then their graft becomes so blatant and ostentatious that an audit catches them, and then it's, 'OH WELL I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS AGAINST THE RULES GEE WHIZ. AND IT WASN'T ME IT WAS [OTHER PERSON] WHO TOTALLY MADE ME DO IT! I AM AN INNOCENT SNOWFLAKE AND THE LAST HONEST PERSON ON EARTH, BELEIVE ME!'

I'll be content to just watch Duff go to jail.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

The story about the PCs bullshitting-up the numbers for available monies has already been spun into the Liberals secretly going into a back room and blowing a bunch of cash on [???], because that makes more sense in the mind of a conservative person I guess than the idea that the previous government just lied as part of an election campaign.

That shit LITERALLY happened just a decade ago with Mike Harris/Ernie Eves. And McGuinty passed some new laws to prevent it from happening in the future.

Well. So I guess that's not quite the same thing, since Harper established the PBO to prevent it from happening, then promptly neutered the PBO so he could make it happen himself.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/did-the-conservative-partys-next-leader-use-cop21-as-a-coming-out-party

Had not really given it thought but this is probably on the mark.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Ok, who wants to take the reigns on the new thread. I went back and took a look at the first post in this thread and I am stumped at how I could even come on par with "100% More Cow Poke" and I don't want to just copy-pasta something you could read on a wiki.
    Disco11 wrote: »
    12299231_10156251626790557_5137485852111163873_n.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=840&h=630&crop=1

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "His first objective was to send the message to the Canadian government and other provincial premiers that we have problems in the energy sector and that we don't want to compound those," Joseph Garcea, a professor of political studies at the University of Saskatchewan, told VICE. "He said that he is not opposed to dealing with environmental matters, but argued that we have to do it in a way that doesn't adversely affect the Saskatchewan economy."

Our backwards, unsustainable, highly-polluting, economically-unstable, internationally-shamed energy sector is in trouble. To move forward, our province should diversify into new economic sectors that can promise cleaner, greater, more sustainable growth and that will benefit future generations in the long term desperately sacrifice everything we have in a vain attempt to save it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also, if this was meant to be his launch for a bid for CPC leadership, I'd say it was a flop. He got next to zero spotlight time in the media and accomplished nothing of substance. And let's face it, the base he's clearly trying to court are not watching a climate conference to begin with.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ...Saskatchewan doesn't even have an energy economy, so I don't know what the guy is on about. Most of their commodities money comes from extraction (they have bet a lot of money against Potash. So I guess they better hope that Potash's value doesn't tank).

It's amusing to see how many of these idiots really did drink the kool aid. Like, nevermind that Alberta's economy is now in the tank, that Fort Mac is now slowly becoming an abandoned ghost town, that there is now an enormous unemployment crisis, etc: somehow it only makes sense to them at this point to bet even more money on oil. Because that rally is coming any day now, and when it does, boy howdy!

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    nevermind

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I have to wonder what the odds are that the CPC are basically going to have their version of this;
    2cf9phk.jpg

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »

Harper is what happens when you elect a pod person.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

Harper is what happens when you elect a pod person.

Or an inanimate carbon rod.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    We all know that an inanimate carbon rod would have done less damage to Canada than Harper managed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    We all know that an inanimate carbon rod would have done less damage to Canada than Harper managed.

Well, Harper certainly gave us the SHAFT.

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

You deserve a ban for that pun.

• Options
    notdroid wrote: »

Don't be a stick in the mud.

• Options

Yeah, we're not going to bar puns from this thread.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    ...Saskatchewan doesn't even have an energy economy, so I don't know what the guy is on about. Most of their commodities money comes from extraction (they have bet a lot of money against Potash. So I guess they better hope that Potash's value doesn't tank).

It's amusing to see how many of these idiots really did drink the kool aid. Like, nevermind that Alberta's economy is now in the tank, that Fort Mac is now slowly becoming an abandoned ghost town, that there is now an enormous unemployment crisis, etc: somehow it only makes sense to them at this point to bet even more money on oil. Because that rally is coming any day now, and when it does, boy howdy!

Actually, Saskatchewan DOES have an energy economy - 15% of Canada's oil production is from SK, producing ~585k barrels per day in 2014, which combined with other non-renewables accounted for $1.6 billion in revenue for that year (+/-). Alberta's stat for 2014: 2.8 million bbl/day; $5.5 billion. Considering that SK doesn't have the oilsands (worth 2.2 million bbl/day in production, circa Q3 2014), that puts them near to Alberta in conventional production.

So, while they haven't shackled themselves to the same degree that we have in Alberta to the world wide oil market, it's not accurate to say they don't have an energy economy.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options

That would be un-canadian.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

To be fair he didn't apologize for the pun. And notdroid didn't apologize for the threat...

I'm sorry, but there's a lot of un-Canadian stuff going on in this thread.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    El Skid wrote: »

To be fair he didn't apologize for the pun. And notdroid didn't apologize for the threat...

EDIT:
    On second though, take off, eh! Ya hoser.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    OK, so I have an Idea that Must Be Executed, so I'll whip up a new OP this evening.

Sorry!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    El Skid wrote: »

Here I'll fix it:

I'm sorry but you deserve a ban for that pun.

notdroid on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Or I'll procrastinate everything I was supposed to be doing and just make it now:

NEW THREAD: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202173/canadian-politics-yuletide-moose-dreams

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.