Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    He argues that, without the more detailed census data, policy makers are essentially flying without a radar, unsure of whether government programs are working now, and with no way of effectively planning for the future.
    Give this man a prize shaped like the word "prize" with a plaque on the bottom that reads "prize".

But that's the PLAN!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That's... sudden.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Maybe Baird's going to the UN?

No, really

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I read it to mean that he thinks the code isn't being applied, and he's trying to force the AGs to apply it.

Seems reasonable.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Maybe Baird's going to the UN?

No, really

Apparently not. Rumor is a private sector job and some board positions. Standard Conservative post-politics career...

• Options
    So wandered into Target on my way home to check out this "black friday-esque" liquidation sale.

Basically everything is marked down 10%.

They are even failing at going out of business.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    So wandered into Target on my way home to check out this "black friday-esque" liquidation sale.

If it's like Zellers, they'll gradually increase the discounts as time passes.

Did they announce a final closing date?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

If it's like Zellers, they'll gradually increase the discounts as time passes.

Did they announce a final closing date?

No, but they were saying the discounts would be big because they wanted to unload the inventory fast. Zellers took like months.

• Options
    The way they generally work is that they'll ramp up the sales the closer they get to closing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Great if you want XS or 3XL shirts.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Great if you want XS or 3XL shirts.

Theres an Alberta joke in there somewhere.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Are...are we known for being fat?

Cause that seems more like an Ontario thing :P

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    I assume he's referring more to keystone xl

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    Are...are we known for being fat?

Cause that seems more like an Ontario thing :P
    Lol no. Just every time I go to any "liquidation" sale there are never any clothes left that are anywhere near a size I can actually wear.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    To be honest, if you want some really great deals, buy the tables / shelves etc at the very end just before they finish liquidating everything.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/one-in-five-albertans-say-vaccines-can-cause-autism

So goddam embarrassed for where I live.

Granted, this was a telephone poll, so perhaps the sample is skewed, but come on! 20%?? Gyah.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    Crazification factor

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    For fucks sake people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poliomyelitis#Vaccine

2015 and vaccines are the "big scare" now? idiocracy is proving to be a pretty prophetic film.

• Options
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    about damn time.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Huge news, should probably be in the thread title. Also wonderful news. Speaking as a physician, most of my colleagues are pretty pleased with this decision as well.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It is also worth restating that this is a 9-0 decision, with all justices signing the ruling in an unusually strong statement to the government. Given that half those justices were appointed by Stephen Harper, I continue to remain amazed at how fair and nonpartisan our highest court is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    As disappointed as I've been with Canada lately, I still <3 the Canadian judiciary. Among other recent decisions:

Immigration program for parents ‘discriminatory,’ Federal Court of Appeal rules

B.C. MLA Andrew Weaver wins defamation suit against National Post

Niqab ban at citizenship ceremony struck down by court

Essential services law deemed unconstitutional by Supreme Court

Between the SCOC and the Harper Conservatives, I think there's getting to be a pretty strong case for Plato's philosopher king governance model here.

hippofant on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I wish the US SCOTUS was more like Canada's.

The doctor assisted suicide, for specific cases, ruling may have some interesting implications for the US.

Mill on
  • Options
    Mill wrote: »
    I wish the US SCOTUS was more like Canada's.

The doctor assisted suicide, for specific cases, ruling may have some interesting implications for the US.

Isn't doctor-assisted suicide already legal in some US states?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    A quick search shows Washington, Oregon and Vermont as the only states where it's legal.

Given how nuts the GOP is, it wouldn't matter if anyone traveled to Canada to get doctor assistance for suicide (assuming it's one of the legitimate cases for such an approach in Canada), there would be a push to have a bill forbidding such travel to in states where it's not legal and the US Congress. I'm pretty sure some of them would do this, even if it's proven that it's far easier for someone to just travel to one of the three states where it's legal.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    A quick search shows Washington, Oregon and Vermont as the only states where it's legal.

Given how nuts the GOP is, it wouldn't matter if anyone traveled to Canada to get doctor assistance for suicide (assuming it's one of the legitimate cases for such an approach in Canada), there would be a push to have a bill forbidding such travel to in states where it's not legal and the US Congress. I'm pretty sure some of them would do this, even if it's proven that it's far easier for someone to just travel to one of the three states where it's legal.

Wouldn't such a bill run afoul of interstate commerce laws? Or rather, because it would, the federal government would have the opportunity to claim jurisdiction.

Anyways, it doesn't seem like it's a different situation as it was here. Quebec had legalized it, and the federal government moved to block it, and SCOC smacked them down. Not sure if SCOTUS ruled on it in the States yet though.

• Options
    So Eve Adams just crossed the floor to the Liberals.

That's pretty crazy

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    So Eve Adams just crossed the floor to the Liberals.

That's pretty crazy
    I had literally never heard of her before this morning.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well, her husband was, uh like director of communications for the CPC until a year or so ago when there was a big public nomination battle involving Eve.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Which has interesting.implications regarding Dimitri Soudas. Rumor at the moment is that they are no longer a couple.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Well, we won't know for sure until he takes a sad picture with a puppy.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Oh, she's Dimitri Soudas' wife (or ex or whatever)? Well... hardly a clean catch for the Liberals.

In fact the very-cynical side of me almost expects this to be a Con ploy. Candidate involved in high-profile scandals about to blow up, so have her publicly switch teams and be welcome in the enemy camp, then when the shit hits the fan it smears the other side instead of your own.

The truth is probably a much simpler "she saw poll numbers switching back to the Red side and jumped ships" though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Word on the twitters is that the CPC was not going to allow her to run in the upcoming election.

• Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    And of course the Liberals now have the conundrum of figuring out where to put her since most nomination races are done in her neck of the woods.

• Options
    According to CTV News on TV right now, Soudas is still a team with Adams, and he's switching over with her. Not as an MP, but as a keeper of Conservative secrets, which could give the Liberals an edge over Harper in the election. CTV political analyst even suggested that getting these secrets is the real reason Trudeau welcomed Adams in.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It makes sense honestly. Eve Adams comes with a fair bit of baggage, so it doesn't really make sense to take her unless there's something to sweeten the deal.

• Options
    Soo.... vote NDP?

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    Soo.... vote NDP?

Vote for whoever can defeat the Conservative in your riding. ABC.

sig.gif