Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Again, my original grievance was Quebec being counted as the only non-conservative province when three others weren't conservative either, and when those same three had been non-conservative for years while Quebec was busy voting for the fucking BQ.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Oh. I thought you were literally saying the exact opposite (or was that someone else?), which is why I did that counting in the first place.

---

On some random notes of interest:

Chris Brown cancels Toronto concert because of ‘immigration issues’ - not how I thought the legislation allowing the government to block entry from convicted felons was going to be applied.

Conservatives want to limit testimony in study of terror bill - Apparently if we don't pass the new terrorism bill RIGHT FUCKING NOW, the terrorists win!

Tory MPP Rick Nicholls says he doesn’t believe in evolution - Following Wynne's verbal smackdown at Queen's Park, PCs continue to dig themselves into a deeper hole.

Edit: Hilariously, in the print version of the last article (or it's predecessor on Tuesday anyways), they quote one of the protesters at Queen's Park who supported McNaughton:
    A Toronto mother at the demonstration blamed Wynne for the changes. "She's a dictator. She's forcing her lifestyle down our children's throats," said Iola Fortino, who described herself as a staunch Catholic.

"We're going to have little minions, little lesbian and homosexual minions... it's grooming children for sex... grooming them to change their identity to become homosexuals," said Fortino.

I'm not sure why that was excised from the electronic version, but ... man, I don't know if that was the Star filtering for the worst possible comments, or if they just got super lucky/unlucky. I can just imagine the reporter's face as they're interviewing this woman.

hippofant on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I'm fully willing to drop what I'm going on about right now. Misunderstandings happen, and I know most of us in this thread agree on politics much more often than we disagree. The Atlantic provinces are definitely better represented here than on the actual national political stage. I frequently enjoy discussing Canadian politics with the lot of you, and I know many non-Atlantic Canadians in this thread have expressed legitimate interest in issues relating to the Atlantic provinces many times.

The current Tory terrorist bill, as pointed out several people including @hippofant, is absolutely much more pressing a concern. The current CPC government is probably one of the most embarrassing occurrences that we as a nation will have to make up for. The damage they've done to our national reputation on the world stage is ridiculous.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    You can get minions in new sex ed?

Guess it's time to become a parent, make a minion recruiter.

Lucid on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    hippofant wrote: »
    I'm not sure why that was excised from the electronic version, but ... man, I don't know if that was the Star filtering for the worst possible comments, or if they just got super lucky/unlucky. I can just imagine the reporter's face as they're interviewing this woman.

Iola Fortino was already known as a go to person for reporters if you want to get a quote from your average crazy social conservative. She unsuccessfully ran for a seat on the Toronto Catholic Distict School Board back in 2012 and her primary hobbies are basically social conservatism and disrupting municipal meetings. She's the same "lady" who had to be removed from the mayoral debates by police. She was also heavily involved in Ford Nation stuff.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I love how Kathleen Wynne is the go-to person for opponents to blame for the new sex ed curriculum, something I doubt she had any direct input into. At least Fortino is honest about her prejudice, while I've heard a lot of other people dance around it.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    That fucker represents me in Queen's Park.

So now the locals are applauding him for 'standing up for core values'

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Check it out, a program that helps to reduce recidivism and improves public safety, and actually saves as much if not more than it costs, is being cut, because it isn't "tough on crime"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sex-crime-prevention-program-cut-by-ottawa-1.2979196

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Fan-fucking-tastic.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Completely unsurprising and totally in character for this government

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    We need more crimes if we are to justify the tough-on-crime budgets and policy changes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    We need more crimes if we are to justify the tough-on-crime budgets and policy changes.

The Conservative Party doesn't need silly things like "facts" or "statistics" to justify its ideology

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    quovadis13 wrote: »

The Conservative Party doesn't need silly things like "facts" or "statistics" to justify its ideology

In fact, they're doing their best to remove these things from everywhere they can. People can't use science and logic to point out flaws in their plans if the facts don't exist to show they're wrong! :-/

El Skid on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Check it out, a program that helps to reduce recidivism and improves public safety, and actually saves as much if not more than it costs, is being cut, because it isn't "tough on crime"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sex-crime-prevention-program-cut-by-ottawa-1.2979196

i love this
    Our government believes that dangerous sex offenders belong behind bars. That is why we have put forward a number of important measures to ensure our streets and communities are safe,

In other words, "Our government believes that sex offenders should act out and commit crimes instead of getting treatment. This ensures out streets and communities are safe through magic."

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

With this new push to remove parole from life sentences, why not just kill them? It would have to be cheaper than a life behind bars. Can anyone look at the American system and think that works? (I mean, anyone who doesn't run a for profit prison.)

Then Harper could be super macho about his tough on crime stance.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    With this new push to remove parole from life sentences, why not just kill them? It would have to be cheaper than a life behind bars. Can anyone look at the American system and think that works? (I mean, anyone who doesn't run a for profit prison.)

Then Harper could be super macho about his tough on crime stance.

Actually, it's not cheaper, it's WAY more expensive.
    Also I don't particularly trust the government with executing people.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that wasn't a serious suggestion. :-p

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    I thought it was serious too at first, but rereading it yeah, that part wasn't serious.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I should have put in the part where they could have Harper shoot them on the lawn of Parliament with a six shooter.

• Options

York U's also on strike!

None of you care! But I've been running social media for the union all day, so here, have some union propaganda: https://www.reddit.com/r/UofT/comments/2xyb6p/cupe_3902_unit_1_strike_megafaqthread_for_ugs/

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

York U's also on strike!

None of you care! But I've been running social media for the union all day, so here, have some union propaganda: https://www.reddit.com/r/UofT/comments/2xyb6p/cupe_3902_unit_1_strike_megafaqthread_for_ugs/

Of course it is.

• Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular

York U's also on strike!

I've been following along. I'm a CS PhD student at Queen's and your rundown of the problems your department has been facing is depressingly familiar.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    So, here in AB, the premier says that the reason the budget is messed up is not because the government spent all its money and didn't bother trying to tax companies or plan for lower oil prices or anything like that -- it's actually all the people's fault. Twitter is having fun with it.
    Speaking on CBC's Alberta@Noon Wednesday, Premier Jim Prentice told host Donna McElligott that "in terms of who is responsible, we need only look in the mirror. Basically, all of us have had the best of everything and have not had to pay for what it costs."

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    So, here in AB, the premier says that the reason the budget is messed up is not because the government spent all its money and didn't bother trying to tax companies or plan for lower oil prices or anything like that -- it's actually all the people's fault. Twitter is having fun with it.
    Speaking on CBC's Alberta@Noon Wednesday, Premier Jim Prentice told host Donna McElligott that "in terms of who is responsible, we need only look in the mirror. Basically, all of us have had the best of everything and have not had to pay for what it costs."

Hahahahahahaha..... no.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Well technically it is my fault since I voted for the jackasses in the last provincial election, in the hopes of preventing the Wild Rose from running away with the election.

Luckily I can learn from my mistakes. Thanks Mr. Prentice, you have provided truly sage advice.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

York U's also on strike!

I've been reading what you wrote and I wish you luck and perseverance :)

However, I'd like you to address a comment from that piece you linked:
    Q: How bad can this get?
    A: There is no real limit on how bad this could get, if the university and the union simply remain at odds, and the province refuses to intervene.
    Can we expect to see you lead a rebel group and carry out a successful coup attempt on the 6 o'clock news, and if yes, will you then be a kind and merciful king, or a harsh and cruel tyrant?

notdroid on
  • Options
    Did a conservative premier just say "Well, what do you expect to happen when we don't pay enough taxes?" :o

I'm guessing there is some other meaning or he meant to use other words or something, but I just can't see what else he could possibly have been saying...

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Well technically it is my fault since I voted for the jackasses in the last provincial election, in the hopes of preventing the Wild Rose from running away with the election.

Luckily I can learn from my mistakes. Thanks Mr. Prentice, you have provided truly sage advice.

This is all on you.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yeah the one time I vote PC, and they just fuck it all up.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Sounds like American poliics... Only two parties have a chance of winning, but your choice is between fucking everything up, or fucking everything up worse.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Well, except there is only one party that has a chance of winning, now

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    notdroid wrote: »

York U's also on strike!

I've been reading what you wrote and I wish you luck and perseverance :)

However, I'd like you to address a comment from that piece you linked:
    Q: How bad can this get?
    A: There is no real limit on how bad this could get, if the university and the union simply remain at odds, and the province refuses to intervene.
    Can we expect to see you lead a rebel group and carry out a successful coup attempt on the 6 o'clock news, and if yes, will you then be a kind and merciful king, or a harsh and cruel tyrant?

I offered a disgruntled UG to be our Philosopher King, and (s)he accepted, so signs point to yes.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Go go Alain!

Also, I respect your right not to speak to the media, but goddamn, please get a good lawyer. We need you to win this one for us.

• Options

Go go Alain!

Also, I respect your right not to speak to the media, but goddamn, please get a good lawyer. We need you to win this one for us.

I'm not optimistic. I mean, border services already have the right to ask you to unlock and open your luggage. Unlocking your phone seems like an extension of that power into 21st century reality, rather than a new power.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'd argue that electronics are both more personal and the privacy of which is more important to who you are as a person than the contents of your luggage though, and I hope that could be enough to keep them private.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    The other part is that it's basically like forcing you to testify against yourself which they are not allowed to do.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    I'd argue that electronics are both more personal and the privacy of which is more important to who you are as a person than the contents of your luggage though, and I hope that could be enough to keep them private.
    I don't see it as more personal than a suitcase full of family mementos and sexy underwear, or more important than the content of a work briefcase full of confidential contracts and personnel files.
    The other part is that it's basically like forcing you to testify against yourself which they are not allowed to do.
    I've never heard that argument wrt the content of phones before. Is that a legal precedent?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I don't see it as more personal than a suitcase full of family mementos and sexy underwear, or more important than the content of a work briefcase full of confidential contracts and personnel files.
    I've never heard that argument wrt the content of phones before. Is that a legal precedent?

There currently is not a legal precedent in Canada which is why this case will be particularly interesting. The issue is not so much about what's on the phone but rather the part about being compelled to enter or give your password. If your phone doesn't have a password, then they can probably go through your phone all they want. But on what grounds are they allowed to require you to input the password? Especially without a warrant.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman