Options

Basements and Skeletons, a PnP Thread Without Alliteration

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I would really love to play Pendragon sometime

It's a very good system

simple and quite deadly, which I like

Pendragon is probably one of the best designed games for doing exactly what it wants to do

And as a RP setting it's really cool

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I would really love to play Pendragon sometime

It's a very good system

simple and quite deadly, which I like

Pendragon is probably one of the best designed games for doing exactly what it wants to do

And as a RP setting it's really cool

Have you ever heard of Harnmaster? It's a got a similar vibe to the system and I've been very fond of it.

• Options
    Heard of it, never played it though

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    how big is size 18? like, Shaq big or tall for a lady big?

• Options
    It was actually the first RPG I ever played, in a campaign my Dad was running. It's a very low-magic system, and most of your party are going to be fairly regular people (soldiers, militia, tradesmen, maybe a knight or monk or two).

But the combat has this real vicious lethality to it, and it's pretty clear that the system was originally based on wargaming.

The idea is that when you make an attack, you and your target both pick an attack/defence type. Could be a counterattack, a block, a parry, a dodge. You might be aiming high, or low.

Then you roll your skills and compare, and whether you get a success or fail (and major or minor) gets compared on a little table (which is very quick to do) and then you see if you hit or not.

Then you roll d100 and there's another little table for what part of the body you hit. Feet, arms, thorax, neck, face etc

Armour covers different parts of the body, see, so damage is reduced depending on how good it is where you hit. And then once you've got the damage you see what you've done.

Most of the time you're chopping of limbs or gouging out eyes or whatever. It gets very messy, very quickly.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

The size is basically the same for both men and women, so a size 18 lady is meant to be the same sort of build as a size 18 man (however you choose to interpret it in terms of your mental image of that).

18 is pretty close to as big as you can get.

• Options
    edited February 2015

Well 18 is the maximum you can have in that stat

She was described to me as several inches past 6" which for a woman in late 400s AD Britain is fucking huge

Solar on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    wait why does late 400s britain have knights in it

shouldn't you all be like, celtic tribesmen and druids and out-of-work legionnaires and shit

• Options

She was described to me as several inches past 6" which for a woman in late 400s AD Britain is fucking huge

to be fair, that would be huge by today's standards too.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Well it's Arthurian

we have keeps too, I think, and they sure as hell aren't around in AD 400

I mean Knights do kind of sort of maybe a bit exist, in that there was still an established warrior/ruler class in a kind of proto-feudal heirarchy, they weren't called Knights, but then they didn't speak English either. And the King before Uther (the current King) was a Roman, I think? We are all indeed Cymric rather than Saxons (who we hate, fucking Saxons).

Solar on
  • Options
    I mean it's not historically accurate is it

It's all a bit mythical

pretty sure Griffons aren't real either but we still killed one recently

• Options
    Spill the blood of the Saxon men.

• Options
    There's no Saxon specific racial slurs that I am aware of

Tempted to come up with a couple though, since we do all hate the Saxons so much

everyone gets a 3D6 hatred (saxons) passion automatically and we, as a group, are notably anti-saxon

the aforementioned size 18 appearance 25 lady knight got a 17 or something so yeah she's saxon-killin' wild

• Options

to be fair, that would be huge by today's standards too.

yeah

I have always had a bit of a thing for tall women, I confess

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    The late roman empire had knights as well, just different than what we think of as high middle ages knights.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Yeah Arthurian legend is all a bit mixed up in its modern incarnations.

But it's not meant to be historically accurate, since it's mythology after all.

• Options
    as much as i love Christopher Lee, that video is real bad.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    My 13th age game has reached its second phase. The Kobold army has been defeated, the Diabolist plot to take over the Realm Defenses (*pushes the Scarlet Empress into a closet*) foiled.

The Realm Defenses were blood attuned to the Archmage and the Emperor. The Big Bad was a sorceress daughter of the Diabolist and the Archmage, and one player is the daughter of the Emperor and the Elf Queen. So basically, in my campaign, every male Icon is a massive horndog with more bastards than a British court.

Of course, when the Big Bad died midway through corrupting the Realm Defenses, the player stepped in...and the entire North has been "corrupted" with the Influence of the Elf Queen. Sylvan glades, romping deer. Just sickening.

So now we have a forming Icon war when the Elf Queen claims her due...the entire north of the empire. If the Legionnaires can't even protect it from kobolds, clearly the Emperor doesn't deserve it.

And in the background is that Banished demon, undying, patient. Waiting. She was a queen once, and she'll be a queen again. Cause ain't nobody seed chaos and opportunity like a gang of player characters. They only need a few nudges in the right direction...

ah man, the kobold army is dead?

that's grim, real grim

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

Tempted to come up with a couple though, since we do all hate the Saxons so much

I wonder if there is any Welsh or Gaelic slur which could qualify, since the English are still called "Saxons" in all surviving Celtic languagues

Platy on
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »
    My 13th age game has reached its second phase. The Kobold army has been defeated, the Diabolist plot to take over the Realm Defenses (*pushes the Scarlet Empress into a closet*) foiled.

The Realm Defenses were blood attuned to the Archmage and the Emperor. The Big Bad was a sorceress daughter of the Diabolist and the Archmage, and one player is the daughter of the Emperor and the Elf Queen. So basically, in my campaign, every male Icon is a massive horndog with more bastards than a British court.

Of course, when the Big Bad died midway through corrupting the Realm Defenses, the player stepped in...and the entire North has been "corrupted" with the Influence of the Elf Queen. Sylvan glades, romping deer. Just sickening.

So now we have a forming Icon war when the Elf Queen claims her due...the entire north of the empire. If the Legionnaires can't even protect it from kobolds, clearly the Emperor doesn't deserve it.

And in the background is that Banished demon, undying, patient. Waiting. She was a queen once, and she'll be a queen again. Cause ain't nobody seed chaos and opportunity like a gang of player characters. They only need a few nudges in the right direction...

ah man, the kobold army is dead?

that's grim, real grim

Most of them ran off, honestly, kobolds being a generally cowardly sort. Once the big lizardmen and the demons that were whipping them into army shape were piles of adventure-sliced gore, the kobolds decided to synergize new business opportunities in a direction away from the PCs.
    Maybe they'll stumble onto a really big patch of newly sprouted magic mushrooms, have a 300-bold strong crazy trip, and establish their own nation in the not-Alaskan wilderness.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I wonder if there is any Welsh or Gaelic slur which could qualify, since the English are still called "Saxons" in all surviving Celtic languagues

"Sassenach" is a Gaelic term for Englishman which derives from "Saxon".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOR_8tLUMTo

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Talking about Harnmaster has me thinking about it again. I've had a lot of fun with it in the past but running a campaign is a lot of work and difficult to improv so I'm usually hesitant to run them.

But I do have quite a few excellent stories from it.

One is from the campaign my Dad ran before I started playing RPGs, so this would be like late 90s? Anyway, the party was tracking down a Nolah- a sort of Harnic Troll- and had followed its trail to what they suspected was its lair. It turned out to be a super old Dwarven mine, complete with an underground blacksmith's workshop (with cunningly hidden, but blocked, vents to the surface). Inside the workshop they found a bunch of old tools and a large jar of what looked suspiciously like urine- probably used for quenching metal. Excitedly they thought it might be Dwarf urine, which they believed could have magical properties, so one of them took it.

A little later as they were delving deeper into the mine they found the main shaft that went straight up/down to the surface/a large cavern below. The character with the urine jar looked down, after they threw a torch down the shaft, and saw the Nolah standing on the far side of a big pool of water at the bottom of the shaft (which wasn't that far down from where they were). The thing about Nolahs is that they have this sort of charm ability they can use on anything they can see or hear, that makes you walk straight to their lair and submit to being eaten.

The Nolah promptly uses this ability on that character, and succeeds. He immediately jumps down the shaft and lands on the small island in the middle of the pool, breaking a leg from the fall. The pain snaps him out of the charm, but the Nolah is already striding across the pool toward him, and they're basically immune to arrows (which the party were trying to hit it with from above while others set up a rope to lower themselves down).

So he does the first thing that comes to mind, and throws the jar of piss at the Nolah's head, hitting it in the eyes. The sudden shock, smell and liquid in its eyes stuns the Nolah long enough for one of the party to get down there and have a go at it. This happens to be the Metal Mage, who has a spell that turns his fist into a metal-like substance, dramatically increasing his melee damage with it. It's basically his go-to weapon. He rolls straight crits against the confused Nolah and basically smashes a hole right through its chest.

Turns out it was just Goat's urine, but that urine sure did save the day.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    The new Netrunner expansion is fuckin' raaaaaad

I started playing a MaxX deck that my friends and I slapped together and its pretty much the best

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I love the position I have left the party in at the end of the last session! They have happened upon the prison of a Prince of Faerie whose captivity is being used to prevent an ancient conqueror from awakening in some manner which they don't really understand yet.

The Prince has managed to trap the party's elf and seems to hate him for being lower class; the dwarf fighter ate the fey's food, which has placed him under an enchantment; the wizard snuck off and got lost in the Prince's scrying halls, where he happened upon a meeting of the thieves' guild leadership in the city the party originally came from. They announced that they have a mysterious new benefactor who has agreed to sell them a bunch of these enchanted masks which makes whoever wears them into a perfect facsimile of the party's rogue, so she can be framed for basically any crime in the Empire. The Prince has started to seem very intent on getting the rogue alone and to have her tell him her name.

Meanwhile the bard managed to bamboozle the Prince into a deal where, if he can go convince the lynch mob who chased them all into the prison in the first place to be trapped there instead of the prince, he will let them all go*. I love being sneaky and underhanded.

*they don't know that there's an asterisk yet, but you know there's gonna be

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Talking about Harnmaster has me thinking about it again. I've had a lot of fun with it in the past but running a campaign is a lot of work and difficult to improv so I'm usually hesitant to run them.

But I do have quite a few excellent stories from it.

One is from the campaign my Dad ran before I started playing RPGs, so this would be like late 90s? Anyway, the party was tracking down a Nolah- a sort of Harnic Troll- and had followed its trail to what they suspected was its lair. It turned out to be a super old Dwarven mine, complete with an underground blacksmith's workshop (with cunningly hidden, but blocked, vents to the surface). Inside the workshop they found a bunch of old tools and a large jar of what looked suspiciously like urine- probably used for quenching metal. Excitedly they thought it might be Dwarf urine, which they believed could have magical properties, so one of them took it.

A little later as they were delving deeper into the mine they found the main shaft that went straight up/down to the surface/a large cavern below. The character with the urine jar looked down, after they threw a torch down the shaft, and saw the Nolah standing on the far side of a big pool of water at the bottom of the shaft (which wasn't that far down from where they were). The thing about Nolahs is that they have this sort of charm ability they can use on anything they can see or hear, that makes you walk straight to their lair and submit to being eaten.

The Nolah promptly uses this ability on that character, and succeeds. He immediately jumps down the shaft and lands on the small island in the middle of the pool, breaking a leg from the fall. The pain snaps him out of the charm, but the Nolah is already striding across the pool toward him, and they're basically immune to arrows (which the party were trying to hit it with from above while others set up a rope to lower themselves down).

So he does the first thing that comes to mind, and throws the jar of piss at the Nolah's head, hitting it in the eyes. The sudden shock, smell and liquid in its eyes stuns the Nolah long enough for one of the party to get down there and have a go at it. This happens to be the Metal Mage, who has a spell that turns his fist into a metal-like substance, dramatically increasing his melee damage with it. It's basically his go-to weapon. He rolls straight crits against the confused Nolah and basically smashes a hole right through its chest.

Turns out it was just Goat's urine, but that urine sure did save the day.

I see that party had a jarate master in it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    So, I played my first tabletop RPG pretty recently. It was always something I wanted to try, but I could never assemble the right number/sort of people to make it happen until recently. We played Pathfinder. It was really fun!

The problem is that I know very little about systems in general from a big-picture POV, but I am also really inspired and really stupid. I want to run a game and in the midst of my enthusiasm I think I started to build a whole system that's basically an amalgamation of a bunch of other things. It's insane, and I am losing my mind, but my dying act will be the creation of my opus, so help me god.

signature.png

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Wizard Boarding School!

Last time: I got kidnapped! I almost rescued myself! It turned out really poorly! (there's now a major antagonist with a direct link to my mind)

This time: In an effort to foster a fun and lighthearted attitude for a story arc, the would-be necromancy breakfast club is asked to leave the school and go on vacation while the school officials try and reassess what exactly they're going to do with us. And on vacation we went. On our first day, we lost two of our members (the criminal and the basketcase) to parts unknown, and thus our one Warden chaperone left the other four of us to our own devices while he went out searching the town. It was then decided we would go to the zoo. Unfortunately one of our number is not too happy with the rest of the group currently and refused to go with us, even though the bound spirit of her childhood friend begged her to go.

So we did what all good aspiring necromancers would do: we took the bound spirit and slapped it in an ectoplasmic construct body so she could come to the zoo with us! Hooray!

We then promptly lost her at the zoo.

Much fun was had searching the city for a runaway ghost in a temporary body, but the adventure led into some very drama filled scenes that hopefully restored some cohesion to the party as a whole. (I had party members throwing Fate Chips at me to compel my character to mend fences. Having "Trying to be the good guy" as a Trouble has been one of my better decisions overall)

And then later that night the party went out drinking - which eventually turned into a bar fight with a big douchebag named Chad. Chad got his ass kicked and we were awarded a free round of drinks! (Who knew that calling someone a Nazi in a German bar could turn out so badly? Apparently not Chad) Then we were asked to leave because there was blood all over the floor. Oh well.

Probably the shortest session we've had in months, but a lot of fun nonetheless. I foresee a lot more dubious necromantic activities in the future, which should only increase the fun. Now I just gotta convince the stubborn half of the party that the dark side is totally cool and not really as dark as people make it out to be, you know?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    ugh, interruptions and delays to game suck the most.

I have already forgotten nearly everything about the campaign beyond it being cold outside and my guy has a musket.

That's it. That's my knowledge going back in after a couple of weeks out.

I need to start keeping much more detailed notes to solve this kind of problem.

• Options
    Hmm. I'm looking to run a small play by post Exalted game for some friends. (The setting, not the system. Good god, we'd never get out of the tavern). However, the game is set in the West, and we have a mix of male and female characters.

How do you guys handle the core book version of what amounts to strong sexism? I don't want to grind my players with "You have a vagina, shut up and make babies!" I've got Fox News for that. But there might be good drama in forcing them to stand up to societal expectations and push through them.

Maybe set up a token Asshole Misogynist for them to serve in appropriately epic fashion? Or re-enact the scene from Mulan where they pretend to be courtesans to infiltrate the palace? (Be a man, swift as the coursing river!)

• Options
    The new Ex3 system sounds pretty good

I am actually really excited for Ex3

As for how you deal with gender, well, I'd ask the players if they want gender inequality to be something their characters have to deal with first

• Options
    The players are fine with dealing with the various 'isms, in general. I just want it to be engaging and not depressing.

Wait, what am I even doing? I should just steal the plot to Hourou Musuko.
    Girl: "Screw this jewelry crap, I wanna sail!"
    Boy: "Screw this boat stuff, I want to be a goldsmith!"

Then throw in some disapproving social figures and make the PCs work it out.

• Options
    Don't stronghand it

Have NPCs who disapprove, but don't have them descend into rants

Also don't bring it up at every corner, adventurers are scary, some peasant on the street is sure as hell not going to make a ruckus

• Options
    If they are Solar Exalted then they make regular adventurers look like your average five year old

What with carrying swords around 6 feet long and 6 inches wide

Trouble is that then you start getting noticed and then Wild Hunts start turning up and, well

that's not good

• Options
    In most settings, adventurers are people who live outside "normal" society anyway and who are foreigners where they go

Most people would probably not care if adventurers stick to gender roles

• Options
    I think I'm going to alter the setting of the West to make the Wavecrest Isles the site of a proxy war between Houses V'neef and Peleps. Peleps was there first, but V'neef is up and coming. Trade routes and politics are the major ways they fence, trying to bring the West "properly into the fold". Meanwhile, the deathland will be less aggressive than in setting...while quietly influencing the ley lines and spiritual landscape to revolve around its necrotic seat.

As far as the gender issues, I'll take two young nobles of the Houses. Boy and girl, both of which hate their given roles. The boy with no interest in running a navy and the girl who is sick to death of carving shells. Dip them in plot sauce with information about the House in-fighting and let the PCs decide how much they want to deal with the sexism angle versus rolling on with the plot.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Time for another Harnmaster story, this time from the first campaign I played in. I'll give some context first, though.

I was like 15 at the time, so Dad went through all of character gen with me. The fun thing about Harn character generation is that you can do everything completely random (there's a little table for everything) and that you're rolling up your character's history as much as anything else. Your clan and your relation to the head of your clan is very important, so you roll up all that as well.

But, of course, in a trend that continues today I managed to roll a 99 on d100 when rolling for race and wound up with Sindarin- the Harnic elves- which is super rare. But Dad decided to roll with it, since having a Sindarin travelling in human lands isn't very difficult since they can disguise themselves easily. Harnic elves are actually shorter than humans and don't have pointy ears. They just have a strange ethereal look to them and are universally very attractive. And their society is all different etc.

As we get further into character gen I ended up rolling something else very rare- my character had magical potential. Dad wasn't sure about having 2 Mages in the party (I was joining the existing party, which had the Metal Mage still) but since the other guy was basically a fighter with some neat tricks and super blacksmithing he figured it'd be okay.

The thing about magic in Harn is that it's both very rare but also very potent, but often in a very subtle way. Anyone who has read the Earthsea series should be able to grasp that sort of magic- you're often manipulating things in ways that aren't very obvious, but can have incredibly powerful effects. The catch, though, is that casting spells literally drains your life force (manifesting in generating fatigue points for your character, which is potentially lethal during a battle), and not all the magical disciplines have spells that are particularly combat-friendly, either.

I ended up picking Peleahn, the fire discipline. Even though my character was a bit older and more learned than usual starting characters (there's rules for aging your characters during character gen to give them better skills) I still only had two skills that were at all "damage spells". One summoned little balls of ethereal fire I could hurl at people, which didn't actually burn their bodies but rather their spirits, resulting in a shock roll (which can render a target unconscious).

The other spell, Sea of Fire, was one I basically had as an ace up my sleeve. It conjures up a big circle of corporeal fire that engulfs and area over time. Basically like a traditional Fire Wall spell, except it's a 100ft radius circle. It, along with the high level Peleahn spell that turns a fire into a fire elemental are probably the two least subtle spells in Harn.

So the party is all together and travelling further into the inland areas of Harn near the big central lake, looking for an old fortress said to have some ancient dwarven artefacts in it. We're all on horses, heading down a road in a heavily wooded area, when we see a group of horsemen, maybe two dozen, come out of the trees along the roadside ahead of us. They start riding down the road, slowly, toward us and our party leader (the only Knight in the group) calls for us to turn and ride back the way we can at full speed.

That's when the arrows start coming in.

There's a group of archers somewhere off in the woods to our right as we turn, and their first volley lands right amongst us. Most of the party are seasoned veterans so they have a quick enough response to raise their shields, but two arrows find their marks. One in the shoulder of another character, and one deep in my thigh (it was a bad wound). That hurts like hell and gives me a bunch of penalties right away, as Harn injuries do. Their second volley doesn't manage to hit any of us, as the one arrow that would've struck me that time was burnt to a cinder by a quick flame ward I threw up.

Then things go from bad to worse as another group of riders, about a dozen, come out from the trees behind us and charge us. I'm already slowing my horse as it's nearly panicking and my riding skill leaves much to be desired compared to the rest of the party, as is the Monk we have with us. The rest of the party ride ahead and there's a mounted combat clash that results in a couple of minor injuries for us and 5 dead or badly wounded enemies. But that's slowed us down, I've failed a ride check that's slowing me down even more, and the first group of horsemen are starting to gain on us.

With wounded members of the party, and fresh riders bound to catch us soon, I decide to pull that ace out and see how things go. Part of my character's gear is an elemental foci, which boosts my skill when I cast spells it is attuned to, and a 'jorum' a sort of small object that acts as a container for magical energy (allowing me to drain it instead of my fatigue), so he taps into both of them, turns in the saddle (another ride check, this one I barely pass) and casts the spell.

And I roll a Major Success. The effect of that on a spell varies from spell to spell, but in this case it doubles the fatigue drain and doubles the radius of the sea of fire that is summoned.

The problem is that I'm low on fatigue, my foci burns out when I get a Major Success with it, and the doubled fatigue cost of the spell puts me on 1 single remaining fatigue point. Oh, and the radius of the sea of fire is now double the range at which I cast it, so I'm going to be engulfed in it unless I can get my horse to go to a full gallop and get out in time.

So I roll another fatigue check, and pass it by 2, and then pass a ride check! That allows me to speed up and avoid the fire, barely.

The archers and all the horsemen though? Dead dead dead. And I've left a smouldering circle in the middle of a forest (the fire doesn't spread further than the radius of the spell). As soon as we get about a mile down the road we stop and check wounds, and my character just passes out as they lift him off his horse.

The whole event was incredibly tense as Dad's sitting there rolling dice and going through everything with me as things get more and more pear shaped and the rest of the group (all guys my Dad's age) are cheering me on. There was actual cheering when I rolled that ride check and got out safely. A pretty good feeling for a 15 year old.

EDIT: actually, I was a bit older, just thinking on it.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    In most settings, adventurers are people who live outside "normal" society anyway and who are foreigners where they go

Most people would probably not care if adventurers stick to gender roles

Oh, the people probably care they just are no where near brave enough to bring it up to the incredibly scary people who take up adventuring for a living.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    There are also some of those people who don't care if you're adventurer.

Who cares if he killed a dragon bigger than my house. That belt with those shoes? Someone is gunna get stabbed my friend.

• Options
    Don't stronghand it

Have NPCs who disapprove, but don't have them descend into rants

Also don't bring it up at every corner, adventurers are scary, some peasant on the street is sure as hell not going to make a ruckus

Yeah this has been my method for the Eclipse Phase campaign I'm running. There's several characters who break the gender binary, and I thought it would be interesting to give the players and opportunity to examine that and how intolerance of such things occurs in our society today. So a few occurrences here and there, and never anything substantial, have proved to be more than enough to stimulate interesting discussions and roleplaying.

This discussion has been closed.