Options

Basements and Skeletons, a PnP Thread Without Alliteration

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Let me know when you get a more concrete date, so I can make sure to buy the books I'll need and stuff.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I have too many people in my RPG group right now. I really need to figure out a way to shrink it, it's getting ridiculous and way too messy to do stuff like combats and tense sequences in any reasonable amount of time.

But they're all my friends, and I like playing with all of them! It's a real damn shame.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Split them into two tables?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Split them into two tables?

We definitely don't have enough space to do two at once, and weekend timeslots are at a premium with a couple of weddings and babies on the way. Mostly I'm just hoping for attrition to take its toll.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I started my first in-person DnD group in, like, five years?

I'm DM'ing a Pathfinder adventure path (Reign of Winter) for two of my friends from work and one of their girlfriends. They went with druid, bard and a two-handed-weapon fighter. I let them choose the high-fantasy point buy option, gave them an extra feat (that they had to justify via roleplay) and will be giving them the max possible HP per level up to try and balance the game for a three-person party. So far it's working pretty well, and they had fun. The first session was pretty combat-heavy, but it was a good way to figure out if they were at the right power level. The druid is doing well with healing and support (and their bear is a decent damage-dealer, if fairly fragile), the bard took good crowd-control spells (he got a pretty clutch sleep off and totally shut down a caster), and the fighter fucking murders everyone. Seriously, she is really good at killing things, and everyone really enjoyed the ways I described her finishing moves.

It's really relaxing to DM a game for people who want to go on adventure and want to play along with the narrative hooks and are more concerned with having some fun together than being the best at math.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    man, i wish i had the problem of too many friends to play dnd with.

that seems like a good problem to have.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    There's about a dozen people in our group, but there's usually 2-3 different games going on with different DMs, so you tend to kind of pick and choose which campaigns you want to get in on so most games only have 4-7 people involved. It also helps that there are a couple people who mostly DM, a couple more who DM fairly regularly, and a couple more who DM every now and then, so about the half the group spends at least some time behind the DM screen.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    i just want to fight monsters and do cool stuff with people i know.

and if able, kill a dragon and then get a bunch of items made from the dragon.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My Exalted is going swimmingly and I shall post some highlights at some point. But last session, the Night and Dawn fought a Tyrant Lizard, with the Night doing a load of deadly shadow nerve strikes on it, and then the Dawn putting his axe into it's skull and smashing it through a tree

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    i just want to fight monsters and do cool stuff with people i know.

and if able, kill a dragon and then get a bunch of items made from the dragon.

If you ain't stripping a dragon down for parts then you are not doing it right.

Ugh, I had to trade my artificer's nonmagical blue dragon cloak to a half-fiend plague orcs daughter as a gift so we could duel the guy according to their strange plague orc code. At least I still have the Lightning Bolt wand I crafted out of his bones and a conductive crystal I found in his lair.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    This system has rocketed its way up the ranking of my all-time favorites simply by dint of how it manages to feel like the thing it's supposed to be with every single roll. Instead of an endless succession of "you miss," "you hit," "you succeed," "you fail", it's lots and lots of "you succeed but OH SHIII-" or "you miss but HAHAHA THE WALL BEHIND HIM EXPLODES" and that wouldn't be appropriate for every genre or setting but it is 100% Star Wars.

I agree completely. In the first session I ran (this week) I threw in a simple combat with street thugs to help people get used to it. One player used Misdirect to sneak behind the rival, who was focusing on the guy with a training saber. Next turn she flubbed her attack roll, narrated as the rival stepping backwards because he didn't know she was there and stumbling into her, ruining the shot. Then the Rival shot at the saber-user, succeeded with a despair so it changed to him falling over after stumbling, but getting a lucky shot off as he fell.

Meanwhile the minion group hadn't taken much damage but one was disarmed and had just seen the leader get knocked out so when someone failed with a triumph, and the minion group was up next, his attacked missed because the minions had already started to run away.

The system is great because it allows for a ton of narrative freedom while still having some useful structure around it that some other storytelling systems, like FATE, lack.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Welp I bought the 5E PHB.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Uriel wrote: »

I honestly enjoy a lot of things about 5E. It's biggest failing is probably the Monster Manual more than anything, so good choice!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

I honestly enjoy a lot of things about 5E. It's biggest failing is probably the Monster Manual more than anything, so good choice!

Hmm what's wrong with the new monster manual?

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

Hmm what's wrong with the new monster manual?

It's boring! Very few monsters have exciting features that are fun to play against, and while Legendary and Lair actions are great, there's not enough of them and especially for dragons the Legendary Actions get pretty repetitive.

Plus an absurd shortage of certain creature types, like Fey.

It's nothing that can't be fixed with a little elbow grease, but it's not as good as it could be.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    baseball highlights 2045 is a fuckin' hoot, boardgames thread

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Well with a title like that how could it not be?

(what's the game about?)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Tomanta wrote: »
    The system is great because it allows for a ton of narrative freedom while still having some useful structure around it that some other storytelling systems, like FATE, lack.

This, to me, is the key element. For an action game (like Star Wars, or D&D, or whatever) going "roll the dice and we can pretend that your character did something cool even though it makes no difference" is not satisfying to me, but on the other hand I actively loathe systems where whenever you try to do something fun - like Legolas skating down some stairs on a shield - it opens the door to ten minutes of math and a bunch of DC 30 balance checks and at the end you're just like fuck it I move and attack.

Edge of the Empire gives you meaningful tactical options - your choices as a player actually affect how well your character performs - but at the same time those dice symbols give you permission to add cool elements (like the NPC tripping into the party member) that would be a staggering pain in the ass to model in a purely physics-based system.

• Options
    edge of the empire sounds neat, and i just notice it exists on a bookshelf here. I might have to give it a read one day.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I wish someone was running a TMNT game.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

what if, instead, you were a warrior in a fantasy world that fought a dragon? possibly in a dungeon.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

what if, instead, you were a warrior in a fantasy world that fought a dragon? possibly in a dungeon.

You lost me

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

You lost me

alright, so instead fo being a mutant teen, you're a human adult, and instead of living in the sewers of new york, you live in above ground not-europe, and instead of combating the foot clan, you fight orcs.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny (the same game but in three different versions, like Pokémon X/Y)

s-l300.jpg

ugnh

so jealous

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Hey guys how would any of you all feel about a skype game of dungeons and dragons starting in like April or something? Maybe monthly or twice monthly?

I still have to pick up the 5E books and do some further reaserch into how I'd get it all setup but like, I've got an INTENSE DESIRE to roll some dice.

I don't post much but since my old dnd group of about 5 sessions fell apart after I moved i'd be super interested

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    I really want to run a game set during the 30 Years War

But what? hmmmm

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    WFRP.

You've got all of the misery of the 30 years war plus giant rat-men and the ever present threat of turning into a tentacle creature.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    GURPS!

• Options
    WFRP is a fantasy setting, though

I want the actual 30 Years War, potentially with something thrown in there though

perhaps Mage? Hmmm

• Options
    Even if you decide not to use GURPS, there might be some useful things in here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS_Swashbucklers

• Options
    GURPS is a decent enough system

but I don't really know it too well

if it's 30 years war though I need a system which will do violence, well

it being a time of hideous, hideous violence

• Options
    I once had a friend who played Rolemaster and I heard it's very violent and deadly, with specific injuries inflicted in combat and those injuries can result in lasting penalties

But it's also very table-heavy, as you might expect

• Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Hey guys how would any of you all feel about a skype game of dungeons and dragons starting in like April or something? Maybe monthly or twice monthly?

I still have to pick up the 5E books and do some further reaserch into how I'd get it all setup but like, I've got an INTENSE DESIRE to roll some dice.

I don't post much but since my old dnd group of about 5 sessions fell apart after I moved i'd be super interested

I have no experience with 5E whatsoever, but I'm willing to give it a go if you get it off the ground

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Botznoy wrote: »

I would be in, but since I get a lot of gaming on the regular I will gladly cede my spot to someone else if it fills up!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    For a less mechanically crunchy way of doing The Thirty Years War that would still be (potentially) brutal and harrowing, you could look into using some horror based systems to run the game

• Options
    Okay cool, @Botznoy @Rainfall @Moriveth @DaMoonRulz and @Melding

That sounds like a pretty good number of players. If you could all PM me with times of week/day that would work for you keeping in mind I'm hoping to actually start around the beginning of April so I can learn to use this Roll20 thing and get some campaign stuff setup.

• Options
    I vote for completely random character generation. Maximum chaos!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    i do not agree with that, though i did suggest we do something like those there games where you roll up random relations to one another so that everyone int he group is connected to one another in some way outside of just "we were all standing in the hallway when goblins attacked so we all got hired by the duke."

• Options
    You guys could use Central Casting!

Roll up a pet elephant or a laser rifle

• Options
    I'm gonna be Helwig the Dwarf, a fighter and Ultimate Warrior. I will be speaking in character.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.