As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I actually had to follow this thread because of how this idea turned from just something people thought was fun to talk about into an actual project in like half a page.

This is awesome, thanks for giving us something to talk about now that the Metroid 2 Remake finished.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    The Metroid thread hasn't been this interesting in years.

edit: Well, over a year.

We have to make our own fun, now.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    The Metroid thread hasn't been this interesting in years.

edit: Well, over a year.

We have to make our own fun, now.

Until Nintendo sends a C&D. No making our own Metroid fun.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The Metroid universe is so poorly defined I don't think I'll have any trouble toeing the line between loving reference and generic space strategy game as long as I don't GODDAMNIT

vmo7i2fiqugy.gif

On a more serious note, I don't expect any trouble. The actual game will be sanitized of references, but there's nothing from stopping me making Metroid fanart that fits in with the actual production assets. AM2R was a completely different scenario.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    There'll be direct threats aside from the Hunter, right? Like attacks from the federation, or maybe common thieves or hackers after your research?

It'd be interesting if you had to decide how to shore up your defenses based on each threat. Like, beefing up your computer security would halt thieves, but it wouldn't slow the Hunter at all.

To slow down the Hunter, have various scannable items around. The Hunter will slow down and painstakingly catalog each one.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    > scan totem

This totem is made from chitin, rock, and carved Foozun.
    The totem depicts the Hunter attacking a Galaxy Corsair base.
    On the totem is a Galaxy Corsair cowering.
    On the totem is a Galaxy Corsair crafting a totem.
    On the totem is the Hunter scanning a totem.

(apologies, it's been so long since I read Dwarf Fortress logs; I've forgotten the way things are described)

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So long as it menaces with spikes of Phazon, you're good.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    As far as base design goes, you could do something like in Evil Genius where if the Hunter can't reach their target (or would have to go through an excessive fight to reach it), they'll just morphball through some tunnel somewhere instead.

Actually, you pretty much are just making an Evil Genius clone, aren't you?

I haven't played it, but from the Wikipedia article it definitely seems like there is a lot of conceptual overlap.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The Varia hoodie returns, and the little Metroid survived the ending of Super too.
    tumblr_odauxkKRfY1vd4k65o1_1280.jpg

The lines
    tumblr_odauxkKRfY1vd4k65o3_1280.png

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Waist seems off?

But that aside it's nice! Keep em coming.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    eUHPADxm.jpg

A doodle of the first thing I thought of when I considered space pirate scientists.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited September 2016
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Every single idea that I can think of to make the game less Metroid-dependent makes the game resemble Evil Genius even further. I guess the key difference is that bases are expected to be expendable, rather than trying to maintain the same one for the whole game.

One semi-Evil Geniusy thing that you could do is have multiple hunters, and have them be killable. Your common troops would be mostly just cannon fodder against an experienced hunter, but you could have the possibility of assigning science-created bosses to bases, which actually would serve as a legitimate challenge. Part of the challenge would be in deciding how to allocate your defenses. Spread everything too thin, and novice hunters could easily tear through your outputs and gain enough experience to be stronger. Turtle up, and you will limit your reach and present easy targets for massive invasions. A lone hunter might be useless against a massive base, but if all your activity is in a single location it'd start being targeted by coordinated attacks involving fleets of enemy ships and multiple hunters at once.

Basically, the goal would be to appear weaker than you actually are, so that attacks won't be able to cripple you even if they're successful. Even when the jig is finally up, you could still set up a convincing final stand involving a ton of cannon fodder troops and obsolete science projects, ending with the base self-destructing, killing most of the attacking troops and maybe even some of the hunters. Meanwhile, all your real work would have already been moved elsewhere.

edit: Hmm, besides killing the attackers, another reason for adding a self-destruct might be to avoid data theft. If attackers clean out a base, they'll then have free access to everything in the local mainframe, which could give away a ton of information about your other bases and projects. You'd still probably lose information due to whatever individual terminal scans the attackers did, but you'd be much safer.

jothki on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Did anyone else expect the middle one to start pick-axing the one next to it?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Sorry for the radio silence. Been buying a house, plus all the work is mostly below-deck at this point.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    No worries. Do what you gotta do, at whatever pace works for you.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah the thing about game design is there is the equivalent of a honeymoon phase where all these new things to show are super exciting, then you actually get to the work part and it is a slow and boring part that has nothing really to talk about.

"I spent 48 hours fixing a bug to make something do something that might be interesting when I get around to coding it" is typically what comes after the first few updates.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The thing about programming is just there's tons of under the hood stuff to do that has no visible effect until it's 80%+ complete.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The thing about programming is just there's tons of under the hood stuff to do that has no visible effect until it's 80%+ complete.

Can confirm.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Progress continues in AM2R. Ran into a couple Gamma Metroids one after the other without getting much health back in between. That second one almost had my number. Got really lost once so far and damn near consulted the internet to figure out how to advance. Thankfully I was able to resist that urge and discover the solution myself. Much satisfy. So Metroid.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    If you want a real challenge, play on Hard. It's disproportionately hard. Especially the Space Jump boss and the Zeta Metroids, although Omega Metroids are easy aftr figuring out their pattern.

The Gammas already got me legit nervous when I find my way into breeding grounds. I hope I got some serious health upgrades before I run into something worse.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    The Gammas already got me legit nervous when I find my way into breeding grounds. I hope I got some serious health upgrades before I run into something worse.

I had to use Bomb Jumping to advance further and get Energy Tanks because the Space Jump boss is way too hard on Hard.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Fed Force update: have definitely reached the point where the chaos and disorganization of playing with randos makes for equivalent difficultly to playing solo. Really wish the friend group play mode was online, not local.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Check out what I made! Disclaimer: I didn't make the pattern. Still, I'm pretty proud of how well I pulled it off.

samusbeads.jpg

Now to find a way to display her... at least some place better than on my horrible table.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfytJmm7Wd8

I don't think this was posted.
    Its pretty long.

Some pretty good quotes though.

"This whole thing is just for some piece of larva?"

Despite having her show up in smash bros and such, most people seem to think Samus is a guy.

Also I learned from watching this that you can morph ball under the statue boss. Hmm.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuck stop reminding me to hate the fact that there hasn't been a worthwhile Prime successor for a zillion years now.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

Its pretty long.

Despite having her show up in smash bros and such, most people seem to think Samus is a guy.

Also I learned from watching this that you can morph ball under the statue boss. Hmm.

Every time they say "Back in the 80s..." like they're talking some kind of prehistoric era, like a knife in the chest. Either that or I need to see a cardiologist because I'm an old.

I usually avoid React videos like the plague, because it's all "oh look how old and crazy this is" but this was definitely wasn't that. Very much a "man, I remember feeling the exact same way when I first played it".

Which is pretty incredible. Super Metroid would still be a great game if it were released today. I mean maybe there's some control/ui tweaks that could improve it, but the core is still rock solid.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I usually avoid React videos like the plague, because it's all "oh look how old and crazy this is" but this was definitely wasn't that. Very much a "man, I remember feeling the exact same way when I first played it".

Which is pretty incredible. Super Metroid would still be a great game if it were released today. I mean maybe there's some control/ui tweaks that could improve it, but the core is still rock solid.

Super Metroid absolutely could do with some control and movement physics tweaks, but yeah, the basic core and area design is still a great one.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Dunno if anyone else preordered the ZSS figma back in June, but I just got an email saying they're shipping on 12/9.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

....ok so now I need to find my Gamecube
    see317 wrote: »

Its pretty long.

Every time they say "Back in the 80s..." like they're talking some kind of prehistoric era, like a knife in the chest. Either that or I need to see a cardiologist because I'm an old.

Every time they say "Back in the 80s" I want to yell "You damn kids it was released almost halfway through the 90s now get off my lawn!"

and then I feel old

but "It's older than me so I don't have to feel bad about not knowing it" was

look, I'm dead

a ghost is typing this now

skeldare wrote: »

....ok so now I need to find my Gamecube
    see317 wrote: »

Its pretty long.

Every time they say "Back in the 80s" I want to yell "You damn kids it was released almost halfway through the 90s now get off my lawn!"

and then I feel old

but "It's older than me so I don't have to feel bad about not knowing it" was

look, I'm dead

a ghost is typing this now

Furthermore, the first thing you see in Super Metroid after the Nintendo logo is the year 1994.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Look, if it's older than I am it's basically not even a game anymore.

ZSS Figma delayed from Dec 8 to just "December". Some kind of defect in preproduction.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    ZSS Figma delayed from Dec 8 to just "December". Some kind of defect in preproduction.

They forgot to mold in the high heels. What a disaster it would have been without those.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

They forgot to mold in the high heels. What a disaster it would have been without those.

Didn't authorize varia suit in heated room and all the plastic melted :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Nobody cared, and it just didn't get made. December will pass without figure or comment being released.