Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
edited June 2017 in Games and Technology
16379332646_9bb35c23ce_o.jpg
METROID
Not an actual Metroid

Samus is awesome. Metroid is awesome. This OP is not.

This is the place to discuss how awesome Metroid is. While there isn't any news about a new game in the series, Nintendo has finally made the "well, DUH" move to allow Metroid Prime Trilogy to be purchased as a downloadable title from the Nintendo eShop. It's currently on sale for $9.99 through 2/5 at 8:59 a.m. PT. Go save about $40 and pick it up.

The series turns 30 next year. If Nintendo has nothing up their sleeve for that anniversary, well ... we can all talk about how stupid that is right here.

Fawst on
lionheart_mKid PresentableAndy JoeMolybdenumcB557AegeriJusticeforPlutoDark Raven XSyphonBlueL Ron Howard38thDoeStormwatcherdarunia106Edith UpwardsStargateJew
«13456787

Posts

  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Bobkins Flymo gave the OK for this new thread. We've been given a second chance. Take that how you will.
    Try not to fuck it up.

    Kid PresentableAndy JoeAegeriMcFlynnLBD_NytetraynFig-DPolaritieL Ron HowardXerinkStormwatcherCurly_Bracedarunia106
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Metroid Prime Trilogy being released on the eShop gives me another chance to actually finish the first two Prime games, maybe.

    The first Prime was the first, for lack of a better term, FPS I'd played in years, so... I wasn't much good at it at the time.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Smash Bros. Wii U did a new version of the classic "Escape" music, which is kind of nuts (but great)

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    KriegaffeCantidocB557
  • StericaSterica When it comes to beauty, I rarely make boasts but I look quite good, compared to your posts!Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2015
    I'm going to save the thread some sanity and just say discussion regarding That One Game is strictly forbidden.

    It's a bad game, and I think we've thoroughly wrung every bit of discussion out of it.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    cloudeagleFawstCantidoAbsoluteZeroNitsuaKing RiptorAvalonGuardDonnictonAistanTurkeyMolybdenumcB557AegeriUndead Scottsmanchiasaur11physi_marcJusticeforPlutoTDawgDrascinDark Raven XitalianranmaPolaritieL Ron HowardGnizmoThe DeliveratorCurly_BraceKai_SanThe Hanged ManShortydarunia106Edith UpwardsDys
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Grabbed Trilogy yesterday. The Wii controls are making a big difference to Prime 1. It feels much more immersive walking and looking around with pointer controls.

    It is messing with the difficulty somewhat. Things that were easy to lock on & shoot now take a bit more co-ordination. It took me forever to get through that first wasp boss.

    However, nailing precise shots from a distance is now possible. The mirrors on the plant boss can be hit from outside lock-on range, for instance.

    Fawst
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm going to save the thread some sanity and just say discussion regarding That One Game is strictly forbidden.

    It's a bad game, and I think we've thoroughly wrung every bit of discussion out of it.

    This is tricky for me since I am not overly familliar with Metroid games. Are we referring to the one with the talking in it? I always thought it was well recieved but as I said, not overly familiar.

    Anywya snapped up the trilogy and cannot wait to play it!

  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Grabbed Trilogy yesterday. The Wii controls are making a big difference to Prime 1. It feels much more immersive walking and looking around with pointer controls.

    It is messing with the difficulty somewhat. Things that were easy to lock on & shoot now take a bit more co-ordination. It took me forever to get through that first wasp boss.

    However, nailing precise shots from a distance is now possible. The mirrors on the plant boss can be hit from outside lock-on range, for instance.

    Someone @Gaf suggested turning off Free Aim for MP1 & 2 and I'd agree. The last bosses certainly were a bit more rough without Auto Lock On. It's doable tho!

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Grabbed Trilogy yesterday. The Wii controls are making a big difference to Prime 1. It feels much more immersive walking and looking around with pointer controls.

    It is messing with the difficulty somewhat. Things that were easy to lock on & shoot now take a bit more co-ordination. It took me forever to get through that first wasp boss.

    However, nailing precise shots from a distance is now possible. The mirrors on the plant boss can be hit from outside lock-on range, for instance.

    Someone @Gaf suggested turning off Free Aim for MP1 & 2 and I'd agree. The last bosses certainly were a bit more rough without Auto Lock On. It's doable tho!

    I'll see how I go. As I said, free aim makes the exploration that much more immersive; looking around, etc. I've finished the game previously so I don't know if I need to beat Ridley and Metroid Prime again. I mainly wan to revisit all the areas.

  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    I swear to god if we don't get a new Metroid soon I'll

    Probably sit here and cry

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    AvalonGuardXerinkBahamutZEROdarunia106
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I didn't have any problems beating the MPT versions of Prime 1 and 2. If anything it was easier, I thought. Prime 2 especially.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I didn't have any problems beating the MPT versions of Prime 1 and 2. If anything it was easier, I thought. Prime 2 especially.

    They toned 2's difficulty down for the trilogy release.

    s7Imn5J.png
    AbsoluteZero
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I think I need to play Super Metroid again.

    AvalonGuardAbsoluteZero
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I didn't have any problems beating the MPT versions of Prime 1 and 2. If anything it was easier, I thought. Prime 2 especially.

    It's just that basic thing of certain enemies could be beaten by lock -> shoot and it was guaranteed hits. For those enemies in MPT, the player needs to get used to centring the pointer after the lock.

    I like the new version more because ultimately it's more control. The lock helps, but on occasion there is a need to shoot slightly off centre. It shows the strength of the original design that a different control is still well supported.

    NitsuaAbsoluteZeroTDawg
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'm still getting used to the controls, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I can't believe how long it's been since Prime and Fusion came out. I still have Prime and Echoes for GC but I'm not hooking that thing up any time soon. Not sure why the Shoot button defaults to A, though. Does anyone use that? I immediately switched it when I realized I could.

    I assume turning off Free Aim means you need to hold a button or something to allow aiming? That might be better for movement...

  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    One thing I did do for MPT was adjust the pointer sensitivity. Slowing it down a little makes precision aiming easier.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Seeing that Samus picture in the OP makes me want a Marvel run Metroid mini series comic.

    Mostly because the armor reminds me of Iron Man's Mark 42 armor.

    FawstPhoenix-D
  • DonnictonDonnicton Hey it's me, your old pal Movie Sonic - let me in. LEMME IN. Registered User regular
    Truly Chozo technology is a wonderful thing to be able to fit her hair in that helmet.

    Linespider5
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    I think I need to play Super Metroid again.

    you should always be playing super metroid

    AvalonGuardFawstZxerol
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Truly Chozo technology is a wonderful thing to be able to fit her hair in that helmet.

    Her whole body fits in a soccer ball, seems like it would be trivial to stuff some hair in a helmet.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    RainfallFawstchiasaur11JusticeforPlutoitalianranmaPolaritieXerinkKristmas KthulhuCurly_BraceShortydarunia106Edith Upwards
  • DonnictonDonnicton Hey it's me, your old pal Movie Sonic - let me in. LEMME IN. Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Truly Chozo technology is a wonderful thing to be able to fit her hair in that helmet.

    Her whole body fits in a soccer ball, seems like it would be trivial to stuff some hair in a helmet.

    She's very flexible. But that doesn't keep hair out of your eyes.

    FawstTDawgitalianranma
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    A nice bonus of playing these on a hard drive is that the load times are reduced even further. Prime 1 on GC had some doors that took upwards of 10 seconds. It was improved upon in the Trilogy on Wii, but playing it from a hard drive nearly eliminates loading entirely.

    The elevators in Prime 1 for example barely have time to animate before loading is done.

    Wybornlionheart_mTurkeyTaminMolybdenumArteenEmperorSethKoopahTroopahchiasaur11Xerink
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man I already have them but if the loading thing is true I might buy. I'm new to this extra storage thing on the Wii U...any links or pointers on what I need?

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    She was genetically enhanced by the Chozo, so she's able to retract her hair back into her scalp whenever she wants. Makes it easier to avoid grapples, but the bonus side effect is that it also works the opposite way so she can make herself look fabulous as she watches the latest planet she has destroyed get vaporized.

    steam_sig.png
    AbsoluteZeroBrody
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Oh yes the metroids I like those

    Got Prime3 for Christmas, and just bought the trilogy because why would you not for $10.
    Currently replaying Prime2 on my girlfriend's GCN. [about to get the powerbombs]
    Also replaying Fusion on Wii U and on GBA to unlock the Fusion bonuses for Prime, which we just finished on girlfriend's cube. Likely cashing in Club Nintendo funbucks for Super Metroid shortly.

    I have my Samus amiibo and I am waiting, Nintendo. Do not fail me.

    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Maybe she can transform into quicksilver to slide under doors and harrass corrupt CEOs of chemical plants.

    TaminAgahnim
  • DonnictonDonnicton Hey it's me, your old pal Movie Sonic - let me in. LEMME IN. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    She was genetically enhanced by the Chozo, so she's able to retract her hair back into her scalp whenever she wants. Makes it easier to avoid grapples, but the bonus side effect is that it also works the opposite way so she can make herself look fabulous as she watches the latest planet she has destroyed get vaporized.

    Chozo-powered Blonde moments destroy planets.

  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I'm going to save the thread some sanity and just say discussion regarding That One Game is strictly forbidden.

    It's a bad game, and I think we've thoroughly wrung every bit of discussion out of it.

    That should really be in the title or the OP then!

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    CantidoAgahnim
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    I think I need to play Super Metroid again.

    you should always be playing super metroid

    I need to play Metroid Prime again once in a while too.

  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I didn't have any problems beating the MPT versions of Prime 1 and 2. If anything it was easier, I thought. Prime 2 especially.

    It's just that basic thing of certain enemies could be beaten by lock -> shoot and it was guaranteed hits. For those enemies in MPT, the player needs to get used to centring the pointer after the lock.

    I like the new version more because ultimately it's more control. The lock helps, but on occasion there is a need to shoot slightly off centre. It shows the strength of the original design that a different control is still well supported.
    Actually, you can change the settings (at least in 1 and 2, not sure about 3) so that locking on just...locks on like the original versions. I highly recommend it.

  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I didn't have any problems beating the MPT versions of Prime 1 and 2. If anything it was easier, I thought. Prime 2 especially.

    It's just that basic thing of certain enemies could be beaten by lock -> shoot and it was guaranteed hits. For those enemies in MPT, the player needs to get used to centring the pointer after the lock.

    I like the new version more because ultimately it's more control. The lock helps, but on occasion there is a need to shoot slightly off centre. It shows the strength of the original design that a different control is still well supported.
    Actually, you can change the settings (at least in 1 and 2, not sure about 3) so that locking on just...locks on like the original versions. I highly recommend it.

    tumblr_mwmmbiqn6V1qz5q5lo1_500.gif

    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    SyphonBlueDonnictonCantidoTDawgcB557Andy JoeitalianranmaLBD_NytetraynPolaritieAgahnimshoeboxjeddyKristmas KthulhuCurly_Bracedarunia106
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I set the controls on Trilogy to advanced and now I am Metroid, robot bounty hunter.


  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I set the controls on Trilogy to advanced and now I am Metroid, robot bounty hunter.

    Hey, wait a minute.

    Metroid isn't a bounty hunter.

  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I set the controls on Trilogy to advanced and now I am Metroid, robot bounty hunter.

    Hey, wait a minute.

    Metroid isn't a bounty hunter.

    I think he'll figure that out shortly.

  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Did you not get the joke referring to Samus as Metroid the robot or is there some joke about bounty hunting I don't know because we're even using that in the thread title


  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Did you not get the joke referring to Samus as Metroid the robot or is there some joke about bounty hunting I don't know because we're even using that in the thread title

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/29/a-space-bounty-hunter-in-texas?page=8
    "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts.

    GethMolybdenumcB557LBD_NytetraynRainfallKristmas KthulhuEdith Upwards
  • DonnictonDonnicton Hey it's me, your old pal Movie Sonic - let me in. LEMME IN. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    reVerse wrote: »
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Did you not get the joke referring to Samus as Metroid the robot or is there some joke about bounty hunting I don't know because we're even using that in the thread title

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/29/a-space-bounty-hunter-in-texas?page=8
    "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts.

    Reading some of that article, Nintendo's "idea" of what Samus actually does is so confusingly bizarre that I'm surprised the developer was actually able to get anywhere. I guess that explains why outside of maybe the game manual, the first Prime game ended up so relatively stripped of actual back story. (following previous Metroid veins of "oh Samus is here because there's a thing, and it's a bad thing, so she wants to go beat up the thing... yeah okay press start and go nuts.")

    I think it may have been a kind of a pointer to Nintendo's beginning to shifting to a somewhat nonoffensive family-oriented company with their properties, the idea that one of their first-party characters basically being Boba Femme was somewhat apalling to them and they wanted her more portrayed as some kind of space paladin.

    Donnicton on
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Starfox team is sorta bounty hunters.

    But those are also direct creations of Shigeru, so...

    Edit: Well, they're more mercenaries. Hired to fight wars. Bounty hunter kind of implies killing individuals.

    Edit edit: Anyway, the whole reason I came to this thread was to complain that the title screen and menu music is gone from Prime 1 because of the new title screen and menus.

    McFlynn on

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Well, Star Fox was basically hired to kill Andross. There just happened to be an interplanetary army in the way.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    GethcB557General_Armchairdarunia106
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    If Samus isn't supposed to be a bounty hunter, then why do they call her a bounty hunter?

    SyphonBlueshoeboxjeddyKristmas KthulhuGeneral_Armchairdarunia106
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think the new controls in Prime 1 and 2 made them easier. I almost managed to get through Prime 1 without dying. When I got to Prime 3 in that package, the difficulty increase actually caught me off guard.

Sign In or Register to comment.