As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

19495969798100»

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    63lbs of human body fit into 1 cubic foot. A sphere with a 1ft radius can fit 4.19 cubic feet of volume, which in human flesh is 264 lbs. Since Samus is 198lbs, she will need at least an inner sphere radius of 0.91ft, which is a diameter of 1.8 ft (22 inches), assuming the inside of the ball is wall to wall flesh and of the same overall density of the average human.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Paladin wrote: »
    63lbs of human body fit into 1 cubic foot. A sphere with a 1ft radius can fit 4.19 cubic feet of volume, which in human flesh is 264 lbs. Since Samus is 198lbs, she will need at least an inner sphere radius of 0.91ft, which is a diameter of 1.8 ft (22 inches), assuming the inside of the ball is wall to wall flesh and of the same overall density of the average human.

giphy.gif

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

I honestly can't think of a better post to end a thread on.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Stumbled on this video and wanted to share:
    https://youtu.be/KTuMfsWwd0E

It's a little wordy but extremely fascinating. Basically covering how bad the localization of Other M was and how huge things were lost in the process. Probably not enough to make the story not trash, but definitely it sounds like they would have helped a *lot.* Like, some huge connections to Fusion were lost, including an actual justification as to why Nightmare appears in both games and a way better reasoning as to why they both kinda have the same plot point (illegal Metroid cloning).

Also, apparently Samus actually hated the shit out of Adam because he treated her like she was weak since she was a woman? How the hell do they completely botch that to portray the opposite message?!?!

It's honestly really interesting and makes me a bit sad because I feel like the game would be hated so much less if some of this stuff was presented correctly...

Edit: Man, the more I watch this the more I realize how badly they butchered the story. Making Adam the villain solves so much of the batshit crazy moments like the Varia suit thing and him shooting her "to save her." It seems like this implies the Varia suit thing was Samus's choice, to explore the heat area in defiance of Adam's orders (to prove she is strong, etc). And he shoots her because he still thinks of her as weak and thinks he is protecting her.

Like I said, story still not perfect but holy crap does this fix a lot of the bullshit...

Edit 2: The "movie" with new translation (turn on YouTube CC):
    https://youtu.be/XvZG-TJes4w

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Adam is a jackass and a stern foil but suggesting the story portrays him as a villian is a bit much. Although maybe the localization team screwed things up by trying to scrub off his hard edges.

Adam isn't the one who saw Samus as "weak", he saw her as hot-headed and foolish. According to the video's interpretation, he's basically right. Samus is making bad choices because she's determined to prove that she's not weak, i.e. she isn't accepting her limitations, isn't cooperating or relying on her allies. And this is something Samus eventually learns to do, after Adam kills himself to solve a problem Samus presumably cannot do while coming out alive. (Author didn't mention, but you could interpret the final battle this way: you can't make everyone happy by winning against the space bugs with your sheer might, you have to instead sacrifice MB.)

Notice in the end that Samus is supposed to accept the sexist address "lady" and learn to relate to others and not be such a loner. Its very much in line with the theme that becoming an adult means finding your place in society, meaning adapting to whatever shit society you happened to be given because human relationships are paramount. A re-translation recontextualizes Adam more fittingly as a father figure to be overcome, but he is only overcome by Samus learning to make the same "wise" judgments he would and stop trying to prove herself as some strong, independent individual that doesn't need anyone. This kind of theme is super-Japanese and exactly what Americans do not want out of their action heroes, who are usually all about power fantasy, protecting or avenging loved ones, and witty/callous one-liners.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah, the re-translation fixes some of the thematic problems but doesn't fix the core of the story. And no matter how big the flashing text claiming it's not PTSD he puts up when he talks about the Ridley section is, her freezing up like that the third time she's canonically faced Ridley still makes no sense.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Adam being the villain also doesn't track with how he's talked about in Fusion at all, Samus remembered him as a person she respected.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Ultimately the problems of OM lie in it covering everything one man in particular wanted to see throughout the whole series.
    * She freezes because that would have been an interest start to the fight in Metroid 1.
    * Nightmare is here because the same guy directed Fusion; maybe he even designed it himself.
    * Oh also this is just a 3D version of the Fusion station.
    * She runs through the lava section while losing health because that would have been a cool section in Metroid 1.
    * Adam and co. are there because wouldn’t it be cool if Samus’ time working for the Federation wasn’t just an offhand comment?
    * Oh but what would it be like if Samus was still working for them, and took orders from Adam?
    * What if Samus was a rebel and always disagreed with Adam though? Let’s do both!
    * And so on.

More consistently was needed. Sometimes you have to drop ideas if they don’t work with the established timeline.

I think if you smoothed the rough edges down to:
    Samus intercepts a distress signal at the same time as the Federation, at first they’re hostile to each other, then by the end they work together to save the galaxy. Samus learns the value of the little guy, and inspires them to be greater. Adam, ex-commanding officer of Samus, accepts her role as the Chozo’s warrior and expounds how she is the hero we deserve etc., then sends her a top secret file on a Chozo ruin location as thanks. Fin.

OR

Samus openly rebelled against the Federation years ago after a disaster caused by Adam’s cold leadership. She’s fully aware the bottleship is bad news, but Adam’s team, unaware themselves, are sent to stop Samus from completing her mission. By the end of the story she sends out a signal to the galaxy, exposing the Federation, and takes the remaining soldiers and the Mother Brain
    girl with her. End with a monologue about how the spark of rebellion is racing through the galaxy or something.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Now that you mention it, I think if you made it so OM was taking place before Metroid 1 by removing all references to Super Metroid, then the story would work a lot better. It'd still be bad, but her whole "I'm a big girl now, not a child anymore, look at me harm myself to prove to you how adult I am" stuff wouldn't feel near as out of place as it does when it's supposed to be happening after Super Metroid.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, I think if you made it so OM was taking place before Metroid 1 by removing all references to Super Metroid, then the story would work a lot better. It'd still be bad, but her whole "I'm a big girl now, not a child anymore, look at me harm myself to prove to you how adult I am" stuff wouldn't feel near as out of place as it does when it's supposed to be happening after Super Metroid.

It’s absolutely part prequel, some of the scenes are panel for panel with a semi-official Metroid 1 manga’s flashbacks.

I guess the post-Super Metroid elements were retained to have a reason for more classic Metroid series enemies / to tie into Fusion. That’s a flaw inherent to naming a franchise after a single enemy I suppose.

Potentially you could do a prequel and sequel game, if you got really daring with playable flashbacks and some psychological in-her-head sections or hallucinations.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There is a ton of room for Samus to go back and forth on her trust of people, humans or otherwise. She could very much be that Batman or Wolverine or Ronin type who works alone when possible but swallow their pride when needed. Betrayals, tragedy, and bad judgement calls can keep her from getting comfortable with a group. So many ways to do it.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I could have sworn one of the reasons the English translation of the game is so terrible is because Sakomoto did it himself (or had a large amount of influence on it) to make it closer to his vision. God knows where I remember reading that though.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I could have sworn one of the reasons the English translation of the game is so terrible is because Sakomoto did it himself (or had a large amount of influence on it) to make it closer to his vision. God knows where I remember reading that though.

There was stuff out there right near release that Sakamoto was behind the really bad English VA direction and very specifically, the repeated insistence of referring to the infant Metroid from 2 that dies in Super as "THE BABY" every time.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Still this looks like him taking undeserved credit. I can't see him intentionally softening the Adam relationship in English, since it undermines the themes of the game.

Also yeah the problem with "The Baby" is that he directly took to the english word "baby" into the Japanese script, and that's probably why he insisted on keeping that the same. Although since its not such a commonly used word in Japanese, being English and all, it comes off more like a name/title than a description there.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Adam is a jackass and a stern foil but suggesting the story portrays him as a villian is a bit much. Although maybe the localization team screwed things up by trying to scrub off his hard edges.

Adam isn't the one who saw Samus as "weak", he saw her as hot-headed and foolish. According to the video's interpretation, he's basically right. Samus is making bad choices because she's determined to prove that she's not weak, i.e. she isn't accepting her limitations, isn't cooperating or relying on her allies. And this is something Samus eventually learns to do, after Adam kills himself to solve a problem Samus presumably cannot do while coming out alive. (Author didn't mention, but you could interpret the final battle this way: you can't make everyone happy by winning against the space bugs with your sheer might, you have to instead sacrifice MB.)

Notice in the end that Samus is supposed to accept the sexist address "lady" and learn to relate to others and not be such a loner. Its very much in line with the theme that becoming an adult means finding your place in society, meaning adapting to whatever shit society you happened to be given because human relationships are paramount. A re-translation recontextualizes Adam more fittingly as a father figure to be overcome, but he is only overcome by Samus learning to make the same "wise" judgments he would and stop trying to prove herself as some strong, independent individual that doesn't need anyone. This kind of theme is super-Japanese and exactly what Americans do not want out of their action heroes, who are usually all about power fantasy, protecting or avenging loved ones, and witty/callous one-liners.

Yeah, after watching through the whole re-translation this seems more correct. Or maybe a better way to put it is she respected him (like a father) but still resented in some ways how she was treated (but then at times it seemed like she also admitted she deserved to be treated that way? It's weird). But yeah, I guess a better interpretation was that the main theme was Samus not wanting to admit she was weak/childish and then eventually overcoming this. Which is not great, but I think it comes off at least a little better than the Adam Senpei love fest the English translation is. (at the very least Samus comes off as much more assertive in the re-translation)

Like I said, story still has a bunch of problems but at least the re-translation "helps" a bit. Honestly too, if you take out all the Adam/Samus stuff I actually kind of like the base storyline of Other M (that is, secret federation conspiracy to clone an army of bio-weapons, Humanoid AI Mother Brain, etc). Especially when you consider some of the Fusion connections that get kind of lost in the localization (mainly being that the conspiracy is still going on and directly continued in the BSL ship of Fusion), there are actually some cool hooks for a future game being setup. Because even Fusion doesn't seem to resolve that plotline, it's still out there.

Edit: All that said, I still like the interpretation that Adam is the villain of the story. I don't think they were going for this, upon watching the translation, but if they were to ever re-write this thing in a remake or whatever, that would be a cool direction to take it. Up until the end I was really thinking, what if Adam was bad? He volunteers to "destroy" Section Zero but you never see him die... (you just kind of hear maybe an explosion) Maybe he's secretly saving the research and escapes before blowing it up :P Like I said, I'm pretty sure the game wasn't going for this, but I like the twist of it :P Like, he's the silent villain biding his time (even in AI form in Fusion) until the next game :P

Side note - one thing I really appreciate about the first video I posted was it explains why the hell Phantoon is in the game (which just seemed like a stupid random thing they threw in). Apparently in the Japanese Super Metroid manual it specifically says Phantoon is like the residual brain patterns of Mother Brain, like, I guess when a powerful psychic like Mother Brain dies, it makes a Phantoon-like ghost. So I guess the one in Other M was MB/Melissa's Phantoon. This is the kind stuff that makes me sad it's not more obvious that the devs were doing an intentional story thing rather than just a "Hey, you remember Phantoon right?????" (though I'm sure that was part of it :P)

Still this looks like him taking undeserved credit. I can't see him intentionally softening the Adam relationship in English, since it undermines the themes of the game.

Also yeah the problem with "The Baby" is that he directly took to the english word "baby" into the Japanese script, and that's probably why he insisted on keeping that the same. Although since its not such a commonly used word in Japanese, being English and all, it comes off more like a name/title than a description there.

And yeah, this stuff. Honestly, watching through the whole thing I could tell the re-translation was actively going against Sakamoto to make things sound less stupid. I could hear the Japanese say "Baby" (in English no less) when the caption said "Baby Metroid," or "Deleter" (also English, though more like "Dereter") when the caption said "hit man" (still not great IMO but less stupid :P). I wonder if that stuff sounds less stupid in Japanese because they are deliberately using the English words there (so to them maybe it sounds cool and foreign, I dunno :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I wonder if that stuff sounds less stupid in Japanese because they are deliberately using the English words there (so to them maybe it sounds cool and foreign, I dunno :P)

It really does seem like the logical opposite of westerners using kanji, now that you put it that way

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page