As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    My favorite logs were the ones offering extra rations to volunteers (for omega-piratizing, if memory serves) and the Prime 2 ones where they report and analyze the Dark Samus appearances and then slowly begin to conceive of it separately from the ordinary "hunter" when they can't reconcile the new behavior patterns. That sequence of logs really built on the setup from Prime 1 where the pirates have a defined internal command structure and motives for all this ongoing R&D where they just out looking to weaponize anything and everything.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    The time in prime 1 where the space pirates have to reiterate "No, the metroids are NOT pets. Do not feed the metroids. Do not treat them as pets, ya dinguses"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I like the pirate logs well enough but my favorites are still the historical stuff

especially the Luminoth entries in Prime 2

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    My least favourite trope is that all the enemy mooks or even entire species (e.g., orcs) are 100% irredeemably evil whose only joy in life is to do evil stuff.

That's why I enjoyed the humanizing logs in (particularly) Prime 1.

To paraphrase Lord Vetinari: “I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You’re wrong, of course. There are, always and only, good people, but some of them are on opposite sides.”

Or, to be more precise, sometimes a group is bad (e.g., the Empire from Star Wars) or there are bad people (e.g., Tarkin), but that doesn't mean all (or even most of) the individual stormtroopers are bad.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Vetinari's statement is actually more cynical than that.

He says that there are only bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ah, Sir Terry. You are missed.

Yeah, Vertinari's view is quite a bit less... optimistic.
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people,' said the man. 'You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'
    He waved his thin hand towards the city and walked over to the window.
    'A great rolling sea of evil,' he said, almost proprietorially. 'Shallower in some places, of course, but deeper, oh, so much deeper in others. But people like you put together little rafts of rules and vaguely good intentions and say, this is the opposite, this will triumph in the end. Amazing!' He slapped Vimes good-naturedly on the back.
    'Down there,' he said, 'are people who will follow any dragon, worship any god, ignore any iniquity. All out of a kind of humdrum, everyday badness. Not the really high, creative loathsomeness of the great sinners, but a sort of mass-produced darkness of the soul. Sin, you might say, without a trace of originality. They accept evil not because they say yes, but because they don't say no.'

That said, he still gets out of bed every morning, though he won't say why.
    'Do you believe all that, sir?' he said. 'About the endless evil and the sheer blackness?'
    'Indeed, indeed,' said the Patrician, turning over the page. 'It is the only logical conclusion.'
    'But you get out of bed every morning, sir?'
    'Hmm? Yes? What is your point?'
    'I'd just like to know why, sir.'
    'Oh, do go away, Vimes. There's a good fellow.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    texasheat wrote: »
    I played Hunters from top to bottom, beginning to end. I even did the MultiPlayer stuff. I put enough hours into it that I can say without a doubt or any hesitation...it's a bad game. I know hard to believe. But it is.

I remember the hand cramps of trying to hold my DS with one hand, moving with said hand, aiming with said hand, and furiously tapping the screen with the other hand to fire. I recall with great rage at the fact that you could not in fact change that to a button press.

That said...the morph ball moments were forgettable. One exception to that is the extra hunters ability to turn into the carapace slug thing. That was actually cool. But not enough to save this game.

Long story short, if you can help it, don't play hunters. If you have to have it in your vains, watch a lets play, save your hands....
    You didn't use the same hand to both move and aim though (unless you were doing something weird), and the default controls had you press a shoulder button to fire, the touchscreen for mouse-look-like aiming, and you jumped by double-tapping the screen. Kid Icarus Uprising's controls are quite similar, actually, except KIU didn't have manual jumping.

The only time "tap the screen to fire" was mandatory was the earliest build they let the public play (at E3 I believe), then the demo card that came with early DS systems only had it was an option and "button press to fire" was the default, the end release didn't have it at all.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Kotaku played Samus Returns, says that it "looks and feels fantastic"

http://kotaku.com/metroid-samus-returns-feels-great-to-play-1796236226

Thats good to know, since the devs have a spotty track record.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Golden Yak wrote: »

'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people,' said the man. 'You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'
    'A great rolling sea of evil,' he said, almost proprietorially. 'Shallower in some places, of course, but deeper, oh, so much deeper in others. But people like you put together little rafts of rules and vaguely good intentions and say, this is the opposite, this will triumph in the end. Amazing!' He slapped Vimes good-naturedly on the back.
    'Down there,' he said, 'are people who will follow any dragon, worship any god, ignore any iniquity. All out of a kind of humdrum, everyday badness. Not the really high, creative loathsomeness of the great sinners, but a sort of mass-produced darkness of the soul. Sin, you might say, without a trace of originality. They accept evil not because they say yes, but because they don't say no.'

'Do you believe all that, sir?' he said. 'About the endless evil and the sheer blackness?'
    'Indeed, indeed,' said the Patrician, turning over the page. 'It is the only logical conclusion.'

I know. The line stuck with me since I read Guards, Guards! many years ago. Before posting, I looked up the quote, and then deliberately changed it to fit my viewpoint.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Golden Yak wrote: »

I know. The line stuck with me since I read Guards, Guards! many years ago. Before posting, I looked up the quote, and then deliberately changed it to fit my viewpoint.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The whole point is that people are bastards, but some of them are less bastard than others.

• Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I am holding out hope they do this and add regular controller support. I put hundreds of hours in to Prime 1 and 2 on the GameCube, but waggle just killed the games for me. I own the Trilogy just to have the slick metal case, but I have no desire to play Prime with waggle controls.

Having to hold a button to look up was way worse than aiming with a Wii Remote. I hope they do a full remake, too, but they need to revamp the controls so you just just aim with the right stick freely.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    The whole point is that people are bastards, but some of them are less bastard than others.

Indeed. But I don't agree with that viewpoint, which is why I modified the quote, and said I paraphrased it in my original post (I may have used that word incorrectly).

I believe most people (with a few exceptions) are good or at least decent, if often misguided or shortsighted. Vetinari (and, I suspect, Pratchett) are a lot more cynical than I am.

I think a story is most interesting if all sides are made up of groups of normal, decent people with clear, relatable motivations and opposing goals. The conflict should arise from these opposing goals.

If you need a classical bad guy, I prefer it to be someone at the very top, who can usurp the machinery of the group and put it to nefarious ends. But the little cogs in the machine are no more evil than the cogs in the "good guys'" machine.

Which is why I liked the space pirates in Prime 1. They gave me that vibe.

(Prime was also my first Metroid game, and my first introduction to the space pirates, and this of course colored my perception of them.)

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'd be happy if they left the space pirates of Zebes behind. I feel like their time has come and gone... and then some.

Ridley could be a possible exception for a few reasons, not the least of which being his popularity, but the idea of him being focused on revenge against Samus for not only repeatedly killing him, but making it so he has nothing else to come back for is intriguing.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    The space pirates are probably returning.

I think the only games they haven't been in are Metroid 1 (not Zero Mission) and Metroid 2? They're a series staple, really, and not having them would be kind of weird.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'd rather see Kraid come back than Ridley. We've fought Ridley 1-2 times per game and I'm ready for a break. Even Castlevania eventually let Dracula have a break. Also Brinstar depths is awesome music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_nw1Pl6mYs

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I hope the game engine for the 3DS Samus game gets cleaned up a bit before release. It looks really jaggy in the E3 trailer video. Like exceptionally jaggy.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I hope the game engine for the 3DS Samus game gets cleaned up a bit before release. It looks really jaggy in the E3 trailer video. Like exceptionally jaggy.

By all accounts it looks better on the 3DS screen. I just checked the Link Between Worlds trailer, and it looks pretty jaggy as well. I think it's just an artifact of trying to show a trailer for a handheld.

Delzhand wrote: »

By all accounts it looks better on the 3DS screen. I just checked the Link Between Worlds trailer, and it looks pretty jaggy as well. I think it's just an artifact of trying to show a trailer for a handheld.

I think we need a word for the opposite of bullshot.

Cowshot?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Nintendo games are pretty notorious for, in general, looking worse in screenshots than in actual motion, yeah. Handheld stuff especially gets jacked due to the large differences in resolution/pixel density.

Cowshot?

Shitshow?

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

Cowshot?

Shitshow?

Bullcowshitshot!

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Cowshot?

Shitshow?

Shitshow. Gotta be shitshow. It works on multiple levels.

H9f4bVe.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    The space pirates are probably returning.

I think the only games they haven't been in are Metroid 1 (not Zero Mission) and Metroid 2? They're a series staple, really, and not having them would be kind of weird.

I think all the enemies were counted as space pirates in the original.

Were you viewing the 3D trailer you can download to the console?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Dear Nintendo, why do you hate America?
    https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/06/22/metroid-samus-returns-uk-special-edition-detailed-2/
    DC8NCrYWsAAg1hk-1024x576.jpg

I mean... I like art books and keychains and pins and a million other goodies too.... :(

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    That GB cartridge-shaped steelbook is amazing.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    HOW DO I GET IT

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    In all honesty, that stuff would go in to a drawer along with the other preorder stuff I never look at. The game and cd are good enough for me.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    In all honesty, that stuff would go in to a drawer along with the other preorder stuff I never look at. The game and cd are good enough for me.

Yeah, but some of my drawers are empty! I'd love the game, cd, keychain, and what's that a coin? Lapel pin?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Amazon UK has two different listings for Metroid, only one has a picture.

I've preordered both because I'm assuming the one with no picture will be the special edition. I check it every few days for it to update, don't want to accidentally buy two copies.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

The "after beating the game" functionality on these is neat. Especially the Metroid one.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Giant Bomb did a short video (actually short for once)

https://youtu.be/8gwqVKTJvjc

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo has addressed the Metroid amiibo controversy

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-addresses-the-metroid-samus-returns-amiibo-controversy

Fusion mode is different from hard mode that is accessed when you beat the game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Nintendo has addressed the Metroid amiibo controversy

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-addresses-the-metroid-samus-returns-amiibo-controversy

Fusion mode is different from hard mode that is accessed when you beat the game.

So they have Normal, Hard, and Hardest mode.

Okay thanks for making that distinction Nintendo, but you didn't exactly address the core controversy.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I can't read most gaming sites from work, whats the issue?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Nintendo has taken the inevitable first steps of locking game modes behind amiibos. In this case "fusion" mode, which is supposed to be a hard mode that's even harder than the game's regular hard mode. (also you play it with Samus' Fusion suit from Metroid Fusion)

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I was gonna buy the Amiibos anyway but this is still not cool of them to do.

Donnicton wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Nintendo has taken the inevitable first steps of locking game modes behind amiibos. In this case "fusion" mode, which is supposed to be a hard mode that's even harder than the game's regular hard mode. (also you play it with Samus' Fusion suit from Metroid Fusion)

They've re-taken the first step.

This was previously a thing with Twilight Princess HD, wherein scanning a Ganondorf would multiply your damage taken.