As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Fusion and Zero are both excellent. I loved both of those.

What can I play these on? Only GBA?

I POed an Analogue Pocket for exactly this.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

I would love to do this but worry about tracking down carts. I’d rather they just port everything from wiiu Virtual Console for switch, but oh well.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

I would love to do this but worry about tracking down carts. I’d rather they just port everything from wiiu Virtual Console for switch, but oh well.

The carts are probably going to be easier to find than the Pocket....

This discussion made me break out my wiiu.

All due respect to Super Metroid and Symphony of the night, and everything that came after as well, but it’s hard to really argue there have ever been open world platform/action games that were just as flat out solid mechanically as Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

All due respect to Super Metroid and Symphony of the night, and everything that came after as well, but it’s hard to really argue there have ever been open world platform/action games that were just as flat out solid mechanically as Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

I'd put the Ori games right up there with any of them

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight as well

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Hollow Knight as well

Hollow Knight for platforming/actiony goodness and outstanding bossfights

Ori for buttery smooth movement and acrobatics

edited November 2020
    Edit: Answered my own question

jungleroomx on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's weird thinking about how the 3DS is so old that I can't rag on people for not having gotten access to the Ambassador Program. Nine and a half years, now.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I didn't get a 3DS until about three years ago or something like that, so at least I was able to jump straight into a New 3DS XL. But yeah, if you didn't get an OG one while they were still like $250, no Ambassador program for you!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Ori's sequel is better the second play. Not knowing where to go pissed me off on too many occasions, some puzzles were too clever for their own good and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Like when I was struggling to find a way to the ice area, and found out I was in the wrong entrance the whole time.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The difficulty in Ori (1) was just too much. Like three dang hits and I'm dead, even with a bunch of bonus health.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Ori made up for it by letting you save anywhere, though.
    It tended to go die once, retrace from wherever my last save was, save right before whatever killed me, then die as many times as it took to get it right.

The fact that you can go from a three-digit death count to clearing it in one life is a pretty good design.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Cantido wrote: »

Ori's sequel is better the second play. Not knowing where to go pissed me off on too many occasions, some puzzles were too clever for their own good and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Like when I was struggling to find a way to the ice area, and found out I was in the wrong entrance the whole time.

Ori 1 had a lot of timing puzzles, which I didn't find as exhilirating as the complex strings of movement abilities you had to pull off to finish Ori 2. I also felt like Ori 2 really pushed the idea of multiple different paths for the same result.

SPOILER
    The last section where you're fighting Shriek and have to reflect projectiles with Bash and fire arrows at her head while never touching the ground was outstanding

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ori loves its escape sequences and I do not.

They are both great games but ugh those parts sucked.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The escapes would have been fine if they were, like, the tiniest bit more relaxed, especially in the first game. There's a really fine line of making you feel like you're in danger of imminent death without having it actually be right on your heels, something Metroid generally does pretty well.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    Aistan wrote: »
    Ori loves its escape sequences and I do not.

They are both great games but ugh those parts sucked.

Least favorite part of the game. I did like the Howler sequence.

Apparently Moon is working on an ARPG so that should be interesting

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Is there a general metroidvania thread, or do we just use this one since actual Metroid news is non-existent?

I just played the demo/early-access of Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, and it's really good. It's very much like SotN, but it feels a bit more fluid, and it has a really neat ikaruga element-switching mechanic.

Only downside is that there are only 2 zones so far.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Is there a general metroidvania thread, or do we just use this one since actual Metroid news is non-existent?

I just played the demo/early-access of Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, and it's really good. It's very much like SotN, but it feels a bit more fluid, and it has a really neat ikaruga element-switching mechanic.

Only downside is that there are only 2 zones so far.

Yeah, I got that game as a Steam gift since I loved the anime. Played the first area and it's great, but stopped because I don't want to play it drip feed.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    and it's god damned RECORD OF THE LODOSS WAR woooooooooooooooooo
    <airhorn sounds>

i still miss that stupid RotLW diablo clone on the Dreamcast

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    and it's god damned RECORD OF THE LODOSS WAR woooooooooooooooooo
    <airhorn sounds>

i still miss that stupid RotLW diablo clone on the Dreamcast

I loved that game too. That fuckin' dwarf.

A MIGHTY SPELL
    A MIGHTY SPELL
    A MIGHTY SPELL

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    A third party (controller gear) came out with an officialy licensed Super Metroid skin for the Nintendo Switch.

What's interesting about it? Well one of the promotional images shows a cutscene from the 3DS remake Samus Returns, except in high resolution on a Switch. The screen image was likely photoshopped in, but there are questions where that image came from in the first place, and whether Nintendo would have something to say about an overly misleading screenshot of a first party game on their licensed product. (Especially when Super Metroid is *right there* on NSO for a Super Metroid skin.)

91aLyzbgFgL._SL1500_.jpg

rahkeesh2000 on
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I never did end up getting Samus Returns on the 3DS. I would absolutely pick up a Samus Returns Remaster on the Switch.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Sami’s returns even looked good on 3ds when you had a way to see it with a higher resolution. Could likely just slap it on there as is and it would look great.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Just give me a classic metroid collection (Zero Mission, Samus Returns, Super Metroid and Fusion) to go with the re-re-release of Metroid Prime Trilogy that we're totally getting.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Just give me a classic metroid collection (Zero Mission, Samus Returns, Super Metroid and Fusion) to go with the re-re-release of Metroid Prime Trilogy that we're totally getting.

I'd buy a switch. I played many of these games as a kid, only actually beating metroid one. The super nintendo was technically my little brothers so I didn't get a lot of time with super metroid.

I've played them over the years emulated in different forms, but always lose my save somehow and have to start over. I do have an snes mini though for that one...

But basically I've never been able to play most of them where it felt proper.

And the first of the prime trilogy, I rented it for a few days and it just didn't feel like metroid go me while playing. I'd love another crack at trying it again after hearing it really does get good and feel good in 3d.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I never did end up getting Samus Returns on the 3DS. I would absolutely pick up a Samus Returns Remaster on the Switch.

It was good!

Except for the parts I hatred. Those were bad and they should feel bad for etc etc

But overall it was good!

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

It was good!

Except for the parts I hatred. Those were bad and they should feel bad for etc etc

But overall it was good!

I agree. Samus Returns had a few flaws but the good outweighed the bad. In particular I didn't like the melee counterattack stuff. Stopping to counter common enemies slowed things down too much. Exploration in general seemed to take too long. Funny to say that since it was the first 2D Metroid with warp points.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I liked the melee counter stuff, but there should have been a limit on it. Like ammo or heat sink or whatever. Basically, force you to not use it all the time

I didn’t care too much for the melee stuff at all. Metroid has always been a shooter, it doesn’t need to be Castlevania or Guacamelee.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Adding melee to 2d Metroid does kinda make sense as lots of people know Samus from Smash.

Just....go all the way and give her some Chozo energy weapons.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I liked the melee counter stuff, but there should have been a limit on it. Like ammo or heat sink or whatever. Basically, force you to not use it all the time

They designed in the opposite way, you're forced to use it or die. They'd have to alter most of the enemies in the game to go along with this suggestion.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Adding melee to 2d Metroid does kinda make sense as lots of people know Samus from Smash.

Just....go all the way and give her some Chozo energy weapons.

Like a hologram blade that can cut through anything. Call it something like an omniblade.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

They designed in the opposite way, you're forced to use it or die. They'd have to alter most of the enemies in the game to go along with this suggestion.

Nah. Just make the cannon-fodder enemies not do their dumb charge attacks. Save that stuff for the strong enemies and bosses. I don't want to stop every 2 seconds to counter some goddamn greebly-fly.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Nah. Just make the cannon-fodder enemies not do their dumb charge attacks. Save that stuff for the strong enemies and bosses. I don't want to stop every 2 seconds to counter some goddamn greebly-fly.

That's exactly what I meant by "alter the enemies" so I'm not sure how you're disagreeing here?

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

That's exactly what I meant by "alter the enemies" so I'm not sure how you're disagreeing here?

Oh I thought you were saying they couldn't do that. My bad. Reading comprehension fail.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I just finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I have to say, it's a fantastic successor, but I didn't really like the boss fights they added.

Conceptually I like them, but the boss hitboxes are so hard to determine that I feel like I just kinda bashed through the fights, taking way more damage and dying way more often than I ought to have.

Delzhand wrote: »
    I just finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I have to say, it's a fantastic successor, but I didn't really like the boss fights they added.

Conceptually I like them, but the boss hitboxes are so hard to determine that I feel like I just kinda bashed through the fights, taking way more damage and dying way more often than I ought to have.

I didn't like the bosses except for the last one.

That 3rd section was just insanely intense and precise