As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Like, I'd like one class geared to just going into the dark to lose marbles faster. Kind of like oldtimey Final Fantasy berserkery people who just do their own thing and don't listen to feedback. Because there's a bunch of classes that can mitigate stress already.
    I've read that darkness actually increases the party's crit-rates along with the enemies' accuracy and damage.

Increases loot drops too. After 10 weeks in game, money seems to be the biggest limiting factor to me, so after a botched run it seems be in my best interest to grab some fresh adventurers and throw them into the fray with no supplies and just see what they find before they all get torn apart.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing some LPs of the game before I put my cash down.

Well, there are plenty out there, so nothing stopping you there.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Indeed, I'm checking out Northernlions' LP, he's got 3 30 minute episodes up already.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing some LPs of the game before I put my cash down.

Well, there are plenty out there, so nothing stopping you there.

Sure, I've been watching Twitch streams of the game off and on recently.
    But I want to watch the PA Let's Play where the characters are named for posters I know (or at least recognize), not random chatters who have money to throw at a subscription button.

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Guys, potato laptop is all I have, but it does have the minimum requirements needed to run this. I should be able to play it though, right? It doesn't appear to be a graphically demanding game.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I certainly hope so, I want to play it on my laptop too. And I'd love to see someone on PA do a let's play of this game.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Darkest Dungeons is basically made for it. Re-nameable characters, high attrition.
    Well, those are basically the only requirements in general, but whatevs.

I have some ideas on party composition, but man healing seems really weak so far from all the streams. Also the snowball effect from madness can wipe out your party if you have a particular unlucky series of quirks in combination.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    Most people from the initial LPs and such so far seem to use heals only when their characters are already borderline dead. It seems more like a semi-constant preventative sorta thing to use.

Another thing none of the streamers im watching seem to do is use control. I mean, push that melee to the back where he cant bleed you. Pull the ranged to the front so he cant aoe. Stun and use abilities that benefit from stun. I saw some potential combos just from watching and seeing abilities but no one is using them in concert.

Well, most LPers aren't exactly good at games. And even if they're decent, it's very tough to comment on things and concentrate on playing well.

I've noticed quite a few are straight up bad. Especially when it comes to planning and attention to detail. You make a good point though. I tend to be very ocd in all my gaming and I immediately think of minmax combos and the like.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Vestal-heal serves up at least four HP every time. Occultist-heal sometimes deals a net negative.

Obviously occultist is better for spamming heals.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Youtube Streamer's Hellion MISSES with her AE. Youtube Streamer's stress rises by 12.
    YS's resolve is tested! YS has turned IRRATIONAL!
    "My face is the mask, the mask is my face - it all makes sense now!"
    Youtube Streamer has started to play badly.

Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I've noticed quite a few are straight up bad. Especially when it comes to planning and attention to detail. You make a good point though. I tend to be very ocd in all my gaming and I immediately think of minmax combos and the like.

Well, I mean. Most youtubers just straight up ignore any help splashes, item descriptions, ability descriptions etc. and then wonder what the hell is wrong and why something isn't working, or can't figure out how to do something in a game.

It can be aggravating. At least DD doesn't seem to be overly complex in that way, so such problems are mitigated a little.

edited February 2015
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

Well, I mean. Most youtubers just straight up ignore any help splashes, item descriptions, ability descriptions etc. and then wonder what the hell is wrong and why something isn't working, or can't figure out how to do something in a game.

It can be aggravating. At least DD doesn't seem to be overly complex in that way, so such problems are mitigated a little.

It is aggravating to watch haha. I guess it may be part of the shtick.

Edit: I'm looking at a Vestal/Bounty Hunter/Highwayman/Crusader team. May sub a Hellion or Leper for the Crusader. Plan is to use the BH's ability to mark and deal double damage to stunned enemies, and also to push/pull enemies in packs. HWM for bleed/overall DPS, Crusader/Vestal for stuns and buffs.

Both the Vestal and Crusader can Stun. Pretty sure the BH can bleed? Anyway, double damage on stunned enemies is not a thing I will pass up.

Hiryu02 on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, are microtransactions going to be part of this game when it goes live? Cause I keep expecting to see popup "Cure Crusader immediately for 25 cents!" "Get 10,000 gold for only $5" "In dungeon heal $.50".

I don't know if it's all the streamers saying how addictive the game is, or maybe I'm just being a cynical asshole, but watching the gameplay, microtransactions look like they'd fit the gameplay like a glove.

That sounds unlikely.

I sincerely hope not. In everything I have seen from the devs, nothing indicated that microtransactions have even crossed their minds. Plus, pay to win goes against the very spirit of the game.

Hard to feel overwhelmed and trodden down by the blackness when there is that shining pop-up that says "Pay $1 to heal from Death's Door!".

I just can't see them doing it, and I think it would be a deal breaker if they did.

Seeing how nothing's been mentioned about microtransactions at any point, and people have paid full price to get the game, it'd raise a PR shitstorm to include them at so late in the process.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Played two dungeon runs now post-patch and the difference was very noticeable. Besides stress being more manageable*, they also fixed some skill upgrades like Vestal group heal. In addition to the balance changes I just happened to bring some of the better DPS classes (Hellion, Highwayman) for these runs and some enemy packs just exploded into bloody giblets as soon as they met me. Very satisfying especially after the tough times pre-patch.

* Nobody went insane!

I'm sure somebody somewhere on the internets is crying how the game is now casual crap and everything is ruined forever but I was having far more fun.

So, are microtransactions going to be part of this game when it goes live? Cause I keep expecting to see popup "Cure Crusader immediately for 25 cents!" "Get 10,000 gold for only $5" "In dungeon heal $.50".

I don't know if it's all the streamers saying how addictive the game is, or maybe I'm just being a cynical asshole, but watching the gameplay, microtransactions look like they'd fit the gameplay like a glove.

Maybe it's because of the level of difficulty and the UI make it seem sort of like a mobile game where it would try to get you to pay money by making everything super challenging without it. I don't think there will be though for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it's supposed to be that challenging. You're not supposed to be able to have something to easily cop out of a bad situation, sometimes you're just gonna fuck up and some people die and well better get some new heroes.

It is slightly frustrating to see LPers just rush and skip stuff that'd help.

But that's my inner min-maxer talking.

• naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    So how do dungeons and missions work in this game? I understand there's only five dungeons so, does each dungeon change randomly based on the mission or do the dungeons not change but get refilled depending on the mission? Or is it that there are five dungeon types but a virtually unlimited number of dungeons?

They're randomy.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    So how do dungeons and missions work in this game? I understand there's only five dungeons so, does each dungeon change randomly based on the mission or do the dungeons not change but get refilled depending on the mission? Or is it that there are five dungeon types but a virtually unlimited number of dungeons?

Each dungeon has certain curios (interactive objects) and certain enemy types that will always be there. The layout of the dungeon itself and where those enemies appear is procedurally generated each and every time you go back. There are several enemy classes which are not unique to dungeons (Cultists, Brigands), and you'll find them in all areas.

A mission (explore 90% of rooms, defeat all room-bound enemies, defeat the boss) will be a certain length, depending on its difficulty level. That length dictates how big of a map is produced for that quest - a "short" length quest will have, say, five to six rooms, while a medium one will have fourteen. The size of the map is less random than its layout.

Short quests do not permit camping. Medium quests get one camp, and long quests get two (be sure to pack extra food!)

Also, it's worth noting that camping refills your torch meter entirely (I think - could be wrong), so a fine tactic for making your torches last would be to wait until it's extinguished before camping.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    Thanks Chance, that's exactly what I wanted to know/was hoping for.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    one of the stressful thing about watching youtubers is that the ones who gain popularity are not the ones who slowly work their way through things, it's the ones who are high-energy, really excited, really enthusiastic, and while that's great when you're dealing with a game you're excited about, it also means that there 100% will be stuff they miss because they're just high energy blazing through things

liEt3nH.png
    It is my experience that the most popular Tubers and streamers are not the best, nor the most knowledgeable players. But those who have applied the most time into building their persona, character quirks and shtick. Unfortunately.

I need to stop watching streams. Watching bad decision making is like nails on a chalkboard.

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Played two dungeon runs now post-patch and the difference was very noticeable. Besides stress being more manageable*, they also fixed some skill upgrades like Vestal group heal. In addition to the balance changes I just happened to bring some of the better DPS classes (Hellion, Highwayman) for these runs and some enemy packs just exploded into bloody giblets as soon as they met me. Very satisfying especially after the tough times pre-patch.

* Nobody went insane!

I'm sure somebody somewhere on the internets is crying how the game is now casual crap and everything is ruined forever but I was having far more fun.

Are there patch notes posted anywhere? I looked around on their forums, but nothing popped up at me.

EDIT: Did they change the weapon upgrade for some classes (I remember the leper in particular) being weaker than their starting weapons?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    This looks incredible. How it has gotten past me up until now I will never know, but Feb 3rd can't arrive soon enough.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I didn't have to watch more than a few minutes of Northernlion's LP to know that I want this game. Everything about it, the gameplay, the visuals, and the sound all seem fantastic (even if I did look at the party of the Crusader and the Highwayman and think "Is that Dark Souls Guy and Bloodborne Guy?)

Yet, I'm hesitant to get this while it's in Early Access. That's not because I worry that it won't deliver, but because I don't know how many times I'll play this, and I don't want to burn out my time and desire on an incomplete experience.

Does anyone who's been following this game's development know how approximately how long it'll be until the game is complete?

Emperor_Z on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    God. the 3rd cannot come soon enough. I'm so interested in this game, and I really want to play it now.

M A G I K A Z A M
    From what I understand the final dungeons, the Darkest Dungeon, will be open upon release. Right now, there are only 3 classes missing, the Arbalest, the Houndmaster and the Man-at-Arms. Which I'm sure will be available when it releases. There are two backer-exclusive classes, but there is no ETA on those.

• Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    So RNG really loves to stick it to me. First try into the dungeon thinger after the initial intro to the town and such, all my dudes die to a double bleeder double cup dude battle after going insane. Second try, I didn't even make it to the god damn town thanks to the gun bandit getting 3 crits in a row with his double shot thing. I'm starting to think I'm not cut out for this game, despite it looking amazing.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
    Found some quite readable fanfic. Enjoyable, even though this is not usually my reading preference.

http://aliensandjunk.wordpress.com/category/darkest-dungeon/

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Well this looks neat.

Reinstalled steam after years and years lol. What time does steam consider it to be "Tuesday" so I can download asap after the refresh?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Doesn't work on a strict day schedule. Yeah a triple A title might unlock at midnight EST, but an indie like this will probably unlock between noon and three.

YL9WnCY.png