As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Not sure why they saw the need to add provision limits; if I want to buy 16 stacks of food, why not let me? That's a huge amount of money to blow and seems like a dumb idea, so who cares? Hopefully the limits aren't tooooo restrictive. I like a lot of the other stuff on paper, though. The new Heart Attacks, Death's Door debuffs, and enemy reinforcements sound totally reasonable and thematic.

As for the Man-At-Arms, it's a class I don't like, and his Riposte acting the way it did was one of the only reasons I ever took one along in a party (and even then it was pretty rare). I don't see the need for it to be nerfed.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    The provision limits seemed pretty high. Like I think you can buy up to 18 stacks of food.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    The provision limits seemed pretty high. Like I think you can buy up to 18 stacks of food.

While it's good to know they're not using provision limits to force players to send out ill-prepared parties, I still don't really see the point of adding them. Like, why would anyone want to buy that much food? Oh well. It's apparently something that won't affect me, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I'm fairly fond of the MAA because his basic attack hits to row 3, plus he has a forward 1 move that also happens to stun.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I'm fairly fond of the MAA because his basic attack hits to row 3, plus he has a forward 1 move that also happens to stun.

Bolster and Bellow are also pretty helpful, and I suspect I need to start running Command if I want to clear some of the Champion-difficulty stuff.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Deaths door debuff sounds like a good way to start a death spiral to me, but we'll see

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Yeah, the MAA Forward 1 stun + Crusader Lance combo that someone here mentioned became a mainstay of one of my groups.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    that and its not like you can just gorge on food as temporary health. you can only eat like 4 snacks per person (they got full for a while) and it only got 1hp for your trouble

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    The only reason I would overload on food sometime was to make sure I could camp feast on long missions to take care of stress.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Was there a problem with people bringing too much provisions? Is this a stray solution looking for something to fix?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'll stop packing a grocery with me as soon as my party members randomly step on a pixel and decide its Starve o' Clock.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'll stop packing a grocery with me as soon as my party members randomly step on a pixel and decide its Starve o' Clock.

A general hunger indicator would be nice

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

A general hunger indicator would be nice

Hunger doesn't work like that though

Not in a way in which there is like, a hunger meter which empties or fills or what have you

So that would also require reworking how hunger functions

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hunger is one of the few things that I really think needs to be reworked

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Tube wrote: »

Let's put more effort into systems designed to force you to attack even when it's not a good idea and otherwise force you to play the way the devs wish you would instead!

Really not loving the now super-impatient heroes.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Auralynx wrote: »

Let's put more effort into systems designed to force you to attack even when it's not a good idea and otherwise force you to play the way the devs wish you would instead!

I wonder if that's easily modded away. Most things (skills, items, monster stats) can be changed with just editing the files with Notepad but not sure if this can. They did say they want feedback on the new system so there's always a chance they change it.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

I wonder if that's easily modded away. Most things (skills, items, monster stats) can be changed with just editing the files with Notepad but not sure if this can. They did say they want feedback on the new system so there's always a chance they change it.

More aggressive penaties / standards for dawdling would be ok, but in the runs I tried tonight it seemed to be using a fairly butt-headed "if more than 2 people don't attack, immediately have some stress" system. An Arbalest died largely because saving her would've flipped people out in one especially-unpleasant turn of events.

I feel fairly sure your heroes shouldn't be getting impatient when you're trying to keep them off Death's Door.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »

While it's good to know they're not using provision limits to force players to send out ill-prepared parties, I still don't really see the point of adding them. Like, why would anyone want to buy that much food? Oh well. It's apparently something that won't affect me, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Oh yeah, I agree, it's a completely pointless change.

Played with the Abomination a bit more. His human form abilities are quite strong actually, with one being a stun with decent damage and the other being an AoE blight that hits the second and third slots. Currently I like keeping him in human form unless I need to put out some damage. Though I am a little iffy on the party limitations he enforces.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    The party limitations w the abomination are really, REALLY stupid

• Options
    I'd be bothered by it less if they ever introduced a second class that was a viable healer

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'd be bothered by it less if they ever introduced a second class that was a viable healer

It's really about the totally appalling scaling on Vestal / Doc. With Occultist and Arbalest and Crusader there are other things you can / should be doing but the enemies' damage pretty well outpaces your mitigation somewhere around Champion, Veteran if you're not working with a bunch of defensive trinkets.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

It's really about the totally appalling scaling on Vestal / Doc. With Occultist and Arbalest and Crusader there are other things you can / should be doing but the enemies' damage pretty well outpaces your mitigation somewhere around Champion, Veteran if you're not working with a bunch of defensive trinkets.

You aren't supposed to keep up with enemy damage in any case, you are supposed to mitigate the effects of crits and enemy piling on one of your heroes so the hp attrition is spread evenly on the whole party. It is very clear that the dungeon runs are supposed to be slow descents into near-death, near-madness state and hoping that you can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat before your hp bars are empty and stress bars are full. And healing works for that just fine, even at the highest level.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

You aren't supposed to keep up with enemy damage in any case, you are supposed to mitigate the effects of crits and enemy piling on one of your heroes so the hp attrition is spread evenly on the whole party. It is very clear that the dungeon runs are supposed to be slow descents into near-death, near-madness state and hoping that you can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat before your hp bars are empty and stress bars are full. And healing works for that just fine, even at the highest level.

I'm not expecting parity, just to heal more than 3 to the whole party with Vestal in one skill use. When they're regularly getting hit for double digits, "not ever 1 anymore" isn't enough of an increase, imo.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    After keeping an eye on this game since they first announced it ages ago, I finally broke down during the last sale and bought it. Was intending to hold out until the final release, but I figured I could mess around with it a bit before then and not burn myself out.

They certainly captured the feel of going on stressful, gruelling dungeon crawls very well. This game is damn hard. DAMN hard. However, I'm learning a lot of things I didn't know at first, and changing my tactics. RNG kicks my ass occasionally, but overall it's not too bad. I retreated from my last excursion after things started to look bleak, and they thankfully let you keep all the loot you've collected. Stress is a major concern for me at the moment, and I'm still learning the best ways to control it, and where to put characters in the hamlet to help them reduce their stress more efficiently.

Any tips for a fresh player? I upgrade the stagecoach first, and plan to focus a lot of attention on the blacksmith to improve equipment before anything else.

• Options
    You'll want to pay about equal attention to Guild upgrades, in my experience. Other than that, scan back a couple pages for the most-recent round of newbie tips. ;)

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The "Consider The Town Your Most Important Character" advice from this thread has served me well.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    The best way to deal with stress in the early game is to fire the poor souls after a dungeon crawl and hire a new band of suckers.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Wow, the bleed attack the big crabs do in the Cove is pretty annoying. 8 damage minimum, and 16 more if you don't have some form of bleed removal. Plague Doctors required?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Wow, the bleed attack the big crabs do in the Cove is pretty annoying. 8 damage minimum, and 16 more if you don't have some form of bleed removal. Plague Doctors required?

Or bandage it, since the on-hit component is pretty minor.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah but there's a limit on how many bandages you can bring, and it makes the run a lot more costly.

I'm generally looking at designing parties specifically for zones now, it seems to be working pretty nicely in other areas.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Decided, despite the typical contrary advice, to start over. Fact is I didn't feel confident in what I had for available front liners and just got annoyed, so I started a second save file. So far, things have gone largely more smooth in Dunwich Estate than they did in Arkham Estate. The Crusader they started me with has actually started to turn into something with the addition of Slugger to his quirks. He's now getting about 20% bonus DMG as long as I keep my light up. So he'll be pretty good for now until the bad shit piles on, or he dies.

I frigging LOVE the Houndmaster. Pairing him with an Arbalest allows for some major spikes in damage. I just ran a Crusader - Hound - Arbalest - Vestal group and it worked well. I'd like to get the Blackjack on the HM, and the heal on the Arbal, but overall they dealt with things pretty well. Adding a Bounty Hunter and Leper to the group. Neither have amazing traits, but they'll make decent fodder for now.

The game is pretty unforgiving, but it's fun when you succeed, and I can already feel myself learning as I play. Good stuff.

• Options
    Blackjack is only ok, especially in that party, but Houndmaster's all-around money.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I would caution that there is essentially no benefit at all to starting again.

• Options
    His usefulness was short lived. Now he's dead LOL.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    His usefulness was short lived. Now he's dead LOL.

And this summarizes darkest dungeon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It was my own fault. My party was pretty low on health, with only a Vestal providing healing. My first foray into a medium dungeon, and I pushed it too far. I got greedy, and the Houndmaster paid the price. No RNG bullshit, just a gamble on my part that didn't pay off.

Also...the Leper can soak a ridiculous amount of damage. I haven't gotten a MAA in the wagon yet, but a couple of Lepers that have shown themselves as a useful alternative to the Crusader.

I'd like to take the Abomination out, but I'm concerned I haven't gotten a good enough handle on managing stress yet.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Trying this again with the abo patch, still feels kind of lame. It's just a grind to upgrade village, get good relics and epic teams. Since it's not possible to lose there doesn't seem to be much point to it.

Abomination seems neat anyway. Not a fan of the dot, but the stun is really good and you can just stay in human form spamming stuns and heals until you either need the damage or get knocked to first position. Also base speed 7.. yeah.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    So, love interest is a negative quirk. This must be treated, to the sanitarium!

"Restrain me not, I'm here on my own volition!"

Keemossi on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I would caution that there is essentially no benefit at all to starting again.

My sentiments exactly. Darkest Dungeon is not a game where you should get attached to any of your troops (like in XCOM).

Just hire some more and send them off to the meat grinder. You have to think about the long game.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    The more I think back on this game, the more I think it's just not for me. I loved xcom and I enjoy the strategy, but I loathe horror games. This game doesn't have scares, but what it has is suffering, attrition and loss. Even though I am usually progressing the game makes me feel as though I'm constantly going backwards, losing health, gaining stress, watching my heroes die... and since I'm too chicken to delve into the higher level dungeons even getting a character to level 3 feels like a loss, since that removes them from the pool I'm scouring the low level dungeons with. Finishing a dungeon doesn't feel like a triumph as much as it feels like surviving an ordeal, which seems intentional.

Simply put, the game stresses me out. Constently feeling like I'm on the edge of losing the mission is exhausting, and I'm not good enough to figure out the most efficient groups and skill loadouts.

Vic on