As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Sent some of my fledgling adventurers into Cove for the first time. Interesting place, probably would've been a lot worse if I didn't bring Plague Doctor+Graverobber and Blighted all the things. Some of those guys in there hit really freaking hard...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Personally I feel it would be a really neat game mechanic if they could show up in Dungeons as random encounters/enemies. It would add a further element of tragedy to the whole thing and show you how leaving these broken people to their own devices might not be a great idea. I would also think it would be cool if they could turn up in Town Events (or even cause them?) in some manner as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Sent some of my fledgling adventurers into Cove for the first time. Interesting place, probably would've been a lot worse if I didn't bring Plague Doctor+Graverobber and Blighted all the things. Some of those guys in there hit really freaking hard...

I remember my first Cove run, running into a Pelagic Shaman and watching him throw out a +25% damage buff.

I didn't set foot in the Cove again for a while.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

I remember my first Cove run, running into a Pelagic Shaman and watching him throw out a +25% damage buff.

I didn't set foot in the Cove again for a while.

Yeah, a Pelagic Grouper crit the face off of Dismas for 14HP when he only had 20HP max. Thankfully he was full health at the time but sheesh. After that fight I was like "uhhh nope, good thing I'm done here".

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Even though they reversed the previous terrible change to XP, I've decided to wait until the march Town Events update. It sounds like that's going to change quite a lot about the game and so I'm just going to restart when that happens.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Just killed the Flesh for the first time.

What. The. Fuck. The Siren TPK'd me, but the Flesh fight was every so much worse despite not losing anyone.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

What. The. Fuck. The Siren TPK'd be, but the Flesh fight was every so much worse despite not losing anyone.

Flesh is really, really easy with good AoE. Especially AoE DoTs like Plague Doc and Houndmaster have.

But yeah, I can see how it'd be hard without mass DoTs.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Auralynx wrote: »

What. The. Fuck. The Siren TPK'd me, but the Flesh fight was every so much worse despite not losing anyone.

Flesh is really, really easy with good AoE. Especially AoE DoTs like Plague Doc and Houndmaster have.

But yeah, I can see how it'd be hard without mass DoTs.

I almost brought Team Blight. (same one Tube uses) but I'm not sure they could have won the DPS race.

The WTF was half at the thing itself, as well. A lot of DD is creepy, but the Flesh is o.o

Then I brought my Crusader to the Prophet and he spent the entire fight hacking at wood. Whoops!

EDIT: Answer is "yes, yes they do win the DPS race". They tore it up hard. At one point the thing was taking 30 points of blight damage a turn. Combine that with Rake, and...squish.

I kind of assumed it'd be blight resistant!

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    All of its stats are form dependent

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I love the design of that boss. It's suitably disgusting and it's also a really interesting fight as well.

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    All of its stats are form dependent

Yeah I noticed that. Really interesting mechanic,

Still thought the whole thing would be blight resistant though!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Sent four level 0s into the Darkest Dungeon for the achievement. (without supplies, since I was expecting them to insta-die)

They actually won two battles. and two of them came back alive after the third.

Operation "Beat the final dungeon with level 0s"

Results: Everyone dies in the first room.

Sample size: 5.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    How much stress they start with? 100?

• Options
    I am really looking forward to the Town update so I can start playing this game again.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    How much stress they start with? 100?

80 ish.

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Sent a party to scout the Sodden Crew fight. Was fully prepared to send them to their deaths and return with knowledge for a workable strategy, but this rag-tag group of level 0s and 1s managed to win. Had an Occultist/Arbalest/Man-at-Arms/Crusader with just the right skills. Pre-fight camp really helped, with the MAA and Arbalest giving everybody some significant dodge and crit buffs. Pretty sure that's my first boss victory without a Vestal (I've cleared all the first tier bosses except Inchoate Flesh). I think I'll keep these guys around.

• Options
    The Crew were my toughest fight until I figured out how the debuff worked. Still rough after!

• Options
    I used to find the crew really scary to fight and then I learned how it worked, where suddenly it was like "Oh wow, it's not that bad whatsoever".

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I used to find the crew really scary to fight and then I learned how it worked, where suddenly it was like "Oh wow, it's not that bad whatsoever".

The guy in front can heal himself to full, so unless you can wack him easily that can be a problem.

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at the wiki now and it seems I may have gotten quite lucky with the Crew fight. My party got shuffled around and I ended up putting the MAA in the lead spot instead of Crusader for the duration of the fight. After getting anchored once and breaking out, the MAA hit 100 sanity and got a virtue instead of an affliction - which apparently makes him immune to the anchor attack? None of my other heroes were close to the sanity check, so having the MAA up there instead of the Crusader probably ended up being the reason why I won... merely a trick of the light?

• Options
    legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    Only the Champion 16 pounder left in my game before I go in the Darkest Dungeon.
    I tried it one time with Arbalest/Vestal/Hound/Hellion to make sure I could hit the backrow with everyone and kill the lighting guy. Everyone with maxed items and skills. This guy has a ridiculous amount of dodge (as in couldn't kill him at least 3 times where he dodges at least 3 attacks per round) and the bandit with two swords of course always did that attack that hits two people and crit every single time. First time I felt the game was cheap so far.

As for those having troubles with the random shambler, I never hit the altar in my game and never saw him appear out of nowhere. So I guess you might have to activate it one time to get ambushed later in your game?

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The guy in front can heal himself to full, so unless you can wack him easily that can be a problem.
    And he's got a ton pf PROT on champ so it almost feels like a HM/mark team is the way to go on that fight.

The game deciding to bug out and off my full health legendary Hellion, with a few ancestor trinkets in her pockets, put a damper on my playing. :/
    That girl was a 45k+ investment, trinkets aside, and Warrior of Light/Slugger/Quick Reflexes doesn't come by on demand either.
    My only suggestion is to not escape the Crew fight while an Anchorman-immobilized hero is bleeding because, despite conflicting messages from the weekly report and graveyard, apparently the character will "bleed out" when you run for the hamlet, no matter health and status before leaving.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    You always have to consider self-buffs and enemy dodge/prot debuffs on championship dungeons as no longer being optional parts of the game. They are mandatory to succeed and if you don't use them often, you will just get massacred outright by some of the harder bosses and dungeons.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Eeey, Drowned Crew take 2: Manage to down them in 3 turns after 2 escapes which turns the front row BH virtuous.

Clean up the curios in the dungeon before returning victorious to the hamlet... and the BH is dead.

gee gee, Red Hook

Panda4You on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Just picked this up. Having a blast, but had a question:

Turn Order in combat. How does it work? Like I can't seem to figure when my guy is gonna be next or an enemy. Or which of my guys is gonna be next,

Is there an indicator I'm missing?

• Options
    You go in order of speed value plus d8. So there is some random factor.

• Options

And the d8 is rerolled each combat round? Cause the order seemed to change a few times to me (though I may have missed an effect). Interesting.

Thanks!

• Options

And the d8 is rerolled each combat round? Cause the order seemed to change a few times to me (though I may have missed an effect). Interesting.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's rerolled at the beginning of each round. So if you're speed 1, you might go anywhere between 2-9. If you're speed 5, anywhere between 6 and 13. Generally speaking, the higher your speed the better your chances of always going first but there is a random element.

• Options

Thanks!
    Yeah, it's rerolled at the beginning of each round. So if you're speed 1, you might go anywhere between 2-9. If you're speed 5, anywhere between 6 and 13. Generally speaking, the higher your speed the better your chances of always going first but there is a random element.
    I'm pretty certain the "D8" can roll a zero so the random value of the initiative is between 0 and 8, [+SPD].

• Options
    That would explain why someone with speed 8 can sometimes go after an enemy with speed 1.

• Options
    So, when looking at the map of the various locations, theres this little circle with green runey lines in it and a red splotch behind it. I can click on it .. but it doesnt seem to do anything? Whats up with that?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Beat the game tonight.
    The Darkest Dungeon is terribly designed, IMHO. Almost all of the 'challenge' is in rote memorization; you're supposed to go through it, beat your head against the wall while writing down each enemy position & route, and then come back to it with a fresh party. So, fuck that, that's not respecting my time at all - I used a wiki map and breezed through. It's seriously easier than a standard Champion dungeon if you do that (and also understand that you only bring food, antivenom, bandages, holy water, torches and maybe herbs. Everything else is a waste).

The bosses are... interesting. The Templars are just garbage, but the demonic white cells that teleport you out of a fight are a cool idea & the Ancestor's fights are well thought out & feel very thematic (it's still an absolute tart stroll, though. The only thing 'challenging' about it is that he will use 2 auto-kill attacks that you can't do anything about. It's so stupid that Red Hook couldn't think of less binary ways to make their boss fights difficult, but whatever).

The build-up to the ending was great, but the ending itself was kind of terrible. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that was some limp dick shit. Lovecraft would not approve.

Game was fun & gave me waaaaay more than my money's worth, but I dunno if I'll run through the NG+ stuff. 'More of the same but the dice are loaded for the bad guys!' doesn't sound like a good time to me.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Does anyone else start experiencing dungeon paralysis? My A-Team have been getting their arses kicked recently, and I'm too apprehensive to risk them on appropriately leveled dungeons. I know I could work through better if I followed a wiki, but I feel that goes against the spirit of the game.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Holyyyyyyy fuck DD2 was the goddamn toughest thing in the game, by far! :mad:
    I've cleaned out all the bosses and none of those were near the level this shit was. I wouldn't have made it if the game didn't take pity on me and my whole crew started dodging like Neo on the last fight...

I can't imagine how this game would be not using wikipedia. :bigfrown:

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Beat the game tonight.
    The Darkest Dungeon is terribly designed, IMHO. Almost all of the 'challenge' is in rote memorization; you're supposed to go through it, beat your head against the wall while writing down each enemy position & route, and then come back to it with a fresh party. So, fuck that, that's not respecting my time at all - I used a wiki map and breezed through. It's seriously easier than a standard Champion dungeon if you do that (and also understand that you only bring food, antivenom, bandages, holy water, torches and maybe herbs. Everything else is a waste).

The bosses are... interesting. The Templars are just garbage, but the demonic white cells that teleport you out of a fight are a cool idea & the Ancestor's fights are well thought out & feel very thematic (it's still an absolute tart stroll, though. The only thing 'challenging' about it is that he will use 2 auto-kill attacks that you can't do anything about. It's so stupid that Red Hook couldn't think of less binary ways to make their boss fights difficult, but whatever).

The build-up to the ending was great, but the ending itself was kind of terrible. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that was some limp dick shit. Lovecraft would not approve.

Game was fun & gave me waaaaay more than my money's worth, but I dunno if I'll run through the NG+ stuff. 'More of the same but the dice are loaded for the bad guys!' doesn't sound like a good time to me.

I Youtubed the last boss, which was what convinced me not to play it anymore. Fuck that shit.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Cantido wrote: »
    Beat the game tonight.

I Youtubed the last boss, which was what convinced me not to play it anymore. Fuck that shit.

The Last Boss isn't even that bad.

It's the asshole dual Templar Fight.

OHHHHHH BOY.

Edit: Also I really think this game was released way too early. There are a lot of things the developer is going to do or add, like the Town Update next month, that are really going to change this game substantially. In the short term, for example, will be that you will get random quest heirlooms when going different places. So you don't need to specifically keep grinding Weald quests for Portraits, or do the Cove for Deeds. There will also be a system where you can trade these things to get other heirlooms you might need if you have excess.

And the new class, antiquarian, apparently lets you do something with heirlooms and increases the amount of gold you get after each dungeon is finished.

They're basically working on mechanics that solve the big issues with the game, such as the grindy feeling and how you need to have a minimum 16 level 5 heroes to finish the game.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The new patch is up on beta! New class! Buffs to arbalest and highwayman! A lot of qol changes! Higher level poogles from the stagecoach! Trophy trinkets now cannot be lost! Other shit!

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    A bunch of games just came out for the PS4, including Invisible, Inc., but I was hoping for Darkest Dungeon, and that hasn't happened yet.

I have a lot of games for my desktop, but not really that many for my PS4. Hurry up, DD people!

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Beat the game tonight.

The Last Boss isn't even that bad.

It's the asshole dual Templar Fight.

OHHHHHH BOY.

Edit: Also I really think this game was released way too early. There are a lot of things the developer is going to do or add, like the Town Update next month, that are really going to change this game substantially. In the short term, for example, will be that you will get random quest heirlooms when going different places. So you don't need to specifically keep grinding Weald quests for Portraits, or do the Cove for Deeds. There will also be a system where you can trade these things to get other heirlooms you might need if you have excess.

And the new class, antiquarian, apparently lets you do something with heirlooms and increases the amount of gold you get after each dungeon is finished.

They're basically working on mechanics that solve the big issues with the game, such as the grindy feeling and how you need to have a minimum 16 level 5 heroes to finish the game.

End game spoilers:
    The Dual Templars were cake to me. Stun one, take away half of the enemy actions for a round. It's ridiculous. And half of the time they waste a turn anyway with the attack that the torch blocks.

They don't even have Protection. :|

You're right that the last boss isn't hard either, but it's nonsense that his most threating move is an auto-kill. That's never fun, at least in my opinion (granted, it's at the end of the game and you no longer need to worry at that point about babysitting your party, but still - it doesn't feel good, especially when the rest of the fight is straight-up easy mode).

As to the game's release state... I kind of enjoyed the way that the game was drip fed out, honestly. It felt good to log into Steam and, oh, Darkest Dungeon update.

I can understand why people wouldn't like that kind of thing, and I probably would get sick of it if too many games started doing the same thing, but I found it a little bit special in this one instance.

Well, except for the Corpse & Hound patch. Fuck that thing.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    A bunch of games just came out for the PS4, including Invisible, Inc., but I was hoping for Darkest Dungeon, and that hasn't happened yet.

I have a lot of games for my desktop, but not really that many for my PS4. Hurry up, DD people!

Is it even coming to PS4? All I've heard is Vita.