As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    The new patch is up on beta! New class! Buffs to arbalest and highwayman! A lot of qol changes! Higher level poogles from the stagecoach! Trophy trinkets now cannot be lost! Other shit!

Hopefully many of these changes remain to when they make the release build, as they are really quite good. They've definitely taken the backlash to the resolve XP to heart too, because they are putting a beta branch on so they don't break peoples games/saves. I'm still waiting for the Town Update before I get back into the game, but they really are reducing the grindy aspects of this game with this update and that's great to see.
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    A bunch of games just came out for the PS4, including Invisible, Inc., but I was hoping for Darkest Dungeon, and that hasn't happened yet.

I have a lot of games for my desktop, but not really that many for my PS4. Hurry up, DD people!

Is it even coming to PS4? All I've heard is Vita.

Yeah they were talking about a PS4 port in the patch thread on the Steam Forums.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    There is a Shaggy & Scooby-mod for Houndmaster.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    There is a Shaggy & Scooby-mod for Houndmaster.

I made the mistake of going to go look for this on Nexus.

Top mod downloads are various boob windows & combat lingerie for the women. Because of course they are.

Never stop being you, Nexus.

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Tyjmmyjk

• Options
    8-) b

• Options
    Esrseseeeeesrerrssesseesrsressse

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2016
    Esrseseeeeesrerrssesseesrsressse
    Geth, infract @APODionysus for spamming garbage

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    How could we have become so different, @APODionysus? Why can we no longer understand each other? What did we do wrong?
    Warned @APODionysus (2 points for 1 week) for "spamming garbage"

• Options
    CantelopeCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    wrong thread, it's late, I got really confused

Cantelope on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @Cantelope, what is this "VIP extraction" that you speak of? Were you searching the dungeon for some poor lost soul who perhaps lost their way? You should know by now, that what goes into the darkest depths of those vile places doesn't come back often, or when it does, it certainly does not come back human.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Sorry guys, I dont know what that was... Possible I had something resting on my keyboard. My apologies to the thread!

Anywoo, I had a nasty run in with the Wizened Hag. First time facing her lead to a complete party wipe. Party was horribly built for her whole "Im gonna be stuck in the back two slots" thing. None of my heavy hitters could reach her so it was up to my Vestel and Plague Doctor to hit her with their pidly attacks while my Hellion inflcited bleed.. and my Crusader did jack all. Unfortunatley everyone died except my Vestel and Crusader... which moved my Vestel up to the second row where her lone attack spell couldnt be used...

so yeah. That went.. poorly.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    We have new patch!

Looks like The Antiquarian is just a Plague Doctor concerned more about buffing team than debuffing enemies. Im kinda dissapointed, but on the other hand i dont know what else we could get.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2016
    The main thing about The Anqiquarian is that they buff the amount of gold you can bring back and have unique loot.

They're deliberately, as a stand alone class, the worst class in the game.

Tube on
  • Options
    Wellp, i returned to playing after 6 week long break, killed Swine God but lost full 6 lvl party during it.

... at least i got achievements for total party kill and losing hero to Wilbur...

"sob"

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I just started playing this and I'm loving it so far. Any basic tips to get me started?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The main thing about The Anqiquarian is that they buff the amount of gold you can bring back and have unique loot.

They're deliberately, as a stand alone class, the worst class in the game.

Still not entirely useless; full-party +dodge buffs, +dodge +prot buffs, etc.

Do the loot buffs stack if you have more than 1?

• Options
    I can't find an answer on that, but honestly I think that having more than one might seriously bork your chances of getting out alive.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I can't find an answer on that, but honestly I think that having more than one might seriously bork your chances of getting out alive.

Maybe. I was thinking two Man at Arms and two Antiquians; spam Riposte and Guard.

Moot point until I have another death though, my roster is full.

• Options
    Interesting, i always lost at least 1 person in Hag fights, but now i defeated her final form without any problem. Did i git good? Doubt it.

Only 4 last bosses and Darkest Dungeon itself to go.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I might modify the Inventory file to make larger stacks and cheaper items; I feel like the in-game workaround for that is sending suicide squads into lower level dungeons to collect whatever loot they can. I'd rather just try to play the game as if I actually cared about both the A and the B team, but it's too much of a money sink just keeping them in whores and cat o' nine tails without sacrificial grinding.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Does anyone still play dougie's dungeon? I just picked it up again! A modified version of team blight with a houndmaster on point just ran a no hitter against the champion siren

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Does anyone still play dougie's dungeon? I just picked it up again! A modified version of team blight with a houndmaster on point just ran a no hitter against the champion siren

It's been a while for me and I've forgotten how to play. Tube, can you teach me how to dougie?
    teach me teach me how to dougie.
    I'm so sorry.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I also just picked it up again for the first time in months. About twenty weeks in to this run and have half the first tier bosses down. Antiquarian is interesting. The Collector was kind of a pain the first time I fought him. The ability to trade heirloom types is amazing

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for the Town Update before I get back into this game. Then once I am having fun again, I'm turning off auto-updates so they can't fuck my entire roster again.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    I took a rest on it after barely surviving DD2, five-six weeks ago. Really do wanna try to finish it but I've been playing other shit lately and I'm kinda wary of jumping in "fresh" when not having all the survival tricks fresh in mind. :)

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I still play it. been waiting for this 'march' update for a while now. I have most of the champion bosses down but unlocking the bandit 16 pounder is rougher than fighting the boss

Jars on
  • Options
    I've been chipping away at the champion bosses with a combination of Team Blight (PD, Ab, Ab, J) and Team Dog Vomit (the same but with a houndmaster in front. PD has the blasphemous vial and another stun trinket, so can stun anything with under 170% resistance.

Flesh goes down like a buster, because it takes damage to it's single health bar from every single dot. Team Dog Vomit can burn it down in a couple of moves.

Hag can't be done by either team. I lost a good poogle trying. I went back with a mark team and still lost a poogle, but she's dead now.

Necromancer cannot step to Team Dog Vomit. He can be trouble when he summons a giant moop but he doesn't heal so will go down to safe tactics sooner or later. He can be stunned every second turn.

Siren was a no hitter. Take all the holy water you can carry and alternate stacking dots with stuns (she can be stunned every other turn too). I didn't take a point of damage, which should be an achievement. Team Dog Vomit has a slight advantage because the HM can whack her every other turn.

The drowned crew is harder, but goes much the same.

The gibbering prophet wrecks both teams. I'm going after him again with dual arbalests and maybe a vestal and crusader in front

The Swine God goes down hard but isn't trivial. Use the PD to stun Wilbur and the God whenever Wilbur throws down a mark, otherwise just stack dots and don't hit Wilbur

I haven't tried the cannon yet. It can't be blighted so... ouch? Maybe Team Blight can just power it down with wolfies.

Collector goes down hard, but I haven't found him on Champion yet. Double wolfies and Jester singing inspiring songs, with the PD on stuns.

Shambler goes down to the same tactics. If you have enough mettle to stand the dots and resist doing anything clever at all he goes down to the PD's dots while wolfies burn down the adds. Don't ever hit anything but the adds, ever. It's just down to who rusts first.

I beat a long, champion cove dungeon with a Shambler drop. That is my best moment so far.

• Options
    I do double jester for flesh. thing starts taking like 40 bleed damage a turn, real wimpy boss. swine god is pretty wimpy too with an occultist. I don't think any champion bosses have been that difficult, I killed champion necromancer in two turns. it's the fucking weald that gets me every time. warrens can be rough sometimes as well.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    The only champ boss I had some real troubles with was the Crew, although I guess I was lucky enough to not have any meltdown miss moments on the 16-pounder. The great thing about the fucking Crew is they slay anchored dudes even though the fight is long behind you and the boss is goddamn dead. RIP in peace, 60+critting virtuous Bounty Hunter. Without you I'm not entirely sure I'd have the strength to go on, losing a 50k-60k investment Hellion (at full life and zero stress when retreating from an empty corridor) was a bit much...
    Edit: Still haven't seen a Sun Ring, ~60 weeks since these two brave souls put themselves down in the name of the crusade.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Dual arbalest vestal crusader team beat the prophet. Had a hell of a time getting there though. In champion, heal teams suck compared to mitigation and crowd control teams

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I trounced the prophet with arbalist GR houndmaster hellion. I use the hellion more and more, she doesn't even need her nerfed skills to be lethal. I use wicked hack-if it bleeds-iron swan-adrenaline rush

Jars on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Dual arbalest vestal crusader team beat the prophet. Had a hell of a time getting there though. In champion, heal teams suck compared to mitigation and crowd control teams
    You didn't have a Hellion to put in pos1? Or was the Crusader on healbot duty?
    I think I cheesed that fuck with the double Occultist secret he doesn't want you to know about!

Panda4You on
  • Options
    I didn't have a Helion! Until recently I didn't really get them, but I'm understanding positioning more now and realising the benefit of being able to hit Rank 4 easily every time. Haven't tried a Team Blight with her at the front yet though.

I made my first run at Dougie's Dungeon with Team Dog Vomit! It went fine, but I lost a veteran Plague Doctor. I'll also need to train a new houndmaster if I want to take them out again. I'm told the second outing is much harder.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    NG+ in DD is no joke. I thought the week time limit would be the killer, but fuck no son; the graveyard limit gets you every time.

I don't think I realized up until now how often my roster was slowly chipped away at through the course of playing. Even with no teamwipes, my graveyard is at 10~ or so champions while every champion boss is still alive on my current run. :|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    NG+ doesn't sound too hard but I'm not going to do it because it's just some arbitrary limiters and I like dicking around refreshing the stage coach early on. Right now I'm on week 80 or so and I have enough people to do the darkest dungeon and only 6 deaths. I saw someone that finished it in something like 51 weeks. I think the main thing to remember is you don't have to kill the champion bosses to finish the game, and always do long dungeons.

Jars on
  • Options
    I am on week 500

• Options
    I am on week 500

but... The mind cannot hope to withstand such an assault!

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I am on week 500
    but... The mind cannot hope to withstand such an assault!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQJXJOVGE4

Panda4You on
  • Options
    It is fair to suggest that I got a little intimidated by the champion bosses and dougie's dungeon. Turns out I've been ready for a while but just needed to step up.

This is an effective horror game because you truly believe you're risking something tangible.

• Options
    I have a strong belief that DD quotes can be used in any situation, every day.