As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    If you want take a pd with all stun trinkets , that will reduce the vast majority of inc stress and dmg from the back row . Think I took hellion Houndmaster vestal and PD to that mission. PD stunned everything while hellion and Houndmaster killed adds and stacked bleeds on boss. Vestal adding dmg heal or stun as needed .

EspantaPajaro on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It's hard to say who, since the gimmick of the team is that attacking anyone is met with a riposte. I mean the antiquarian I guess, obviously, but that does reduce the effectiveness a fair bit. Jesters are squishy too.

I had a pretty good time running it with a Jester as the fourth guy, but ymmv. I am pretty sure it'll fall off in Champion but it seems fine into Vet.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I did the town invasion map with the Terrifying And Painful Vvulf and totally pushed his shit in. It was close by normal enemy standards, but nothing compared to most bosses. I realised that, in typical Darkest Dungeon style, the bomb is a trick. You're not supposed to focus it down, you're supposed to tank the damage and focus Vvulf down. Outside of the bombs, his attacks ain't shit and his adds aren't worth worrying about either.

So I have officially done all the bosses and am stalling until I complete Dougie's Dungeon.

I took a team into the third stage of Dougie's Dungeon, which had previously knocked me out of this game for several months. I was victorious!

Team was Arbalest, Vestal, Crusader, MOA. Arbalest had Vulfs cloak for damage against large, extra crit etc and her slot 4 bandana. Vestal had healing stuff (but not Junia's head, which I'm not taking into a long dungeon). Crusader had a his virtue tinket and his slot 1 buff (a mistake, he was never in slot 1 because the MOA's stun moves him forward). MOA had a stun shield and an ancestral relic for crit etc, which came in very handy.

The front line spent most of its time stunning, only hitting if there was nothing to stun. The vestal group healed over and over. The arbalest was dps (and mvp), marking and knocking down targets. Had I realised that the big moop gets two turns, I might have replaced the Crusader with a bounty hunter who could mark targets for her AND stun, but the Crusader came out with some clutch heals so...

The level takes forever, so my recommendation which served me well is to not be too stingy with your camps. I generally had plenty of health, but if stress started to top out BOOM, camp time. I had one log left towards the end, and the team left in fine spirits with no resolve tests.

Second big mistake: I loaded up on bandages like crazy and bought no antivenom. Wrong way round. Do the other thing. There are some nasty blights.

WHEN SHOULD I TAKE ON DOUGIE'S FINAL DUNGEON

I think when I have a dog vomit team ready to go.

This is what I have to put up with p7tmv10bfiqt.png

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Finally attempted the darkest dungeon for the first time (that I got four level 6 guys together). Had max weapons, max -1 armor (mistake), max level in most skills.

ugh. Not a fun experience. Made it past the 7th room before I had to bail and sacrifice a level 6.

What I was not expecting: bleeds being THREE times deadlier than any I had run into before. Totally understocked bandages. Might have to actually equip anti-bleed trinkets for the first time ever.

Finally fully upgraded the coach's experienced recruits level. The results are...disappointing.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I finished it off first try in part because I happened to have a witch doctor and a crusader with the two biggest threats being bleeds and stress

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Is there any way to see an enemy's accuracy? Would help gauging how worthwhile dodge builds are.

MrBody wrote: »
    Is there any way to see an enemy's accuracy? Would help gauging how worthwhile dodge builds are.

You can dodge tank or off-tank with a Jester for sure, but you'll need more than just high dodge. You have to rely heavily on the aoe accuracy debuff too. Houndmasters can presumably dodge tank too, but they can do a bunch of really useful stuff so I wouldn't recommend it. Grave robbers can get super high dodge while kicking ass. Antiquarians can get high dodge while being useless. You're going to want something to heal them up because the rng will eventually fuck you in any case.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yeah, dodge is great for mitigation but probably not something you want to double down on.

I miss Prot being viable on things that aren't Crusader.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I beat Dougie's Dunegon! The ending is awesome, so completely true to the source material. I was also glad to see that I can keep playing in my old hamlet if I want to.
    Dougie himself is very easy to beat (I used Team Dog Vomit). I think that was smart of them, because it would ruin the effect to do that section over and over again. The writing on the death choices is awesome too.

I don't know if I'll try new game +. The thought of doing Dougie's Dungeon part 2 or 3 again brings me out in hives.

edited October 2016
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Yeah, dodge is great for mitigation but probably not something you want to double down on.

I run best with regen tanks. The abomination is the king of this with his ten hp (plus stress) per turn regen, but crusaders and houndmasters can both pull it out too.

edit: I guess leper too? but I feel like he should just always be kicking out the pain

Tube on
    edited October 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

I run best with regen tanks. The abomination is the king of this with his ten hp (plus stress) per turn regen, but crusaders and houndmasters can both pull it out too.

edit: I guess leper too? but I feel like he should just always be kicking out the pain

Leper's actually pretty nuts, even without his damage, if you're willing to run him as a debuffer / regen dude, yeah.

But I was in this from really early on and remember when Prot wasn't basically a waste of time and sorta miss it, is all! Especially with the new cover-dudes abilities this could've done tanking very differently.

E: Also, apropos of nothing, my Slugger / Damage cauldron Occultist developed the +3% melee crit skill last night. Their stab attack seems to be pretty decent now, on par with a real damage guy's hits without marks.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

I ran with a man at arms using overture box and ancentor's coat using bolster. it worked pretty well

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Had the most insane Collector fight last night. I don't mean insane as in "that was so close" or "how the hell did we make it through that?" I mean insane as is my team never received a single point of damage.

https://youtu.be/YOLxRK3hN0w

Never seen that in the whole time the Collector's been in the game.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    One time I killed the Collector without him getting a single move.

There were some hefty crits involved.

I killed the champion necromancer like that. 4 crits in a row, dead

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Yeah, the collector isn't too bad as long as you kill the highwayman immediately. He doesn't hit too hard himself.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Yeah, the collector isn't too bad as long as you kill the highwayman immediately. He doesn't hit too hard himself.

His highwayman is fucking monstrous.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I was originally quite enthusiastic about DD's development, but it's developed such a bad reputation since that I gave up on it. It's on Halloween sale until November 1, so for 15 bucks I figure I'll give it a go. Entering the Hamlet now...

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I was originally quite enthusiastic about DD's development, but it's developed such a bad reputation since that I gave up on it. It's on Halloween sale until November 1, so for 15 bucks I figure I'll give it a go. Entering the Hamlet now...

...A bad reputation from where?

It's one of the few EA games that was fully finished & given post-launch support. It's true to it's source material, it looks stunning, it successfully walks that thin line between challenging vs unfair, you can play it in short sessions or sit down for a marathon and it don't care. It's Goddamn great.

The only complain I have is that sometimes it can feel more grindy than it should (but that's nitpicky).

With Love and Courage
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

It's one of the few EA games that was fully finished & given post-launch support. It's true to it's source material, it looks stunning, it successfully walks that thin line between challenging vs unfair, you can play it in short sessions or sit down for a marathon and it don't care. It's Goddamn great.

The only complain I have is that sometimes it can feel more grindy than it should (but that's nitpicky).

People were complaining very loudly when the first nerfs went through and also when features were added. Mostly about silly stuff.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

People were complaining very loudly when the first nerfs went through and also when features were added. Mostly about silly stuff.

Mostly about silly stuff yes, but the game has had some crappy changes that have been later readjusted to be a bit less annoying, like Vvulf returning from the dead. And if you aim to win the game and have a few bad runs with higher level parties it can be a real slog to build your forces back up. Still I'd recommend it to almost anyone who is interested. It's a great game with especially the sound and art rivaling or surpassing many AAA games.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I'm already not liking the game's unforgiving nature. There's so much information being thrown at the player without explanation that it's easy to make a mistake or just click on the wrong icon with no way to undo your error, and a couple of those can sink your mission. Let me decide if I want to play the game in Ironman mode, the game should not decide for me.

I'm already not liking the game's unforgiving nature. There's so much information being thrown at the player without explanation that it's easy to make a mistake or just click on the wrong icon with no way to undo your error, and a couple of those can sink your mission. Let me decide if I want to play the game in Ironman mode, the game should not decide for me.

It may or may not help, but you should think of the town as your character, not so much any one dude.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Old news, I'm sure, but that Hellion/Man at Arms combo is pretty strong, as long as they activate in the correct order.

I gotta admit, I'm completely confused about what Stun does to enemies. I know it forces my guys to miss their turn, but not monsters ? Maybe they skip their activation, maybe they don't ?

it always does, I don't know why you would think otherwise

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    it always does, I don't know why you would think otherwise

The stun ability can land and be resisted, which could be confusing. Like if it hits you assume they're stunned, right? Not so! The ability needs to hit and not be resisted for the enemy to be stunned.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Possibly the confusion is if you surprise some enemies that are normally faster than you, and stun them. You'll take all your turns, then they'll all miss their turn because they're stunned, and then they'll all take their turns because it's the next round and are faster than you. Without the stun, they would've taken two turns in a row.

It is 100% fundamental to the game that it's played in ironman mode

No argument there, that is clearly what the devs intended.

What I think I'm seeing with the Stun thing are monsters clearing their Stun at the end of a turn and then activating first at the start of the next. Mutter mutter OP mumble mutter.

So the strategy is similar to X-COM, where I need to set up two fireteams, one to go monster-hunting while the other undergoes an extensive therapy regimen of heavy drinking, hookers, and self-flagellation ?

No argument there, that is clearly what the devs intended.

What I think I'm seeing with the Stun thing are monsters clearing their Stun at the end of a turn and then activating first at the start of the next. Mutter mutter OP mumble mutter.

So the strategy is similar to X-COM, where I need to set up two fireteams, one to go monster-hunting while the other undergoes an extensive therapy regimen of heavy drinking, hookers, and self-flagellation ?

Two-plus, yeah. You'll want to be able to mix and match characters that have synergies with one another.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Stuns are the most powerful weapon you have. Abuse them.

Note that a particularly well-run adventure will leave your guys even less stressed coming out than going in. Investments in weapons and armor and skills will absolutely pay off in reduced tavern bills.

edited October 2016
    Garthor wrote: »
    Note that a particularly well-run adventure will leave your guys even less stressed coming out than going in. Investments in weapons and armor and skills will absolutely pay off in reduced tavern bills.

Heh. Let's just say that I'm nowhere near that point in my adventuring prowess...

I know the Man at Arms is not highly valued as the front rank tank, but I'm getting good use out of him so far.

Fairchild on
    you want an entire roster full

Man at arms is a damn fine poogle.

Well that sucked. Went up against the Prophet, a Level 1 Boss my rear end. He crushed my party (literally) with all that falling debris. Lost three of my best toons plus all my good trinkets.

Time to start a new campaign, I think, with the benefit of all that hard-earned experience.

there's no reason to start again. if you want to start again kick out everyone, recruit 4 yahoos from the wagon, and keep your town.

as for the prophet you either want lots of people that can hit the back row, and/or an occultist with curse of weakening. a good party is something like: arbalist, occultist, houndmaster or graverobber, hellion