As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Good news folks. There's more on the way.
    http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-color-of-madness-dlc/
    “With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos…”

-HP Lovecraft

Some hateful shard of alien origin has streaked through the night sky, crashing into the old Miller’s farm on the outskirts of the Hamlet! Those unfortunate enough to witness the Comet’s arrival have been blinded by what they can only describe as a shifting, ephemeral hue of damnably abrasive intensity. There has been no word from the farm in a fortnight, save for the unearthly groaning that echoes from the ruin of the mill…

A New Quest Type: Get lost in time and space as you confront unending waves of enemies, new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet. Survive as long as you can stomach, and compare your highest kill count with friends and rivals alike!
    A New Enemy Faction: The husks of the Miller and his farmhands roam the area around the windmill, spreading the all-consuming influence of the Comet’s light.
    Powerful New Trinkets: Visit the Nomad Wagon and spend Comet Shards to purchase trinkets with new and powerful functionality.
    Edit - This is based on The Color Out of Space, an HP Lovecraft story, by the way.

Henroid on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I actually just reread that story a few weeks ago. One of my favorites Lovecraft stories. Now we just need a mountains of madness DLC.
    Not sure how I feel about an endless mode.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'll buy it for sure but The Crimson Court was quite bad in a lot of ways

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I never dove too hard on the Crimson Court's content. Was it just not interesting or was it poorly balanced gameplay-wise?

• Options
    It had balance issues and felt grindy to me

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Awesome. Cool that they seem to be introducing a secondary currency, I always felt like that could be a cool mechanic in this game. Also the premise of being aliens is great, adds another classic monster twist into the mix of undead, fishmen, and vampires.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    We are about to learn that Farmer Miller had about 9,000 people working for him.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    We are about to learn that Farmer Miller had about 9,000 people working for him.

I'm just assuming we'll learn about the hideous entity MONSANTO and its star-spanning quest to dominate agriculture throughout the expansion.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It had balance issues and felt grindy to me

The Crimson Court DLC is I think what finally broke me on the game, and one reason why I'm taking a break on it. I downloaded it before I beat the game, so I was dealing with all of the vampirism stuff while trying to get through the third dungeon of it, which was frustratingly hard, and tended to just end with more people having vampirism. I had managed to beat the first Darkest Dungeon area much easier than one of those dungeons.

Combine that with me going 0 for 6 today in missions that did not have at least one level 5 or 6 heroes dying, and then a party wipe on a boss (where I killed the Swine God, but my last two characters got stun-locked and murdered by fucking Wilbur), having two abandon two quests cause I didn't have enough people to finish it, was brutal. I didn't have this bad of luck when I only had level 0 and heroes. After this session I feel like I need a break from the game.

• Options
    The infection spreading means that you’re forced to address the court stuff and those huge dungeons just aren’t fun

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The infection spreading means that you’re forced to address the court stuff and those huge dungeons just aren’t fun

Yeah. I feel like, even compared to other late game enemies, the crimson court enemies in general tend to just be fast, have high dodge, a lot of them also have decent protection %, and all have the ability to hit any row or character. A lot of them have the ability to just target everyone, and the ones who only target half the rows have high hit and damage. Even with a well equipped group and good supplies, I have had to jump out after 6-7 rooms or less sometimes just because of how grindy and tough all of the enemies are. It feels like less strategy and more just having to try and lock down the heavy hitter enemies fast (who also normally have high resist rates for bleed, blight, and/or stun).

Even with that above, I think today was just me having a string of bad luck that frustrated me, leading to me making poor decisions in combat and party composition, which lead to deaths quite often. Also running into the Fanatic finally was not good either.

I do actually like the boss battles so far in the DLC, they seem well designed.

I think after I take my break for a couple of days I might just come back and focus on finishing up the original campaign and take out the last couple of dungeons once I've built back up my high level heroes.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Last time I played, I appreciated they were diversifying what abilities actually did, but I felt like they just weren't strong enough. Also, With so many more characters, the caravan should be bigger, I think.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I had this on PS4 and got up to the DD before stalling. Grabbed it for Switch and trying again.

First of all I'm surprised about how much has changed. Stealth mechanics, 2 new characters and limited use moves make it somewhat of a new experience.

I got destroyed by the Crocodile, but I understand that's what happens.

Looking forward to the challenge to be honest.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Well, I can have to put this down till they patch the Switch version.

The current bug makes the Crimson Court missions unbeatable. So I was kinda waiting for a patch, but now the other areas all have high infestation. My guys are all gonna get infected pretty quickly unless I can tackle the Baron.

• Options
    I was going to buy it again on Switch but man it's pretty expensive for the whole thing and the shieldbreaker.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I'm looking to finally get it for the first time now that it's on Switch, but it was hard to justify between Steam prices and knowing PS4 had somewhat recently had a "Crimson edition" for $14.99.

Hopefully it'll have a sale in the next month or so, I'd happily bite even at $25-ish.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think Darkest Dungeon is my most purchased game. I've bought it on the PC, PS4 , Vita, Ipad, and now the Switch.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Welp, I broke when I remembered I had an amazon gift card that I could turn into eshop credit.

There’s uhh, a lot to learn here huh? It’s been fun gradually figuring it out though. I love little moments like realizing how “Marked” works even better than it first seems.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    So finally getting going in Darkest Dungeon.

Any tips on how to spot the good meat coming in on the stagecoach?

Also, how leveled does a crew need to be before it goes after the first bosses?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Everyone is MOSTLY fine. Just build the right comp. Level and love those babies and then cry when they get killed.

• Options

Most important thing you need to know is that when your characters reach particular levels, they refuse to go out to lower level dungeons.

• Options
    Level 2 is when you want to go for the first round bosses

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

There are two healers the Vestal and the Occultist. You want at least one of them in a party unless you are overconfident. Everyone else is pretty good at what they do, early game lepers are kind of tough since they have awful hit rate.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Flagellant from the Crimson Court DLC is also a healer

• Options
    Hey, this game is pretty good!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Flagellant from the Crimson Court DLC is also a healer

Flagellant is also one of the best "I can take care of myself" heroes, along with Houndmaster, Hellion, and Abomination

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

There are two healers the Vestal and the Occultist. You want at least one of them in a party unless you are overconfident. Everyone else is pretty good at what they do, early game lepers are kind of tough since they have awful hit rate.

Arbalest and Crusader can work as the designated heal-when-needed minion, especially on maps where you can camp or you're running characters with other mitigation like Man at Arms.

• Options
    I've done a lot of missions with Houndmasters/Lepers and self healing but then I die a lot too, and when you are starting off I'd advise to be safe instead of sorry.

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I've done a lot of missions with Houndmasters/Lepers and self healing but then I die a lot too, and when you are starting off I'd advise to be safe instead of sorry.

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

I've found that running Crusader in particular is mostly an exercise in threat-management via stuns and then healing when you get ahead. It's not the worst idea to get out in front of that style initially, as it's a lot closer to the mid-game situation.

• Options
    How do Abominations play? I tried to make sense of the attack/skill tiles of the one sitting in my roster. But there were dungeons to delve and I had all these other characters ready to go so I haven't made sense of it yet. Are they like Samurai from Etrian Odyssey where you have to take time to transform them (a la 'stances') to get full impact?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    How do Abominations play? I tried to make sense of the attack/skill tiles of the one sitting in my roster. But there were dungeons to delve and I had all these other characters ready to go so I haven't made sense of it yet. Are they like Samurai from Etrian Odyssey where you have to take time to transform them (a la 'stances') to get full impact?

They transform at will and absolutely wreak havoc on the enemy's front-slot and low armor guys once they do.

They also stress everyone out while transformed, so you end up using the human-form attacks in lower threat engagements. The chain whip and poison vomit attacks are pretty solid in the right circumstances.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    There were a lot of missions I didn't transform my Abomination once- just chain whipping up and down the first three enemy ranks.

Abominations were one of the classes that took a while to grow on me, too. Another one was Man at Arms, which I didn't really see the point of early game, but by late game I had flavors in Sergeant Revenge and General Guardian Shield

mrpaku on
  • Options
    I think I transformed my abominations twice in 98 weeks. They are great to stun and blight. Stunning and Damage over time become more important as the game goes on and you can't kill things fast enough or they get ridiculous protection.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Nice! Guess I know who's heading out into the deep dark tonight. Are they a front row/slot one player, or do they like another position more?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Nice! Guess I know who's heading out into the deep dark tonight. Are they a front row/slot one player, or do they like another position more?

Second spot, otherwise you're cut off from the chainwhip

• Options
    edited February 2018
    mrpaku wrote: »

Second spot, otherwise you're cut off from the chainwhip

You can run them in a team with a lot of built-in position rotation and not lose much effectiveness, but this.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Also just a fair warning the Weald is a deathmarch. Ruins and cove seemed easiest to me.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Also just a fair warning the Weald is a deathmarch. Ruins and cove seemed easiest to me.

Weald's tremendously easier with a Plague Doctor. Like, always.

• Options
    No arguments, but the other areas don't see your characters going from full health to dead from tree branch smackdown+blight.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Plague doctor in the four spot and occultist in the three spot make fish and chips out of the Cove

Plague doctor might be the most useful hero overall, honestly. Her blight bomb is amazing in the ruins and Warren, too. Think the only place they weren't super useful is the darkest dungeon itself

mrpaku on