As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I kinda want to get back in and do a torchless run. It seems like it'd be fun but I can't afford time time investment at the moment :(

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I started playing this again with a few class mods and crimson court turned off because it was kind of overwhelming last time I played.

I like this game quite a bit but boy I never feel like I have enough money or busts/portraits. There is a mod that increases the inventory size but that feels a little like cheating since inventory space seems like a pretty intentional design choice. But I’m starting to get to the point where I’m going into intermediate dungeons but I can’t afford to upgrade my blacksmith/guild enough to meet my high level characters’ needs. So I need to figure out a way to start saving money. I think I need to aggressively dismiss bad adventurers and sell pointless trinkets more.

Anyway, I’m having a bit more fun with the game this time around. I really like grave robbers, highwaymen, and hellions. They have a lot of nice attacks with placement synergy and they all hit like trucks.

You don't even need a Mod, you can just go into your Inventory file and edit the maximum stack size of gold and artifacts, which I have shamelessly done since the default stack sizes are too small for what the game requires of you.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I started playing this again with a few class mods and crimson court turned off because it was kind of overwhelming last time I played.

I like this game quite a bit but boy I never feel like I have enough money or busts/portraits. There is a mod that increases the inventory size but that feels a little like cheating since inventory space seems like a pretty intentional design choice. But I’m starting to get to the point where I’m going into intermediate dungeons but I can’t afford to upgrade my blacksmith/guild enough to meet my high level characters’ needs. So I need to figure out a way to start saving money. I think I need to aggressively dismiss bad adventurers and sell pointless trinkets more.

Anyway, I’m having a bit more fun with the game this time around. I really like grave robbers, highwaymen, and hellions. They have a lot of nice attacks with placement synergy and they all hit like trucks.

You don't even need a Mod, you can just go into your Inventory file and edit the maximum stack size of gold and artifacts, which I have shamelessly done since the default stack sizes are too small for what the game requires of you.

Interesting. I'll have to play with that at some point. I believe the stack size is intentional and forces you to make choices about what to bring back to town vs. what to keep to survive in the dungeon, etc. That being said, that type of gameplay isn't my favorite, and it'd be interesting to try with that tension removed to see whether it makes things more enjoyable or whether it just makes things less challenging. I didn't know that was even something that could be changed.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    If we're lucky, I have instructions handy about how to edit the Inventory file.

Here we go. Note that patches will usually reset your inventory limits to their default values, so you will need to redo this whenever an official patch comes out:

Close Darkest Dungeon.
    Alternatively, if you want a more "moderate" cheat, you can go to the following folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\inventory

Use Notepad or Wordpad to open inventory.darkest

You will find statistics for .base_stack_limit for a variety of inventory items, like gold, gems, etc.

Simply increase the stack limits for gold and gems to whatever you like- e.g. 10,000 for gold, 20 for gems.

The effect of this is to greatly increase the profitability of any mission you play, as you can carry more and throw out less. This is especially helpful in long dungeons, where you normally have to pick and choose what you keep or discard. Take it all with you!

Some may prefer this to simply cheating in a bunch of gold at once, but it does take more work.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\campaign\quest

Open quest.json with text editor.

About 85% of the way down, you'll see something like this

==

"item_table": [ [], [ [], [ { "type": "gold", "id": "", "amount": 3000 == Change 3000 to 90000000 (or whatever). If you want you can change all the amounts. Save. == Each dungeon has a payout related to the length and difficulty of the quest, changing that number changes the gold payout. Once you start up Darkest Dungeon again, everything's the same, only doing a quest for whatever gold amount you edited will instead give you 90000000 gold (or whatever you made it) Note - each time you change 3000 to 90 million or whatever, or 4500 to 90 million or whatever, that only affects *one* quest length/difficulty. When you're done you can change it back. Or not. Whatever. But I think maybe having a bazillion gold will crash your game permanently, so maybe cap out at 20 million or something then change back, and change it back again whenever you want a chunk of gold.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    hot take: what the game requires of you is hard decisions

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    The small item caps are annoying, but thematically I like that you have to weigh heirlooms and riches against provisions and sanity.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I tend to go with a torches a few keys a few shovels, a few items dependent on the area and clear the area without opening loot boxes. Once the area is clear, logs used, curios needing items opened, I sweep back and pack away all the loot since I know I can toss the tools. Works pretty well depending on how many collectors/shamblers show up. Go back with near full inventory of loot.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    The small item caps are annoying, but thematically I like that you have to weigh heirlooms and riches against provisions and sanity.

Right. I think most of the time inventory management in games is an annoyance to be circumvented at any cost.

Here it feels like a purposeful choice meant to bolster the themes of the game. It’s pretty tempting to go edit an .ini file to carry stacks of 20k gold but that kinda goes against the spirit of the game IME.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Ok the grave robber is a fucking super star. I’m convinced she can do basically anything. She can throw knives that do a billion damage, stab things in the face for a billion damage. Can’t take stress damage if everything is dead!

Swine Prince and Necromancer down. Definitely getting into a good groove with things, should have 6 or 7 level 3 characters soon, starting to figure out how to prioritize resources I need.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    For smooth transitions between quest levels 1>3>5 farm the materials to get the upgrades for guild and blacksmith to be level appropriate. It makes so much of a difference!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    It’s very strange to me that I kinda bounced off this game for a long while and randomly decided to give it another go and I’m loving it.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why I didn’t love the game. The turn based combat is right up my alley and the art is gorgeous.

I think I stayed away because I usually don’t care for lovecraft-inspired content. I’ve never liked his work and cosmic horror is just not a thing I usually care for.

That said, I do LOVE Bloodborne, and I think DD also really leans into the pulp-y tone and does it well.

• Options
    I wonder what the game accessories would have been if darkest dungeon was released in the 16-bit era.

My initial thought is that it would have that come with a gigantic map of the estate

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I wonder what the game accessories would have been if darkest dungeon was released in the 16-bit era.

My initial thought is that it would have that come with a gigantic map of the estate

No reason why Red Hook could not release one now though. I would be interested in something like that if it was done well.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Would probably have a super detailed and cool instruction manual too. I miss those.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Defeated the sonorous prophet quite easily, then doubled back in the same dungeon because the curio to summon thing from the stars was there.

My party was not ready for that and bravely ran away.

Next went to go kill wizened hag and my ronin bled to death halfway through the dungeon, my first death and my first time running away from a full blown mission. Didn’t even get near the boss, just kinda beefed the whole thing on my own and lost like 6k gold as a result. Ouch.

The only plus is that I completely forgot to equip those characters with relics so when the ronin died I didn’t lose anything.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Started playing this after picking it up during the Summer Sale. It's really fun, but tough! For my first three missions I had to abandon 2 of them and I lost two party members already. The auto save feature has made me start to
    think differently on how I play the game since I can't save scum like I do in XCOM.

I don't quite know how everything exactly works and what a lot of classes and attacks do so I've been throwing party members together and going on runs to see how it works out. I'm not getting too attached to anyone right now, so when I run into negative traits I know I can stop caring about a person, like this one in the last mission who could not stop touching everything we came across. I know that guy is going to become a liability.

I also know to stick to short missions for now. I tried a medium one too soon and that screwed me over. Storage space has become a pain, since I'm having a tough time figuring out what I should bring for provisions. One mission I brought too many bandages and the next I only brought 1 and ran into tons of guys who did bleed damage.

Any suggestions on what to focus on upgrading in town? I'm spreading out what little I have into everything right now. I don't have much upgrade material, since my last few runs haven't gone well, but I was wondering if I should focus on something, or not worry about one thing this early on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Probably increase the amount of available heroes per week in the stagecoach first, then build up your blacksmith and guild hall enough for the first tier of upgrades. If you're playing with Districts, I'd get a Bank as soon as possible

Trial and error is the main method for learning what supplies to bring for each location. The only items you'll *always* need to bring are food and torches (and some maniacs disagree on the torches)

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I only have the base game so I don't have access to Districts. My biggest problem right now is gold. I've gotten better at completing my runs, but I only ever get enough to get provisions for the next one. I can basically only send one character to heal up or I won't have enough for all the torches after that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You may have to consider dramatically slashing healthcare costs in your Hamlet, at least in the short term. Bring some keys and herbs on a few Ruins runs and open cabinets and conduct experiments on alchemy tables, respectively. And grab an Antiquarian as soon as she shows up at your stagecoach.

• Options
    Unfortunately my only Antiquarian was the first to die. I’m also full up on characters, I’ll need to upgrade that. Then I think I’ll follow your advice and not upgrade stuff for a while and heal only when absolutely necessary. You still regain a little sanity while idle correct? The Tavern and church are just for bigger amounts?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I believe idle heroes still lose 5 stress per week in town. That's another bonus of having a bigger roster- being able to leave more guys to idle while you rotate adventures around should save a whole lot of money, versus constantly stress healing because you need your team fresh for *next* week, if that makes sense

• Options
    I beat my first boss a few days ago! (The Apprentice Necromancer) I then got completely destroyed by the second one last night. (Giant pig man) I thankfully escaped while everyone was on death's door and got them out of there alive. I did learn that if the little guy is killed, the big pig goes enraged. (Literally because one of my guys said that) So now I know to bring someone to stun him next time rather than kill him to stop him from marking my team.

I've gotten into the swing of things with the game for now, but mostly just doing level one short runs, starting to do more medium runs to get more upgrade material. One thing I really like about the game is how accomplished I feel after a run. While playing XCOM I would always just be focused on the next thing and want to keep pushing to the next mission. While here I feel satisfied with a successful run and feel good about calling it for the time. I want to have my guys get more powerful and get further into dungeons, but I don't have that nagging feeling of "Just one more run!" gnawing at me, if that makes any sense.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wilbur is a trap, do your best not to hit Wilbur at all, in any circumstances

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Non-damaging stuns are okay, though.

• Options
    Definitely don't accidentally hit him with a plague grenade a few rounds before you've worn the Swine King down to within killable. I'm still mad at myself over that one. It was made even worse because my Man-at-Arms got like *one* swing away from taking him out anyway, despite my idiocy. Those poor, doomed bastards

• Options
    The Swine King is a quintessential Darkest Dungeon boss because he's pretty easy if you know what the trick is, but there's no way to know what the trick is without going in and getting your shit ruined at least once.

• Options
    I feel like it's a pattern that goes
    Cannon: "Oh, there's one guy I'm supposed to burn down! Got it!"
    Swine: "Oh, there's one guy I'm supposed to burn down and fuckyoufuckyoufuckyou"
    Vulf: "Aah, there's a bomb here, I bet I'm supposed to burn down the... bomb. Or the big guy, and the bomb is a trap. Or... fuck this game"

• Options
    Yeah, by the time I got to the third Darkest Dungeon mission and
    got ported across the map by a white blood cell during a massive cyst fight for the first time
    my wife, who doesn't like the game and actively tried to ignore it, goes "I'm honestly surprised you expected anything else, at this point"

• Options
    One of the few difficulty related things that I don't like in this game are the super long dungeons. I just find them tedious. It's why I didn't take to The Crimson Court.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    I got this on sale a week or so ago and it is lovely. Lost my first group, then a few more here and there, and now I'm getting the hang of it where I can put together a successful group using any group of random folks. I have kept mostly to simple dungeons, have beat 3 bosses so far.

What I have trouble with is... it seems to me that the strongest strategy by far is to just hit things as hard as you can do they die before stressing you out. Only about half the classes can do this. The others I can make it through a dungeon with, but they come out super stressed.

Bleeding or blighting things just seems a waste (unless it's the rare super high prot enemy) because I want them dead in one turn, not two or three. Buffing myself or debuffing is similar in that it takes a turn that could likely just take one of the enemies out entirely.

Living it anyway though. Atmosphere, depth of mechanics, art, are all spot on.

Does anyone have advice on either group that might work for some of the buff/debuff classes or specifically for taking on the shambler if I run into it (again, it was the cause of my second wipe when I didn't know what it was)?

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    cncaudata wrote: »
    I got this on sale a week or so ago and it is lovely. Lost my first group, then a few more here and there, and now I'm getting the hang of it where I can put together a successful group using any group of random folks. I have kept mostly to simple dungeons, have beat 3 bosses so far.

What I have trouble with is... it seems to me that the strongest strategy by far is to just hit things as hard as you can do they die before stressing you out. Only about half the classes can do this. The others I can make it through a dungeon with, but they come out super stressed.

Bleeding or blighting things just seems a waste (unless it's the rare super high prot enemy) because I want them dead in one turn, not two or three. Buffing myself or debuffing is similar in that it takes a turn that could likely just take one of the enemies out entirely.

Living it anyway though. Atmosphere, depth of mechanics, art, are all spot on.

Does anyone have advice on either group that might work for some of the buff/debuff classes or specifically for taking on the shambler if I run into it (again, it was the cause of my second wipe when I didn't know what it was)?

stuns are amazing. so in the scenario you started describing you could lock down the enemies to give you time to let bleeds/blights work or simply heal up/stress heal. as you get more familiar with specific enemies you'll be able to recognize what ones you can afford to durdle on vs the ones that must die yesterday

• Options
    The key to the shambler imo is being able to burn down the two front rows every turn no matter what, and having at least something (probably a dot) to chip away at the shambler.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    One of the few difficulty related things that I don't like in this game are the super long dungeons. I just find them tedious. It's why I didn't take to The Crimson Court.

Yeah the Crimson Court pretty much killed the interest I had in a second playthrough. The dungneons are too long, and the enemies all have absurdly high dodge rates. The vampirism was a fun concept that quickly became the most frustrating part of the dlc due to how long he dungeons are.

My recommendation for newer players is avoid the dlc that is not new characters, from my personal experience.

Edit: The Crimson Court mini-bosses and bosses were all pretty cool, of the ones i fought

never die on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    @cncaudata as you rise in dungeon difficulty the enemies change and you will find more use for the other classes and skills. Some of the bosses really can't be beaten without good DoTs or high powered stuns

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Hey, killed the shambler. It was with a group of pretty random level 1's but it was the first time I'd seen the shrine again in a long time, like 15 "weeks" or so (since failing the first time and then passing it up because I wasn't prepared a couple times). Also I had two at death's door and bleeding and multiple over-stressed, so I just abandoned the quest. Also I got I think the worst possible trinket from him.

But I did it!

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    The great part is you can’t get the same trinket twice from him. Also you don’t need to wait for a shrine just blunder around in the dark.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    The great part is you can’t get the same trinket twice from him. Also you don’t need to wait for a shrine just blunder around in the dark.

Thank god for that because you need to collect all of its trinkets and if you had to wander around in the dark to find it just to get a duplicate trinket I would be pissed.

• Options
    Why do you ha e to collect all the trinkets? I've never encountered a shambler up to this point

• Options
    Why do you ha e to collect all the trinkets? I've never encountered a shambler up to this point

It is a trophy/achievement.

• Options
    Ah ok, wasn't sure if there was a set bonus or something