As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Figured some of you might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXsUyQCnUQ

Ignore my heavy breathing, I'm not actually shitting or panting, my mic just needs a wind screen. Also, you can't hear my wingman which is annoying. Issues I'll fix before the next video. No music, no bullshit, just tactical flying.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Probably a good time to mention X-Plane 10 is currently $30. Downloading now....

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Mirage 2000C is out for DCS. Great module so far, but it definitely has some beta bugs (that RAZBAM is fixing already). Probably my biggest gripe is that they don't have radar deflection implemented, putting it at a distinct disadvantage against other fourth gen fighters like the F-15 and Su-27. When that gets fixed, I think it will be able to hold it's own in the short BVR and WVR arenas. F-15 will still still be the BVR king with the AIM-120, and the Su-27 will still be the IR BVR king with the R-27ER, but I think the Mirage can compete.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Figured some of you might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXsUyQCnUQ

Ignore my heavy breathing, I'm not actually shitting or panting, my mic just needs a wind screen. Also, you can't hear my wingman which is annoying. Issues I'll fix before the next video. No music, no bullshit, just tactical flying.

lol. Love the landing. Now you just need a court-martial sim for that fucking AI tower controller.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    Yeah, was a little wobbly on the line up on the go around, but given the weather conditions (it was super up drafty), and the wave off, I'll take it.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    @GnomeTank Are you using an oculus or TrackIR for the head movements? Or just joystick?

• Options
    TrackIR.

My full setup is TM Warthog (with FSSB R3 on the stick), Saitek Pro Combat Pedals and TrackIR.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Red Baron It's back! The finest WWI sim for it's time, is now on Steam.

I love reading the newspost by the publisher. It's basically, "When Dynamix was disbanded, we never thought we'd see this game again, but then we got the chance at our new company to bring it to Steam, so we did!"

Also it's in IndieGala's Every Monday bundle right now.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Man, it's been a while since I talked much about flight sims.

If anyone is curious how a big package runs in Falcon BMS, about to stream one at https://www.twitch.tv/brainling. I promised to do this months ago and just never got around to it, but I finally am.

• Options
    ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    I've been on a IL-2 BoS kick with a group of friends recently. I'm really excited for Battle of Kuban, but it's a year+ away and super expensive.

• Options
    Streamed two packages today, hope some of you got to tune in and kind of see what milsimming in BMS is like :) It's quite a bit of fun but can get pretty intense in those big packages.

• Options
    Streamed two packages today, hope some of you got to tune in and kind of see what milsimming in BMS is like :) It's quite a bit of fun but can get pretty intense in those big packages.

Drat missed this. Are they rexorded so I can watch another time?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The first one is, yes. I'll edit it and upload it to the Tubes of You. I didn't record the second one, just streamed it. First one is the most exciting/intense one anyway.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Corpekata is looking for opinions on the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas 4 on games like Elite Dangerous.

I figure this group would have opinions on the controller that would help him out!

He's got a Dell gift card that makes it relatively inexpensive.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Are they on the PC, and in any particular hurry?

The new Thrustmaster HOTAS is supposed to release next month.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, if a wait is possible I would wait for the new entry level HOTAS coming out soon, the T.1600M. Suggested retail is 129.99 US, which means it will probably be somewhere in the 99 range on Amazon. It looks to be a really nice entry level setup, with a fully detached throttle. It was also designed with Elite in mind. They have some cross marketing deal with Frontier on it.

e: I normally hate "wait" as an answer fyi, this is a special case where I honestly think a better product is coming relatively soon at a competitive price point.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    I'm about to stream another big BMS package, https://twitch.tv/brainling. Starting at ~11 AM PDT.

Also I haven't forgotten about getting the video of last weeks stream up. Just been a busy week. I hope to have it edited and up on YouTube today.

• Options
    I'm about to stream another big BMS package, https://twitch.tv/brainling. Starting at ~11 AM PDT.

Also I haven't forgotten about getting the video of last weeks stream up. Just been a busy week. I hope to have it edited and up on YouTube today.

I happened to log in and catch you landing... missed the fun part apparently. Was really neat to see how the game looks and plays though... or I should say sim.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Eh, it's a simulation game. When people get uppity about people calling it a game I just kind of eye roll.

e: About to stream a fun one! NOE strike on some radar stations with Mk-82 AIR's. The F-16's bread and butter.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Just pre-ordered the Viggen, any other Swedish wannabes?

• Options
    Not terribly interested in the Viggen personally. I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point when it's on sale and I can use my bonus points. Still putting all my energy in to BMS (the F-16) and waiting for the F/A-18 for DCS.

• Options
    You're not interested in exploding on highways?
    https://youtu.be/L8jUb67wpqE?t=13m1s

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm real weird about the planes I like. I enjoy either WW2 stuff (I own the P-51 and Spitfire in DCS), or fourth generation planes (so the F-16 in BMS, the Mirage in DCS, eventually the F/A-18). That sort of middle period that encompasses the 50's, 60's and early 70's doesn't interest me as much. I own the Mig-21, and as good of a module as it is, I never fly it. I'll end up picking up the Viggen at some point, but I'm not going to pay full price for it. Next modules on my radar that I'll buy in to early are the F-14 and the F/A-18.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Speaking of modules I haven't had a good helicopter sim since the original Black Shark ages ago--i was thinking about picking up the Mi-8 module (it has the most of what I'd want in the package overall), but I need to hold off while I wait for Logitech to decide if they're going to replace my cracked X 55 Pro (cracked while playing ED to my embarrassment)--apparently, it's not something they'd be opposed to, you just actually have to get their through shitty system of managing Saitek warranties.

Cross my fingers I suppose.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Why not pick up the Ka-50 in DCS World? It's probably the most complete helicopter module right now, and the one with the most guns (it's basically Black Shark 2.0). I'm not a rotor guy, so I can't give a ton of advice on that front. I just know people seem to enjoy the Ka-50.

Oh, and the Gazelle is the in the game too, if you want something light and fast with guns.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Why not pick up the Ka-50 in DCS World? It's probably the most complete helicopter module right now, and the one with the most guns (it's basically Black Shark 2.0). I'm not a rotor guy, so I can't give a ton of advice on that front. I just know people seem to enjoy the Ka-50.

Oh, and the Gazelle is the in the game too, if you want something light and fast with guns.

There's also the UH-1H module (which I actually picked up waaaaaay back when).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I want the Mi-8, but first I need some pedals. I can kill tanks in my A-10C, I can kill ships in my Viggen, but I want to airlift dudes into combat and then provide CAS for them in the Mi-8. Then once they get shot due to my poor CAS attempts, I can land and do a hot shit medevac.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Speaking of modules I haven't had a good helicopter sim since the original Black Shark ages ago--i was thinking about picking up the Mi-8 module (it has the most of what I'd want in the package overall), but I need to hold off while I wait for Logitech to decide if they're going to replace my cracked X 55 Pro (cracked while playing ED to my embarrassment)--apparently, it's not something they'd be opposed to, you just actually have to get their through shitty system of managing Saitek warranties.

Wow, I have been out of the loop. When did Logitrch buy Saitek?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

When they bought Madcatz. Seriously, sometime in the last 1 to 2 years, it all happened pretty quickly. In practical terms, given that Saitek (and Madcatz) customer support was legendarily bad, I suppose it means I may have a possible chance as long as I keep pestering Logitech about it, but it also means the X 56 Pro--which is a very subtle improvement on the X 55 Pro, and not one that's always preferred, seems to sell for about $600 or so....

I could swear it sounds like you just don't want me to buy the Mi-8MTV2 module. :D

• Options

When they bought Madcatz. Seriously, sometime in the last 1 to 2 years, it all happened pretty quickly. In practical terms, given that Saitek (and Madcatz) customer support was legendarily bad, I suppose it means I may have a possible chance as long as I keep pestering Logitech about it, but it also means the X 56 Pro--which is a very subtle improvement on the X 55 Pro, and not one that's always preferred, seems to sell for about $600 or so....

I could swear it sounds like you just don't want me to buy the Mi-8MTV2 module. :D

Oh awesome. I had a decent experience with the Saitek customer support who tried to fix my issues, but in the end just sent me a replacement (which I sold since I bought a Warthog).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Synthesis wrote:

Only because the Mi-8 seems to contain yawn inducing levels of boredom to me...but if you think it's cool, buy it!

GnomeTank on
  • Options
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thendash wrote: »
    I want the Mi-8, but first I need some pedals. I can kill tanks in my A-10C, I can kill ships in my Viggen, but I want to airlift dudes into combat and then provide CAS for them in the Mi-8. Then once they get shot due to my poor CAS attempts, I can land and do a hot shit medevac.

Isn't this also the kind of thing that the UH-1H does too? 'Cuz if it is, you're gonna have to get both and see which does it better. Y'know...for science.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Oh please stop!!! When you first posted the Viggen I immediately fell in love with it. Mainly because long ago when I was a wee child I had an airplane toy. It was the Viggen (didn't know the name of it till your post) and I loved the design of it. After I got older I realized that the plane wasn't USAF but Swede which made it even more magical.

Now flash forward till the other day and suddenly I can fly my childhood favorite toy? The only thing that is blocking me is the price. Well that and the fact that to this day I have yet to sit down and dedicate enough time to fly even the A-10C (not even sure if it still works) or the F-16 BMS. But dangit, that is sure tempting me...

Edit: Downloaded the manual to tide me over till I buy it. Also, I'm just kidding about stopping. Keep the hype coming. =)

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Oh awesome. I had a decent experience with the Saitek customer support who tried to fix my issues, but in the end just sent me a replacement (which I sold since I bought a Warthog).

Huh, I never had to deal with Saitek customer support (except when my X 55 arrived missing a rubber foot, so I emailed them and they sent me one a week or two later).

Logitech is pretty bad too--at least in this area, but I think it might just be a brain-dead employee who is slow to respond and asks me the same questions over and over again--ironically, the employee who responded to my post on Logitech forums seems much more on the ball. But at least since I started this in December, I probably don't need to worry about running out of warranty time.
    Synthesis wrote:

Only because the Mi-8 seems to contain yawn inducing levels of boredom to me...but if you think it's cool, buy it!

No, that's fine. I mean, that's what's keeping me from buying the UH-1 module after all. They both have campaigns, even though I don't really take advantage of that fact, and the Mi-8 is more challenging overall. The Huey sounds more boring to me given the hair-raising experience I remember from the Ka-50.

• Options
    Pretty good special offers for anyone who doesn't have NTTR yet. I picked up the Mi-8MTV2 + NTTR. I'm using my G27 racing pedals as rudder pedals and they actually work pretty decently.
    Things have been going well, learning how to fly my first helicopter.
    DCS_2017-01-13_16-02-24.jpg
    0E01E83E8B7BD799405BF1CC0DC4B4C85CC5AFFB
    6609485CA84C5F4EF3DE5062CDB39D03358A0ED4
    Been flying on the Open Conflict server doing pilot rescue and cargo transport, it's a lot of fun.

• Options
    Hmm, they did something to the AGM-65/FCR interaction in the last BMS update. I've always found a target using the FCR, looked at it in the maverick seeker head (the seeker is slaved to the FCR naturally), made the maverick SOI, locked and fired. Now for whatever reason when I flip to SOI from the FCR the maverick seeker head flies off in to Narnia somewhere, like 10 miles from where the FCR was pointing. I had to switch to using the mavericks in VIS mode, lining them up on the radar diamond on my HUD. Far more user intensive than it should be.

• Options
    Pretty good special offers for anyone who doesn't have NTTR yet. I picked up the Mi-8MTV2 + NTTR. I'm using my G27 racing pedals as rudder pedals and they actually work pretty decently.
    Been flying on the Open Conflict server doing pilot rescue and cargo transport, it's a lot of fun.

Send 'em back to the Mikhail Mil Factory in Moscow (say that a bunch of times fast).

Tell em Synthesis sent you. I'm this close to a free Mi-28 attack helicopter.

• Options

I have never bought directly from them before. One concern I had was limited downloads or was it installs? I am often upgrading my computer, or installing games on other devices to play on the road, and have had problems with install limits with Office in the past. One reason I loved Steam and GoG lately. Has anybody hit a limit or is there no limit if you use DCS World?

oosik_betsuni.png