As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Those Virpil ones are nice.

I did find https://www.mypilotstore.com/ that has some stock of the logitech/saitek rudder pedals so maybe I'll give that a shot and see if I can't get some, but I'll probably try the virpil bunch next if I can even get those in the US.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The only time I've ever had an actual set of rudder pedals was with my Logitech G940 a metaphorical lifetime ago, when I was still living in dorms and then my first apartment.

I miss them less than I might expect. Though I also play simulator less than I'd expect too (especially after dropping Elite Dangerous completely).

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    god i hate living in brazil SO MUCH in times like this.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I've always wondered, how do you go about getting stuff like this?

Can you still order on Amazon? (The irony of that)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I've always wondered, how do you go about getting stuff like this?

Can you still order on Amazon? (The irony of that)

depends on the product, and amazon only sends stuff with companies like fedex and UPS, which makes customs and extra taxes a certainty.
    with everything going on with the world, the Brazilian Real tanked hard (worse than any other currency), thus making everything 3x as expensive as before!

So no one is even bringing the stuff over anymore, be it bigger companies, smaller ones that sell stuff on the local equivalent of ebay, or enterprising individuals. Logitech itself imports a bunch of "gamer" peripherals and actual gamer peripherals, but not any of the flight gear, only mice, kbs, headsets and other things with colored lights.

All you can find today is a wingman 3D extreme for 900 local bucks (used to be, what, 250? 300?) and some used HOTAS for 4k or 5k.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I found this pretty interesting:

https://youtu.be/QHlCCmWkV7Y

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I wish this game were coming out this week instead of next. Flying around aimlessly would be a nice break from work.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I wish this game were coming out this week instead of next. Flying around aimlessly would be a nice break from work.

I've been watching the flights in this channel meanwhile. It's been pretty entertaining and they've sold me on the game. Just need to get a stick first.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I've been watching the flights in this channel meanwhile. It's been pretty entertaining and they've sold me on the game. Just need to get a stick first.

Ah, Squirrel. I haven't watched him in a little while, but I really liked his My Summer Car series and his ETS/ATS series. I've been wanting to see some people trying this, so thanks for the reminder.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    More entry level HOTAS goodness from VKB.
    2kgiscsxfl68.jpg

A new version of the Gladiator stick. Stick base layout is ambidextrous this time, so you can use a left hand grip with it and have the same button functionality in the base. The system is modular, so you can attach throttles(including a throttle quadrant!), button panels, etc to it. The modules can also be connected independently via USB rather than attached to the stick.

Stick goes on sale August 17th, with the modules coming 4th quarter this year. $120 for the stick, and $150 for the premium version(though I have no idea what premium entails).

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I managed to grab the Thrustmaster TCA Airbus stick through the Microsoft store, of all places. Thing seems on pre-order or out of stock everywhere else. Feels pretty great, having tested it out in DCS World.

I really can't wait for MSFS to land next week, as I haven't flight simmed since the 90s, in IL2 Sturmovik. I've already been working on flight plans for after the initial training runs, and am really keen to fly around my home province (Newfoundland and Labrador) to see how it looks.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I managed to grab the Thrustmaster TCA Airbus stick through the Microsoft store, of all places. Thing seems on pre-order or out of stock everywhere else. Feels pretty great, having tested it out in DCS World.

I really can't wait for MSFS to land next week, as I haven't flight simmed since the 90s, in IL2 Sturmovik. I've already been working on flight plans for after the initial training runs, and am really keen to fly around my home province (Newfoundland and Labrador) to see how it looks.

I was wondering if my memories were failing me, and checking, yes, the original Il-2 came out back in 2001.

There were pretty much only two flight "simulators" for me in the 1990s--that decades releases of MSFS and Jane's USAF. Excluding stuff like P-51 and Core Design's Thunderhawk.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I was wondering if my memories were failing me, and checking, yes, the original Il-2 came out back in 2001.

There were pretty much only two flight "simulators" for me in the 1990s--that decades releases of MSFS and Jane's USAF. Excluding stuff like P-51 and Core Design's Thunderhawk.

Ah, Jane's. I tried so hard to get that game working on a modern PC with my current gen software and CD. Never could get it to work. Jane's USAF had such a cool intro and some really fun campaign missions. Definitely a game I miss.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    I think MSFS 4.0 was my first flight sim, but the one I really got into was 1942: Pacific Air War and European Air War. IL2 was a game changer though, and since it was on sale for $5 I just picked up IL2 1946, which includes everything made for that stream of games.

• Options
    My first flight sim was the original MSFS on a 286, flying with the arrow keys (which were the trim controls). It's amazing to me that I continued to find interest in flight sims after that intro.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    MS Combat Flight Simulator 2 was my initial poison of choice. I didn't even use a stick, I used the nub mouse of my laptop back then. I still have the manual somewhere and that was awesome, filled with stories, images, comic strips and information.

(Come to think of it, F-19 might be my first "flight sim" much earlier, but I'm not sure that counts :lol: )

We did have FS98 but I really didn't pay much attention to it back then.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    My first flight sim was technically flight simulator 3.0. But what really got me into the flight sims was F-19 Stealth Fighter and F-117A Nighthawk. Both these games had me sitting in front of the computer for hours, flying around, bombing things. Unfortunately, I'm not really that much into commercial aircraft flying but Flight Simulator's latest version is enough to convince me to spend more time with it.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    F-19? Does it fight the MiG-28? Actually that sounds pretty rad. Just so long as every mission opens with Highway to the Danger Zone and closes with Take My Breath Away.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oh, if we're talking our firsts...

I think this was my first flight sim that I played that I can remember playing...if there was one before I played this one, I can't recall it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15_Strike_Eagle_(video_game)

I think I played it on either my dad's IBM PC Jr. or our 286...I can't remember which one. I mean, I was only 6 years old in 1985...

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Oh! I played that port. We had a copy on the NES hooked up at a deployment. Got a big kick out of WSO mode, and it became a bit of a running joke in the squadron.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So if anyone hasn't pre-ordered and was thinking about it, I encourage you to do so through Steam.

I ordered it through the Microsoft store, and also updated a ton of my computer's hardware. I was having tons of problems with BSODs and such, that I decided to say to hell with it, and completely reformat and reinstall. Well, that's a fucking nightmare. But also, now MS thinks it's a completely different computer. You cannot install MSFS through the Store on another computer. Try as I might, it won't work, because I only bought it FOR THAT ONE COMPUTER.
    I know this problem doesn't exist in Steam, because I keep carting my library around as I update hardware and even reinstall Windows.

So if any point you might think you might get "another computer", I urge you to think about doing so through Steam and not Microsoft Store.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    F-19 was a Microprose game, cousin to F-15 Strike Eagle series, and it was based on a rumored secret stealth fighter. It was super fun.

I think my first flight sim was F-15 Strike Eagle II on my first computer, a second-hand 386SX with a bunch of amazing games in the HDD.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Now I am trying to remember if we had any flight sim on our 8086, but I'm pretty sure nothing was around at that point.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    F-16 Fighting Falcon with the ginormous brick of a manual.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Now I am trying to remember if we had any flight sim on our 8086, but I'm pretty sure nothing was around at that point.
    The original Microsoft Flight Simulator was an port of an Apple II program that predated the IBM PC, so there was that.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    My first sim was Gunship on the C64.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=A8bBV7uzbSs

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    My first flight sim was technically flight simulator 3.0. But what really got me into the flight sims was F-19 Stealth Fighter and F-117A Nighthawk. Both these games had me sitting in front of the computer for hours, flying around, bombing things. Unfortunately, I'm not really that much into commercial aircraft flying but Flight Simulator's latest version is enough to convince me to spend more time with it.

I fucking loved F-19, I had it on the Atari ST at the time so it was a bit prettier than the PC version of the era. Fantastic game, I have no idea how many hours I dropped into it but it was likely hundreds upon hundreds. I had the copy protection (outlines of various planes) completely memorised.

Jazz on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Sadly I do not remember my first flight sim game I played... But I do remember my first sim I really wanted.
    GATO

Unfortunately at the time my uncle's computer was not powerful enough to play it... Which he was slightly mad since I convinced him to buy it and promised it would work. >_>

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Y'know, I was trying to remember this old game that I played back when I was a kid and I couldn't remember if it was before or after F-15 Strike Eagle. I mostly remembered flying around in an SR-71 Blackbird, and I could've sworn it was called SR-71 because of that.

Well, I was wrong. Also, it was definitely after F-15 SE. The game I was thinking of was Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer

So, what jogged that memory? Me digging up this here manual for the sequel to that game...
    wge1vcrae5lr.jpg

EDIT - also, Gato...man... I remember playing that game. I had absolutely no idea wtf was going on or how to play it...but, then again, that might've been a bit of a much to ask of a 5-year old. Oh, and speaking of boating games, I also remember my brother being super into this one: PT-109

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I think my first flight sim (ahem) was Fighter Pilot on the Sinclair Spectrum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJ1DdURN54

• Options
    oh, i still have my Falcon 4.0 binder manual and the special third party Lock On Modern Air Combat manual. You could probably learn to operate avionics and controls on those craft IRL with them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Ah, Jane's. I tried so hard to get that game working on a modern PC with my current gen software and CD. Never could get it to work. Jane's USAF had such a cool intro and some really fun campaign missions. Definitely a game I miss.

I was also completely misremembering--this was Jane's USNF'97 (circa 1996, I didn't play the original curiously). USAF didn't come out until some years later.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    I can't remember the last time I was so eager to play a game the second it releases. Probably because I have never bought a new PC + peripherals just for one game before.

Will FS2020 be playable at midnight tonight?

I have PC Game Pass so am hoping to eventually pay $60 to upgrade to the Deluxe version which should be possible based on what I read.

• Options
    swaylow wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I was so eager to play a game the second it releases. Probably because I have never bought a new PC + peripherals just for one game before.

I have PC Game Pass so am hoping to eventually pay $60 to upgrade to the Deluxe version which should be possible based on what I read.

So, you should be able to start installing FS2020 this evening at 12 EST. The pre-load for game pass isn't really a pre-load installation, but was merely the installer, which is somewhat disappointing. Since it will be 11 CST here, I was hoping to get in to test my settings, but I suspect that I will only be able to download and install this evening.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man CanadaPost sucks so much. Dang package been stuck at the facility, about a 10 minute drive away for 2 weeks now.

Based off the google reviews of the facility some people have been waiting up 2 months for it to move out of the building.

No flight chair for me, and most of the reviews complain their packages get smashed up good. I really hope it's not the same.

• Options
    In case anyone was looking for a flight stick:

That's the one I recently bought.

• Options

So, you should be able to start installing FS2020 this evening at 12 EST. The pre-load for game pass isn't really a pre-load installation, but was merely the installer, which is somewhat disappointing. Since it will be 11 CST here, I was hoping to get in to test my settings, but I suspect that I will only be able to download and install this evening.

That is... some bull. Disappointing to hear.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

That is... some bull. Disappointing to hear.

I've read that some people have started playing (Windows Store version only, specifically for Game Pass) by setting the Windows region setting to Kiribati or somewhere else where it's already unlocked.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    That works. I'm not planning to play until tonight, but at least want to try and get it installed.

EDIT: I set to Germany, btw.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    For those who are curious, it's coming out to 91gb for me... so glad I am installing now.