As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Going to try this out this afternoon, but thought some people here might be interested:

https://youtu.be/TtH13iK4k9c

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Syngyne wrote: »
    can anyone from boston verify

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfGjiGhGKMc

Me and my stick buddy were doing this 2 days ago in an expensive military simulator (landing a Lakota on top of small ledges in down town NYC) but the image quality was much much worse. (We were messing around after training, we would do stupid shit after training like fly under power lines or VFR with 300' ceilings through NYC or 120 kts at 20' agl over roads etc)

Even our VR training looked like garbage compared to that.

Also, the flying was a lot better...

furbat on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    super useful long post

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have a Logitech headset and Keyboard, and while I've not had any issues with the Keyboard, I've had my headset replaced by them no questions asked when the ear cups deformed within 2 months and wouldn't stay on. Haven't had any issues with the replacement.

The fact that it's space sim focused doesn't actually bother me that much because I'm likely to put WAY more initial time into Squadrons when it comes out, so avoiding a traditional yoke setup isn't really a downside.

Convienence being the biggest driver, I'll probably just wind up grabbing What ever full combo comes back in stock at normal price first (it may just be me being picky but I have a hard time buying the solo VKB stick when I am already using just a stick, the seperate throttle assembly and buttons are kinda driving this purchase). Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips.

Assuming you meant to quote me, glad I could help. As noted earlier in this thread, I don't think I'd actually recommend a yoke setup over a "conventional" HOTAS unless you were only playing MSFS, and even then not necessarily. I might regret saying this, but I think as a rule of thumb, a flight stick HOTAS is more capable of filing in the Yoke-related spaces than the reverse. It's not that a proper yoke wouldn't be amazing for several aircraft in FS, the same is true about a separate switch panel or even a dedicated LCD/MFD peripheral. They'd all be great, but I think you're better off with a HOTAS first, and then possibly dedicated foot pedals next (which are basically a requirement if you don't have a rudder-twist solution, which is true on some of the VKB and Thrustmaster models, I think). With Logitech, I don't think they make a HOTAS that doesn't have rudder twist since the G940.

In my own experience, I won't be picking up anything further--except possibly another 16 GB of DDR3 RAM. The PC hardware demands, and the age of my setup, are making this a much more attractive prospect to pick up on Series X whenever it gets a console release, even if I'm limited to a gamepad until I pick up a peripheral that works with the new consoles. In the meantime, my X-56 will do while I'm stuck on my aging PC.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I haven’t ordered through them before, but Mypilotstore ihas the TWCS Throttle in stock for anyone looking.

5gsowHm.png
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have that stick and throttle, its pretty good. I know it's not Virpal or VKB (I think that's the spelling) but it does a good job and has lots of inputs.

I had to lube the slider on it after a year though, it starts to build up a bit of friction after time.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    ydejin wrote: »
    So something super annoying I've found is that your AI copilot fucks with the elevator trim CONSTANTLY.

I ended up fighting it just all the time when flying. I'm trying to trim it so that it flies straight, and it keeps tweaking it and tweaking it. And we end up battling.

The worst fucking part: there's no way to disable it.

This sounds like the problem I was having. I turns out it was because the initial settings for my Thurstmaster had Trim controls set for both the stick and also assigned to the rudder bar on the Throttle. The rudder bar always auto-centers itself, so I have no idea why that was the initial setting for trim.

Anyway, every time I would change the trim on my joystick the trim control on the throttle would mess with it and the end result was my trim was always out of whack. I removed all trim control settings from the throttle and now it works great.

So I think my problem might have been that I hadn't perfectly plugged in the stick to the throttle on my X52 HOTAS. It seems to work after much playing with it. I suspect that when I'd hit the up on the elevator trim, it would compensate by hitting down. But when plugging it in better, it seems to work.

And I don't think I've seen this posted yet, but it sounds like there are a couple of monoliths out there that people are flying into. For instance, if you go into Melbourne, there's a giant skinny one just kinda sitting there.
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/08/microsoft-flight-simulator-added-a-giant-monolith-to-melbourne/
    And it isn't alone:
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/08/microsoft-flight-simulators-melbourne-monolith-has-cousins-in-italy-switzerland/

I only got an hour of flight time in yesterday. I put it on pause and had to go help my partner bring stuff in from grocery shopping, and when I came back, the autopilot became suicidal, and decided to pull stick all the way to the left and push it all the way forward. It also messed with the configuration when the autopilot wasn't engaged, and I had to limp it to the nearest airport and land.

I think the only way that it credits you with landing is if you
    • Land on a runway after talking to the tower and getting clearance
    • Talking to ground and parking
    • Parking in the specific spot it tells you
    • Put on the parking break
    • Turn off the engine
    • Turn off the master avionics

I believe that if you don't do it specifically like that it won't give you credit for landing. I have landed at airports without getting permission to land, and it won't count it. I've landed and turned off the engine and such, and no credit. The only way I've gotten credit is for doing it in that order above.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Ive been watching people fly around, through, over Laura and its providing one of those crazy aging gamer man type moments. Its pulling from live data this massive, mostly accurate cloud and its moving across the world in game. They dont have the winds in the game and for a decent reason really but its really cool tech.

On the winds front I watched an individual land in the outer eastern edges where the winds should be the worst and the winds were minimal. It was just a rain storm really. So he turned up the winds to max got a good demonstration of shortcuts in gaming to add realism but save cycles/fps. The trees stayed stiff and and swayed back and forth on a central point about halfway up. This gives the same illusion of blowing in the wind from high up but saves cycles. And the grass rather than blow just shifted up and down which also provides the same illusion.

Cool stuff from a hobbyist programmer.

Also to whomever recommended the Daher TBM 930.... thank you. This plane is a joy to fly.

Jubal77 wrote: »
    Also to whomever recommended the Daher TBM 930.... thank you. This plane is a joy to fly.

It's pretty amazing, isn't it! I just love it, good speed, good maneuverability, great autopilot.

edited August 2020
    So something super annoying I've found is that your AI copilot fucks with the elevator trim CONSTANTLY.

I ended up fighting it just all the time when flying. I'm trying to trim it so that it flies straight, and it keeps tweaking it and tweaking it. And we end up battling.

This sounds like the problem I was having. I turns out it was because the initial settings for my Thurstmaster had Trim controls set for both the stick and also assigned to the rudder bar on the Throttle. The rudder bar always auto-centers itself, so I have no idea why that was the initial setting for trim.

Anyway, every time I would change the trim on my joystick the trim control on the throttle would mess with it and the end result was my trim was always out of whack. I removed all trim control settings from the throttle and now it works great.

So I think my problem might have been that I hadn't perfectly plugged in the stick to the throttle on my X52 HOTAS. It seems to work after much playing with it. I suspect that when I'd hit the up on the elevator trim, it would compensate by hitting down. But when plugging it in better, it seems to work.

And I don't think I've seen this posted yet, but it sounds like there are a couple of monoliths out there that people are flying into. For instance, if you go into Melbourne, there's a giant skinny one just kinda sitting there.
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/08/microsoft-flight-simulator-added-a-giant-monolith-to-melbourne/
    And it isn't alone:
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/08/microsoft-flight-simulators-melbourne-monolith-has-cousins-in-italy-switzerland/

I only got an hour of flight time in yesterday. I put it on pause and had to go help my partner bring stuff in from grocery shopping, and when I came back, the autopilot became suicidal, and decided to pull stick all the way to the left and push it all the way forward. It also messed with the configuration when the autopilot wasn't engaged, and I had to limp it to the nearest airport and land.

• Turn off the engine

I believe that if you don't do it specifically like that it won't give you credit for landing. I have landed at airports without getting permission to land, and it won't count it. I've landed and turned off the engine and such, and no credit. The only way I've gotten credit is for doing it in that order above.

I've gotten the achievements for clearing landing with ATC and then cutting your engine before you actually land. You don't actually have to turn off your avionics, as far as I know. Could be bugged though. I just know I've gotten credit for landing with my avionics on and my engine idling.

Haven't used the autopilot, but I fly short flights in general.

Synthesis on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I read somewhere at least one of the monoliths was due to a typo in a mapping software. Instead of a building being 12 stories tall it was misreported as 212 stories tall.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Synthesis wrote: »

And it isn't alone:

• Turn off the engine

I've gotten the achievements for clearing landing with ATC and then cutting your engine before you actually land. You don't actually have to turn off your avionics, as far as I know. Could be bugged though. I just know I've gotten credit for landing with my avionics on and my engine idling.

I have that achievement too. However, it didn't end the flight and give me credit for landing until I parked and turned off all the stuff in the right order!

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    When you mean getting credit you mean the screen for ending the flight?

I've had flights that I ended in the parking area with the plane off but I never got that screen. I had to quit to main menu.

But then when I see my flight logs it's there.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Drovek wrote: »
    When you mean getting credit you mean the screen for ending the flight?

I've had flights that I ended in the parking area with the plane off but I never got that screen. I had to quit to main menu.

But then when I see my flight logs it's there.

I am 1 landing per 2 takeoffs. Granted, I did crash once, but many other times I've landed, and quit out, and no credit.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    the courchevel landing is rough in the plane they choose for you

I flew there on the bonanza and landed it no problem

the one they give you likes to drop out of the sky without warning, impressive that people are getting a million or more on that one

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    We're getting the first patch within the next week:

https://www.flightsimulator.com/august-27th-2020-development-update/

Edit: Looks like nothing major, a couple of crashes and some other misc things.

Sir Carcass on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Sorry, I laughed way too hard at the "couple of crashes" part after keeping up with this thread.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7

The first landscape fixes probably need to be "removing buildings that were placed by AI on large runways", but crash fixes (like when you connect a USB controller with the game open) are as important or more so.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

The first landscape fixes probably need to be "removing buildings that were placed by AI on large runways", but crash fixes (like when you connect a USB controller with the game open) are as important or more so.

There are quite a few scenery fixes and upgrades available on the subreddit, made by the community. Apparently the SDK is pretty easy to use.

Just did a flight around Honolulu with the DA62 and it's a really nice plane to fly. Very smooth and easy to control. One of my best landings yet.

I just came across this YouTube channel and thought some of you might like it. He gives a lot of good info while flying.

https://youtu.be/n8R9iTkthes

Just had a (computer) crash on final approach of my first IFR flight that I manually planned (in skyvector) and punched all the waypoints into the machine. It had been so satisfying up to that moment.

I love the TBM 930 because filling in a flight plan on that thing is really easy. Only thing I can't quite figure out is how to avoid "repeating" a waypoint when you add the approach already in-flight. For some reason if you're already past the initial waypoint, it wants to go back and take it from the beginning.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    I haven't been able to even get into the FSEconomy website (it's getting hammered right now), but shit, it looks really awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgrXPDDEYuw

steam_sig.png( < . . .

And it isn't alone:

• Turn off the engine

I have that achievement too. However, it didn't end the flight and give me credit for landing until I parked and turned off all the stuff in the right order!

Yeah, that's weird--I checked my flight log and got credited with a landing so long as I parked somewhere and shut off my engine. I'm not even certain I shut off my electrical system either. It sounds mildly bugged.

edited August 2020
    Just had a (computer) crash on final approach of my first IFR flight that I manually planned (in skyvector) and punched all the waypoints into the machine. It had been so satisfying up to that moment.

I love the TBM 930 because filling in a flight plan on that thing is really easy. Only thing I can't quite figure out is how to avoid "repeating" a waypoint when you add the approach already in-flight. For some reason if you're already past the initial waypoint, it wants to go back and take it from the beginning.

Is it because the approach starts from the IF so if you are past it and begin the approach, it will take it back to the fix?

Are you pulling the approach plates and doing precision/non precision approaches on sky vector?

I'm not super familiar with skyvector. I've been using it to give me the GS and ETE of my IFR flight plans since it calcuates that using forecast weather, but I've been using flight plan go. Flight plan go makes it easy to store and pull up all the procedures and airport information.

furbat on
    Also, if there is holding in lieu of a PT at your IAF GPS will lead you back to the iaf depending on your heading.

I know some of those words...

So first, I'm really new at this so maybe I'm not using it properly. Basically my idea was to set the approach once the tower had actually confirmed it. I don't even know how I would add the holding pattern if that was required of me, come to think of it.

I think my issue was using the "Load and Activate" button for the approach instead of just Load. Not sure if doing a Direct to the next waypoint could have saved me from doing the roundabout.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited September 2020
    Here's Kotaku's "review" of Flight Simulator for the curious.

And yes, it is Kotaku being Kotaku, for better and worse. :tell_me_more:

Synthesis on
    Your use of quotes around review is well placed... Eesh!

Yeah heh. The author couldnt find the mines, a core point of his argument, in the original piece and got called out for it in the comments.

Here's what I've done with my X52 setup.

I changed the trim to be the little slider thing on the throttle. That works waaaaay better than using the hat on the stick, and it doesn't keep autocorrecting itself for some unknown reason. I had to tweak the sensitivity in the game a little bit, because there are minute changes that happen to keep it level when at speed, and it will never unlikely be all the way up or down.

Also, I've found out that plugging it in before starting MSFS is the way to go. Plug it in, go to the Windows Joystick Control Panel and make sure everything works. I've found out that if I don't do this first, MSFS won't register all the buttons all the time. If I either plug it in and then immediately launch MSFS, or plug it in after MSFS is going, it won't register the buttons. Going through the Control Panel just makes sure that everything works and looks correct, but it's a step that shouldn't be needed.

I've also found that there is a mismatch between SkyVector (https://skyvector.com/) and MSFS as far as frequencies and approaches and whatnot. What I mean is that a few times I've thought I've gone to do the tower, but it's not the same frequency. Or the runway is off, like say Runway 25 in game vs 26 IRL or something.

I see other players, but how do I communicate with them? Is this where I have to do that VATSIM thing?

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Wow. Yeah it seems like that guy really just wanted to write an essay on cloud computing and its strengths/weaknesses when used in gaming, and was really upset that he had to review Microsoft Flight Simulator instead.

This seems pretty awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYjz_pO9To

It's a subscription service and I think it's kinda expensive, personally, but there's apparently a decent free alternative.

I literally just watched that last night.

It seems like a much better service than fseconomy... and actually operational?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited September 2020
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah, the price is not even bad if this thing is functional. I still can't even make an FSEconomy account to this day.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .

Yeah, the price is not even bad if this thing is functional. I still can't even make an FSEconomy account to this day.

Gotta say.. I'm having fun with this. I didn't expect to but it's pretty neat. You can even set up partnerships and virtual airlines (only in the survival server).

Gotta say.. I'm having fun with this. I didn't expect to but it's pretty neat. You can even set up partnerships and virtual airlines (only in the survival server).

Took me quite a few tries to understand how it all worked together, but it's really awesome once you figure it out. The Work Order thing is amazing, and I just used it quite handily for sending AI pilots on missions on rental aircraft. Right now I'm waiting to relocate "myself" to fly a mission personally, while another pilot is completing a mission for me.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    I like how I can set up a few missions while I'm at work or sleeping, it's kind of great.

I need to figure out how to do the partnership stuff so I can do a short haul and have them take it the rest of the way. I want to set up a few FBOs and have aircraft rotating back and forth... but I'm going to restart on the "realistic" server that allows AI.

Boooo. On September 17th, Xbox game pass for PC is leaving beta and the price is going up to $9.99.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Boooo. On September 17th, Xbox game pass for PC is leaving beta and the price is going up to $9.99.

I thought that everyone paying the $4.99 gets to keep that rate after the price increase... Right?

Edit: Darn, just read that it will go up after the next one... I'll have to reconsider if I want to keep paying that much since I don't play much per month.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7