Options

[12 Monkeys] And Neunundneunzig Red Balloons

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Well ultimately everything in the show has already happened. Like it's fairly clear that the corpse that originated the virus
    is Cole's body since he reacts to being near it, so the virus only exists because someone already infected with it ended up trapped back in time to then be found, studied and replicated.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I loved:
    that whole timeline altering sequence. Although now they've retconned a lot of Katarina's/Jone's more heinous acts (they never attacked the other DARPA compound), and gave her a husband.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I loved:
    that whole timeline altering sequence. Although now they've retconned a lot of Katarina's/Jone's more heinous acts (they never attacked the other DARPA compound), and gave her a husband.
    I think the attack still happened

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Yes hello I love this show.
    The way Cole reacts to food in season one is basically me on the daily.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Another solid episode, it is getting a bit hard to follow in some spots (i.e. I couldn't remember who Aaron was), but they've set up a good side plot here, now that the virus is somewhat delayed, why are the Messengers trying to kill Primarys, and why does that only go for Thomas, since we know Jennifer is fine through 2044.

• Options
    yeah im interested in seeing where this red garden / forest / "the witness" thing is going

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    yeah im interested in seeing where this red garden / forest / "the witness" thing is going

If it's anything like "Where the Red Fern Grows" I will be a sad boy.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that they were actually able to change the time stream. It was looking like things were pre-ordained in the first season.

Ramse continues to be the best character, even if he looks funny with hair.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    God damn, they catapulted Deakin to best character in the show pretty quickly there.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This season has been great for the change ups they've had with all the characters.

So a thing which caught my ear
    did Jennifer Goines actually remember Cassie going back in time, pre-destination paradox style, or did she lie in the future to get them to send Cassie because her old self wanted to make a new friend?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    The Tall Man
    What was his deal before this? I keep getting him confused with Jennifer's dad.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    The Tall Man
    What was his deal before this? I keep getting him confused with Jennifer's dad.
    He was a 12 Monkeys scary henchman. Who's whole thing was leaving the flower petals at the scene of people he killed.

So we now know where he got the quirk from, and also why he's a 12 Monkeys agent.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I can imagine she was getting a bit stinky, stuck there, in the future with a bunch of testosterone-filled maniac guys/Deacon.

The 12 monkeys finally did her a favor with that bath. :P Plague or bath, plague or bath? ... Ooh. Such a tough choice. :D

• Options
    This show is going in some strange directions. Not sure if it's going to get another season.
    The Witness apparently being able to 'quantum leap' straight into people's bodies and control them? That's some pretty strong tea.

It made more sense when they were just trying to stop a pandemic, not this whole 'end of time' business, and apparently being up against a somewhat supernatural adversary.

• Options
    It's gone much more sci-fi, like if you compare Kyle Reese-Cole from the first episode to the happy go lucky, save everyone Cole of now, the difference is stark. The pandemic must still happen since their future is still like it is, that's what's weird.

• Options
    They said an episode or two ago that the pandemic still happens, but they managed to postpone it a few years and lessen the outbreak.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    This show is going in some strange directions. Not sure if it's going to get another season.
    The Witness apparently being able to 'quantum leap' straight into people's bodies and control them? That's some pretty strong tea.

It made more sense when they were just trying to stop a pandemic, not this whole 'end of time' business, and apparently being up against a somewhat supernatural adversary.

The pandemic...
    Has always been bound up in time travel though, since the machine created itself which helped the 12 Monkeys disperse the plague.
    It's gone much more sci-fi, like if you compare Kyle Reese-Cole from the first episode to the happy go lucky, save everyone Cole of now, the difference is stark. The pandemic must still happen since their future is still like it is, that's what's weird.
    What's weird is how Cassie is still noted to die in the plague in 2019. She is quite thoroughly outside of the time stream now, since she's spent most of her recent subjective history in 2044. I'm wondering if this will eventually come up as the problem of known events merely having to "look the part" to outside observers - i.e. just because the newspaper says she died, doesn't mean that's actually what happened.

• Options
    God damn.

Like I was a bit blase about how CW the show had kind of become in the early episodes of this season, but this was an earned episode.
    Earned Jennifer weirdness, earned hand holding, earned twist reveal. And a solid ending. Probably one of the best episodes of the show and it had almost 0 Deakin, which is saying a lot.

Cassie still dies so far in 2019, or appears to.

I think maybe the injuries inflicted by repeating the loop where unnecessary, the impetus being to get out of the loop. Especially since they apparently did it a bunch more times off screen. Them being there a looooooooooong time together would have been interesting.

Only thing I am confused about is that they dragged Katerina away from Hannah. Now from earlier loops this seems to be so she can be executed.

Obviously she isn't.

So Kat has to be dragged away to allow Hannah to 'die' but what was she dragged away for?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    They thought...
    that she was a plague victim. Everyone else was in hazmat suits. Getting rid of the body was pretty much be top priority.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Best part of the episode was...
    "Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    This show hasn't been getting a lot of chatter lately, and that's too bad because the last few episodes have been really good. All the main characters are constantly backstabbing each other, but they all have valid reasons for doing so. Todd Stashwick as Deacon is what Pope on Falling Skies should have been if that show wasn't so determined to always have Tom Mason be right. Emily Hampshire is absolutely killing it as Jennifer.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    There isn't a whole lot to say, but it's been great!

This show is really good at earning it's moments.

• Options
    I'm here, I'm watching.

It's been really solid, love it, love hte forethought into time-related setups, I'm just always worried that the things I love will be taken away.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I will say that one thing that I keep wondering about at the moment:
    Is the implied paradox with Cassie being in the future a lot of the time, but still being around to die in 2019. With the machine destroyed and her sent back to 1958, at the moment she can't possibly be there. Conversely, the machine gets destroyed by time ripping itself apart, so possibly that's allowed to be "indeterminate" for her subjective timeline unless they undo the damage.

Of course they have lots of other outs for that, especially since they pulled a Doctor Who and "faked" an event that was supposed to be determinate for the creation of time travel.

Basically I really really love the time travel mythos they've got going, since they frequently imply that you can be all timey-whimey and use free-will to change things, but getting off the critical path of time is also just really hard.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    I'm here, I'm watching.

It's been really solid, love it, love hte forethought into time-related setups, I'm just always worried that the things I love will be taken away.

I've splintered in from the future AlphaRomero. I'm here to tell you it's all ok.
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/29/12-monkeys-season-3-renewal

• Options
    I'm here, I'm watching.

I've splintered in from the future AlphaRomero. I'm here to tell you it's all ok.
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/29/12-monkeys-season-3-renewal

Thanks for finding that. I was looking around for news yesterday and couldn't find anything.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    i like this show but it got a lot more confusing when it moved on from the plague to the witness.

im hoping whenever the fuck they get to titan it makes more sense

• Options
    I did prefer the relatively harder sci-fi of the first season over this season's big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff. The strength of the characters carries the show now.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    I almost thought that Jones was going to Splinter herself at the end there, join them in 1957, rather than choose timey-wimey erasure by the storm.
    She's had the injections, after all.

Looking forward to seeing season 3, maybe we'll see who/what the witness is, rather than some semi-supernatural brain-jacking entity.

• Options
    There's another episode next week.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Jesus time-jumping Christ.

Wonder how they're gonna get out of this one.

• Options

Yeah, I really didn't expect both groups to fail so badly.
    Cole has to be the witness, the set-up seems so obvious now.

• Options

Yeah, I really didn't expect both groups to fail so badly.
    Cole has to be the witness, the set-up seems so obvious now.
    But at the same time, without Cole there is no show, and ultimately I'm sure Cole is the corpse that sources the virus too unless they've dropped that plotline. I think its too obvious that it has to be Cole given the house, but their son? But that would mean Carrie carries the child, abandons it at some point and goes off to fulfill her destiny at the CDC. It's so complex.

Reviewers have pointed out that the Witness' time map says "Home 1957-1959" which singles out Cole. I think one or two episodes ago someone pointed out that Cole was becoming more of a leader, which would be reflected in his leading a time cult, but yeah, I don't know how they resolve that with it meaning we potentially lose Cole as a lead.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    anytime i try to predict things in this show i am horribly wrong. they are really good at subverting the clear and obvious path.

basically: i have no fucking idea how they get out of this one but i cant wait to find out

Al_wat on
  • Options
    That episode went places.

Also Deacon with the genre savvy line of the episode!

• Options
    Which line?

Also its super sad this thread doesn't get enough love. Its the only show I've seen in a long time that not only keeps me guessing, but earns its twists with stuff set up episodes or seasons in advance.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Probably because there's not a lot to complain about? ;)

Also hi! I like this show. Not least because there have just been way too many shows that treat time travel as nothing more than an excuse to wear period outfits, and otherwise have piss-poor plots written by dumb people that don't even seem to think about the implications of time travel. Not this show though!

Though to be fair, season two has kind of laid it on a bit heavy with the mystic time mumbo jumbo.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    It's fantasy with time magic, it's fun.

Most recent episode speculation.
    they are just way too obviously signaling that he's the witness, so probably either her or their kid.

Their kid being the witness seems like the appropriate amount of fucked up.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    "Flag on the play Otter Eyes. Yes, I will always call you that"

• Options
    So I have no idea what's going on, and I love it.
    Although Deacon dying sucks, but I suppose his story had sort of reached it's conclusion - he'd arced fully from villain to genre-aware hero. But I'm wondering if Jennifer Goines going back to France is actually going to lead to her becoming her own grandmother or something?