Options

[12 Monkeys] And Neunundneunzig Red Balloons

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Well, that's certainly one way to write yourself out of a corner. Fix it with timey-wimey tea.

And holy crap the whole of Titan being able to splinter is cool.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So that was the original actress for the movie version of Cassie wasn't it?

They need to make Bruce Willis play the witness

Al_wat on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    So that was the original actress for the movie version of Cassie wasn't it?

They need to make Bruce Willis play the witness

Yes, yes it was.

Which I didn't realize. Which...is a huge potential mindfuck.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I love that they embraced the WTF this season. This show truly went from a mediocre to passable idea and execution to a wacky mindfuck of an ensemble and just ran away with it. I'm totally psyched for Season 3 (which is not something I said when season 1 ended).

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, few things -

Season 3 is premiering May 19, but it's not going to be weekly - SyFy is squirting the entire 10 episode season out in 3 days - 4 on the 1st day, and then 3 each for the next 2 days.

But to those concerned it's a total dump job and we won't get an end, they also announced the show is renewed for a 4th and final season in 2018.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/12-monkeys-renewed-final-season-premiere-date-binge-1202044781/

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Weird choice, I think a week to decompress is actually necessary for this show, but good news either way.

• Options
    I actually really like that they have concretely decided on an end

this is easily the type of show that could have just been cancelled on some massive cliffhanger

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Suggestion for new thread title: [12 Monkeys] And Neunundneunzig Red Balloons. :D:lol:

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Where we're going, we won't need any [12 Monkeys]

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Shit. Totally forgot about this. Are the first 4 episodes being rebroadcast or streaming anywhere?

• Options
    Shit. Totally forgot about this. Are the first 4 episodes being rebroadcast or streaming anywhere?
    IDK? http://www.canistream.it/search/tv/12 monkeys

• Options
    Watched the first four episodes, spoilers! :
    Deacon somehow survives multiple stabbings, body looks like swiss cheese, has daddy issues during his recovery that reminded me of 'Mr. Robot'.

Cole meeting his future Splinter-suited self was great. "Hey asshole, meet future asshole!" 8-)

Ramsey is still a giant untrustworthy ass to Cole. Who knows if Baby-Witness is even susceptible to having his Mother die? Time/causality has been fucked around with that much, he's his own predestination paradox.

Emily Hampshire is having the time of her life as Jennifer stuck in the past. "Je Splintair!" Now the early 20th century has Aliens and Jaws. :lol:

I really want to see two people in Splinter-suits fighting across time. Like a non-linear combat sequence. That would be amazing.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Saw the first two episodes, and I'm going to be very sad when this show ends, because it's kinda crazy good.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    "Je Splintaire!" :D :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKkxMLcWuo

Jennifer gets all the best lines this season.

On episode 10:
    Holy shit they should never have let her out of that electrified cage. What a coup d'état!

• Options
    Man, what? I just finished episode 10 and didn't realize we get a season 4... Imagine the whirlpool of emotions I just swam through.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Suggestion for new thread title: [12 Monkeys] And Neunundneunzig Red Balloons. :D:lol:

I have no idea what this means since I haven't had a chance to catch up since Season 1 yet, but... done!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Question. Season 2 kinda flew off the rails for me, with time being shown in different inconsistent ways based on what they need for the plot of this week's episode. Sometimes it creates loops until you do something right, sometimes paradoxes create storms but only in a forest near the base in 2043, sometimes it's spoken of as an almost conscious mystical force... it annoyed me. I like my shows to have consistent ground rules, not rules that are thrown out the window whenever the writer wants something cool to happen in his script. So does season 3 still do that, or does it play by some consistent rules?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Question. Season 2 kinda flew off the rails for me, with time being shown in different inconsistent ways based on what they need for the plot of this week's episode. Sometimes it creates loops until you do something right, sometimes paradoxes create storms but only in a forest near the base in 2043, sometimes it's spoken of as an almost conscious mystical force... it annoyed me. I like my shows to have consistent ground rules, not rules that are thrown out the window whenever the writer wants something cool to happen in his script. So does season 3 still do that, or does it play by some consistent rules?
    Season 3 is much more consistent. It's mostly about the struggle between three factions with time machines, and the theme of parenthood.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Season 3 is much more consistent. It's mostly about the struggle between three factions with time machines, and the theme of parenthood.

Do they ever explain how Cassie managed to not only remember the timeline Cole erased in the season 2 finale but actually remain pregnant from it?

sig.gif
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

I didn't notice much of a change between 2 and 3, they still a bit fast and loose and magical.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

Do they ever explain how Cassie managed to not only remember the timeline Cole erased in the season 2 finale but actually remain pregnant from it?
    I'd have to go back and watch season 2 again, but IIRC:
    She remembers because of the tea, and is still pregnant because of Jone's injections. My memory sucks though, so I could be wrong.

• Options
    I would say its better than season 2 with the "time rules consistency" thing but still not great. That said I still like the show a lot.

• Options
    It's still 2000% more consistent than most other shows that have time travel these days. Looking at you, Legends of Tomorrow and Flash...

• Options
    edited May 2017
    So glad this gets one more season. That look on Olivia's face...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aFgGIoO6qA

"No one understands time travel!"

Zilla360 on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Finally got through the season.

Holy shit that was good.

And this show has some amazing sets and props.

EDIT: Also whoever the casting director is, they're really good at casting terrifying people.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Season 4 is airing now! 11 episodes and we're done. :D

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Season 4 is airing now! 11 episodes and we're done. :D
    This is both awesomes, and the opposite of awesomes.

• Options
    I return to state that the machine is possibly one of my favourite props of ever.

Also Jennifer's heist was great.

• Options
    Yeah, that heist was hilarious. :lol:

Conleth Hill from Game of Thrones as a messenger and police detective! I'd never seen him with hair before. :)

And Olivia has gone
    full Time-Vader (becoming the witness), though how interfacing directly with the time stream works is anyone's guess. Titan timey-wimey 'magic'/tech.

Jones talking to her past self was awesome, too.

• Options
    Oh damn I knew that voice sounded familiar!

• Options
    So this latest batch managed to be awesome while concluding with possibly the most depressing yet realistic take on having a time machine:
    aka "what would've happened if you assassinated Hitler after Germany had occupied France? Probably exactly what they showed - Himmler takes power, in large World War 2 proceeds as it did because by then you still weren't going to dislodge Germany without D-Day.

I'm also really glad
    Deacon didn't actually revert to being a full bad guy - he's still just an asshole, but he's actually a true believer in the time travel cause. Since he got treated for his disease he's always been portrayed in a sort of pragmatic "survive and get the mission done" sort of way.

Also re: Hannah - I really love that they've kind of kept the "feral" fighting style she has as a consistent theme. Anytime she's in a fight there's a sort of look and stance she reverts to that's extremely unsettling.

• Options
    I wish they (the writers) had stayed a bit more consistent with:
    Olivia's powers as the witness/TimeVader. Her being able to 'possess' her past selves was cool. But... being able to possess Jennifer through the time-tea felt a bit... I don't know... off? It's like every time they get stuck in the writers room, (I imagine) one of them will shout "Time Tea!" The deus ex machina that solves all timey-wimey narrative conundrums! They could have had one of the cultists/Titan builders just bump into the gang and report back to Olivia instead.
    But the show has been full on techno-magical/technomancy for a while now, so hey ho, whatever. I'm still really enjoying it. :)

• Options
    Season four episode eight:
    Jennifer is as ever a delight. "Kakariko Village!" :lol:

Watching Olivia burn all of those primaries was fucking chilling. "Don't scream, THINK!" :bigfrown:

• Options
    And oh_shit_just_got_real.png :
    0bspi3twhbdh.png
    :o

• Options
    So the only solution I can see here is:
    Cole actually needs to become the witness. Take himself outside of time.

• Options
    The ending:
    Cole and Cassie together, in the now, but not forever. Olivia the Time-witch/Time-vader is dead, splintered in half, becomes the source of the virus, but presumably Markridge never finds her virus-infected corpse frozen in the ice(?) And yet... it just feels all too neat. If Cole had actually been erased by the primary code sequence, the ending would have been much more poignant. But instead it's 'everybody lives happily ever after'. And what about someone else inventing splinter tech? All that research would still be around, IIRC?

I'm going to miss this show. :( Might go back and re-watch S3. Je splintaire! :D

• Options
    The ending:
    Cole and Cassie together, in the now, but not forever. Olivia the Time-witch/Time-vader is dead, splintered in half, becomes the source of the virus, but presumably Markridge never finds her virus-infected corpse frozen in the ice(?) And yet... it just feels all too neat. If Cole had actually been erased by the primary code sequence, the ending would have been much more poignant. But instead it's 'everybody lives happily ever after'. And what about someone else inventing splinter tech? All that research would still be around, IIRC?

I'm going to miss this show. :( Might go back and re-watch S3. Je splintaire! :D

I thought the ending hit all the right emotional beats.

But I'm pretty sure...
    Olivia got splintered back only in the timeline where Titan existed. So Markridge never find her because once Cole is erased, it's never built and so the virus never exists because she was never there.

Re: splintertech - remember Catarina's husband was funded by the 12 Monkeys to develop it in the previous timeline, so in the current now he probably has some ideas but he never bothered following through of them - it looks more like he threw himself into fatherhood, possibly enabled by Catarina's having residual memories of the other timeline.

But the thing I swear was there: the autumn leaves turn just a little bit more red when Cole goes and meets Cassie at the end.

• Options
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    It was interesting seeing ads for the next season of Suits during the finale. (The actress who plays Cassandra is a lawyer on that show).

Didn't realize it was coming up so soon.