Options

[12 Monkeys] And Neunundneunzig Red Balloons

1235»

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    One of my all time favorite sci-fi shows, shows in general, and show endings. Loved the choice to
    make it open to interpretation too. On the surface it's the ultimate happy ending for everyone, and if that's what you want it's a satisfying ending. Meanwhile the final shot being the red leaf allows the option/possibility of her having not stopped the timer and getting the happy ending she wanted all along throughout the last half hour, if that's the ending you prefer in case you weren't satisfied that the alternative seemed just a bit too good to be true.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I think they did a really nice job wrapping this up. I hope people come back and discover this on streaming as the years go by, because I think the Army of the 12 Monkeys is really just the 12 viewers who stuck with it, and it deserves a lot more.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I have to say their format for the last couple seasons showing multiple episodes in bursts really helped it. The show is much easier to track when they do a bunch of episodes in a row. I really enjoyed it they did a far better job with it than I would have imagined when they first were talking about it.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I think they did a really nice job wrapping this up. I hope people come back and discover this on streaming as the years go by, because I think the Army of the 12 Monkeys is really just the 12 viewers who stuck with it, and it deserves a lot more.

This one is going to be on my highly recommended list for "shows which end well and clearly had some planning put into them".

Also they did a pretty damn amazing job with the characters...
    Specifically Deacon. Like, he is just the absolute bad guy when we first meet him, and he's still all morally grey for most of the show. But there's this gradual but definite transition of him into this really comprehensible, sympathetic character so that by the time we get to season 4 you're going "damnit they're leaving him behind! Noooo!"

It was the weirdest moment when I was watching and realized "holy shit, I'm completely hoping they save Deacon!"

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

This one is going to be on my highly recommended list for "shows which end well and clearly had some planning put into them".

Specifically Deacon. Like, he is just the absolute bad guy when we first meet him, and he's still all morally grey for most of the show. But there's this gradual but definite transition of him into this really comprehensible, sympathetic character so that by the time we get to season 4 you're going "damnit they're leaving him behind! Noooo!"

It was the weirdest moment when I was watching and realized "holy shit, I'm completely hoping they save Deacon!"
    I like the ending where cassie goes up and hugs him and tells him he is a good man. But the time period he came to help from was before he even knew her he did a good job of looking both confused as hell and touched.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

I like the ending where cassie goes up and hugs him and tells him he is a good man. But the time period he came to help from was before he even knew her he did a good job of looking both confused as hell and touched.

Yeah that was a great a moment, because of course that guy was still in there somewhere at that time too.