As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I am totally making a psychopath colony and running it as a human parts warehouse. Really wish you could harvest parts from the dead, as long as they were fresh.

maybe combined with a cannibal frozen wasteland colony.

This was my last colony exactly, and it works perfectly (except that part about subjects dying and leaving all those wonderful organs to waste).

The only downside, as should be obvious, is that finding any other colonists who are also psychotic is pretty rare, and so your colony either has to stay super small (not so bad if you have robots), or they all get completely addicted to the drugs they take to make the bad memories go away, resulting in lots of lung and liver disease.

nah just set the start options that everyone gets the psychopath trait.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    The Florida start.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Rain Forests: Everyone is dead from the plague

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Man, I have so many games but keep coming back to RimWorld. I'm building a mountain base with a private beach now. It's gonna be great, you guys.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think I found a bug... I saved an alcoholic, but then when I loaded the game the next time they were apparently addicted to go-juice. Anyone else had this?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    The Florida start.

I'd prefer not to have my colonists eat eachothers faces, trying to fuck an alligator and end up getting eaten.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    My standard organ harvesting is:
    One lung
    One Kidney
    Both eyes
    All other extremities
    The heart or Liver

If I wanted a social training dummy, I'll harvest both eyes, one lung, one kidney and stop there. They're not escaping if they can't see.

I'm horrified but also impressed.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    APPARENTLY, though I haven't tested it yet, the way you can harvest organs without actually pissing off your colonists that you've harvested said organs from some random person who up until 5 minutes ago were trying to kill them, boo hoo hoo those glass hearts errr hummm what was I saying?

Oh yes, the way you can harvest organs without incurring the mood malus is to implant an artificial/bionic replacement which will pop out the original organ assuming it isn't damaged in some way. Then you can remove the bionic implant because it isn't considered as harvesting natural organs. This then means you could technically remove multiple critical organs from the same source but if you're transplanting an artificial organ so you can remove multiple organics, you're not exactly gaining any money because the moment you remove that artificial/bionic replacement they're going to die and you lose anything that's left in the donor.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So I was poking through the Steam store last week and this showed up on my radar. And now I'm watching streams of it on Twitch and rationalizing buying it (I haven't jumped yet......yet).

Also, holy fuck, there are apparently a WORLD of mods out there for this game.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Yes it is extremely customizeable, and also just generally a great game. The guy is still pouring work into it as well which is cool. Easily worth the $30 price tag.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Woohoo! Finally a mod that allows a choice in who gets what food! No more battling your own pawns to avoid feeding awesome meals to prisoners!

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30708#msg313430

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Speaking of food, is there a way to make Packaged Survival Meals? Making pemmican for a long trip in orbital drop pods, power armour and charge rifles seems... backwards.

Fun time last night! An enemy siege drop-podded right in here:
    1761EB305C157D0CD39BED9797A261C1CF23D333

Cue mortars, then fires, then running around and screaming.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    Speaking of food, is there a way to make Packaged Survival Meals? Making pemmican for a long trip in orbital drop pods, power armour and charge rifles seems... backwards.

Fun time last night! An enemy siege drop-podded right in here:
    1761EB305C157D0CD39BED9797A261C1CF23D333

Cue mortars, then fires, then running around and screaming.

Not in the base game. You can buy them from traders, then like, save them in a forbidden room until you need them.

Or you can install one of the several mods that extends cooking with things like canned meals or straight up craftable survival meals

• Options
    Vegetable Garden is a must install mod honestly

• Options

legit thought this was a prisoner mod at first. I think dwarf fortress and rimworld broke me.

• Options

legit thought this was a prisoner mod at first. I think dwarf fortress and rimworld broke me.

It is really poorly named

it should be named the "completely overhauls virtually all the food systems in the game as well as animal product crafting"

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Holy crap that makes me want to re-install and start up a new game. Thank you in one breath and damn you in the next!

• Options
    Vegetable Garden is an amazing mod, I loves it

You can make tacos and cheeseburgers and ice cream!

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    The only mod I've ever bothered with is Prepare Carefully. Might be time for me to get going proper with that.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    I don't even use Prepare Carefully anymore, I use Validate Start. It lets me go "I want to have a shooter, a miner, a constructor, a grower, and a researcher, but I don't really care about everything else".

I like it, it feels less like cheating, since all it's doing is rerolling all your colonists over and over until it gets a combo that fulfills the requirements you give it.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    How is it cheating to start with three godlike colonists and 10k pemmican? :rotate:

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I don't even use Prepare Carefully anymore, I use Validate Start. It lets me go "I want to have a shooter, a miner, a constructor, a grower, and a researcher, but I don't really care about everything else".

I like it, it feels less like cheating, since all it's doing is rerolling all your colonists over and over until it gets a combo that fulfills the requirements you give it.

Those were literally the only thing I would use Prepare Carefully for anyway. I don't want uber-colonists, I just want colonists where the start of the game isn't a hideously tedious grind because I didn't spend half an hour rerolling colonists with the basic necessary skillset.

• Options

Those were literally the only thing I would use Prepare Carefully for anyway. I don't want uber-colonists, I just want colonists where the start of the game isn't a hideously tedious grind because I didn't spend half an hour rerolling colonists with the basic necessary skillset.

Yep. This mod is definitely for you then.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=822205827

• Options

It doesn't feel cheaty either. All the good food with nice little bonuses requires extra crops and more processing. Being able to blend leather makes the whole thing worthwhile on it's own

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

It doesn't feel cheaty either. All the good food with nice little bonuses requires extra crops and more processing. Being able to blend leather makes the whole thing worthwhile on it's own

I just grow huge fields of strawberries.

Strawberry steak, with mashed strawberries with strawberry gravy, and saute'd strawberries with a strawberry glaze for every meal, for every one, for. ever.

• Options

yeah, the bonus food all requires basically a dedicated cook because it's multi-step process.

the blended leather and cloth stuff (you don't grow cloth anymore, you grow devilstrand or cotton that has to be processed into devilstrand cloth or cloth or whatever) is cool

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Stir Fry and Stews are direct upgrades to Fine/Lavish meals due to the blood filtration and manipulation bonuses they give. I typically start with simple meals/salads until my cook gets to the skill level required to bulk make stir fries then swap over. Stew is a little bit harder since it requires high nutrition meats/non-meats as it has a 4/4 nutrition requirement which is 80 of each if you were using standard 0.05 nutrition resource so you're really going to be needing the vegetable garden stuff.

In my current soon to be retired colony (due to breaking some mods. Whooops!) I had 10 9x9 fields, 4 of them are full density fields while the remaining 6 were 1/3 density for tree plantations. I had those 4 full density fields rotating to whatever crop I needed which was usually beans, cotton, healroot, tea, coffee, sugar etc... The tree plantations were fruit trees like apples, peaches, oranges.

You need more room for the trees because they have lower yields/time and of course they take up more space. However their advantage is that they're much lower work required for the harvests. You just have a huge load of stuff for your haulers once the crop does come in.
    Beans are used to make Tofu, which is a higher nutrition value meat substitute, so just having Tofu available is already going to allow you to make stews since you can whack in 80 rice if you want because there's three resource spots when cooking.

But regardless, VG makes it so much easier to create a self-sufficient colony that doesn't require a lot of animal keeping and the waste associated with that. I almost never need to bum rush hydroponics nowadays though I'd still use hydroponics if I'm space limited and/or I can't get a reasonably sized greenhouse established.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options

Strawberry steak, with mashed strawberries with strawberry gravy, and saute'd strawberries with a strawberry glaze for every meal, for every one, for. ever.

Yes but that requires like 3 levels of research to do

• Options
    Stir Fry and Stews are direct upgrades to Fine/Lavish meals due to the blood filtration and manipulation bonuses they give. I typically start with simple meals/salads until my cook gets to the skill level required to bulk make stir fries then swap over. Stew is a little bit harder since it requires high nutrition meats/non-meats as it has a 4/4 nutrition requirement which is 80 of each if you were using standard 0.05 nutrition resource so you're really going to be needing the vegetable garden stuff.

In my current soon to be retired colony (due to breaking some mods. Whooops!) I had 10 9x9 fields, 4 of them are full density fields while the remaining 6 were 1/3 density for tree plantations. I had those 4 full density fields rotating to whatever crop I needed which was usually beans, cotton, healroot, tea, coffee, sugar etc... The tree plantations were fruit trees like apples, peaches, oranges.

You need more room for the trees because they have lower yields/time and of course they take up more space. However their advantage is that they're much lower work required for the harvests. You just have a huge load of stuff for your haulers once the crop does come in.
    Beans are used to make Tofu, which is a higher nutrition value meat substitute, so just having Tofu available is already going to allow you to make stews since you can whack in 80 rice if you want because there's three resource spots when cooking.

But regardless, VG makes it so much easier to create a self-sufficient colony that doesn't require a lot of animal keeping and the waste associated with that. I almost never need to bum rush hydroponics nowadays though I'd still use hydroponics if I'm space limited and/or I can't get a reasonably sized greenhouse established.

Baked goods are also pretty great and flour takes forever to go bad

I took to weathering winters by baking endless stacks of bread

• Options

Baked goods are also pretty great and flour takes forever to go bad

I took to weathering winters by baking endless stacks of bread

Yeah, I love the bakery stuff, it's a lot of fun to balance.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    A fair number of the more prominent Rimworld streamers have been using Make War Not Love since it helps to keep the game from chugging at higher levels of colony ....maturity?

Basically, any time there is an interaction between colonists, the game remembers that action for everyone in the colony (I'm sure I'm saying this wrong).

It apparently makes recruitment a bit more difficult, but the mod's writer is supposedly working on fixes for that.

• Options
    So people who mod the hell out of the game: What mods do you think are necessary for a beginning player or should they stick with the base for a bit? I generally don't mod my game, but I'm going to edit the OP with some recommended mods. I want to make sure to separate out the crazy ones for advanced players though to not overwhelm a beginner.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    A fair number of the more prominent Rimworld streamers have been using Make War Not Love since it helps to keep the game from chugging at higher levels of colony ....maturity?

Basically, any time there is an interaction between colonists, the game remembers that action for everyone in the colony (I'm sure I'm saying this wrong).

It apparently makes recruitment a bit more difficult, but the mod's writer is supposedly working on fixes for that.

what is this mod

I have been looking for it

a streamer I watched was using it, but no one would link it

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

what is this mod

I have been looking for it

a streamer I watched was using it, but no one would link it

Is this it @Mugsley ?

Several Puffins' Social Mods (Rumours&Deception, Romance Diversified, ..)
    https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27288.0

• Options
    Fuck y'alls cannibal colonies

I'm gonna make a colony that only eats pumpkin pie

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

You monster.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

You monster.

it will be known as Paradise

• Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular

My colonists eat nothing but lavish tofu/tofu meals from my vast bean fields. Enjoy your bean curd peasants!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pumpkin is cool because you can make dough using it instead of egg

so you can make dough entirely from growable things: pumpkin instead of egg, soymilk instead of milk, flour, and sugar