As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm waiting to get Peach and Yoshi from the Mario line too since I prefer them to the ssb versions.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I prefer the SSB Peach by quite a bit.

I was on the fence with Bowser though. Went with the SSB one and now I kind of regret it. The other one looks like he's standing up slightly straighter and that might better hide how he's out of scale with everyone else.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I like her detail but don't care for her pose lol.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I think the Super Mario line look really boring. I can understand someone liking the Luigi pose more, but the Smash Bros Peach amiibo is really really nice. But opinions and all that.

XJ1GZkT.jpg

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I think the Super Mario line look really boring. I can understand someone liking the Luigi pose more, but the Smash Bros Peach amiibo is really really nice. But opinions and all that.

XJ1GZkT.jpg

Pose wise I prefer the SSB version but for the face I'd have to go with the Super Mario one.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Currently I have Pit, Bowser, Toon Link, Sheik, Dedede, Ike, and Lucario en route from various locations. Everything else I own or have preordered.

Except Rosalina. We don't have a retailer for her in Canada yet but worst case scenario my friend has an extra imported one that he'll give me if I can't find my own.

We do, actually.

Oh, I see you got one.

What's the word for when Mega Man and Sonic are supposed to come out?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Toad is available for pre-order again at Walmart. That's twice at WalMart and at least twice at Gamestop. I think that's evidence Nintendo is ramping up production on future lines.

What's the word for when Mega Man and Sonic are supposed to come out?
    For the US at least, don't know about Canada:

Mega Man should be at TRU on the 13th, Gamestop, WalMart, and Best Buy on the 20th.

Sonic should be at Best Buy, WalMart and TRU the 13th, and Gamestop the 20th.

Sonic has shown up early at other places though. Notably the Nintendo store, where they were later stopped selling them because they were like a month early. Also, Amazon orders for Sonic have already started shipping.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    SSB tends to make a more detailed spin on the characters.

• DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular
    So I plan on getting a New 3DS when they come out on friday and it will support these Amiibo things but for the the life of me no matter how much research I do I can't seem to figure out what it is exactly that they do other than you grind them levels in order for them to.... I dunno. Fight with you? Fight as you? Make me more powerful than those who don't pay the $10 and grind levels? Purely aesthetic brain endorphin candy? Does getting one to level 50 in like Smash Brothers make that Amiibo more powerful in other games I use it in? Can its stats from one game even be used in another game?

I'm so confused.

Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Every game has a different function. In Smash they create a computer player than can be trained and given equipment, and it can collect items for you. This has no impact on games outside of Smash.

In most other games, amiibo will just give you things like a free item or costume for your characters.

I've tried to link to videos or descriptions of what certain amiibo features are for different games in the OP. Just click on the name of a game. If that doesn't help, feel free to ask more questions.

Tairu on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

XJ1GZkT.jpg

Am I the only one noticing that silhouette of the Samus amiibo is a totally different pose than the one we got?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Yeah, there is also a Tom Nook and Pikmin amiibo.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    They've also shown silhouettes of an Isabelle amiibo at some point I think. Who knows if they're just mock-ups or actual designs of future amiibo.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Every game has a different function. In Smash they create a computer player than can be trained and given equipment, and it can collect items for you. This has no impact on games outside of Smash.

In most other games, amiibo will just give you things like a free item or costume for your characters.

I've tried to link to videos or descriptions of what certain amiibo features are for different games in the OP. Just click on the name of a game. If that doesn't help, feel free to ask more questions.

So in Smash Bros. is having an Amiibo a more powerful character than not having one? Does this work online? So if I want to be competitive in online play do I have to buy then level the Amiibo to 50 for each character I want to play or be at a disadvantage or are they purely CPU controlled virtual "pets" so to speak where fighting with or against them is supposed to be its own reward?

Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302
    DudemanX wrote: »
    Tairu wrote: »

So in Smash Bros. is having an Amiibo a more powerful character than not having one? Does this work online? So if I want to be competitive in online play do I have to buy then level the Amiibo to 50 for each character I want to play or be at a disadvantage or are they purely CPU controlled virtual "pets" so to speak where fighting with or against them is supposed to be its own reward?

They're digital pets.

Although they have wide range of differences based on how they're trained and they're definitely smarter that the regular CPU opponents.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I was doing some shopping at Walmart when I came across this guy in the electronics section. I'm not crazy about the paint job but I dunno if I'll ever see him again at this point.

A8BXsT5l.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    They're digital pets.

Although they have wide range of differences based on how they're trained and they're definitely smarter that the regular CPU opponents.

Think of them as CPU opponents that learn as they go, even after level 50. I was training my Bowser amiibo with Mario, and noticed that he always spammed the forward B attack, so I trained him to use it more wisely, and he is now a beast to play against. My Mario is the same way, too.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    And now I'm at a second Walmart and I see one with a slightly better paint job.

Before I return the first one, would anyone like a Toon Link Amiibo at cost + shipping?

FU7kFbw.png
    I would..

I would..

Sweet, I'll shoot you a PM later tonight for your deets.

FU7kFbw.png
    edited February 2015
    Thanks dude.

Bartholamue on
    edited February 2015
    Yeah. We got the sexy Samus pose as opposed to the "Kick-Ass" pose.

I am near a rural Wal-Mart. Might have some good odds on rare Amiibos. I think I will swing by and check.

So says a 39 year old guy.

Krathoon on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    The thing is, Fire Mario is not wearing his fire clothes.

I am a stickler or details.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    He also looks like he's taking a dump.

A flat, two-dimensional dump made out of paper.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Maz- wrote: »
    He also looks like he's taking a dump.

A flat, two-dimensional dump made out of paper.

Paper cuts.

Oh goddamnit. I bought my Toon Link figure today via a Walmart self-checkout station. When attempting to pay, the screen called over a cashier who asked me if I wanted a replacement plan. Considering that $2 for a replacement plan for a $13 is dumb on top of the fact that they wouldn't be able to replace it anyway, I declined, so after struggling with the station for a bit, she managed to void it from my receipt.

As it turns out, she voided the Amiibo, but not the replacement plan. She then rang up the Amiibo a second time but declined the service plan the second time. Fuck.

According to Walmart's website I can't return a product replacement plan in-store, so I have to e-mail customer service to get my $2 back, which I just did. But still, what a shitload of fuck.

FU7kFbw.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Oh goddamnit. I bought my Toon Link figure today via a Walmart self-checkout station. When attempting to pay, the screen called over a cashier who asked me if I wanted a replacement plan. Considering that $2 for a replacement plan for a $13 is dumb on top of the fact that they wouldn't be able to replace it anyway, I declined, so after struggling with the station for a bit, she managed to void it from my receipt.

As it turns out, she voided the Amiibo, but not the replacement plan. She then rang up the Amiibo a second time but declined the service plan the second time. Fuck.

According to Walmart's website I can't return a product replacement plan in-store, so I have to e-mail customer service to get my $2 back, which I just did. But still, what a shitload of fuck.
    Yeeeeah. The product replacement plans are a huge pain in the ass if you accidentally add it. I know. I've done it before. The computers are programmed very badly in regards to that.

But on topic, Maaan, I haven't even SEEN any amiibos that aren't mario at my walmart. It's kinda depressing.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited February 2015
    heenato wrote: »

Yeeeeah. The product replacement plans are a huge pain in the ass if you accidentally add it. I know. I've done it before. The computers are programmed very badly in regards to that.

But on topic, Maaan, I haven't even SEEN any amiibos that aren't mario at my walmart. It's kinda depressing.

So maybe you can help me out here. Is it something I'll be able to return in store or will I have to deal with Walmart's online crew?

I just got a response to my original e-mail:
    To assist with your request we need additional information.
    Please provide the following:
    • Order Number
    • Item Full Name(s)

There's no order number because I bought it in a store, you chucklefuck, I explained that explicitly in my original e-mail.

Dammit. :/

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Is there any sort of number on your recipt you could put in as the order number?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    At some point you have to measure whether all this hassle is worth $2

Walmart charged me for my Dedede and Megaman preorders today, which is kind of annoying because I thought they had already charged me.

Look at the order, still says processing with an expected delivery date of today. That'd be nice, but totaly not happening. Time to wait for free shipping!

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Not letting WalMart win is worth any amount > 0

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      The fact that there's so many of these I'm interested in but will probably never get for a reasonable price kind of infuriates me.

It makes me wish had never gotten any of them. Because now I've started a collection that will always feel lacking.

All this whole Amiibo business is doing is reminding me why toy collecting is more trouble than it's worth, how bad Nintendo is at planning anything, and how much I hate how scalpers prey on people like me who just want to enjoy something.

Ugh.

LockedOnTarget on
      TimFiji wrote: »

Not letting WalMart win is worth any amount > 0

Yeah its more on principle than anything.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      I feel like you should just be able to go to the customer service desk, explain what happened (receipt should be a mess of voided shit), and hopefully they can just give you the $2 back.

Warlock82 on
      Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
      I intend on doing just that after work today. I'll report back with the results. I apologize for driving the thread so off-topic.

FU7kFbw.png
    • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
      I intend on doing just that after work today. I'll report back with the results. I apologize for driving the thread so off-topic.
      Yeah. Walmart.com and walmart are technically seperate entities, and it's a pain in the ass for us to refund items bought on walmart.com, so I assume it would be almost impossible, if not absolutely, to do so the other way around.

Was there a walmart exclusive amiibo, by the way? I keep forgetting what goes where because nobody ever has any of them.

M A G I K A Z A M
      No Walmart exlusive amiibo. Not yet, anyway.

This discussion has been closed.