As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I hope Walmart never gets an exclusive one. My Walmart has never restocked beyond the initial run...ever. No Wave 2, no hints at Wave 3. Nothing.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    We'll see in hindsight but... I don't believe Super Mario amiibos are worth preordering. Not even Toad. I think you'll see them on shelves for a while.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I hope Walmart never gets an exclusive one. My Walmart has never restocked beyond the initial run...ever. No Wave 2, no hints at Wave 3. Nothing.

The one I work at is a disaster in the back room
    And inventory is less than 2 months away

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Woohoo, Toon Link was delivered today from Amazon!

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I just scored a Mega Man :D Nebraska Furniture Mart put the last three up on their website, tho it won't let me order Ike or Dedede (I am hoping I can get them in-store, but I don't get off for a few hours yet :(). But it let me at least order Mega Man so I grabbed him for pickup tonight :D yay. Hopefully I can get the other two as well and I'll be done with wave 3 except Shulk (who I have a ship to store preorder on) and Meta Knight (who I don't... Gonna be the trickiest one)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I just scored a Mega Man :DNebraska Furniture Mart put the last three up on their website, tho it won't let me order Ike or Dedede (I am hoping I can get them in-store, but I don't get off for a few hours yet :(). But it let me at least order Mega Man so I grabbed him for pickup tonight :D yay. Hopefully I can get the other two as well and I'll be done with wave 3 except Shulk (who I have a ship to store preorder on) and Meta Knight (who I don't... Gonna be the trickiest one)

WHAT

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I just scored a Mega Man :DNebraska Furniture Mart put the last three up on their website, tho it won't let me order Ike or Dedede (I am hoping I can get them in-store, but I don't get off for a few hours yet :(). But it let me at least order Mega Man so I grabbed him for pickup tonight :D yay. Hopefully I can get the other two as well and I'll be done with wave 3 except Shulk (who I have a ship to store preorder on) and Meta Knight (who I don't... Gonna be the trickiest one)

WHAT

I guess if you glue lots of amiibo together, you can build a table or a chair out of them.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    They have a HUGE electronics store. It's in many ways better than Best Buy.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Look at this custom Little Mac someone made.

http://www.imgur.com/a/9D8Ov

edited February 2015
    Yo, how the hell

Tairu on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Wow...I mean WOW! :eek:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I have seen more pictures of custom amiibos than I have seen actual amiibos in store now.

It's cool and sad all at once.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    My friend got his Shulk today via UPS.

Mine looks to be arriving tomorrow.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

How even do?

If you strip the paint off an amiibo, is it clear plastic underneath? That's the only explaination I can think of. Super awesome, though!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Taya wrote: »

How even do?

If you strip the paint off an amiibo, is it clear plastic underneath? That's the only explaination I can think of. Super awesome, though!

Clear plastic is weaker though, I really doubt Nintendo would use clear plastic when they did things like the butter stick to Link.

I'm guessing its a completely original construct. No idea how though.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Maybe borrowing someone's real Mac to make a mold of?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Are we ruling out wizardy

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    can you 3d print with clear plastic? that's the only thing i could think of, 3d print and then finish it and paint it? i dunno, that's some crazy shit.

also makes me sad because real little macs barely exist as is :/ gah every time i see this thread i just get angry with how badly nintendo is handling this product.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Lots of people use modelling clay and then paint it... do they make invisibility paint?

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    You could either SLA print it (if you could 3d-scan or had a model of the amiibo) or make an RTV silicon mold of the original amiibo and then cast in clear resin.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm going with the cast and clear resin theory. Seems the most probable, and cheapest way to do it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    You could either SLA print it (if you could 3d-scan or had a model of the amiibo) or make an RTV silicon mold of the original amiibo and then cast in clear resin.

So, wizardry.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited February 2015
    Fiiiiiighting to saaaaave THE WORLD
    megamanamiibo.png

Warlock82 on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Yay my mega man will be here Friday!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      I bought a Link and a Marth when they came out and have used them like, 4-5 times. They're neat and all, but Link is pretty cool on his own, and apparently I can get 3-4 times the amount I paid for this Marth. Given that the N3DS is coming out...should I sell this thing or wait till it gets even rarer? Or will it only go down as more release or those card things I'm seeing talked about show up?

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
      Marth is supposed to get restocked, so his rarity/price has been steadily going down in preparation for that.

Of course, with the whole stocking issues persisting even though Nintendo knows it's an issue, I'm taking "restocked" as "every store gets one more", so it's hard to say if the price won't shoot back up once that happens.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
      Yeah. I am eagerly awaiting my Shulk/Sonic/Rockman Ebay Japan import later in the month.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
      yeah that Little mac was clearly done by making a mold and then making a clear resin version, which they then painted.

It's not terribly difficult, especially on something as large as that without a ton of detail in the mold.

I have a friend who used to do that with Warhammer minis that had cloaking or stealth to make "invisible" cloaked models.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      Krathoon wrote: »
      Yeah. I am eagerly awaiting my Shulk/Sonic/Rockman Ebay Japan import later in the month.

I really want a Sonic and a Mega Man Amiibo, but I'm guessing I'll probably have to import as well.

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
      Man Sonic looks so nice. So glad they decided against using butter for stands.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
      I picked up a Samus tonight. I'm impressed by the details but it leans alittle to the left. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoys me.

In the future I'd like to pickup a MegaMan and Bowser Jr.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
      I have been told by 4 different business that the 13th they will have Amiibos in
      I also know this is the day of the New 3ds
      I am not looking forward to it

I do find it interesting people are willing to Trade for Megaman

Do you think indie games might start support amiibo? We already have non-nintendo developed games doing it. Maybe we could see them showing up as kickstarter stretch goals.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
      Tairu wrote: »
      Do you think indie games might start support amiibo? We already have non-nintendo developed games doing it. Maybe we could see them showing up as kickstarter stretch goals.

What non-Nintendo games are doing it?

Tairu wrote: »

What non-Nintendo games are doing it?

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy Plus and the (so-far) Japan only One Piece game.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      edited February 2015
      Brainleech wrote: »
      I have been told by 4 different business that the 13th they will have Amiibos in
      I also know this is the day of the New 3ds
      I am not looking forward to it

I do find it interesting people are willing to Trade for Megaman

To be perfectly honest, I am pretty sure Mega Man is not going to be rare. They did two months of production for him which is pretty good. I suspect he'll be rare at first as everyone rushes to grab him, but after a couple weeks stores will start getting restocks and he'll be like, maybe Samus/Toon Link rarity? Sort of like how everyone thought Sheik was rare, and now she is popping up in pretty decent quantities everywhere.

Case in point, the fact I was able to get one earlier, while I couldn't get the other two. Not sure if they were up earlier and I missed them, or if the listings never had stock (maybe a different location had stock?), but I didn't have *too* much trouble getting Mega Man. They did take him off their site after an hour or so. I went into the store and they actually did put a peg out for him (it was empty :P), so I assume they got enough that they thought they'd need a peg. But like I said, early rush will make him *look* rare (also to be fair, they are probably one of the first stores to actually get him in).

Edit: As far as non-Nintendo games supporting Amiibo, I would have bet on a Sonic game supporting it until Sega's whole "We are only going to do smartphone games now" tirade. But if Nintendo makes the functionality available, I could totally see indies supporting it. They seem to be the ones most supporting Nintendo's hardware anyways.

Warlock82 on
    • OptyOpty Registered User regular
      I think the only problem with Indies supporting Amiibo is the extra cert steps they'll likely have to go through to verify they're not doing bad things with the Nintendo characters.

Well smash bros is doing bad things with Nintendo Characters

• GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
      RE: the little mac.
      That dude created a few resin molds using a chopped up little mac, then he used a clear plastic resin and made all the pieces and put them together.

there is a custom shadow mario a dude made using the same technique.
      6x3u7Nv.jpg
      He took a picture of everything he used
      http://i.imgur.com/lXaUnps.jpg

This discussion has been closed.