As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    My import Ike just got delivered! He's one huge dude. Bigger than Samus (and his cape takes up a lot of space!)
    He and Little Mac kind look like they could be brothers.

p3d23bPh.jpg

Funny thing, my dad was there when I took it out of the box, and he said "oh I recognize that character!" which confused me because I think I rented Radiant Dawn once years back for like a weekend. Apparently he thought it was a Final Fantasy Tactics character. Which I also didn't know he remembered! My dad remembers all the games me and my brother played growing up.

Tairu on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have been told by 4 different business that the 13th they will have Amiibos in
    I also know this is the day of the New 3ds
    I am not looking forward to it

I do find it interesting people are willing to Trade for Megaman

Welp, time to go to Gamestop once again and pray the register biscuits actually honor the pre-order.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    God I want Megaman SO BAD....

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    God I want Megaman SO BAD....

Said every Capcom fan ever

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    My import Ike just got delivered! He's one huge dude. Bigger than Samus (and his cape takes up a lot of space!)
    He and Little Mac kind look like they could be brothers.

p3d23bPh.jpg

Funny thing, my dad was there when I took it out of the box, and he said "oh I recognize that character!" which confused me because I think I rented Radiant Dawn once years back for like a weekend. Apparently he thought it was a Final Fantasy Tactics character. Which I also didn't know he remembered! My dad remembers all the games me and my brother played growing up.

In that context, Mac looks too big for his character.

Speaking of too big, I just realized that these Amiibos are too big for D&D minis. Sort of.

The party will be in for a shock when they come up against my large sized Toon Link!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    Hey all Toon Link, Fox, and Sheik just became available on Gamestop's website.

Dunno how long they'll last just wanted to give a heads up.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Got my call today that my Shulk pre-order will be at GameStop tomorrow. Yay :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular

I thought Gamestop gave free shipping on orders above a certain price. Was that just a promotion?

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Got my call today that my Shulk pre-order will be at GameStop tomorrow. Yay :D

Me too.... are you I?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
      Just grabbed Sheik from GameStop.com

• GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
      SniperGuy wrote: »
      I bought a Link and a Marth when they came out and have used them like, 4-5 times. They're neat and all, but Link is pretty cool on his own, and apparently I can get 3-4 times the amount I paid for this Marth. Given that the N3DS is coming out...should I sell this thing or wait till it gets even rarer? Or will it only go down as more release or those card things I'm seeing talked about show up?

I wouldn't bother with ebay. They are going down in price quickly and people are scrambling to sell the ones they bought. You'll probably just end up with a bunch of frustration for you troubles.
      Although you can find people who are willing to trade you at a 3:1 ratio for some common amiibo or something and then you could just return their unopened commons and get 3x your money back. Just specify you want their receipt too so you can do the return.

one of the rumors however is that the 'return of marth' might actually be a different line, like the SMB line for mario party. If that happens then the price of that marth you have will actually go up quite a bit. Especially since I'm assuming its NA packaging.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
      Just grabbed Sheik from GameStop.com

Just bought one as well.

Steam: Cilantr0
      3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    • Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
      Emperor_Z wrote: »

I thought Gamestop gave free shipping on orders above a certain price. Was that just a promotion?

I thought so too, I originally ordered all three until I saw I wasn't getting free shipping and dropped off Fox.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
    • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
      Grath wrote: »
      SniperGuy wrote: »
      I bought a Link and a Marth when they came out and have used them like, 4-5 times. They're neat and all, but Link is pretty cool on his own, and apparently I can get 3-4 times the amount I paid for this Marth. Given that the N3DS is coming out...should I sell this thing or wait till it gets even rarer? Or will it only go down as more release or those card things I'm seeing talked about show up?

I wouldn't bother with ebay. They are going down in price quickly and people are scrambling to sell the ones they bought. You'll probably just end up with a bunch of frustration for you troubles.
      Although you can find people who are willing to trade you at a 3:1 ratio for some common amiibo or something and then you could just return their unopened commons and get 3x your money back. Just specify you want their receipt too so you can do the return.

one of the rumors however is that the 'return of marth' might actually be a different line, like the SMB line for mario party. If that happens then the price of that marth you have will actually go up quite a bit. Especially since I'm assuming its NA packaging.

I wouldn't count on it being a separate line. They're not going to make an exclusive Fire Emblem line, nor are they going to make one for Codename STEAM, so unless they just make some sort of generic "Nintendo Stars" line or something similar (which I don't see them doing, given how reluctant they are to do -anything- amiibo-related beyond the bare minimum) it'll jut be the old molds redoing another thousand or something.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
      I wouldn't count out a small Fire Emblem series, maybe just a reprint of the four from Smash. There are two Fire Emblem games coming after all, and the series has gotten a huge boost in popularity after Awakening.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed the Marth reprint is the Smash figure. I doubt they'll do a Fire Emblem line. If they had any confidence in sales Marth wouldn't have been so god damn rare in the first place.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
      Call me crazy.

But what if they release new Fire Emblem Amiibos for the new Fire Emblem 3DS game and Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei Wii U game?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Riokenn wrote: »
      Call me crazy.

But what if they release new Fire Emblem Amiibos for the new Fire Emblem 3DS game and Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei Wii U game?

I'd be surprised if they didn't do that.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      Darth_Mogs wrote: »

I wouldn't count on it being a separate line. They're not going to make an exclusive Fire Emblem line, nor are they going to make one for Codename STEAM, so unless they just make some sort of generic "Nintendo Stars" line or something similar (which I don't see them doing, given how reluctant they are to do -anything- amiibo-related beyond the bare minimum) it'll jut be the old molds redoing another thousand or something.

That's what I'm hoping for too. The only thing that gives this rumor any sort of credence is the fact that nintendo is becoming aware of the popularity now. They love shoehorning gimmicky features around things into games. I would not be surprised if they try and put something amiibo related into the new Fire Emblem game coming out. IF they can pull that one off then a Fire Emblem Line is a possibility. The other possibility is a change in the packaging. If they change that box at all. Just a little change then those ridiculous collectors out there will become ravenous for the NA box art.

I still don't think its likely, but it is a distant a possibility.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      They need to retroactively make a FE Awakening line.

I want a Donny and Vaike amiibo, dammit.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      Got a text from GS about my SHIEK amiibo coming in today. But my friend got a message for SHULK coming today.

I-I preordered Shulk too Gamestop. :(

They only send you one text.
      If you preordered Shulk/sheik/Toonlink yours should be available.

The rumor is Ike and Dedede will also be there but I wouldn't count on it. Megaman and Sonic should be next friday.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      edited February 2015

The rumor is Ike and Dedede will also be there but I wouldn't count on it. Megaman and Sonic should be next friday.

Next Friday? That would be odd, since Mega Man's already showing up in some places.

cloudeagle on
      Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      edited February 2015
      Amiibos are released according to the Witch's Calendar, which doesn't follow chronological order

Tairu on
    • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      cloudeagle wrote: »

Next Friday? That would be odd, since Mega Man's already showing up in some places.

The release dates are all screwy. Some stores get some amiibos a week earlier than others.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      Yeah, I've got a report going up on The Mega Man Network later today with a bunch of reported release dates and stuff... it's a mess.

I want one, but... eesh. I hope the part about them being plentiful in time will be true.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
      Looks like best buys are getting their shipments of Meta Knight but they still can't be sold.

edited February 2015
      Shulk just went in and out of Gamestop's system like the cleanest shit

Tairu on
    • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
      Yay, an amiibo thread.

I started with DK and figured I would only get guys I really want (Dedede, Bowser, Wario, Pacman, etc). I mean, I bought Hyrule Warriors so why not get Link? And I grabbed Yoshi that day too. Meh. Oh, Pit is in stock on Gamestop's site? Sure. I'm up early enough, I'll see how long the line is for Lucario. Oh, just enough for everyone? Cool. Over a friend's for the weekend. Let's search Targets for Rosalina since we aren't doing anything. Grab three? Ok. Oh look. Sheik. Toon Link and fox are in stock online? YOINK.

I have an extra Rosalina and Toon Link to hopefully trade in the future for guys I can't get. Really want Dedede, Ike, Pacman, Bowser Jr (assuming he is announced), and Villager.

bYf6vNQ.png
      Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
      [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      I'm in between that spot where I'd love to have a few of the hard-to-find figures (Rosalina, Little Mac, Lucario) and thinking even import prices are too much. Shit sucks. :P

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • TayaTaya Registered User regular
      I preordered Shulk from Gamestop.com even though I'm in Canada.

The amiibo plus shipping came to $36 CDN, and now someone is telling me I'm going to have to pay a $17 import fee when it's delivered. I would not have ordered it if I knew it would be so expensive. Maybe I can sell it for what I paid for.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Speaking of Shulk, apparently preorders went back up again today for about 5 seconds before selling out.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      Man, I just happened to be flipping past Futureshop's website, and decided to check on amiibos. And there it was. Rosalina and Luma, available online. I remember reading that FS would get them since Target Canada is imploding. Clicked the page, and it said 11 left online. I blinked, refreshed the page to make sure I wasn't dreaming, and it then said 6. I went and slammed on the buy online button, but despite having my cc saved, I still had to get up and find out what the security code was. And then the whole thing errored out in the end, because it sold out.

It's shit like this that makes me not want to bother. I feel like I hit the proverbial jackpot by seeing it available, and it still wasn't enough. I'm not going to sit there staring at a page 24/7 in hopes that I get who I want. I didn't want to get bit by the amiibo bug, I tried my hardest, but I ended up getting the tiny itch. Enough of an itch to start to become disillusioned by the whole mess. No website lists them in stock online. They're not listed as in-store for those that support it. The EB's have the same shelf with the same stock of 5, almost as if they're untouched because everybody already has a damn Mario. Not even empty spaces to give you a slight inkling there was anything new there. Amiibo's have enough of a presence to let you know they exist. And you the average Joe can't fucking have them. :(

...All that being said, this might have a happy ending. As I was looking at the website, they had Sheik and Toon Link. And... Fox? All available for in-store pickup at my local FS store. For Fox, it was the only listing for 100 km. So I picked it and it all went through. Time to see if I end up getting a pickup confirmation.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
      So at the rate of how Shulk is going, is he going to be the new Trinity/Lil'Mac?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      Much like Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy I'm sure GameStop will "find" a bunch in a warehouse next year and sell them used (but unopened) for $70 each.

edited February 2015
      Everyone kind of expects Shulk to be near impossible to find, which will drive scalpers to buy more.

Kind of like Rosalina, most targets got double digit stock of her but it wasn't enough to go around but they somehow have a ton on eBay.

McFlynn on
    • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
      I just want to have my very own amiibo tournament in Smash Bros. My Mario and Luigi are amazing to see battle.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    • OptyOpty Registered User regular
      Where's the best places to import Amiibo? I'd really like to get Rosalina and Lucario hopefully for not astronomical amounts of money and from a retailer rather than a scalper.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      7B1BEE15-16D4-4FCC-8031-16ADAD0A6CC3_zpsaj8zhf7b.jpg

PA folks, I am really feeling it.

This discussion has been closed.