Options

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    I got pretty lucky and grabbed the only toon link my gamestop had that wasn't a pre order today. He's pretty much the only one I really want, and my TRU never had it in stock so I was worried I'd never find one.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I think the words coming to mind right now @Taramoor is you and suck. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't think I could ever do amiibos. I'd get a rare one for retail price, find out it's now selling for over triple that, and after a brief struggle of "Do I really NEED this item?" it'd be getting flipped with the money invested into new toys.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I actually had my phone in hand and received an in-stock alert the exact minute that Shulk was available. Still couldn't get an order through at Gamestop's website. Managed to add him to my cart, but could never quite get through to payment. Oh well.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I just want to have my very own amiibo tournament in Smash Bros. My Mario and Luigi are amazing to see battle.

Had my own amiibo tourney last week. Luigi beat my super Link for the win!

Also got my Shulk today! Yay!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      I'm gonna check out four local retailers on the drive home from work to see what the Amiibo situation is. I'll post images of the shelves as I arrive at each.

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • Options
      Stop 1:

7PkBci2l.jpg

IuKzSGRl.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      3w3tqdul.jpg

s9GEXqxl.jpg

Went ahead and picked up the three that were price dropped.

WoosQpsl.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Sweet, just checked my shipment tracking and looks like my Shulk was delivered today.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      Thinking of stopping by a GameStop or two as well for the heck of it. Hmm.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      I just came from Futureshop, and their shelf isn't that big. But the problem with the physical stores is that they pretty much only have that selection you see there. Nothing more, and no empty spaces to give the sense they were once there. It's disheartening.

That being said, they actually did have Sheik's and Toon Link's in good numbers. I don't have a scalper's eye or anything, but it looked enough to say "This isn't worth it". It'd be like buying up all the normal Link's in that picture. There's enough on the shelf and likely more in the back. Pick another target.

There was a lone Fox sitting there, in front of the DK line. That's the one that screams "Scalp me!".

...So. Sheik. Toon Link. Fox.

*sigh* My name is The Wolfman, and I have a problem.

...Or maybe not. :) I can't think of any more I want to actively pursue. Maybe Mega Man. Maybe Sonic. If I entered The Twilight Zone and saw a Shulk on the EB shelf, I'd grab it. Everything else... eh.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • Options
      Oh fuck, I just realized. I have in addition a Link and Zelda. I am now virtually honorbound to get Ganondorf if and when he comes. That'll probably be the only one I'd actively pursue with a preorder.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • Options
      uECNxPSl.jpg

1CWtYTml.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      What was that, threat title? Do you like apples?

Well, I got Shulk. How do you like them apples?

demapples.jpg

Oh and I got Toon Link. It must hurt so bad to be so wrong.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE MONADO!
      4kwyzlg2uhk5.jpg

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      God I wish I cared about Shulk. I really need to get around to playing Xenoblade one of these days.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      God I wish I cared about Shulk. I really need to get around to playing Xenoblade one of these days.

Xenoblade is amazing. You should at least pick up the New 3DS version when it hits :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      Warlock82 wrote: »

Xenoblade is amazing. You should at least pick up the New 3DS version when it hits :P

I've had the Wii game since it's launch in the US. (Seriously, I actually found the receipt while fishing out Club Nintendo slips.)

I can't play the 3DS version because Nintendo won't sell me the N3DS I want.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      5AdUS8pl.jpg

Uune3mRl.jpg

Thus ends today's Amiibo shopping.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
      Get your head in the game best buy.

all other exclusives gotten
      j96fzhy403rg.jpg

• Options
      You and me @Grath . we bros!

• Options
        That's sweet. I wish Lucario and Rosalina weren't rarer than pieces of the true cross.

FU7kFbw.png
      • Options
        Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
        Got Sheik and Shulk today, will hopefully have Mega Man and Sonic by next week. Shulk's box is all scuffed and bent, and it sucks because most likely that was the only Shulk they got, so it's not like I can exchange it. So thanks for that GS.

Otherwise I'M FEELING IT. IT'S REYN SHULK TIME!

• Options
        Apparently my megaman is arriving tomorrow from amazon. That's weird.

• Options
          McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
          My Mega Man and Dedede from walmart have an estimated arrival of yesterday or the day before that.

That's inconvenient.

• Options
          UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
          Smash Bros.-style "hoard mode" view of my current collection

yrSnf2i.jpg?1

It will only grow in the future

• Options
          Flying V!

• Options
            Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
            Grabbed Bowser since he looks cool. And fuck that, I'm not walking out of 5 stores without buying an Amiibo.

Steam: kaylesolo1
            3DS: 1521-4165-5907
            PS3: KayleSolo
            Live: Kayle Solo
            WiiU: KayleSolo
          • Options
            Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
            Mario series Amiibos are up for Pre-order at Best Buy. Go Go GO! :D

I pre-ordered Toad, Yoshi, and Peach. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
            Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
            PSN - Brainiac_8
            Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
            Add me!
          • Options
            Ok, this made me laugh:
            xVEIihp.jpg

• Options
            ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
            Good thing I don't really care that much about the packaging, because the bottom of my Shulk package is crushed.

On the plus side, Shulk!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
          • Options
            ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
            got my Shulk and Toon Link today. Didnt have any extra of Sheik unfortunately.

Also I preordered my Toad and Luigi from the Mario series already (I dont like the SB version of Luigi as much)

• Options
            skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
            got my Shulk and Toon Link today. Didnt have any extra of Sheik unfortunately.

Also I preordered my Toad and Luigi from the Mario series already (I dont like the SB version of Luigi as much)

I do like the Super Mario Bros Luigi version, but I kinda wish they would do a Luigi's Mansion variant. Sorta like the Club Nintendo figurine pose

luigis_mansion_figure_big_1.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
            Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
            PM Me if you add me!
            HAIL HYDRA
          • Options
            DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
            The thread title made me laugh.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
          • Options
            KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
            edited February 2015
            The Monado. Allot of the speech in Xenoblade say the name of that sword way too much. I starts to get comical after a while.

Link's pee brick is still baffling. Why oh why did they not use clear plastic?

Krathoon on
          • Options
            RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
            Krathoon wrote: »
            Link's pee brick is still baffling. Why oh why did they not use clear plastic?

Perhaps Nintendo's brilliance comes at a price. They have the power to create so many great games but the by-product is a build up of anti-creative energy. Every so often they have to vent this terrible force, resulting in some hilariously bad decisions. Hence a game console named Wii, Link's pillar of pee and Metroid Other M.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
          • Options
            I bet you the intended colour is/was supposed to be gold, to reference the triforce or something. I've noticed quite a few of the early amiibos that have some form of stabilizing plastic, it's coloured kind of related to the character.

• Options
            TayaTaya Registered User regular
            They knew Link was so popular that he would overshadow the other amiibos if he looked too awesome.

• Options
            KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
            I bet you the intended colour is/was supposed to be gold, to reference the triforce or something. I've noticed quite a few of the early amiibos that have some form of stabilizing plastic, it's coloured kind of related to the character.

Yeah. It seems like that was the idea. They got too artsy.

I would have just made them all clear just reinforce the idea that it is really not supposed to be there and only there for support.

• Options
            Krathoon wrote: »

Yeah. It seems like that was the idea. They got too artsy.

I would have just made them all clear just reinforce the idea that it is really not supposed to be there and only there for support.

Which is exactly what they've started doing now. Boy howdy this Toon Link amiibo could have been a lot worse if the plastic wasn't clear. :)

I don't know if they just have a metric ton of Link's that they produced that they're trying to work through, but you'd think when it comes time to making more, they'll take what they learned and change it.

This discussion has been closed.