As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So is Wave 5 just Ganondorf, Palutena, and Dark Pit? If it is, I have nothing to worry about going into the release date.

Actually, I misspoke I guess. 5A (July) is Dark Pit and Palutena. 5B (September) is Ganondorf, ZSS, and Dr Mario I think. 6 (also September) is Bowser Jr, Olimar, ROB, Game & Watch and whatever else.

I think that's right. Not counting yarn Yoshi, Animal Crossing, and the 8bit Marios which are their own things. (ALSO September for most of those)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    NeurotikaVothRiokenn
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    I saw this brought up on reddit and it sounded too perfect. So, with the whole Skylanders amiibo crossover thing, if Disney Infinity wanted to do a similar deal, Wreck-It Ralph 2 would be an amazing way to do that. I can just imagine being able to scan some amiibo into Disney Infinity (4.0?) for whatever characters show up in the film (just going off the first, you could include Bowser, Sonic and Pacman). I've heard Mario is supposed to be in the sequel, so I can just imagine them letting you use him in Infinity.

As a double cross promotion, Wreck-It Ralph amiibo + Smash DLC ;)

As cool as that would be, Wreck-It Ralph 2 is still in the preproduction stages. We're not going to see it for at least a few years.

Unfortunately probably true. Though with the first one's popularity Disney may be putting heavy resources into getting it out sooner. Any deal between the two companies would take some time to work out and implement as well.

Edit: Oh, sounds like John C. Reilly actually confirmed a day or so ago that he's signed on for the sequel too. Forgot the original came out in 2012. Wonder if they are further along than they are letting on?

Yeah, he did.

Though if Rich Moore is doing it again (and it sounds like he will), he has to finish Zootopia first (and it looks great). That one doesn't hit until 2016, so we probably won't get Wreck-It-Ralph 2 til 2018 at the earliest.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Wait Rich Moore is (apparently one of) the director of Zootopia? Hot damn, I was already looking forward to the film but that fact has magnified my anticipation quite a bit.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited July 2015
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I saw this brought up on reddit and it sounded too perfect. So, with the whole Skylanders amiibo crossover thing, if Disney Infinity wanted to do a similar deal, Wreck-It Ralph 2 would be an amazing way to do that. I can just imagine being able to scan some amiibo into Disney Infinity (4.0?) for whatever characters show up in the film (just going off the first, you could include Bowser, Sonic and Pacman). I've heard Mario is supposed to be in the sequel, so I can just imagine them letting you use him in Infinity.

As cool as that would be, Wreck-It Ralph 2 is still in the preproduction stages. We're not going to see it for at least a few years.

Unfortunately probably true. Though with the first one's popularity Disney may be putting heavy resources into getting it out sooner. Any deal between the two companies would take some time to work out and implement as well.

Edit: Oh, sounds like John C. Reilly actually confirmed a day or so ago that he's signed on for the sequel too. Forgot the original came out in 2012. Wonder if they are further along than they are letting on?

Yeah, he did.

Though if Rich Moore is doing it again (and it sounds like he will), he has to finish Zootopia first (and it looks great). That one doesn't hit until 2016, so we probably won't get Wreck-It-Ralph 2 til 2018 at the earliest.
    Ah maybe. Though I wonder with a CGI film like that how much work is involved for a director later on. I would imagine more of his work is front loaded since it's probably very hard to change the CGI once it's animated (i.e. you are throwing all that work away). And I'd think with that kind of release date, the animation is probably mostly done. I suppose there is probably editing work too though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, he did.

Ah maybe. Though I wonder with a CGI film like that how much work is involved for a director later on. I would imagine more of his work is front loaded since it's probably very hard to change the CGI once it's animated (i.e. you are throwing all that work away). And I'd think with that kind of release date, the animation is probably mostly done. I suppose there is probably editing work too though.

There's all kinds of post-production work, editing, that sort of thing. And if I remember right, the very last of the animation for Wreck-It-Ralph wasn't finished until two months before release. But since Zootopia's a co-directorship it's possible he could skip out early, or at least do some pre-production part-time.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'd much rather an amazon exclusive than toys r us or some place that doesn't do online orders.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I thought the general opinion was that Amazon's handling was shite? So many reports of one person seeing them in stock while their neighbor saw absolutely nothing. Resulting in the same typical online experience: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 and they're gone.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Agahnim
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I thought the general opinion was that Amazon's handling was shite? So many reports of one person seeing them in stock while their neighbor saw absolutely nothing. Resulting in the same typical online experience: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 and they're gone.

only for lucina/robin. they sold out so fast they didn't even fully propagate out to all of their servers that they came in stock. they've said they're not going to do the purchase window thing anymore because of that.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    SaraLuna
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Palutena has looked less and less nice in pictures since the initial showing, so I'm fine with not getting one.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Palutena has looked less and less nice in pictures since the initial showing, so I'm fine with not getting one.

Everyone says that but when people see my collection she's the one that always catches their eye. "Ohhh that one is really cool", stuff like that. Looks a lot better in person.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    The hands catch their attention and then they just say it is nice to be polite :P

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Everyone says that but when people see my collection she's the one that always catches their eye. "Ohhh that one is really cool", stuff like that. Looks a lot better in person.
    However, it's the one figure that you have to choose from several of them to get the one that looks less bad.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    For my area when wave 4 came out, there was about 20-30 people waiting in line at Toys R Us.

As much as I would love ditching work, I cant. I'm gonna toss the die and clock out for lunch around the same time best buy opens. With luck at least half of the stock will remian.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Shulk amiibo get! I went to the mall and decided to go to the EB in there. There was one left on the shelf, so I grabbed it. Only 3 left of the current amiibos out left to go and I'll have them all.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    RiokennGeneral_Armchair
    Riokenn wrote: »
    For my area when wave 4 came out, there was about 20-30 people waiting in line at Toys R Us.

As much as I would love ditching work, I cant. I'm gonna toss the die and clock out for lunch around the same time best buy opens. With luck at least half of the stock will remian.

If stock is as good as the exclusives in wave 4 that might work. TRU had tons of Greninjas left at opening even for walk ins.

Riokenn
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well this has quickly gotten out of hand.

se8xoejkptoh.jpg

The only thing wrong with this photo is that they are not mint in box.

I've never understood this mentality. They are toys and meant to be played with. heck I am collecting them and using them in games. They are more fun that way.

skeldareRidleySariaTamerBillDarth_MogspirateluigiAbsoluteZeroGeneral_Armchairfishfishmonkeyhatdarunia106Andy Joe
    dragonsama wrote: »

se8xoejkptoh.jpg

I've never understood this mentality. They are toys and meant to be played with. heck I am collecting them and using them in games. They are more fun that way.

The mentality comes from all those Star Wars figures that got played with in the schoolyard sand pit, and all those Action Comics that got read so many times the spine fell out, and all those baseball cards stuck to wheel spokes just so they'd make that sound.

And then you grow up and realize some of that shit could have made you fuckin' rich today.

Though I do agree with you on the notion. And no good ever came out of trying to predict the next collectible boom.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Artoria
    edited July 2015
    dragonsama wrote: »

se8xoejkptoh.jpg

Their mentality is that they'll be worth something...someday. It's cool that people want to keep them that way, but I like to play with them.

Bartholamue on
    Artoria
    Given that the Amiibo resale bubble is already deflating, I wouldn't bet on them being crazy valuable. At this point I'd only buy them if you genuinely like the character.

Dark Raven XXavier1216chiasaur11Artoria
    But think, in just 20 years, when Nintendo is long gone, that Mario figure could be worth millions! :D

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Amiibo are not going to be worth anything down the road. First of all there's way too many people collecting in-box amiibo. In 20 years if a collector wants to buy a set, there will be more than enough people selling. We will be lucky if they keep their value of $15 each.

Also, say you have 50 amiibos that you want to sell. You paid $15 each for a total of $750 (oh god why did I calculate that). Do you think anyone is going to buy your amiibo collection for more than $750? Even if you have a pristine complete collection, you'll probably only get $100 for it.

I keep my amiibo in-box because I know I'm going to want them still in their box in twenty years. I have no intention of selling those. I have some loose figures for using and those I will probably sell when amiibo are obsolete. I won't make any money on them.

AbsoluteZero
  • borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    -Abel- wrote: »
    @-Abel- I'll certainly take Toad if he's still looking for a home :)

Done. I'll PM you.
    Just a note that Toad arrived yesterday and -Abel- is a champ.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    The only reason things like old comic books, baseball cards, and 1980s transformers are worth anything is because no one thought they'd be worth anything.

If you're buying an amiibo as speculation/investment, you might double your money in 10 years. Of course by then inflation will have put a big mac meal at McDonalds at 28 bucks, so at least you get a lunch out of it.

Warlock82PolaritieLordSolarMachariusArtoria
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

se8xoejkptoh.jpg

So jealous of Terra figure.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Artoria
    edited July 2015
    McFlynn wrote: »
    The only reason things like old comic books, baseball cards, and 1980s transformers are worth anything is because no one thought they'd be worth anything.

If you're buying an amiibo as speculation/investment, you might double your money in 10 years. Of course by then inflation will have put a big mac meal at McDonalds at 28 bucks, so at least you get a lunch out of it.

This. Hell, that's the only reason amiibo are worth something now - Nintendo underestimated demand for certain characters (i.e. they didn't think they were worth producing) and they became scarse. Heck, even the original holy trinity wasn't particularly rare or hard to find until that stupid discontinuation rumor set everyone into a frenzy (i.e. Nintendo was probably mostly right, but scalpers probably cut into a lot of that supply... I think they still underestimated a bit tho, especially with the Fire Emblem characters)

Warlock82 on
    General_ArmchairMcFlynnArtoria
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

se8xoejkptoh.jpg

So jealous of Terra figure Goomy plushie.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    pirateluigi
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

se8xoejkptoh.jpg

That one too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    As long as people are clear on the fact that you can erase amiibo data and don't need NIB for a clean slate, yeah.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    So even though @Dirty was able to get me a Meta knight for me (my friend needed one), I saw one at Best Buy yesterday and snagged it, but the box does have a little crush in the corner of the clear part. If you want it, let me know! Also because @ForceVoid decided to overpay me for Wii Fit Trainer and refused refund (nice guy!), I'm just going to use the overpay to cover the shipping so just MSRP + Tax.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      RockinXXavier1216cloudeaglefishfishmonkeyhat
    • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
      Thanks @TimFiji , pay it forward!

fishfishmonkeyhat
    • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
      I got a delivery today!

5OIFwUa.jpg?1

M A G I K A Z A M
      PolaritieRiokennGeneral_ArmchairDarth_Mogspirateluigidarunia106ArtoriaDark Raven X
      edited July 2015
      I am so glad I ordered the japanese counterparts of Wave 5. It was so easy, and I already have them. Ganondorf looks amazing.

Bartholamue on
      LordSolarMacharius
    • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »

se8xoejkptoh.jpg

Goomy and Terra are the best things I found in Japan, and to think I only found both in my last week there too.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Just ordered Ness online so should still work

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      NaphtaliRiokennpirateluigiredfield85General_Armchairdarunia106Maz-FoolOnTheHill
    • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
      just got my jigglypuff in
      RWDFZKg.jpg
      well done, target

Brainiac 8SwashbucklerXXfishfishmonkeyhatpirateluigi
    • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
      just got my jigglypuff in
      RWDFZKg.jpg
      well done, target

That's worse than what Amazon sent me the Splatoon 3-pack because this actually has enough space if you place it the correct way.

A very good example of "you had one job."

General_ArmchairDarth_Mogs
    • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
      edited July 2015
      Just picked up ness and wario at the gamestop on market St sf they still have a couple left also charizard and toad

grim123 on
      Aww nutsack.
      steam_sig.png
    • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      I still haven't opened my Jigglypuff. I'm slightly afraid of suddenly wanting all Pokemon amiibo if I get started with the Puff.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      one-puff.png

RockinXPolaritieSaraLunaAndy JoeSwashbucklerXXfishfishmonkeyhatdarunia106Brainiac 8grim123pirateluigi
    This discussion has been closed.